BioWare: Change the final fight please (major spoilers)

Maylander

Just want to provide some counter feedback. I avoided this thread until I hit the final fight, and after my first go around ended with only having done maybe 15% hp worth of damage, I looked around briefly online.

Number one tip that helped me: Ignore the clones. I believe the time I won (three tries) I used call on the force mid fight. Not so much for saberward as for the healing on T7. Could be wrong and I burnt it on the previous try.

Anyways, I walked up to the emperor's throne, hit him with a zealous strike. He jumped to the middle of the room and spawned clones, I leaped to him. After that, I just poured on DPS until he died. T7 actually survived the entire fight that round, which surprised me since he evaporated the first go around.

Class: Focus Sentinel, 2 pieces of Champion gear, rest around 50 modded or blue/purple

T7 Gear: about 2/3s of the companion rewards from Corellia, some lower level parts (motors, one core, maybe around L20).

Oh, and I saved my companion.

I was very fortunate to group with a 50 knight on Corellia who warned me T7 was my only companion option on the final fight, so I intentionally chose his gear rewards on Corellia.

Edited by shadowflit

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matter of a fact is that you can't do it as defence spec its impossible, I had a sentinel come with me and he just nuked the boss down by the 2nd load of adds while I just tanked him its a joke, you cannot solo as defence I don't care if someone comes in and say you done it as any other spec except defence you dont pull enough damage on the boss I got him to 10khp before I died taking stims, health potion and my cds. The fact is you need a healer to do this and T7 is no healer just a beeping noise who annoys you.

Unless ofc you outgear the damn thing and the boss hits you for 200hp.

Also I'am no noob I soloed all bosses np except for the one on belsavis as he is tanked by adds :p

Edited by Viriathus_PT

Ok. That's the first wave of adds. What about the next two-three waves? Awe has a too long cooldown to be usable more than once. I guess I could kite the emperor around a pillar until awe comes off cooldown, but is avoiding the fight for a few minutes really the intended mechanic? This is all assuming that they spawn close enough to each other, which they don't.

I can't interrupt the boss often enough even with three different interrupts because only one of them is on a short cooldown and the boss chain casts spells that take down 20-40% of my health every 5 seconds. Even if I managed to interrupt everything his channeled spell (don't remember the name, but it's the channeled lightning that snares) takes 5-10% of my health on the first tick before I can interrupt. This means that if all the adds decide to start casting that spell at the same time they eat half of my health within a second from spawning before I could even use awe (never seen all of them do it, but I've seen 3 at the same time).

Cyclone strike does nothing to the adds. I've wiped 3 times to test this, they are immune to cyclone strike.

Using LoS behind pillars kind of works when the adds spawn just right, when they don't I can LoS three of them while the other two just snare and nuke me to death.

I will keep trying today because I have a few more strategies to try, but anyone saying that he can be taken down with normal interrupts or cyclone strike or line of sight exploits is obviously talking about a different fight than I see.

Set 1 Awe

Set 2 AoE taunt/Saber Ward T7 AoE attack (This will kill 3-4 of the adds) knock down the leftovers go back to the boss.

Set 3 Awe

Done.

trash mobs in temple are insane without Doc, t7 is pointless piece of metal in this quest, do something bioware, you got 24 pages of complains and still did nothing, if you planning to do next content so dumb, this will be without me if you can not even balance one solo quest -_-

Hey folks!

If you are unable to solo this fight, please give us a bit more information as requested below:

1) Did you save your companion?

2) What is your advanced class and tree spec?

This fight is designed to be soloable by fully utilizing your interrupts. You should not need to use any LOS tricks, etc, but we will take a look at exactly which circumstances are making this fight undefeatable for some players.

Thanks for your help!

1) No (I read this thread and assumed it would make it easier)

2) Sentinel / Watchman

So I did manage to solo the Emperor as a Sentinel after about 20 attempts and that's after having read many posts about the fight beforehand (such as this thread). My gear was ~ average ilevel 106 (12,000 HP) with reasonable stat allocation and a reasonable spec including Watchguard (6s kick/45s Pacify), Defensive Guard (+1 centering and 2% int/ele damage reduction) and Force Fade (100% immunity Force Camo) and like 5 points in "useless" PvP talents. T7 had ~ avg ilevel 76 gear, I didn't do the puzzle. My gear was mediocre.

I finished the fight with 68 HP. Until that moment I thought this fight was essentially unbeatable or I would have started recording it to help others.

I used no stims and 2 lower level med packs (3k heals each).

