dirty little secret---slicing

Soulchilde

sigh, wait till people hit 50. Wait till things like purple crafting mats start selling for way more then anything slicing will get you.

Slicing is only profitable now because those that speed leveled to 50 have nobody to sell things to. Nobody to sell crafted gear, nobody to sell crafted medpack, stims or adrenals and nobody buying mats.

Even at low levels nobody buys stuff because of the massive massive stigma against the GTN. I haven't used it myself and frankly I've avoided it purely on hearsay of how bad it is.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still play EVE with a huge Corp and I know economy. Btw, no game can compare with EVE economy, so bringing this up here doesn't change the fact the excess money drives up prices

This game was never made with an economy in mind, if prices get inflated then so be it, everyone can just take up slicing if being poor bothers them that much

Even at low levels nobody buys stuff because of the massive massive stigma against the GTN. I haven't used it myself and frankly I've avoided it purely on hearsay of how bad it is.

I use it, people are using it because I've been selling LOTS of crafted gear for levels 20 and below. I can only make stuff for levels 20 and below, but everything sells out within a few hours.

Edited by Mandrax

Actually.. They need to un-nerf it.. Stuff is very expensive now.. 20k for your second row of pack storage, 40k for another tab in your cargo hold, 40k to train for speeders. (That doesn't include cost of speeder.), ever increasing cost of training, ever increasing cost of sending your companions out to level your crew skills, Increasing cost of misc. mods and gear..

There are a lot of credit sinks in this game.. I am lvl 21 and I am nowhere near the 40k for my speeder or upgrading my cargo hold.. I have bought 1 row of pack space for 5k.. Next row is 20.. No clue what the row after that is..

So no.. They need to un-nerf it.. Either that or I need to learn to use the GTN.. :(

Things are only so expensive because this ability has existed, previously in even more powerful forms. They need to reduce costs, slicing in no way should be a requirement.

Slicing is not the "Free money" everyone seems to think it is. At low levels it seems amazing, but that ends soon enough.

At Slicing 400 your missions all take between 30 minutes and 1 hour. Cost per mission is between 1.4k and 2k. Average return on a mission is 1.5k, with crit returns being 4-5k. World gathering nodes on Balmora average 300-500 credits.

To put this in perspective, My one skill rank up at 38 cost 23k. I regularly vendor green drops for around 500-1k depending on the type of item. Also each mob drops around 100-150 credits(and usually comes in 3-5 packs). Level 40 Speeder training is 210k, going from 38-40 I intentionaly skipped all slicing nodes and did no slicing missions. I made 375k from quests and vendoring crap.

I make more money per hour just doing quests and killing everything as I move from point A to B than Slicing makes from lock boxes/lock box missions. The real money maker for slicing is the selling Augments/schematics/mission items.

The real money maker is selling augs/shcematics/mission items. I don't even bother with my level slicing missions. I just run the 20-30(since that is the level range most of my server seems to be at) and sell everything for 1-5k.

I really don't think slicing is OP, I think it's more the concept of crew management that has everyone going "OH NO People are getting money for nothing". I actually believe slicing is helping the economy rather than hurting it for a few reasons:

- Most people that are slicing are reinvesting that money to jump start their other crafting skills.

- As someone that slices, I don't view it as free money, I've spent a lot of time earning it (Not as crazy lucrative as a lot of people are claiming) and I'm not going to go wasting it on some overpriced auction house crap I will outlevel anyway.

- Slicing has diminishing returns as you get higher and higher in levels, by that I mean it's more time/cost effective to slice while leveling than at max level.

I think people that fear it don't understand it. There are more new dynamics to the MMO economy introduced by SWTOR than just slicing. Crew skills is a big game changer. Why don't you wait and see before pitchforking for changes based on less than speculatory evidence.

Edited by itmustbejj

Sersonly I like it as I can send my second person on the mission while doing something else and for the most part not worry about spending cash I am saving like for my mount. When I have 3 npc I plan to have one with me, One doing slicing and one doing my other crew skills. This way the slicer helps cover the cost of the other crew missions.

I just drained myself completely to get my lvl 40 mount skill & speeder bike, all my new skills, and outfitting for my ship... I keep 2 of my 5 people doing slicing non-stop to help cover the costs (yes, I'm at 400 in slicing), while a third does my other craft. Slicing does return decent money, but it's not as good as you might think - slicing missions often fail outright, and when they don't, they sometimes return less money than they cost. But they do, on average, provide better returns... so it's like I'm investing in the stock market :)

Why does everyone think he needs to have sufficient money at hands to buy all the cool stuff right away when it's available. Back in the days buying a mount has been quite some achievement.

Becuase the difference between a GAMER and a Game PLAYER is that the Gamer plays the game for the enjoyment of it, and will explore everything and go everywhere, and NEVER look at or for a guide/cheat. They WANT to and WILL work for what they get.

The Game PLAYER plays a game and wants everything NOW, and is not interested in exploring possabilities, and doesn't want to work for what he gets, and will use any opportunity to get hold of a guide or a cheat the get there faster than everyone else.

Flame me if you will but the fact remains there are two type of game player, an over simplified explanation of both I have listed above.

Here just some numbers:

I have 166.837 Creds start

1.) slicing round (3compannions) Mission Cost: 3975, Mission gain: 4675

Creds are at 167,537, i made 700 Creds in 30 mins (oh yeah that's very broken ^^)

2.) slicing round (3compannions) Mission Cost: 3625, Mission gain: 6215

After two slicing runs ive got 169.827 Credits, all in all i got 3290 Credits in 1 Hour

I mean seriously why should that be broken in any way what so ever.

