Class populations

Xizidor

I was hoping to get some people in here to post class distributions for their servers/factions.

I think it could help the people that are asking which class is most/least popular. Also, it can show which classes are in need of help.

I gathered this data by searching /who [class] [level bracket]. I did 10-19, 20-29, etc. My server is Saber of Exar Kun Empire faction.

Sorc 352 20.73%

Merc 268 15.78%

Jug 235 13.84%

Sin 212 12.49%

Mara 209 12.31%

Op 165 9.72%

PT 144 8.48%

Snip 113 6.65%

Total 1698 100.00%

The server was classified as "Heavy" at the time(8pm EST).

It is definitely not as bad as some people think(50% of servers are sorcs, etc.). Snipers obviously need some help.

Snipers obviously need some help.

I have a lvl 18 Gunslinger, who is parked on her ship for now because I want my first 50 to be a Jedi, and no other reason really.

I love the GS, and think it's safe to say I'd feel the same way about the Sniper if I was playing one.

But the issue is IMO, that the GS/Snip are so different then what most people are used to in a MMO, that people don't want to try it out.

Here are some stats going off of board activity (posts and threads per class board)

61230 posts in knight+warrior, including 15103 in guard+jugg and 18822 in sent+mara subforums.

46326 posts in cons+inq, including 10785 in sage+sorc and 15995 in shad+assn subforums.

43500 posts in troop+bh, including 8485 in comm+merc and 9872 in vang+pt subforums.

40755 posts in smug+agent, including 10164 in sct+op and 7507 in guns+snip

So, post frequency order by mirrored pair is:

sent/mara

shad/assn

guard/jugg

sage/sorc

scout/op

vang/pt

comm/merc

guns/snip

Within those pairings, we have 85435 posts on the Republic side vs 106376 on empire, a 25% disparity. No republic forum has more posts than its empire counterpart; the gap ranges from 1.6% more posts in Merc than Commando to 51% more posts in Operative than Scoundrel.

Obviously this isn't a direct analogue for class population but it probably coordinates pretty well.

Sorc 352 20.73%

Merc 268 15.78%

Jug 235 13.84%

Sin 212 12.49%

Mara 209 12.31%

Op 165 9.72%

PT 144 8.48%

Snip 113 6.65%

Total 1698 100.00%

That's actually incredibly close to what I've been seeing on my server as well. For sure, sorc and merc are by far the most popular class with power tech and sniper being the least. The ones in the middle tend to vary though.

Obviously this isn't a direct analogue for class population but it probably coordinates pretty well.

I highly doubt it. Posts on forums usually have more to do with people whining about the class sucking than anything else. I gurantee there are WAY more Mercenaries than Powertechs on servers. Mercenaries are literally all you see.

The difference being that there are more face rolling 12 year olds that play Mercenaries and DPS classes in general. It is also general knowledge that probably less than 15-20% of a games population even visits forums for the game.

These numbers have absolutely nothing to do with population.

Just an update. Polled today at 6:45 PM. I did both factions this time.

Empire

Sorc 269 22.05%

Merc 174 14.26%

Jugg 173 14.18%

Assa 164 13.44%

Oper 122 10.00%

Mara 121 9.92%

Powr 109 8.93%

Snip 88 7.21%

Total 1220

Republic

Sage 82 17.98%

Sent 80 17.54%

Com 64 14.04%

Shad 61 13.38%

Guar 60 13.16%

Vang 49 10.75%

Scou 33 7.24%

Guns 27 5.92%

Total 456

Just an update. Polled today at 6:45 PM. I did both factions this time.

Empire

Sorc 269 22.05%

Merc 174 14.26%

Jugg 173 14.18%

Assa 164 13.44%

Oper 122 10.00%

Mara 121 9.92%

Powr 109 8.93%

Snip 88 7.21%

Total 1220

Republic

Sage 82 17.98%

Sent 80 17.54%

Com 64 14.04%

Shad 61 13.38%

Guar 60 13.16%

Vang 49 10.75%

Scou 33 7.24%

Guns 27 5.92%

Total 456

Geeze, that's one serious population imbalance.

