Republic: Do you guys even try/care about PvP?

Lium

Why would players work to build up their faction? It's easier to ***** about it and demand someone else do something about it. Gamers these days are too used to having all their problems solved by other people.

At some point or another, the people that complain about the state of the community need to grab a hold of some cojones and do something about it. It's actually rather easy. Follow these two steps: A) Increase your skill, and the skill of those around you, B) Get organized.

Putting up numbers in a warzone is largely mechanics. i.e. something that can be taught. Start there

So it wouldn't have to be their own cojones?

Is this an expression or just a fantasy of yours?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem isn't that there aren't those willing to teach. Heck, I'd spend hours chatting with people about how to better play on each map, how to use their class in each map, and even how to use their spec in general. I mean, I actually *have* done this often enough.

The problem is finding those willing to learn. As another said, any advice that is given is often treated as an insult or, in other cases, rejected as being unnecessary by those who think they know what they're doing already.

On top of that, how exactly does one get an entire faction organized? Do I start advertising "PvP classes" in the general chat and honestly expect for that to actually work or for it to be taken in any way other than to declare me a pretentious jerk? This isn't meant to be sarcastic... they're real questions for those who are suggesting that working to improve the faction's overall skill is a legitimate option. I'm willing to learn, here, so if there is something specific that would actually work to help make players around me better, I'm happy to consider the suggestion.

The problem isn't that there aren't those willing to teach. Heck, I'd spend hours chatting with people about how to better play on each map, how to use their class in each map, and even how to use their spec in general. I mean, I actually *have* done this often enough.

The problem is finding those willing to learn. As another said, any advice that is given is often treated as an insult or, in other cases, rejected as being unnecessary by those who think they know what they're doing already.

On top of that, how exactly does one get an entire faction organized? Do I start advertising "PvP classes" in the general chat and honestly expect for that to actually work or for it to be taken in any way other than to declare me a pretentious jerk? This isn't meant to be sarcastic... they're real questions for those who are suggesting that working to improve the faction's overall skill is a legitimate option. I'm willing to learn, here, so if there is something specific that would actually work to help make players around me better, I'm happy to consider the suggestion.

Start small. It's not a fast process, but it has been done before. It will grow on its own as long as it has a cornerstone to grow from.

And yeah, lots of people are willing to offer advice, and yeah, not all of them should be listened to. Good quote for this:

"There is something that is much more scarce, something rarer than ability. It is the ability to recognize ability."

- Robert Half

I agreee with most of you, theres alot of bad players on both sides. You guys must know that even those of us who dont think we are bad players make mistakes to. I am yet to see a prefect SWTOR pvp player. That being said, making mistakes and being dumb players arent the same thing. And on the pub side ive seen alot of DUMB players. Top heals/dps means very little if your team takes a L. Much better to have midboard anything and a win. Futhermore good, or great players dont have to stat chase they'll get good numbers regardless. Some dumb actions i just figure players dont understand the game. I play trooper heals, and it is rare if i solo q i get a guard/and or pills.

That being said, its alot better to q with a group of players you know arent bums. But i solo q alot, overall i win about 65% of the time. So winning on the pub side isnt that hard. I am not saying im the reason my team wins. I AM asking: If your team takes L's all the time, why dont you think its you? :confused:

I agreee with most of you, theres alot of bad players on both sides. You guys must know that even those of us who dont think we are bad players make mistakes to. I am yet to see a prefect SWTOR pvp player. That being said, making mistakes and being dumb players arent the same thing. And on the pub side ive seen alot of DUMB players. Top heals/dps means very little if your team takes a L. Much better to have midboard anything and a win. Futhermore good, or great players dont have to stat chase they'll get good numbers regardless. Some dumb actions i just figure players dont understand the game. I play trooper heals, and it is rare if i solo q i get a guard/and or pills.

That being said, its alot better to q with a group of players you know arent bums. But i solo q alot, overall i win about 65% of the time. So winning on the pub side isnt that hard. I am not saying im the reason my team wins. I AM asking: If your team takes L's all the time, why dont you think its you? :confused:

These are fair points, but of course you being a healer once again as in the case of some other posters makes an enormous difference for your own solo q success.

As for the question of whether or not people who regularly experience losses ought to blame themselves in some regard, there's a degree to which this is true, but by and large there's only so much one person out of eight can do, and it depends a lot on class, too. For instance, as one player I can have an enormously greater impact on my shadow, with its survivability and utility than on my (non saboteur) gunslinger, which depends heavily on having a competetive team around it to be able to effectvely survive and deal dps. Give me a crappy team and no healers and my slinger gets targeted and dies 12 times and, while still topping my team's dps chart, is cced and dead too often to make the objectives happen. Give me the same bad situation, and my shadow might be able to cap or help cap a point or stay on the map enough to prevent them from gaining objectives.

finally, I'd say that you can judge the relative "culpability" you have from patterns of players. If you always do well in the numbers and in the objectives, win or lose, if you are usually the only one scoring well and objective wise even in losses, if in your losses you consistently see the same teammates making the same mistakes doing as poor in the stat column and where objectives are concerned, then I think its fair to say youre not really a major problem.

These are fair points, but of course you being a healer once again as in the case of some other posters makes an enormous difference for your own solo q success.

