flashpoints dsiappointing -feels like fraud

Remember the vids showing us Esseless and Black Talon and extolling the virtues of the Bioware Flashpoint system? I sure do, and couldn't wait to dive right in. So far Ive done Esseless (and BT on dark side), Hammer, Athiss, Mandalorian, and Cademimu and you know what? I wont be wasting my time on any more of them.

Esseless and BT were awesome, my guildies and I couldnt get enough -we did them and redid them until we exhausted them. And then we tried the others I listed. When the first one had zero story and conversations except the quest pickup outside the door, we figured it was a fluke. After 2 we started to get worried. After 3 we thought, this can't be the high and mighty flashpoint system. After the 4th we realized it was just a bait and switch tactic on the part of the devs and marketing. There's always at least 1 non-voiced computer you reach where you can pick from 2 actions, one good one bad. It may as well simply read: What do you want? 1) light side points 2) dark side points -and then you can just get back to the world of star wars craft instance of boring endless combat.

You wont fool me again, Bioware. Your flashpoints are boring. If I didnt want conversation and story, Id just go play wow. Where's what you promised and advertised?

The heavy convo stuff is saved for class quests and heroics. If anything, I'm fairly happy with stuff like Hammer, because Esseles in particular can become a slog in terms of dialogue. I suspect they realized that if every instance was THAT dialogue-heavy, people would go nuts.

The first time you do one of them the dialogue might be nice, but after you have done em a few times it just comes down to waiting on the rest of the party if they don't skip it.

As far as my limited experience with lore evens inside instances go, i'd rather not have them in there if they take up more playtime than actually finishing the place and enjoying the thrill of combat.

Are there more dialogue type flashpoints beyond BT/Esseles?

I have run everything up to Mandolorian raiders.. and the one flashpoint i've re-run more then any other was black talon, I made a low level alt just so I could hitch onto guildmates groups just for another run through BT :p

I'll be quite disappointed if they were the only ones :(

There are more story based flashpoints. They're just not all like Esseles or Black Talon, and for good reason. Keep plugging away and you'll find what youre looking for.

thats good to hear, I enjoyed Hammer/Athiss/Mandolorians.. but really the first flashpoint was way ahead in terms of fun

they have all been insanely easy though :p

The first time you do one of them the dialogue might be nice, but after you have done em a few times it just comes down to waiting on the rest of the party if they don't skip it.

As far as my limited experience with lore evens inside instances go, i'd rather not have them in there if they take up more playtime than actually finishing the place and enjoying the thrill of combat.

we ran BT 6 times, making different choices, making some smart alec responses that ahd everyone laughing, changing the content by making different choices -we had a blast. We stopped becasue we'd out levelled them.

Are you seriously still running any particular flashpoints? I mean by the 5th time, along with some questing, they arent worth redoing as youve out levelled them.

If you think re-running an instance with convos 20 times is boring, I think running them without convos is even worse.

The convos was the selling point of this game. If the devs are smart, future FPs will have much more convo opportunities AND enough diverse choices to make numerous replays different.

Otherwise, the hack and slash wow in space is a joke.

No, me and my guild have the exact same sentiments. We had a blast in BT, figured Hammer was a fluke (but at least it had crew skill related effects on the FP).

Then Athiss, we tried it at lvl 17 and made it through to the Boss, couldn't do it due to a lack of some abilities. Redid this at 20 and it was a breeze. We were a little disappointed in how big a difference that made and the fact that we have yet to come across another conversation in a FP.

It does look like BT was made for advertising purposes and to get players hooked early. Then they just rushed out the other flashpoints. I do hope we see more like it in the later levels.

There are more story-based, conversationish flashpoints later. The two flashpoints on the White Nova ship are very good. Keep in mind that, while BT was extremely fun and exciting, going through that conversation repeatedly would get very old. It's just no realistic to expect conversation at every turn in every flashpoint.

THANK GOD there isnt more convo in further flashpoints.....This game would UBER FAIL if each flashpoint was like Esseles. Thnk about it.....having to wait on people through a long convo sequence everytime you want to run a flashpoint.......each one would take 4-6x longer than it should......I would quit so freaking fast if I had to repeat story each time I did a flashpoint....such a waste of time after the first time.

THANK GOD there isnt more convo in further flashpoints.....This game would UBER FAIL if each flashpoint was like Esseles. Thnk about it.....having to wait on people through a long convo sequence everytime you want to run a flashpoint.......each one would take 4-6x longer than it should......I would quit so freaking fast if I had to repeat story each time I did a flashpoint....such a waste of time after the first time.

You wont fool me again, Bioware. Your flashpoints are boring. If I didnt want conversation and story, Id just go play wow. Where's what you promised and advertised?

These are not the conversations you are looking for... *waves with hand*

Im level 30 now and have done every instance possible so far. The thing that stands out is ofc. the lack of convos, but also the boss mechanics. For lack of better positivity I'd like to point out how cool some of the boss mechanics are, and I sure hope Operations will be this challenging in the future! :D

The heavy convo stuff is saved for class quests and heroics. If anything, I'm fairly happy with stuff like Hammer, because Esseles in particular can become a slog in terms of dialogue. I suspect they realized that if every instance was THAT dialogue-heavy, people would go nuts.

/Agree...that many movies get ppl tired too.... leave as it is!!! wonderful game <3 it

Edited by imaitchoukow

Exactly, it gets very irritating after a few playthroughs.

I've probably done BT a dozen times over the course of a few beta builds and I've grown very tired of the dialogue.

Worst was when I did it twice in a row with the same group who picked the exact same responses and listened to every conversation again...AHHH!

Edited by Infalliable

I have the opposite stance of you. I really enjoyed Esseles, but even the first time I was doing it I was thinking "Yeah, no way i'm re-running this because I don't want to sit through the same stuff twice."

I absolutely love the story and it's one of my favorite things about the game, but I get a metric ton of story in my class quests, world arcs, and side quests. I run flashpoints for two things: A fun time with my friends/guildies, and loot.

Here's the thing: BioWare initially made a few Flashpoints for the game and put good story and conversation elements in them: Esseles, Black Talon, Tarval V (also known as Jedi Prisoner), etc... Then people clamored for more Flashpoints because some people just like to dungeon grind.

This is where Flashpoints like Hammer Station, Athiss, and Mandalorian Raiders come into play. They are built to be light on talking as they were built to fill the gaps between Flashpoints.

This does not make them lesser Flashpoints, but after being spoiled by Esseles/Black Talon I can see the concern. Just be aware there are more later with a lot of story.

Agreed, sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad

I'm actually glad the flashpoints aren't all like BT/Esseless. Doing that stuff with people who haven't read the dialogue is tedious as hell, especially when you're farming loot.

That said, the bosses still have tons of personality, the atmosphere is there and the flashpoints tell stories, just not interactive dialogue. The story behind Cademimu is VERY cool, it's kind of like a Star Wars version of V For Vendetta. The guy yelling out propaganda over loudspeakers, the people in the streets being rounded up and harassed by police, the open revolts by the population...proof that you don't need 30 minutes of canned choices to tell a compelling story of what's going on.

Also, the last boss (who is a bit buggy in terms of his mechanic) is hilarious in his smack talk.

Edited by Farabee