Disappointed by the Mercenary

PirateMouse

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ther Merc is a great PVE class, however you will get facerolled about 8 out of 10 matches in PVP once someone gets in your face unless they are a horrible player. The lack of mobility hurts.

2 Talents to take a look at: Afterburners and Jet Escape.

This turns your rocket punch into hard CC with a 9s CD. Jet boost is now only 20s CD and AE hard CC and Electro dart for 4s hard CC. That's a god damn lot of CC to fight through just to meet the wall of heavy armor + energy shield.

My Merc is only level 28 so I still have much to see but I rolled a Sniper today and tested it around in pvp.

As all chars gets boosted to +- 12k hp and damage output alike...

The sniper actually hits much harder than my merc and it even has defensive against incoming ranged attacks.

That was kinda... a what the HELL moment for me.

Could easily get the 2.5k damage in one attack with the sniper without any pvp stim, cooldowns or debuffing where as with my merc mostly it's needed to pop a pvp stim, get debuffs up and so on to get it.

If you can't down your target, what good is it to turret those rockets untill your backs on fire?!

:mad:

Although it's probably been said and ignored already, as you pass the level 40 mark Unload starts to become a very important part of your dps. While tracer is still dominant you're quickly at a point where only about 50% of your casts are tracer and of the other 50% Unload is by far the majority.

Learn to play the class, you arent suppose to just sit there and turret like a idiot with tracer missile, with 2 measly points in healing tree you can have a two second big heal that can make or break wheather the ball carrier get to the other side, or you hold that last point, and when properly losing targets you can double your survivability by having the option to heal up, or shield + heal to tank people temporarily

If you want to be a dps bot and completely ignore all the heals you get on this class in pvp and pve then reroll to sniper

If you want easy mode, pick sorc

Edited by Bejita

Lol i liked this. That was a clean way to tell everyone to go F themselves. That's what happens with these threads though, people don't take the time to not only fully read the OP's post but fully read everyone else's response. Without that your response is outdated, non-contextual, biased and/or etc.

Hehe, yup. Like check this prize-winner out:

Learn to play the class, you arent suppose to just sit there and turret like a idiot with tracer missile, with 2 measly points in healing tree you can have a two second big heal that can make or break wheather the ball carrier get to the other side, or you hold that last point, and when properly losing targets you can double your survivability by having the option to heal up, or shield + heal to tank people temporarily

If you want to be a dps bot and completely ignore all the heals you get on this class in pvp and pve then reroll to sniper

Holy crap, Bejita. It's like you didn't read anything in the thread at all before posting! It's actually kind of hilarious seeing you argue so fervantly against things I never even said. xD

Might want to go back and read up before you post next time. Helps to stay on the actual topic. Just sayin'. ;)

Edited by PirateMouse

can you share your build please?

I have to say, I really am.

I can remember thinking Merc was the way I'd want to go because hey, guns akimbo goodness! Right?

Except the "guns" barely matter. You're basically either ARSEnal, and you spend all of your time bent over spamming missiles from your back, or you're a healer, and all you do is spam heals.

Or you go Pyrotech, and you're sort of supposedly a little more mobile than the Arsenal spec, but you're still basically just a turret with minimal kiting ability and CC when it comes down to it, only now you have less dps, too. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that pretty much anything a Pyrotech Mercenary can do, a Gunslinger can do better.

It just seems kind of strange to have "look, you get dual pistols!" as a defining feature of the Mercenary, and then you're basically never actually using your pistols.

That's why I wound up going Powertech in the end. If blaster pistols are sort of just barely even incidental to Bounty Hunters most of the time, then the lure of being able to dual wield them is sort of meaningless.

Just my two cents'.

Uh...yeah I've been topping damage and kills and Pyrotech most of the time, so maybe you just don't know how to play the tree, or actually DO just sit there and spam powershot/tracer missile and go "ohhh, look at the big numbers! I'm helping my team!"

Edit: Just wanted to say, if you can't deal with a Jedi Knight then your not using the tools the class has properly. The only Jedi/Sith class that really gives me issues in a stand up fight is Assassin/Shadow.

Edited by JohnAntilles

Im also very dissapointed in mercenary, I top damage meters in battlegrounds but one on one with most classes i die

I just don't understand. 1 v 1 pyro I was doing just fine. Gratned pyro you have to be smart and set up your burst at the right time to get him down and use the stun at the right time to. But i was by no means getting owned in 1v1.

I went to arsenal last night and OMGWTF spam a button FTW :p I hate looking like I need to take a crap every time I fire at someone but it is a very good spec and it is MUCH easier to set up a big burst to take someone the rest of the way down.

I hate the mobility loss of arsenal but I love the damage and pvp ability of the spec so I will stay in that tree until they fix pyro (hopefully they don't fix pyro by breaking arsenal).

