So you added same-sex romance options, great. But wait, there isn't also an opposite

Toat

Am I the only one that finds this whole romancing npcs a little creepy? Maybe I'm old fashion, but I go out and find companionship when I want it. I dont count on some software progammer to put a "flirt" option in a game for me. I dont play video games for romance. If you do, maybe its time to reevalute some aspects of life.

I don't think I AM my characters. I'm not flirting with the other character, my character is flirting with another character.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I AM my characters. I'm not flirting with the other character, my character is flirting with another character.

I am not a role-player and never have been. Guess that is where my disconnect is. I play this game for the Star Wars aspect of it(lightsabers, blasters etc...). If I wanted romance, I would watch Twilight with my wife.

I am not a role-player and never have been. Guess that is where my disconnect is. I play this game for the Star Wars aspect of it(lightsabers, blasters etc...). If I wanted romance, I would watch Twilight with my wife.

If I wanted romance, I would start by staying out of Twilight...ynh.

Anyway, I've always been a roleplayer, and I also love writing. I treat my swtor characters like I would treat a character I'm writing about: they have their personality with flaws that come with it, they don't get along with all characters and they really like some characters. And to me, it's important part of the character to have relationships with other characters, romances and/or friendships. It can make me smile when my character and another character are happy while being together, just like it could make me smile when I read a book or watch a movie where 2 characters are happy together. I'm not using this game a "me in sw universe!"-simulator, I'm making a fictional character into a fictional world to meet other fictional characters and live an exciting, fictional life. If I just wanted lightsabers and blasters, I would have stayed with Battlefront 2.

If I wanted romance, I would start by staying out of Twilight...ynh.

Anyway, I've always been a roleplayer, and I also love writing. I treat my swtor characters like I would treat a character I'm writing about: they have their personality with flaws that come with it, they don't get along with all characters and they really like some characters. And to me, it's important part of the character to have relationships with other characters, romances and/or friendships. It can make me smile when my character and another character are happy while being together, just like it could make me smile when I read a book or watch a movie where 2 characters are happy together. I'm not using this game a "me in sw universe!"-simulator, I'm making a fictional character into a fictional world to meet other fictional characters and live an exciting, fictional life. If I just wanted lightsabers and blasters, I would have stayed with Battlefront 2.

There are limitations when you play a game like this (or any really). I tend to view things from a rp sort of perspective when I play my toons, however I don't go bat**** crazy when a response isn't what is envision my character to say in that situation. You want total control and freedom over your character? Go write some stories about them yourself (aka fanfiction), but you can't possibly expect BW to cater to every player's whim and desire when playing through the game. The story in the expac is interesting, the landscape is also beautiful, but writing the whole thing off because you can't [flirt] with every npc you want to is shallow and childish.

Edit to mention my use of "you" is general, not "targeting" anyone specific here.

Edited by xxforcardassia

Urgh, the privilege and sense of entitlement here is breathtaking to an almost offensive level.

You are right, things are not equal or fair, they are dramatically tipped in favour of heterosexuals and now you are whining about not getting even more. That is nothing short of contemptible.

Of course, there was whining about not having SGR, and feeling a sense of entitlement to it. So really, it seems both sides feel they have the right to everything and anything.

Personally, I like it that they didn't go the 'everyone is bi or maybe you're just that awesome' route that they took in DA2. It removed sexuality as being part of the character's identities and made it an addon. Some should be straight, some bi and some gay, partly because that's just better character development and partly because player characters feel more real if they can't have everything that moves.

There are limitations when you play a game like this (or any really). I tend to view things from a rp sort of perspective when I play my toons, however I don't go bat**** crazy when a response isn't what is envision my character to say in that situation. You want total control and freedom over your character? Go write some stories about them yourself (aka fanfiction), but you can't possibly expect BW to cater to every player's whim and desire when playing through the game. The story in the expac is interesting, the landscape is also beautiful, but writing the whole thing off because you can't [flirt] with every npc you want to is shallow and childish.

Edit to mention my use of "you" is general, not "targeting" anyone specific here.