As for the question of whether or not people who regularly experience losses ought to blame themselves in some regard, there's a degree to which this is true, but by and large there's only so much one person out of eight can do, and it depends a lot on class, too. For instance, as one player I can have an enormously greater impact on my shadow, with its survivability and utility than on my (non saboteur) gunslinger, which depends heavily on having a competetive team around it to be able to effectvely survive and deal dps. Give me a crappy team and no healers and my slinger gets targeted and dies 12 times and, while still topping my team's dps chart, is cced and dead too often to make the objectives happen. Give me the same bad situation, and my shadow might be able to cap or help cap a point or stay on the map enough to prevent them from gaining objectives.

finally, I'd say that you can judge the relative "culpability" you have from patterns of players. If you always do well in the numbers and in the objectives, win or lose, if you are usually the only one scoring well and objective wise even in losses, if in your losses you consistently see the same teammates making the same mistakes doing as poor in the stat column and where objectives are concerned, then I think its fair to say youre not really a major problem.

Yeah what youre saying i fully understand. Me being a healer does help some, and which class youre playing matters no doubt. One player rarley can change the outcome of a game. Maybe a score, or a cap. But change the whole game? hard to do. Even more so, 3 good players may not be able to help a team thats really, really, bad and dumb. Hard to do. So yeah I agree with you on that.

However I have the mindset that if my team is losing over and over. Theres has to be something I can do to change that. I hear people talking about pubs suck, or they still on the weekly on a friday. I dont care what class you play, if youre losing much more then you win. You have to at least start with yourself, everyone uses the easy excuse of "REPUBLIC SUCKS." Thats just a easy out! Those that say: Republic sucks, yet they are republic? they're saying they suck.

P.S. Skolops If i ever play with you, from what it sounds like i hope its on your shadow...

Republic try these quick tips to change your pvp life:

Fix 1: Q with people who can play. If you cant find anyone to q with then youre probably not any good. Good players most times welcome other good players

Fix 2: If solo q'ing and you lose, you better be the Michael Jordan of pvp to complain. If not then play better and q again.

Fix 3. When you see someone better at your class then you (there's always someone better then you) ask for tips. It will help you become better *see Fix 2*

Fix4: Reroll imp, and if youre still taking mega L's blame: sever lag, bioware, Obama! Anybody but YOURSELF. Its the Republic way.

youre welecome

Edited by Tha_Moe

Yeah what youre saying i fully understand. Me being a healer does help some, and which class youre playing matters no doubt. One player rarley can change the outcome of a game. Maybe a score, or a cap. But change the whole game? hard to do. Even more so, 3 good players may not be able to help a team thats really, really, bad and dumb. Hard to do. So yeah I agree with you on that.

However I have the mindset that if my team is losing over and over. Theres has to be something I can do to change that. I hear people talking about pubs suck, or they still on the weekly on a friday. I dont care what class you play, if youre losing much more then you win. You have to at least start with yourself, everyone uses the easy excuse of "REPUBLIC SUCKS." Thats just a easy out! Those that say: Republic sucks, yet they are republic? they're saying they suck.

P.S. Skolops If i ever play with you, from what it sounds like i hope its on your shadow...

Haha.... I'm actually fairly certain I've been in a few matches with your trooper on both the shadow and gunslinger. Won as I recall.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean by any stretch to say that a gunslinger or sniper is useless or can't do anything without a good team, but it sure makes an enormous difference. Give me a healer keeping the slinger alive in a voidstar and I'll have 500k Damage or more (topped somewhere in hte mid 8s on a long civil war) and be able to use my CCs and root to cap, stop caps, even peel guys off the healer. Give me that same voidstar without a healer and with a bad team and I'll do 250 - 300k and probably save 3 or 4 doors but in the end, still get killed 12 times and end up on the losing end.

I'm pretty sure it's not me when losing game after game on republic, just like I don't feel like I totally carried the team when winning game after game (imp v pub) on my imp toons.

It's about teamwork, bringing the right classes/specs, and having a higher density of non-mouthbreathers. It only takes one idiot who doesn't know how to avoid a leap to lose your competitive huttball match for you.

funny, imps usally have better team play, ill agree there...but, i see one guardian maybe one sent in pug grp, every imp team plays with 3 jugs and mara, big differnce no? why? bio gave us a free hand at a dumb spec. and imps use that spec to its fullest, b4 that buff, were you jugs hiding? what happened that you all of a sudden play you jug now? why? maybe learn to play in tank form bit better instead of being a one pump chump? your girls must love you guys....but im not flaming yous, you like it easy fast and simple... and if anyone anwsers this differently, if you think playing 5 smashers in wz is good for pvp, you havent seen anything, the game will be stale and old real fast, cause average players and stuff will leave the game... bio you are killing pvp buy making all these no talent players put up 500k with 2 moves, plse fix it and then we see how many jugs que up...watch...

and dont even say learn to play....you must get into fray to kill at times, with 3 to 5 smashers in every wz, you are going to get hit alot.... period. so plse nerf this spec and we see how many jugs are still up and 2 pump chumping...

There are always classes that have it easier then others; FoTM and OP classes. By no means am I saying that Rage Juggs are OP but good players adapt to the changes and find ways to win. Majority of the rage Juggs don't know how to play / properly execute their CDs anyway.

Yikes, Rage/Focus is most definitely OP. They got a needed fix and buffs for pve viability that overreached in pvp. As FeralPug put it on the pvp forum, "I'm having as much fun as the next guy, but let's not be stupid." (Not saying you are stupid...)

But capizm's point gets to the general disconnect between imp and pub attitudes. Imps will play the FotM class because that's what it takes to win. Pubs play their main because "I really like this big gun on my commando!"

But capizm's point gets to the general disconnect between imp and pub attitudes. Imps will play the FotM class because that's what it takes to win. Pubs play their main because "I really like this big gun on my commando!"

lol. im kinda guilty of this. i picked GS over Sniper because i wanted 2 guns instead of one. i picked that class/ac for different reasons but 2 guns was definitely a contributing factor. And personally, i dont roll fotms because i dont like leveling toons to 50.