Changes to GSF part 1: components that are absolute trash

cheese_cake

Introduction

It's been about 3 years since the major GSF changes. The last major change was greatly appreciated. It allowed many builds and ships to become viable -we now have to carefully pick the five ships we want on our bar. The meta is much more diverse because of it. Updates to the game-play feels due. The developers might not have plans for major GSF changes, but that should not stop us from discussing it.

Let's talk about changes to GSF. This will be a 3 part discussion. Part 1 will focus on components that are obsolete. Part 2 will focus on the discussing solutions to help obsolete components become viable. Part 3 will involve coming to a community consensus from the previous two discussions.

In this first part we will stick to discussing components that are tremendously underwhelming to pick considering the other options available. I encourage you to focus on components that definitely need love rather than components that could use some love.

The format:

• Suggest a component you believe is utterly terrible.

• Gives your reasons why.

Feel free to discuss/ dispute the components and rationale others have provided. However, please save suggestions for fixes/buffs for part 2 and discussions about overpowered components for a different thread.

Edited by cheese_cake

Here is my first entry as an example:

Ion mine

Mine are already very easy to avoid/ counter. Either fly away from them or use an EMP ability. Ion mine is a systems ability so a bomber can be locked out of using it. When a target does allow themselves to get hit by the ability Ion mines do not do enough. Other mines are able to remove a target's shields as sufficiently well as ion mine & do lasting hull damage. Ion mines' primary effect is also easily shrugged off with the use of a shield ability -with Quick Charged Shields it is just the press of an ability, with Distortion Field and Directional Shield it is merely a matter of flying defensively for a few short seconds.

The bottom line is mines are already weak in the current meta. & the effects of ion mine in particular can be easily negated.

• 2 weeks later...
Changes to GSF: Undo the changes in that god awful 5.x patch and nerf gunships and bomber drones, remove group queues, and ban hackers.

Think you somewhat missed the point of the post. Gunships dont need nerfing, perhaps you just need to know how to counter them? I'm not abig fan of dominant premades, but its an MMO, removing group queues is silly. Hackers, I bet my bottom dollar the people you think are hacking are not.

Changes to GSF: Undo the changes in that god awful 5.x patch and nerf gunships and bomber drones, remove group queues, and ban hackers.

"Darn it!! We would have surely won the game if it had not been for that darn hacker!" < - Thought that I've never had to think. Despite flying thousands of matches. Sometimes, some bomber ends up getting lag spikes at very comfortable moments so reliably that it makes me go " hmmm". That's closest thing to a " hack" I ever remember seeing in GSF.

More on topic:

Remote slicing and EMP field. There are things about these things that I quite like. Is nice to have a powerful anti-ace solutions available. These are also relatively new player friendly. Cooldown vs duration combines into a bit too powerful component for a no aim ability though. Like 5-10 seconds longer cd for both would be nice.

Guess you mainly after components on opposite end of the spectrum but hey.

Edited by Stradlin

Changes to GSF: Undo the changes in that god awful 5.x patch where strikes were able to be played so just nerf strikes and also nerf gunships and bombers, people better than me, and people so much better than me that I think they are hackers

This paraphrase seems more accurate.

The real issue here is that this thread actually has potential to address "components that are absolute trash", and yet you still came in here and tried to crap the thread up with offtopic nonsense, such as "nerf everything except the scout I play".

On topic:

No one seems to take the extra capacity magazine. No one took it before, and no one takes it now. How much bigger could this extra capacity magazine be? Like would 100% be enough, or would it have to basically be infinite?

It's rare to see someone running regeneration reactor.

Ion Missile is the least used and probably worst missile. I don't think it's *absolute* trash, but it's reasonably close to unused. The missile got a decent number of buffs- it is easy to lock on, has an enhanced range that is second only to the torpedoes, and does a lot of damage, and isn't totally garbage on hull. But it is still limited by EITHER of:

1- For a shield dps missile, it has far too long of a cooldown. As a dps missile like concussion missile, it needs a much lower cooldown.

2- For a CC missile, it has a somewhat too long lockon and its CC effect of snaring a target is far too short a duration.