This fight absolutely requires using "LOS tricks" and Awe. The fight is too difficult. I think I'm pretty good at this class, I have good key binds, my mouse has lots of buttons and LED lights that change color. I don't remember a single "boss" fight in the class quest line until the emperor, everything else was T7 tanking and then Doc healing face roll.

I tried to imagine how the encounter designers must have intended me to defeat the this without LOS; I don't think it's possible.

As everyone's said you need to use all your interrupts, the 6 second kick isn't enough, you need to use Force Stasis and Force Leap on the Emperor when he casts. When I was vulnerable to damage (when I wasn't LOS'ing) I used all the defensive cooldowns, Saber Ward and Rebuke weren't enough, inevitably I'd make a small mistake (usually when switching pillars) and I had to use Force Camo (if higher health) and Guarded by the Force (at low health) to survive. I don't know if Pacify did any good, but I used it out of habit. To defeat the clones I used Awe when they clumped together by LOS'ing them after spawning, this allowed me to 1 hit kill most of them without taking unsurvivable damage, once it wore off I used defensive CD's and more LOS to take out the rest. To get things off cooldown between phases I played a lot of LOS hide and seek (25-60 seconds). The whole fight took maybe 5 minutes.

I stood on the stairs and sent T7 in tank mode to suicide against the Emperor for the pull, it's essentially a free Awe since all the clones run to him. T7 will always die in P1.

This final quest was an enormous let down for a lot of reasons. The trash using T7 was tedious and infuriating. You can skip some of it and this is the capitol of the Empire, but it takes a while and I think a lot of people will get frustrated on the boss fight and leave, only to have to do it again. I was worried about running out of money on repairs.

For the fight itself, casual and even many experienced players will not be able to beat this solo. If this were a single player game where you could save at the Emperor and make repeated attempts without respawn timers or repair bills or GTN auctions then the difficulty might work, but in an MMO I think most people will spend an hour or so on a solo boss before they give up. When I hit 50 all I wanted to do was do the dailies to gear up, but I was blocked by this atrocious final quest and it made me absolutely livid. I'm guessing the encounter designers wanted the Emperor fight to be epic instead of a simple DPS/interrupt encounter, but this felt more like trying to take down a concrete wall with my fists, even though I succeeded I don't feel like I won anything.

This quest should have been a final test for everything Jedi Knights learned on their journey from 1 to 50, this fight... I don't know what it wanted me to do.

Edited by DanChart

Fight Summary

A bit about the fight. The percentages won't be exactly right because this was from observations I had made. The Emperor summons his adds 3 times during the fight. At 100%, 70ish%, and 50-40%. The Emperor will ONLY cast spells that hurt a lot! So you need to constantly watch out for him even while killing his adds. Many people get to the 50% mark and then somehow get one shotted. That is his Force Blast ability. Right after he spawns his 3rd set of clones he will start almost chain casting this ability. If one of these hits you it will most likely result in a frustrating death. This fight is incredibly hard but by no means impossible. It can still be done in legitimate ways without relying on bugs and cowardly tactics!

A Very Detailed Emperor Strategy for Jedi Guardian Defense Specced

First Set of Adds: The fight is doable even for a T7 with level 14 gear and a bit of luck. T7 has an ability called EMP Blast or something similar which wipes out all of the Emperor's clones in one hit. Activate it for T7 to use. I suggest when first starting the fight to have T7 take the hate and use his EMP blast to get rid of his first set of clones. Before he dies make sure to use Saber Ward and Call of the Force. You should be nearly at full health with the CotF HoT on you. Once you kill his first set of adds it is just a matter of interupting his abilities which you have many means to do so. For this fight you have to utilize a lot of moves. Use any means necessary to interupt his casts. Force Push, Force Stasis, Kick, Hilt Strike, Force Leap, and if your all out of options hide behind a pillar.

Second Set of Adds: At 70ish% health he will summon his second set of adds. If you are lucky T7 might still be alive to drop his EMP bomb. If not, use Awe once all the adds have come into range. Don't worry about interupting the adds abilities, just worry about killing them. They usually die with one hit by a special ability. So during the duration of the stun try to kill as many as possible. If adds are still up after the duration of Awe use Force Push or Force Stasis to distract the real Emperor. If you end up getting around 60% health or below this is the time to use some CDs. Saber Ward should be up again if you used Call of the Force before your companion died. Once the adds are down you can either fight it out with the Emperor or stall for time to wait for Awe to come back up by LoSing the Emperor and interupting him.

