Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

No advanced details??? Everybody knows that if you went to fatman already that you're screwed and will probably have to wait till paid transfers come in. If you already have characters on a server that is a server, that will remain up you should be allowed to transfer there. Our guild moved about a month ago to fatman and several others re-rolled there even earlier.

BW: way to punish those who have kept playing when we couldn't transfer our characters in the first place. Apologies for not making it sound like you are slapping us in the face fall on deaf ears... You're going to lose more people than you are trying to help. This is a huge flaw in your reasoning... Titanic 2 here we go...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really wish they would post a list of available transfer servers and destination servers. I would like to know what my options are.

My guild has been dead a while. They moved to a full server and I decided to wait and not level another character. I would rather join a guild on my server now if I am not going to be able to play with them. If I join one after I transfer I might not enjoy the people I play with and have to guild hop for a while to find the right place.

First of all, wow.

Most of you can spell, but there's a very strange thing going on here..

How can you play an MMO where communication between players, HECK even non basic speaking NPCs if you cannot spell the word SERVER? Or know the difference between WHICH, and a WITCH. What's happening? Is this real life?

Oh, and kudos on this, i can't wait to meet another bunch of folks to do warzones and stuff with!

Im excited about the xfers finally coming to fruition. However, if i cant xfer the characters i have created to the server that i already have toons on, then I will feel really let down. I want to xfer 2 lvl 50's to a server that i already have a lvl 50. If I understand correctly, the server of my choice may not even be a choice.

I am hoping that bioware will realize that consolidating your toons on a server is not the same as outright xfer to another server altogether.

I guess that once they release a list of destination servers things will be a little clearer. I for one know that the way bioware handles this is critical to whether many players keep playing or not..so...walk softly.:eek:

Also, if i already own a name on the destination server will i be able to xfer a toon and keep that name by deleting one i have there, or how does that work?

Sykotica

Edited by Sykotica
guild info changed

I agree. But instead of closing 5 servers and throwing everyone into server 6, why not close 6 and open up a new one? Same amount of resources, with added advantage of eliminating a lot of abandoned characters. So now, instead of having 30 servers with maybe 100 active players each, and many abandoned characters eating up resources, you now have 5 server with roughly 600 players each, and everyone has a reasonable shot at getting their names. Seems pretty win-win to me, don't really see why people would be so opposed to it.

I think you underestimate the number of active players this game has. My server (Krayt Dragon) has at least 600 active players at prime time and we're in the lower end of the top 20 North American servers according to TORStatus. Colonel Tobin (where I want to transfer a character from) has more than 100 active players at prime time, and it's ranked with all the rest of the 100 or so "dead" servers (with a ranking lower than 1.00).

If players from Colonel Tobin and 4 other low population servers transferred to Krayt Dragon, there would be more than 1,000 active players on Krayt Dragon at prime time. So, your calculation should be adjusted to around 20 North American servers with at least 1,000 active players each - probably more players (and possibly servers) as players return to the game once transfers are available. Not saying that's necessarily what they're going to do - just using your example.

I understand what you're saying about abandoned names eating up resources and preventing people from taking those names, though.

Edited by MadBlue

I'm happy transfers are coming, but I have one major concer that I would appreciate a dev or community manager response on:

Will we be able to see if another player on our destination server has our character's name before we make the final decision to transfer?

Note: This refers to a character's individual name, not the legacy name, which I understand we will have to change when we move regardless of if anyone has it and that is fine.

I personally would like to know beforehand if I have to change my character's name as this would ultimately effect whether I choose to move now or wait for paid transfers. As petty as it may be, my character name is hugely important to me and if I was forced to change it without advance knowledge (i.e. learning I must change upon logging into my new server and having a message pop up saying change your name now) I would be very upset. That is the one thing that would make me unsubscribe, as much as I wouldn't want to (yes I realize it's petty, but it's how I feel). I do NOT mean this paragraph to be seen as a poor attempt at blackmail, because I know the process is set in stone at this point. I just would like to know in advance if I will have to gamble on moving to a new server and losing my name or if I will at least get the courtesy of knowing before I make the decision.

***I apologize if this has already been answered...I checked the dev tracker and did a scan of this thread, but it is too long to read in its entirety.***

P.S. I know it is too late to change the transfer process...But I honestly would have preferred that decisions about who gets a character name be handled like DCUO did things last year, where:

1) Priority went to active subscriptions (i.e. someone who pays money to subscribe got priority over an inactive sub, DCUO was P2P at the time)

2) Priority went to active in-game players (i.e. if you had logged in in the last 30 days)

3) If both of the above conditions were met for 2 people with the same name, the person who had more active logged in time got to keep the name (this tended to ensure that people at least kept their mains' name).

Ultimately, I just think it is unfair that I could lose my character name to someone who hasn't played since January just because of which server I rolled on in early access (which was chosen for me based on registering a guild early).