I have not played empire, so I can't really give a good opinion. But I have heard and read a lot of people complain the the republic story, Jedi in particular, tend to be a bit boring/slow and not as engaging when compared to empire.

I'm actually playing the least popular spec of the least popular AC. gunslinger sabatour, and I'm loving it...

how'd you find out these stats of your server?

as i said other thread i think it will even out over time, we all sort've dive into our faves at first and usually star wars was about Jedi and now Sith and thus it gets the focus.

but once them storylines are done, people will want to try something alot more varied, I doubt people will want to do Sith then Jedi as it'll be similar type of gameplay so then you should see more maybe as Agents or Smugglers to try something with a very different style.

Maybe try gunslinger myself, sounds interesting.

I don't think it's too hard to explain why the Sorc and Merc are the most popular classes. They both are ranged dps with great crowd control and can heal. How in the world would these classes not be the most popular in the game? The Sorcerer wins over the Merc because it is a sith with a light saber, go figure that would be popular in a star wars game. All classes are viable and potentially fun, but the Sorc and Merc are pretty much designed as the super classes. Add in companions to tank and it just gets sort of ridiculous.

Sure there are people that prefer melee or tanking, but in a game where ranged DPS is just easier . . .

Now if this was a prison MMO I'm sure the operative would dominate as most prison game fans love to shiv and attack from behind.

Edited by iloveplywood

• 1 year later...
I have not played empire, so I can't really give a good opinion. But I have heard and read a lot of people complain the the republic story, Jedi in particular, tend to be a bit boring/slow and not as engaging when compared to empire.

I'm actually playing the least popular spec of the least popular AC. gunslinger sabatour, and I'm loving it...

\

Smuggler was the only Republic side class story I enjoyed so I think you made a solid choice. I agree that the Republic side quests are generally too tame or something a lot of the morality choices are things that involve you saving one person or saving hundreds of people. In the end it just feels like: How much of a nice guy do you want to be? Empire side it feels like you can explore more of the spectrum of good vs bad. Of course that's just my take on it I might be bias.

I can only speak for me - and I had begun SWTOR with a Sage, because I wanted to see how "Jedi Culture" looks like 3000 years before ANH.

I was utterly disappointed. Hack & slash, no insights into Jedi Philosophy and into Jedi Spirituality at all - SWTOR has become basically a "combat simulation", apart from the class stories.

I fear that newcomers might still make thiat mistake.

Interesting stuff.

For those who have never taken stats, this sample size is large enough to extrapolate to the entire population of SWTOR so I would imagine most severs are very similar to this with some minor differences.

What I find most intriguing is that Snipers/Gunslingers tend to be the least represented of all classes - I would have guessed it would be Scoundrels/Operatives - seeing as DPS is usually higher played than healers.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting stuff.

For those who have never taken stats, this sample size is large enough to extrapolate to the entire population of SWTOR so I would imagine most severs are very similar to this with some minor differences.

What I find most intriguing is that Snipers/Gunslingers tend to be the least represented of all classes - I would have guessed it would be Scoundrels/Operatives - seeing as DPS is usually higher played than healers.

I'd be slow to extrapolate from those figures - they're from Jan 2012 (a month after the game came out) on a server that no longer exists.

Though on a closely related note, I was looking at the number of Rep 55s on Red Eclipse last night at various times. Commando, Sent, Guardian and Sage all capped out at 100 (the max return) each time, so can't really tell how many from that, but Scoundrels, Gunslingers and Vanguards were around 60+ and Shadows at high 80s.

Did the same on Shadowlands Rep side and the numbers were lower (sub 100 in all classes, similar balance), though due to timezones that would have been five-to-six hours behind in their cycle, so before their real prime time.

For a proper comparison, you'd need to find the numbers in primetime, each day, for a number of weeks, both sides. Also, would be interesting to compare immediately before patch 2.4 (probably a fallow period with PvPers pretty inactive) to afterwards with arenas.

I'd post the numbers from last night, but would want to get some more first, and they're at home in any case.

Edited by Wainamoinen