However I will dabble in pyro once in a whle when I hit 50 and get the final ability. I want to get it and see how it goes, i think that ability + Railshot + stun + unload will provide a significant burst which as you know rules pvp.

(I use power shot as my main burst ability, it doesnt overheat me like tracer. )

Why does this idea that somehow tracer and power have different heat costs keep popping up? It isn't the first time I've seen someone mention a supposed heat difference between tracer and power shot, which absolutely doesn't exist. They have the same heat cost and cast time, so their heat usage is identical. In fact, over time, Tracer will use LESS heat than Power Shot due to it being a missile and therefore granting 8 heat loss from Terminal Velocity talent.

Kind of a moot point when you ignore all the people poking holes in your rant.

Like whom? I read the other posts, and it's mostly a lot of people arguing points I never made.

I never said that Mercenaries are incapable of dealing damage or not viable in PvP. I never said that with "my spec" I have problems, especially since I went Powertech when I saw what the Merc is all about, though no one seems to understand this no matter how many times I say it.

This was strictly about how the only really viable Mercenary DPS spec rarely ever actually uses those signature dual pistols and mostly just squats a lot. And don't tell me it's not the only viable one; even the person posting here to champion Pyrotech indirectly admittedly Arsenal is flat-out superior. Sure, you "can" make a Pyrotech work, but you "can" make a sling work in a firefight, too. It doesn't mean a Glock isn't still superior.

So who's poking holes in what here? Other than the people posting to say "I agree with you" and the one person who didn't exactly agree with me but noted that this is all I'm really saying (and I acknowledged that person), no one in this thread has said anything that addresses my actual point. Am I ignoring irrelevant, off-topic chatter? Sure. I'm not going to defend arguments I never made to begin with, and why should I?

Besides, it wasn't really about "arguing" at all, more just expressing my personal opinion about the matter. Feedback, really, more than anything -- and why not, since the devs do read the forums?

Seriously, you guys need to stop thinking every post is some kind of great personal challenge. Sometimes, it's just someone voicing personal feelings about a thing -- feelings that are clearly shared by a number of others, considering how many people posted just to say so.

Edited by PirateMouse

I think it's worth noting that the current FOTM Mercenary PvP build is a hybrid Arsenal/Bodyguard spec that relies very heavily on Tracer Missile to do damage.

As a level 50 7/31/3 Merc, I really don't spend much time spamming Tracer Missile in PvP. I essentially use it to build 5 heat stacks (3 missiles), and then I usually don't touch the ability again until the debuff is about to wear off. Arsenal has so many other tools at its disposal that use the guns. If you're not using Unload frequently as Arsenal, you're doing it way wrong. Also, standing there spamming TM in PvP is a good way to get lit up. You better be moving around using some of your instants or it's not going to go well for you.

While I appreciate the OP's point of view, it's just not realistic to the level 50 BH experience. Even a Bodyguard ought to be spamming Rapid Shots on their current target with every space GCD or they're doing something wrong. You can't stand there and spam Rapid Scan for very long without heat issues. Anyone who plays the class correctly keeps their heat below 40 nearly all of the time.

I think it's worth noting that the current FOTM Mercenary PvP build is a hybrid Arsenal/Bodyguard spec that relies very heavily on Tracer Missile to do damage.

As a level 50 7/31/3 Merc, I really don't spend much time spamming Tracer Missile in PvP. I essentially use it to build 5 heat stacks (3 missiles), and then I usually don't touch the ability again until the debuff is about to wear off. Arsenal has so many other tools at its disposal that use the guns. If you're not using Unload frequently as Arsenal, you're doing it way wrong. Also, standing there spamming TM in PvP is a good way to get lit up. You better be moving around using some of your instants or it's not going to go well for you.

While I appreciate the OP's point of view, it's just not realistic to the level 50 BH experience. Even a Bodyguard ought to be spamming Rapid Shots on their current target with every space GCD or they're doing something wrong. You can't stand there and spam Rapid Scan for very long without heat issues. Anyone who plays the class correctly keeps their heat below 40 nearly all of the time.

Love this reply, that's exactly what I do. You only use it at the beginning to stack the debuff and them only to reset it. Unload and railshot with power shot see used mostly

This was interesting and food for thought. It's certainly possible that the videos I saw of level 50 PvP Merc play were just ... frankly badly played Mercs, so that's something to take into consideration as a possibility. I'm far from convinced, and I still loathe the current Tracer Missile animation, but you've given me something useful to think about (and hope it's true!) if I ever decide to try a Merc someday in the future. Thanks for that.

And on the other hand ...

You are only capable of seeing the posts that agree with you, we get it. Go play a different spec now. Thanks.

Please only post if you're going to read first. I know you didn't read, because if you did, you'd know I'm already a Powertech, so telling me to play a different spec is silly given I've already done it and did before I ever started this thread.

