Why are weapon beam colors the wrong way round?

Shebee

I always wondered, as a kid, why the Republic space vessels shoot red beams, instead of green, like the Imperial beams.

Shouldn't the Republic use green beams, and the "bad" Empire red, not the other way round?

You have probably noticed this in space missions, where Imperials will shoot green beams, and Republic ships will shoot red, just like in the movies.

I know there are Jedi that use red light sabers, and some Sith who use other colors than green, but still, isn't the common idea that Empire = red, Republic = blue, green etc?

Tell me if I'm wrong

I always wondered, as a kid, why the Republic space vessels shoot red beams, instead of green, like the Imperial beams.

Shouldn't the Republic use green beams, and the "bad" Empire red, not the other way round?

You have probably noticed this in space missions, where Imperials will shoot green beams, and Republic ships will shoot red, just like in the movies.

I know there are Jedi that use red light sabers, and some Sith who use other colors than green, but still, isn't the common idea that Empire = red, Republic = blue, green etc?

Tell me if I'm wrong

Republic is just as bad as the Empire. The Imps are just a little more vocal.