Edited by Allyhoo

I think you underestimate the number of active players this game has. My server (Krayt Dragon) has at least 600 active players at prime time and we're in the lower end of the top 20 North American servers according to TORStatus. Colonel Tobin (where I want to transfer a character from) has more than 100 active players at prime time, and it's ranked with all the rest of the 100 or so "dead" servers (with a ranking lower than 1.00).

If players from Colonel Tobin and 4 other low population servers transferred to Krayt Dragon, there would be more than 1,000 active players on Krayt Dragon at prime time. So, your calculation should be adjusted to around 20 North American servers with at least 1,000 active players each - probably more players (and possibly servers) as players return to the game once transfers are available. Not saying that's necessarily what they're going to do - just using your example.

I understand what you're saying about abandoned names eating up resources and preventing people from taking those names, though.

I do agree that some servers that are being labeled as "dead" are really not as bad off as they seem. I play republic on one server, and empire on another. They're both labeled as "light", even though one gets between 300-400 at prime time and the other is lucky to see more than 50 at any time. So, I think the way servers are currently labeled can be misleading.

As far as population numbers, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. I'm not saying there should only be 6 servers total, I'm saying that a lot of servers (maybe between 30-40 of them) should be merged. But instead of doing a traditional merge, where say servers 1-9 go to server 10, servers 11-19 go to server 20, etc., this would be where servers 1-30 are all closed, 5 or 6 new servers are created, and the people of the affected servers get to sign up for one of the new servers in the order in which they joined the game, or give them the option to transfer to an already existing server. The catch being that it couldn't be one of the top 10 populated servers, to avoid them getting over-populated. Of course these numbers aren't exact, without knowing the exact numbers for each server it's hard to know how many servers need to be shut down and how many new ones created. The main point of my plan was that it would allow more people to keep their character and legacy names.

I'm happy transfers are coming, but I have one major concer that I would appreciate a dev or community manager response on:

Will we be able to see if another player on our destination server has our character's name before we make the final decision to transfer?

Note: This refers to a character's individual name, not the legacy name, which I understand we will have to change when we move regardless of if anyone has it and that is fine.

I personally would like to know beforehand if I have to change my character's name as this would ultimately effect whether I choose to move now or wait for paid transfers. As petty as it may be, my character name is hugely important to me and if I was forced to change it without advance knowledge (i.e. learning I must change upon logging into my new server and having a message pop up saying change your name now) I would be very upset. That is the one thing that would make me unsubscribe, as much as I wouldn't want to (yes I realize it's petty, but it's how I feel). I do NOT mean this paragraph to be seen as a poor attempt at blackmail, because I know the process is set in stone at this point. I just would like to know in advance if I will have to gamble on moving to a new server and losing my name or if I will at least get the courtesy of knowing before I make the decision.

***I apologize if this has already been answered...I checked the dev tracker and did a scan of this thread, but it is to long to read in its entirety.***

P.S. I know it is too late to change the transfer process...But I honestly would have preferred that decisions about who gets a character name be handled like DCUO did things last year, where:

1) Priority went to active subscriptions (i.e. someone who pays money to subscribe got priority over an inactive sub, DCUO was P2P at the time)

2) Priority went to active in-game players (i.e. if you hadn't logged in in thirty or more days)

3) If both of the above conditions were met for 2 people with the same name, the person who had more active logged in time got to keep the name (this tended to ensure that people at least kept their mains' name).

Ultimately, I just think it is unfair that I could lose my character name to someone who hasn't played since January just because of which server I rolled on in early access (which was chosen for me based on registering a guild early).

Just go to the server you have your eyes on and create a character with the name you want to use.

If it excepts (Meaning it has not been used). Delete the character and then transfer your character when prompted. Do this on the day you want to transfer.

Because you can do this you can create a character with that name then delete when your ready to transfer your real character.

All and all, they SHOULD put a name check before you hit play to save time. Same with Legacy. I do agree with some of those options from DCUO as some people may never return for a long time thus should not get to keep the name.

***I apologize if this has already been answered...I checked the dev tracker and did a scan of this thread, but it is too long to read in its entirety.***

2) Priority went to active in-game players (i.e. if you had logged in in the last 30 days)

^ Interesting method of handling it.

Valid observation though the whole subscribed active customers precedence over placeholder of ex customer ( unlikely to return ). Lets face it many players are gone for good and BW essentially building from ground up now

Im seriously pissed we cannot move from PVP to PVE, seriously

I wanted to move my character that i have spend 6 months investing time in to play with a group of friends, now i cannot

Only option left to me is start again

Thanks Bioware

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I share ur pain this is the whole reason y i might actually un-sub cause they wont do from PVE to PVP. Stupid move Bioware. Real Stupid. not happy at all i dont care if i have to pay to get my characters moved i just want them moved to my current server which is a PVP and my starting server was a PVE. im tired or re-rolling and dealing with Korriban & DK over and over. getting real boring

Just go to the server you have your eyes on and create a character with the name you want to use.

If it excepts (Meaning it has not been used). Delete the character and then transfer your character when prompted. Do this on the day you want to transfer.

Because you can do this you can create a character with that name then delete when your ready to transfer your real character.