You can make far far far more money with any other crafting or gathering skill and the AH.

In my Point of view it's the worst of the gathering skills at the moment and would need between 10 and 30% more Credit gain at least, even with the occasional critical missions.

Actually.. They need to un-nerf it.. Stuff is very expensive now.. 20k for your second row of pack storage, 40k for another tab in your cargo hold, 40k to train for speeders. (That doesn't include cost of speeder.), ever increasing cost of training, ever increasing cost of sending your companions out to level your crew skills, Increasing cost of misc. mods and gear..

There are a lot of credit sinks in this game.. I am lvl 21 and I am nowhere near the 40k for my speeder or upgrading my cargo hold.. I have bought 1 row of pack space for 5k.. Next row is 20.. No clue what the row after that is..

So no.. They need to un-nerf it.. Either that or I need to learn to use the GTN.. :(

Thats the point, it creates inflation.

Here just some numbers:

I have 166.837 Creds start

1.) slicing round (3compannions) Mission Cost: 3975, Mission gain: 4675

Creds are at 167,537, i made 700 Creds in 30 mins (oh yeah that's very broken ^^)

2.) slicing round (3compannions) Mission Cost: 3625, Mission gain: 6215

After two slicing runs ive got 169.827 Credits, all in all i got 3290 Credits in 1 Hour

I mean seriously why should that be broken in any way what so ever.

You can make far far far more money with any other crafting or gathering skill and the AH.

In my Point of view it's the worst of the gathering skills at the moment and would need between 10 and 30% more Credit gain at least, even with the occasional critical missions.

WHy even bring this up? Nobody here thinks Slicing misions are "OP" -- it is, and always has been, the ability to open lock boxes in the world with zero opportunity cost (since you are already questing in the area).

Now, I wouldn't have a problem with Slicing if the only way to get gear above green qulity was from the GTN via crafted goods, but it's not. There are too many alternatives and too many easy ways to get gear without having to spend any credits (Flashpoints, Commendations, random drops), so the people who are providing goods aren't having them purchased at a reasonable rate.

At the moment slicing is necessary if you want money because mobs aren't dropping enough credits. Items not sold by players are expensive in this game and if you tried to buy things solely off what drops you'd never be able to afford anything without serious grinding.

If you want to waste your life grinding for your "sense of accomplishment" this game is not for you fyi.

WHy even bring this up? Nobody here thinks Slicing misions are "OP" -- it is, and always has been, the ability to open lock boxes in the world with zero opportunity cost (since you are already questing in the area).

Now, I wouldn't have a problem with Slicing if the only way to get gear above green qulity was from the GTN via crafted goods, but it's not. There are too many alternatives and too many easy ways to get gear without having to spend any credits (Flashpoints, Commendations, random drops), so the people who are providing goods aren't having them purchased at a reasonable rate.

I think swtor wasn't made to be an economic simulation in an scify setting, if you like that you should really try playing EVE (which is great by the way, played it for a long time).

This game should be more about the story/lore of Star Wars and less about money gain or grinding. Everyone has money, everyone can buy enough or craft and i think that's actually good and alright.

At the moment slicing is necessary if you want money because mobs aren't dropping enough credits. Items not sold by players are expensive in this game and if you tried to buy things solely off what drops you'd never be able to afford anything without serious grinding.

If you want to waste your life grinding for your "sense of accomplishment" this game is not for you fyi.

So anyone who doesn't take slicing should just leave? That's the most nonsensical bit of trolling I've seen in quite some time.

Lol this post is crazy. I have slicing I don't even use it and have over 200k at level 29 with out using slicing. So complaing about credits is funny. I takes about 20 minutes to get 20k Credits with out using slicing stop QQ'ing and go play the game.

I think swtor wasn't made to be an economic simulation in an scify setting, if you like that you should really try playing EVE (which is great by the way, played it for a long time).

This game should be more about the story/lore of Star Wars and less about money gain or grinding. Everyone has money, everyone can buy enough or craft and i think that's actually good and alright.

I am not asking for an "economic simulation" -- all I expect is to be able to craft, have customers want my crafts, and do so at a profit to me. That has yet to be seen so far, and the way the game is setup with the abundance of avenues to gain gear, it has put that at a huge detriment from the start.

A profession that prints its own money is a bad idea. I sit on my ship and send my companions out on Slicing missions while I'm watching TV.

Slicing will always be impossible to balance. Nerf too hard and you've created a useless profession. Buff too high, and credits become meaningless.

LOL. The game has been out for a day and people are already playing it like its been out for years. GG.

Well..Im not sure about you guys but my med units and stimulants have been selling like Justin Beeber lately. I prolly have to thank the npcs for that though. They sell stims for 1k in Taris and I just sell the blue version for 1k credits each. 2 hours and doesnt fade on death. People love it!

I actually have a bunch of regular buyers that I just COD the stuff to as well @_@

I just do not understand the whining about this. If you grind, you make credits. If you slice and grind, you make credits. If you slice you make credits, but when you look at the X of time, the grinder and the slice and grind come fairly close when one considers the time factor. Instead of calling for nerfs, do the math. That is what Bioware is doing and if the math looks hinky, they will nerf.