The Last Set of Adds: This is the most difficult and pivotal part of the fight. As soon as he spawns his 3rd set of adds he will start casting Force Blast. If not interupted this move WILL KILL YOU. If Awe is back up don't hesitate to use. Use Warding Call, Enure, Medpacs, ANYTHING to help. Kill as many adds as possible but make sure to keep an eye on the Emperor! You have to interupt Force Blast. If you are able to kill the adds you have the fight. The Emperor will ONLY cast Force Blast and luckily it has a very long cast time.

If you have any questions feel free to reply and GL with the Emperor.

Edited by Torith

I think a key point is if you run up and down the hallway you will always have Awe up when he spawns the adds. He is slow and just the curves of the hall mean he can't really be damaging you at all and you have time to recharge awe and medpacs.

Try taking time in bringing him down so you don't have 3 sets of adds right away This adds about 5 minutes to the fight but seems to make it tons more doable.

I think a key point is if you run up and down the hallway you will always have Awe up when he spawns the adds. He is slow and just the curves of the hall mean he can't really be damaging you at all and you have time to recharge awe and medpacs.

The point, though, is that the developers said this fight was calibrated without LOSing the emperor or his clones. At no point should you have had to run down the hallway just to refresh a CD. Supposedly, you're able to fight the emperor like every other battle you've had in your Knightly career and win.

Yet every successful guide involves kiting, LOSing, etc. Even though who optimized their interrupts at every turn were LOSing just to renew their cooldowns.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME BIOWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently got to level 50 and began the end mission to find out i HAVE TO USE THE WORTHLESS PIECE OF TRASH THAT IS T7. I haven't even touched his gear since level 15. GREAT FREAKING JOB BIOWARE. Who's stupid idea was this????? So i guess this means that i just have to forget about ever finishing my jedi knights class story because there is no way i'll be completing it with my squishy sentinel. There probably isn't a lot of people at level 50 yet, but once there is, these forums will be exploding with angry people. Great job at making the most iconic star wars character worthless in this game. Thanks for nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: And to top it all off, i realized i can't even go to ilum now!!!!!!! First i get the Kira bug and can no longer romance, then the Doc bug, then i spend days searching belsavis for those stupd rakata cubes to get my matrix cube, AND NOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I would really ask for is to just be able to use whatever companion i want. Let me use the companion i've spent all my money and time gearing up. And to not be forced to use one that is worthless.

Edited by Storf

As you can see from recent posts by Chris Schmidt and now by Cameron Winston, the combat team has heard the feedback given here and elsewhere.

Read Cameron's post for more info.

Thank you so much guys. SWTOR has, overall, been a remarkable experience with this being one of the few incongruities. My only gripe is that after it's fixed new Jedi Knight 50's won't appreciate the MAD SKILLZ it took some of us to defeat the original encounter :)

I want to add, if the Centering/Fury stack count could be integrated with the HP & focus bars, it would be a beautiful thing.

Edited by DanChart

I completed this quest at level 48. After an hour or so of messing with trash and an eventual mad suicide run into the temple only to find more trash. I found this to be really tedious with T7, who wasn't super geared but he wasn't horrible either as I used him up until I got doc, but he's a squishy little tin can. I eventually just got frustrated and got my bf to come heal me.

Overall I have really enjoyed my JK and I loved the class storyline, I miss it actually. I wanted to take my time to level for several reasons but I found myself blasting through areas just so I could keep the story going. Sadly now I am 50 and stuck in the daily quest hell grind waiting for more guildies to hit 50 for raids and such. Plus the multitude of alts I've been working on as well.

Hello all. Finished this quest last night. Im in almost full pvp epics, with a moddable helm and mainhand saber. Wiped the first 3 times. T7 only lasted the first round. Trick to beating the encounter is losing him and his adds with the pillars.

Watchmen spec helps alot too.

After reading through this thread I expected a horrible, impossible battle that I would never defeat...

Went there at level 49 as a guardian in level 40 PvP gear and a T7 in level 36 greens and killed him in 2 attempts. He's a caster, the designers put Line-of-sight points in the room, it's a fairly well done encounter all around I thought. It just requires you to be on the ball.

To say I am mildly dissapointed is an understatement.

This fight is impossible. I've nearly gone broke equipping myself and my T7 with gear, medpacs and stims. My T7 is dropping dead before a single one of the first group of adds is defeated.

You know I understood this battle was difficult and it should be. But this is impossible. What a terribly frustrating and annoying end to a fun story.

As a Jedi Knight Sentinel who completed the entire game without need for help, often doing fights multiple times to work out how to win, I find this final fight to be insulting as a player. Now I have to beg for help in order to end my story. What a let down.

That leaves the entire personal story and the most climatic part of it, a complete and utter fail.

Does anyone have a link to something that can help this? This is a bad joke.

Edited by Tinasa