Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Is it just me or do these three sentences not make sense together? I mean, first it says "it starts on June 12". Then it says "We have no scheduled time frame". And then again it says "release is now June 12th". oO

I'd have to go back and check it, but I think the quote:

"While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service... "

had to do with transfers OTHER than the initial free transfers (such as transferring to a specific server not targeted or transferring from PvE to PvP, etc.)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting next week on June 12th, 2012, we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers...

This is when the process is starting. Starting on this day and probably the weeks following it's going to be very messy and confusing.

While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service...

I think they were referring to a more refined transfer service than the one that is being implemented on the 12th

We're in the final stretch of testing the service, and our release is now June 12th, 2012.

This means they are giving in to our demands again before they are actually ready

oh i see.. that is true.

I played Allods Online before this. When you died you went to Purgatory. The higher your level the longer the wait to resurrect. You could instantly rez with Myrrh but Myrrh costs in-game gold and isn't altogether cheap. This also made classes with resurrection all the more demanding. Oh, and then there's the risk your gear being cursed; all the stats turned negative [+50 strength to -50 strength] which required a VERY expensive cleansing scroll. Cursing is prevent with holy charms which expire upon death and also have to be replenished with in-game money.

So yes count your lucky star (wars) that there are no lasting effects upon death.

I honestly wouldn't mind some kind of "death penalty". It makes the combat a little more meaningful. When I played City of Heroes, dying would cause you to earn a specific amount of XP at a reduced rate. Once the "XP Debt" was paid off, you started earning at the regular rate. Depending on your level, the XP debt would only go to a set limit.

Starting next week on June 12th, 2012, we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers...

This is when the process is starting. Starting on this day and probably the weeks following it's going to be very messy and confusing.

While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service...

I think they were referring to a more refined transfer service than the one that is being implemented on the 12th

We're in the final stretch of testing the service, and our release is now June 12th, 2012.

This means they are giving in to our demands again before they are actually ready

Hardly messy and confusing. They open up one destination server, and select X# of origin servers. Those servers' populace move the one destination server. No real confusion there. This implementation is pretty refined, but then again, I'm not sure what you may feel is refined, in comparison to what I believe. Difference in perspective, I suppose. As for them stating a date, I'm not sure how this is giving in to our "demands". In a way, yes, because we've been pining for transfers for a while now, but everyone, player and developer alike, know that this is needed in order for player bases to survive, and they have now found a method that will work, and have (hopefully) ironed out the kinks that can be associated with such a transfer process.

I'd have to go back and check it, but I think the quote:

"While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service... "

had to do with transfers OTHER than the initial free transfers (such as transferring to a specific server not targeted or transferring from PvE to PvP, etc.)

ah, okay, now I got it. Thank you. =)

But still having the following question:

But now I'm wondering:

So let's say I'm transfering with a character named "Jaksen" (just an example) to a server which already have a "Jaksen".

That means I have to rename my character.

But what if my char is already Level 50 and the other one, that already exists on the server, is just Level 1?

So who will be prioritized now?

But now I'm wondering:

So let's say I'm transfering with a character named "Jaksen" (just an example) to a server which already have a "Jaksen".

But what if my char is already Level 50 and the other one, that already exists on the server, is just Level 1?

http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-transfer-server-populations-and-you

"If your transferred character’s name conflicts with an existing name on a destination server, you will be asked to rename your character. "

That means that whoever got to the server with that name first has the priority.

Paige

http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-transfer-server-populations-and-you

"If your transferred character’s name conflicts with an existing name on a destination server, you will be asked to rename your character. "

That means that whoever got to the server with that name first has the priority.

Paige

Beat me to it!

But yeah, this. Although I'm not sure if it'll be the same for those with trial accounts or not. Probably, but it seems reasonable.

Unfortunately, they will give priority to the person who was there first. It sucks, but there's no real way to work around it. I would suggest alternate spellings like Jaksynn, Jaksenn, etc.

Unless I missed it I have not seen this answered yet.