Now, the actual truth is that this missile is supposed to be a hybrid, neither really a control effect nor dps. It brings solid burst to a targets shields- more damage than anything else in the game- but it often lands this damage on a target who has already had its shields stripped OR a target who has already blown past you and is evading. In both of these cases, it contributes very little. Regardless, I would love to see it made a bit more focused in one of these directions- either increase the snare a bit and lower the lockon time, or see what it looks like with concussion's cooldown.

Ion Mine - This has been brought up in the thread. I don't know what to do with Ion Mine, truthfully. I honestly think that being hit with ion mine should probably destroy your entire shield arc- say something like 10000 shield damage, but with 1/100th damage being dealt to hull or something (each Ion weapon seems to have its own conversion here I think). I don't know if this would be enough, really. The debuff could be made much more annoying- compare to the interdiction mine duration, which is excellent and does its job. Basically, if this mine is going to be about its role as destroying power and shields, it really just needs a better debuff and the damage could be left alone.

Booster Recharge- I wonder what side effects could be granted to this. How can this be good?

Let's talk sabotage probe yet again.

This thing could be decent, but it have so long lock on time it's actually useless unless combined with EMP field on T1 scout.

When flying T2 with sabo probe, you will be shot 10 times out of 11 while you're trying to land it. Maybe needs increased range? Dunno really.

Ion missile - pretty much what Verain said.

Munitions extender - i use it on my piledriver sometimes, 20 cluster missiles is simply not enough unless im flying in premade with someone with reloads. But there are more useful options for sure. Needs buff.

Now about components that deserve a nerf.

Proton torpedoes in it's current state are "press X to win". Even a blind deaf comatose lobotomy patient can score 15-20 kills in strike ship or T3 bomber with protorps. Removed DoT or increased lock time would be nice.

Remote slicing is decent tool against premades, gunship walls, and even bomber nests to some degree. But it's short cooldown makes it a bit overpowered in casual dogfights. Add 5-6 seconds to CD and it will be nice.

Let's talk sabotage probe yet again.

This thing could be decent, but it have so long lock on time it's actually useless unless combined with EMP field on T1 scout.

When flying T2 with sabo probe, you will be shot 10 times out of 11 while you're trying to land it. Maybe needs increased range? Dunno really.

Literally any decent-ish buff will make Sabotage probe good. The question is, do you want it to be good?

Anyway, shortening the lockon by any amount will push it to the meta. But it's not garbage right now- it is not, as the thread says, "absolute trash".

Now about components that deserve a nerf.

How about go make a thread for that? Sylvi clearly made the thread to be about things that need a buff, so we could have a useful discussion completely free of people trying to crap all over their pet peeves. That's literally the point of this thread. Go make a thread where you ask for

Proton torpedoes in it's current state are "press X to win". Even a blind deaf comatose lobotomy patient can score 15-20 kills in strike ship or T3 bomber with protorps. Removed DoT or increased lock time would be nice.

Nah, it's not that good. It already has downsides versus just straight up concussion missile. Are protons overtuned? Yea. Are they OP? Not really. I'll recommend the same thing I've been recommending since they got buffed- the lockon time needs to be slightly increased. If that doesn't budge their dominance at all, maybe it can be slightly increased a second time.

Anyway, go make a thread to complain about proton. That's not this thread.

Anyway keep your advices to yourself. Or better, stay silent. We already have heard how much you and your guild are enjoying the braindead protorp meta.

We don't really need 100500 threads discussing pretty much same things so i guess ill continue here. Also, complaining about protorp is relevant to this thread bc any other secondary weapon component is trash-tier useless in comparison. :p

Edited by Kraysk

Anyway keep your advices to yourself. Or better, stay silent.

Lol, no.

Also, can you please take useless crap out of this thread? Sylvi was very clear on the topic. It's literally in the title.

We already have heard how much you and your guild are enjoying the braindead protorp meta.

It's the best meta GSF has ever seen. But everyone I play with is ok with, and in many cases has requested, a small lockon increase, since the patch that decreased it. But yea, this meta is great, and if you aren't having fun now, you'll never enjoy GSF for real.

We don't really need 100500 threads discussing pretty much same things so i guess ill continue here.