What? I never said I want to flirt with every npc I meet. I only answered to a person who found the whole idea of [flirt]-options kind of creepy. I'm fine with the game as it is and I think it gives me enough rp possibilities (well, I'd like to be able to be more sith-like with my ds jedis, but away from that it's great).

No need to attack me like that. O.O

Am I the only one that finds this whole romancing npcs a little creepy? Maybe I'm old fashion, but I go out and find companionship when I want it. I dont count on some software progammer to put a "flirt" option in a game for me. I dont play video games for romance. If you do, maybe its time to reevalute some aspects of life.

I did at first too, though for different reasons in that I find sentimentalism and romance to be unsettling and deeply unappealing concepts. But then I realized my character isn't me and that I was playing my character's story, so while I might not be interested in a character, my character might be. So if I could see the game sort of as watching a movie about someone else, I could tolerate all the normally disturbing flirting and etc. so long as it fit understandably in the story or I could make sense of it in relation to the characterizations.

As for the OP, I don't understand their complaint, and further reading has not provided much further elucidation. I have no problem with either SGR or OGR as both are pretty foreign to my worldview. At that point it hardly matters what the gender makeup of a particular partnering might be, as all of the options are ultimately mystifying and generally harmless things other people do that effect me not in the slightest. Both options were included in this downloadable content, that seems the beginning and end of discussion here.

Edited by Bytemite

"..romancing npcs a little creepy"? Seriously? I mean, the fact that your character, say, kills everyone on a ship as part of a job or torture others for their pleasure does not perturb you, but romancing npcs does? Well, then newsflash for ya, buddy - those romances aren't real! It's all pretend, part of a game, just as random violent murders your character commits is part of a game? Not real, okay?

And speaking of real - you comparing videogame romances (game stuff) to "go out and find companionship" (reality stuff), on the other hand is a little creepy.

I have a theory that your character never actually kills anyone unless they take the prompt to do so in a cutscene. I mean they all respawn within 30 seconds to a minute after defeat, basically just like you do. Frankly I'm a little envious that their medical care provider seems to be better than the player characters, much faster processing on multiple claims. And have you seen those guys, their premiums have to be lower too.

Also, being lightsider on every character mitigates the whole murder/romance paradox somewhat.

Edited by Bytemite

What? I never said I want to flirt with every npc I meet. I only answered to a person who found the whole idea of [flirt]-options kind of creepy. I'm fine with the game as it is and I think it gives me enough rp possibilities (well, I'd like to be able to be more sith-like with my ds jedis, but away from that it's great).

No need to attack me like that. O.O

Not attacking. I used your post as a launching point for my response to the thread and I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking. I also wasn't implying the [flirt] option to every npc, but rather I said to flirt with whatever npc the player wanted.

"..romancing npcs a little creepy"? Seriously? I mean, the fact that your character, say, kills everyone on a ship as part of a job or torture others for their pleasure does not perturb you, but romancing npcs does? Well, then newsflash for ya, buddy - those romances aren't real! It's all pretend, part of a game, just as random violent murders your character commits is part of a game? Not real, okay?

And speaking of real - you comparing videogame romances (game stuff) to "go out and find companionship" (reality stuff), on the other hand is a little creepy.

You realize you can avoid random acts of murder, right?

You realize you can avoid random acts of murder, right?

Nah, because whenever I get the dialogue wheel about murdering someone gruesomely or not, my mouse gets stuck on the murder option and refuses to move. Seriously, you can avoid random acts of flirting too, and that isn't the point.

Female hetero flirts/romances are pretty much non-existent. There's one flirt option for a female imp...I haven't seen any on the republic side.

If you play as female smuggler, you can hit on that Zabrak guy from Protectors, but he'll tell you that he's married. On female trooper I had no option to flirt with him. So I assume, it is class locked.

Back on main topic, you can flirt with microbinocular and seeker droid quest givers as male(empire side). Not sure about republic side as I have not started Makeb on my male republic toons yet, but my male bounty hunter could flirt both with Bo and with that sith chick.