I currently have characters on Master Zhar Lestin, Perlemian Trade Route, & Zakkeg Beast. On Zakkeg Beast I currently have 8 characters. What happens if Zakkeg ends up being a destination server for either Zhar or Perlemian. Are they going to increase the character slots beyond the 8 available or will I be stuck on a dead server till paid transfers come out.

Unfortunately, they will give priority to the person who was there first. It sucks, but there's no real way to work around it. I would suggest alternate spellings like Jaksynn, Jaksenn, etc.

Okay, that with the priority is understandable now that I really think about it carefully, but still ... yes, it sucks.

Well, yep, there are still workaounds like alternate spellings, accents, and so on.

Or I just hope that the names of my characters are that stupid, so that no one else came up with such names...

Okay, that with the priority is understandable now that I really think about it carefully, but still ... yes, it sucks.

Well, yep, there are still workaounds like alternate spellings, accents, and so on.

Or I just hope that the names of my characters are that stupid, so that no one else came up with such names...

That's pretty much the way i try to do it..LOL

+5 awesome points:o

Unless I missed it I have not seen this answered yet.

I currently have characters on Master Zhar Lestin, Perlemian Trade Route, & Zakkeg Beast. On Zakkeg Beast I currently have 8 characters. What happens if Zakkeg ends up being a destination server for either Zhar or Perlemian. Are they going to increase the character slots beyond the 8 available or will I be stuck on a dead server till paid transfers come out.

If Zakkeg ends up being a destination server, it won't be dead for long.

As for your other characters, they stated in this Q&A that they are 100% committed to providing more character slots per server, and when that happens, move them over. No, expanding character slots past 8 won't be part of server transfers.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Whenever I just started playing this game in December I started playing on a PvE server. I tried out a PvP server to see what it would be like and i liked it much more than PvE. My question is am I going to be able to move my favorite character (who is now on a PvE server) to a PvP server?:(

Whenever I just started playing this game in December I started playing on a PvE server. I tried out a PvP server to see what it would be like and i liked it much more than PvE. My question is am I going to be able to move my favorite character (who is now on a PvE server) to a PvP server?:(

Yes

................ later :)

If Zakkeg ends up being a destination server, it won't be dead for long.

As for your other characters, they stated in this Q&A that they are 100% committed to providing more character slots per server, and when that happens, move them over. No, expanding character slots past 8 won't be part of server transfers.

Thanks for the response. So I possibly could have some stuck on a dead server for the time being, if Zakkeg ends up being a destination for the other two. I hope neither of Perlenian or Zhar wind up going to Zakkeg though, would be better that way.

server transfers are incoming.

nobody wants them

/facepalm

the mmo community does this without fail. EVERY TIME. they complain unsub and moan about the problems then when the problems are solved. they complain about how the problem is solved.

We knew this would happen. They've found a number of reasons, "Oh I can't bring all my characters together after I intentionally spaced them out on various servers!" and "I can't change server types after I specifically chose a type of server and then played like hell on it for months!" and "Why couldn't they just take the easy thoughtless way out and let anyone transfer anywhere so we can screw the server populations up even more with a game of duck-duck-goose!"

And here we are.

"If you don't offer server transfers, I'm out of here!"

"You offered wrong server transfers, I'm out of here!"

All before the thing even starts. LOL...

Edited by Kubernetic

With all due respect, Bioware, I'm very sorry to see you go this route. To be honest, this strikes me as nothing short of server mergers, except you seem to be making the players do all the work. A real merger would have been so much simpler for all – you and us, the paying players.

I think our guild will lose a lot of players who just decide they would rather quit, than bother to go through all the hassle to move to a new server, even one that has more people on it. Sort of a "last nail in the coffin" reaction.

The work involved for each of us to move our characters and rename characters is going to be very daunting for some. The amount of work involved to reform our guild, get members invited and recreate our guild banks is going to take hours of work by all of our officers.

I am so disappointed in this decision and while I'm desperately wanting a server with real players on it, this option isn't it.