Thank you though for reinforcing my point about the posts in this thread. Yours is an excellent example of why I've ignored most of them -- they're utterly irrelevant, border on trolling, betray total ignorance of things I've said repeatedly, and have nothing to do with anything I actually said.

This was interesting and food for thought. It's certainly possible that the videos I saw of level 50 PvP Merc play were just ... frankly badly played Mercs, so that's something to take into consideration as a possibility. I'm far from convinced, and I still loathe the current Tracer Missile animation, but you've given me something useful to think about (and hope it's true!) if I ever decide to try a Merc someday in the future. Thanks for that.

And on the other hand ...

Please only post if you're going to read first. I know you didn't read, because if you did, you'd know I'm already a Powertech, so telling me to play a different spec is silly given I've already done it and did before I ever started this thread.

Thank you though for reinforcing my point about the posts in this thread. Yours is an excellent example of why I've ignored most of them -- they're utterly irrelevant, border on trolling, betray total ignorance of things I've said repeatedly, and have nothing to do with anything I actually said.

I, for one, complained about the animation because it looked dumb to spam it. However, as soon as I got the move, I completely fell in love with it. Since you only use it at the beginning and when the debuff is going to wear off, you're not constantly spamming it

I think my Galaxies BH has forever ruined the experience here.

The BH was going to be my main in this game to continue my legacy from the other title, but the more i played it, the less and less I felt like a BH from the Star Wars trilogy and more and more something else as seen in books and other things.

As a result, the BH is now my soloist character and project - maybe at 50 I'll rediscover the love I once had, but I no longer have the burning desire to play a BH.

I understand that BH come/came in all different sizes and varieties, however, I feel the BH has gone way over the extreme direction of anti-trilogy -- and some of us really do enjoy the Boba Fett prototype.

Neither the Merc or the Pyrotech gives me that satisfaction and joy I had in Galaxies.

Based on this post I don't think you actually played a BH in SWG.

*Tracer Missile*

*Tracer Missile*

*Tracer Missile*

*Tracer Missile*

*Unload*

*DFA*

*Tracer Missile*

*Rocket Punch*

*Tracer Missile*

Rinse and repeat folks.

Idk, I like Arsenal so far in PvP. It's more of an Artillery class. You stand in the back and either Heal from a distance or DPS from a distance. I wish we were a little bit more mobile and had better pistol attacks too. But, I am happy with Merc atm.

*Tracer Missile*

*Tracer Missile*

*Tracer Missile*

*Tracer Missile*

*Unload*

*DFA*

*Tracer Missile*

*Rocket Punch*

*Tracer Missile*

Rinse and repeat folks.

Idk, I like Arsenal so far in PvP. It's more of an Artillery class. You stand in the back and either Heal from a distance or DPS from a distance. I wish we were a little bit more mobile and had better pistol attacks too. But, I am happy with Merc atm.

You're forgetting railshot, power shot, electro dart, jet boost, and definitely hs missiles

You're forgetting railshot, power shot, electro dart, jet boost, and definitely hs missiles

You are wrong TRACER replaces Power shot,

Rail shot is on par with Tracer shot damage they are interchangeable good as a finisher when someone is low on health. Railshot is dodgeable/miss Tracer missile is not. Why waste 300 stat points on accuracy when you can use it to up straight damage or crit.

Jet boost is not a DPS ability its for control.

Electro dart is a CC not DPS.

i will give u HS and HS is arguably a better finisher then railshot.

Edited by Tinymonky

You are wrong TRACER replaces Power shot,

Rail shot is on par with Tracer shot damage they are interchangeable good as a finisher when someone is low on health. Railshot is dodgeable/miss Tracer missile is not. Why waste 300 stat points on accuracy when you can use it to up straight damage or crit.

Jet boost is not a DPS ability its for control.

Electro dart is a CC not DPS.

i will give u HS and HS is arguably a better finisher then railshot.

HS isn't arguably better, it is better. Assuming 5 stacks of the buff/debuff, HS > Rail Shot. But there's no real need to choose between the two. I usually hit one right after the other. More often than not, TM>TM>TM>Unload>HS>RS = death, depending on crits.

At any rate, I don't use Power Shot very often. While it does comparable damage to TM, PS can miss. I find it easier to just use TM for the near-guaranteed hit. I don't recall ever seeing it resisted in PvP at least. I have enough accuracy through gear that the main-hand PS never misses, but the offhand does which puts PS < TM.

Either way, it doesn't matter if Jet Boost/Electro Dart are not DPS abilities, they are still abilities that get used frequently in PvP and nearly on cooldown if you are playing right.

The point here is that Mercenary does not stand there and spam TM over and over like some seem to think it does. Yes, the ability plays a large role in more than one spec, but it is not quite what people think it is. Not at 50 and not played correctly, anyway.