How about don't? No one in this thread wants to read you crying about proton. Go cry in a proton thread, or make one. We don't need our one useful balance thread, with a very specific and useful topic, crapped up by more nerfbegging. Again, this thread is for "components that are absolute trash". This lets us talk about the decent number of components that need buffs, with a bunch of offtopic stuff about proton torpedo, remote slicing, interdiction drone, railgun sentry drone, or whatever the kids are raging about today crapping up the discussion.

Also, complaining about protorp is relevant to this thread bc any other secondary weapon component is trash-tier useless in comparison. :p

Not even remotely relevant. Concussion missile is good, EMP missile is actually the best missile (better than proton!), all railguns are better than proton, cluster missile is good, and seeker mines are good. In fact, every missile except ion is perfectly usable. That's why I'm not trying to buff every single missile to bring it up to proton's level.

Ion Missile is the least used and probably worst missile. I don't think it's *absolute* trash, but it's reasonably close to unused. The missile got a decent number of buffs- it is easy to lock on, has an enhanced range that is second only to the torpedoes, and does a lot of damage, and isn't totally garbage on hull. But it is still limited by EITHER of:

1- For a shield dps missile, it has far too long of a cooldown. As a dps missile like concussion missile, it needs a much lower cooldown.

2- For a CC missile, it has a somewhat too long lockon and its CC effect of snaring a target is far too short a duration.

Now, the actual truth is that this missile is supposed to be a hybrid, neither really a control effect nor dps. It brings solid burst to a targets shields- more damage than anything else in the game- but it often lands this damage on a target who has already had its shields stripped OR a target who has already blown past you and is evading. In both of these cases, it contributes very little. Regardless, I would love to see it made a bit more focused in one of these directions- either increase the snare a bit and lower the lockon time, or see what it looks like with concussion's cooldown.

Ion missile could probably focus more on the crowd control angle. Other niches are well covered by the rest of the missiles. I think it would be a good candidate to move the Weapons and Engine power drain from the Ion Railgun and Remote Slicing to. For how powerful drain is, it needs a way to be avoidable, and Ion Missile is perfect for that. Increase the drain from 20 to 60 or maybe even 80 and you have a terrifying weapon.

Edited by Urthal

Has Rotational Thrusters ever not been garbage? Seriously. There's no reason at all to choose that one. It kind of sounds interesting but compared to your other options, there's no point. It's so bad you've probably never seen it being used and may have forgotten that it existed. I dunno how you'd make it good, though. Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Has Rotational Thrusters ever not been garbage? Seriously. There's no reason at all to choose that one. It kind of sounds interesting but compared to your other options, there's no point. It's so bad you've probably never seen it being used and may have forgotten that it existed. I dunno how you'd make it good, though.

Can be very useful for quick target switching and great in a dog-fight to quickly turn and face your target. Down side you lose that primary missile break. If it broke missiles too I would use it. But would that make it a bit OP?

• 1 month later...

I can only speak from a T1/T2 Scouts perspective, as it's literally all I play.

-Rapids are still kind of in the gutter. They're stronger than before thanks to armor ignore, but still lacking in overall killing power. They do a good job of preventing shield regen if you can stay on target, but if you're even semi-accurate in a turning battle then BLC's blow them out of the water anyway.

Clusters I'm not so sure about. They have a short lock-on and ammo is plentiful, but it seems like any ship except a Scout just scoffs at their damage. More and more I'm finding that pods are overall more effective, particularly when it comes to jousting and popping/deroosting gunships (especially since the lock-on sound can scare a Gunship off before you can unload on them). But they don't pair well with the range and firing arc of BLC's, IMO. They're better suited to Lights.

Hence why I have my T1/T2 Scouts set up differently, T1 with Lights/Pods and maximum speed for jousting, attacking satellites and gunship popping, and T2 with BLC's/Clusters and maximum turning for dogfighting and satellite defense.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. Yeah, Rapids are better than they were before the revamp, but still nothing spectacular.

Sabotage Probe is junk as well. Too long of a lock-on time to be of any practical use.

Sabo probe is fine, it's hard to use (short range, long lock on time, but a decent firing arc), but the travel time is almost instant and the effect is devastating. Any buff to it would require a nerf to the travel time.

Interdiction Drive seems pretty bad as well. Effect is ok, you lose your missile break, the cooldown is quite long and the engine power cost is incredibly high.