Please reconsider this. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Aerythe

However, they did have the ability to raise the population caps on the servers. They were set arbitrarily low. So instead of raising the caps, they decided to create more servers. Probably the better move to look like a bigger game, but it lead us to this problem.
That is the crux of the situation. That is what makes this BioWare's mistake. This is why many of you will be paying for their mistake. I do realize that a couple hundred bucks is just a drop in the bucket to (what appears to be) a vocal minority of people eager (practically begging) to throw more cash at BioWare. I also realize I should not have to fork out another couple hundred bucks at BioWare's problem so I, the already paying customer, can continue to enjoy the game. Incidentally, forcing me to pay to consolidate my characters (which I will not do) causes them to loose the couple of years of subscription I would have paid. I am certain the loss of my subscribtion will mean nothing in the light of the tens of thousands of bucks some of you are so eager to just hand over for paid transfers... so there is that.

You might also notice that I've barely graced the forum since launch until two weeks ago. I didn't complain once during pre-launch about server queues. Given the option of sitting around and waiting for several hours to get in or just going to one of the 10 other light servers seemed like no decision at all. So no, I wasn't told to go to a light server, but I also didn't whine and cry about queue times. I just didn't play for the first two days and then when I started getting texts from Twitter about new servers opening, of course I came in and started creating characters to play.

For those who were asking and didn't get the actual answer, this is what happened. BioWare opened with a small number of servers. When they opened up the new servers (and I will remind everyone they continued to open new servers for days after they still had new servers showing Light), the people who didn't want to wait for queues went to those new servers. Once Bioware decided to finally do the logical thing (raise the caps on the primary servers) people didn't have queues. So many of them left the new, unnecessary servers to go back to their big servers. Meanwhile, the people like me who really didn't know everything that was going on at the time (because I was busy playing or doing real life holiday stuff and not crying on the forums) didn't realize what was going on until we were well into our characters. We (the 'we' being people I've spoken with over 3 servers over the last 6 months) hung on to hope the servers would continue to refill with new subscriptions but once BioWare raised the limits on the primary servers they never bothered to lower it again to re-encourage people to come to the dying servers.

So, I guess you can argue one way or the other who's responsibility it was, but at the end of the day, BioWare will evaluate the numbers they have and make decisions accordingly. If I don't like their decision, I'll cancel and not return. Too bad. As usual, one guy with one subscription means nothing. I get that. There are ways to accommodate most players in this situation. It might hurt their bottom line today but increase it in the long run. Of course, the game industry is far from customer service oriented and is mostly out for the quickest return possible. That means pay for meaningful transfers because they know many of you will. Certainly enough of you so the loss of revenue from the subscriptions doesn't look so bad.

Ultimately, we will wait and see and all take the actions we feel necessary to get us through the night. Nothing any of you can say will change the facts of how things played out then or how they are playing out now. All you can do is flame this and other reasonable posts with flames to bury the reason beneath the rubble. However, I will continue to try and encourage BioWare to do the right thing by us as long as I'm still willing to pay a monthly subscription. That is all I really can do, aside from cancel, which I am not prepared to do right now. Unfortunately, that means I must post on the forum. Anyone who has submitted feedback to BioWare has been told to take it to the forum. That is the only reason I've posted on the forum since trying to pick a server at launch.

Oh, guess what... stop throwing around the minority nonsense. It's just an attempt to minimize what others are trying to say. You have no way of knowing how many people actually agree or disagree with much of anything on these forums. I know I did it above being a bit snarky, but the fact is, we are all the vocal minority for something. 2% - 5% of a gaming population isn't a majority of anything.

To BioWare: Fine. Fix your population problems. Then allow us to consolidate our characters on the server of our choice for free. Then, after you've solved your problem and helped us solve our problems (created by your problem), feel free to charge people for frivolous server transfers. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Not as part of the coming transfers, but probably later. Likely for a fee. If at all.

To BioWare: Fine. Fix your population problems. Then allow us to consolidate our characters on the server of our choice for free. Then, after you've solved your problem and helped us solve our problems (created by your problem), feel free to charge people for frivolous server transfers. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Well said!

Edited by Jaavik

Do you happen to have a link that shows that BioWare suggested abandoning your character and rolling on a different server? I remember all kinds of players suggesting it, but I don't remember BioWare suggesting it...

See my post in this thread back to population issues related to queue lengths. Stephen Reid stated if we where unhappy with queues to play on other servers. Same concept for low population applies. Next.