All and all, they SHOULD put a name check before you hit play to save time. Same with Legacy. I do agree with some of those options from DCUO as some people may never return for a long time thus should not get to keep the name.

LOL I'll be honest I'm thinking of reserving my character name on as many servers as I can. The problem is I won't know where my server will be sent (assuming it is sent, as it's not the least active or most active out there) and if given the option I'd like to go where my server goes, because I like the people on it and I like my guild. I'm crossing my fingers that my server will be a destination server and it won't affect me at all, but I kind of doubt it.

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm glad they are limiting this to certain servers, that's a great idea. What bugs me is the fact they are going to keep all 100+ servers they have currently and allow people to move between them. This really doesn't solve the issue if you are already looking at a small population across the boards. Unless these servers are filled up and then closed down. You're looking at a similar issue in the future.

I would hope that once the transfers are over, they will then merge the dead servers. I would suggest change the poplation info from light/heavy/standard for those servers to CLOSING SOON and have a warning pop up for the idiots that still try to make characters on that server.

No advanced details??? Everybody knows that if you went to fatman already that you're screwed and will probably have to wait till paid transfers come in. If you already have characters on a server that is a server, that will remain up you should be allowed to transfer there. Our guild moved about a month ago to fatman and several others re-rolled there even earlier.

BW: way to punish those who have kept playing when we couldn't transfer our characters in the first place. Apologies for not making it sound like you are slapping us in the face fall on deaf ears... You're going to lose more people than you are trying to help. This is a huge flaw in your reasoning... Titanic 2 here we go...

This is exactly why I didn't bother moving Path of Destruction off of Kinrath Failure.

I KNEW something like this would happen.

Well, I knew there'd be no way in hell we'd all get to go to Fatman. Plus, they said months ago that transfers would be targeted initially.

I feel bad for you guys, but your guild leadership should have seen this coming months ago. Maybe they did.

What's actually happening here is server merging. Except it's voluntary.

Edited by islander

The whole point of my wanting to transfer, is to be where I am not the sole inhabitant of the server and also to bring my toons to my guild. Do I wait and hope you'll allow the guild AND myself to transfer onto the same server? I joined this particular guild after leveling my senior toon and want them on the same server. Will this or will this not be possible?

The arbitrary restrictions on this--like the server type restrictions--absolutely reek of a money grab.

This seems like something that 99% of people would have no need for because they like the type of server they are on but want the population issues fixed. I'm glad BioWare didn't waste time coding transfers across server types which most likely would have delayed this announcement. Not everything is a money grab, good work devs!

seems like we are doing server merging and calling it character transfer with the justification that we are allowed to stay on the dead server......

My advice would be to just do server Merges.

You don't want people to stay on a dead server after everybody already jumped ship.

From what I read, you can't consolidate all your character onto one server (yet).

Say from Nathema, Mind Trick, and Kaas City.

That really stinks as I was seeing this with 2 advantages.

#1 - high pop server

#2 - Bring all my character togetter.

I'm happy for transfers, dont get me wrong, but having to wait god knows how long to get all my toons togetter ?

Now that's crappy.

I really enjoy how Bioware makes server transfers out to be this huge deal, so much effort, blah blah blah. Makes me want to break out a violin and play them a sad song.

Every major recent game has had to do mergers/transfers. There is no reason they shouldn't have expected this and had something in place long before it is needed, not a month after it would have been nice to have.

Due to your complete lack of foresight and proper planning folks got tired of hanging out on dead servers and created toons elsewhere. Your system does not allow them to move their toons to the same server in a timely fashion, likely not even for free.

Overall I give your efforts a thumbs down. Transfers needed, glad to have them, but like everything else you have done since release its to little, to late.

I'm a little confused by something:

If you have already unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, the higher level Legacy will take precedence.

In the case of Legacy names, unless you have unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, you will need to rename your Legacy upon transfer (although you may pick the same Legacy name as on your origin server, if available).

Does this mean that if I move my Legacy from one server to another where I also have a Legacy with a different name that the first Legacy name will override the 2nd or will I also get the choice to rename my Legacy?

This seems like something that 99% of people would have no need for because they like the type of server they are on but want the population issues fixed. I'm glad BioWare didn't waste time coding transfers across server types which most likely would have delayed this announcement. Not everything is a money grab, good work devs!

Are you high????? how is this in any way a good thing. I guess im in the 1% that want PVE-PVP transfers cause i want all my characters together. that or u have never had to re-roll a character b4. again in classic EA/Bioware fashion there trying to push something out too fast and not taking there time to do it correctly. We (the community) want everything yesterday and expect it to be in working order as well. That has to be the biggest contradiction i have ever heard. dont get me wrong i want transfers as much or more then the next person but i want it done right. i wouldnt mind waiting another month maybe 2 for character transfer if it were to be done right (ie. PVE-PVP transfers). When u rush u have to cut corners and leave things out that u want to put in and that is how u get half-assed content updates. You may be glad well good for u. Dont presume to know what other ppl think or want thats just being ignorant.

Edited by Stalinwolf