I haven't finished the quest yet, so have no idea if any of the flirts goes anywhere, but still, the flirt is right there, so stop complaining, there's new opposite sex flirt too. If you missed it, OP, it was your own fault, not Bioware's.

Back on main topic, you can flirt with microbinocular and seeker droid quest givers as male(empire side). Not sure about republic side as I have not started Makeb on my male republic toons yet, but my male bounty hunter could flirt both with Bo and with that sith chick.

As a femes SI I was able to flirt with these same npcs (also not sure if anything comes of them, they also were on the... lame side, but c'est la vie). Other than those two, I had no other [flirt] options pop up through the Makeb storyline.

As a femes SI I was able to flirt with these same npcs (also not sure if anything comes of them, they also were on the... lame side, but c'est la vie). Other than those two, I had no other [flirt] options pop up through the Makeb storyline.

Yes, it seems that many (if not all, I've not finished it on my Sorc yet) of the Imperial Makeb story [Flirt]s are made for male characters.

Scrap romance! There all fixed. Now totally fair for all and maybe a little more RP Romance will happen instead.

Just saying. BW should be tell every one to zip it and make your own scenarios . I honestly feel bad because they have to deal with all of you geez grow up.

Scrap romance! There all fixed. Now totally fair for all and maybe a little more RP Romance will happen instead.

Just saying. BW should be tell every one to zip it and make your own scenarios . I honestly feel bad because they have to deal with all of you geez grow up.

I just don't get these people. You ever looked at the pvp forums? "This is OP, no that is OP, nerf this, nerf that, nerf nerf nerf, l2p it doesn't need a nerf, why my class got nerfed". I think there's more posts whining about Revan's set and how wrong people think it is than posts whining about the lack (or too much of it) SGR. So why do all those other people have the right to discuss the things they think are wrong in this game, but we don't? O.o

Edited by Seireeni

I just don't get these people. You ever looked at the pvp forums? "This is OP, no that is OP, nerf this, nerf that, nerf nerf nerf, l2p it doesn't need a nerf, why my class got nerfed". I think there's more posts whining about Revan's set and how wrong people think it is than posts whining about the lack (or too much of it) SGR. So why do all those other people have the right to discuss the things they think are wrong in this game, but we don't? O.o

Because, like, gawd, stories aren't real. *flips hair* PvP is totally important, like, it's EVERYTHING, y'know? And, like, Raven's set? Sooooo important. I mean, it's like, in the stories that it's supposed to be, like, this one and now it's, like y'know, not? And that's really bad because then how am I supposed to dress up my Raven?

Gawd, it's like you don't know anything. Do you even MMO?

/off

Ow, that actually hurt. In all honesty, though, a lot of the forumites seem to think that because this is a "hot button topic" they have every right to come in and denounce and insult those who enjoy story content. Also, because the SGRA discussion thread has been remade so many times (I believe the current one may be the sixth or seventh) that the topic itself is "done", even though it's clear Bioware still has no idea what it's doing on the subject. And there is of course the fact that the SGRA threads themselves are safe places for the discussion of gender stereotypes and representation in-game as well as the nature and scripting of romances, existing or projected. It has since become our "controversial catch-call" topic, rather than merely being limited to saying "I would like man-love with Vector, plz", but of course most people don't know that. People think of it as a petition thread, rather than what it actually is: an organic discussion that has to actively be steered back to the main topic when we get too bogged down in, say, the (misogynistic) biological imperative present in pretty much every companion storyline, wherein it's assumed that every female character's dream goal is to become a baby factory.

Well PvPers never went to an outside source to get attention for the changes to their PvP game. Those complaining about Revan's Robe never went to an outside source to get attention for how wrong it is.

Some in favor of SGR, however, did.

So why is it, PvPers and Lore Buffs could keep it TOR related areas, and proponents for SGR couldn't?

People think of it as a petition thread, rather than what it actually is: an organic discussion that has to actively be steered back to the main topic when we get too bogged down in, say, the (misogynistic) biological imperative present in pretty much every companion storyline, wherein it's assumed that every female character's dream goal is to become a baby factory.

I would agree that the SGR experiment in this expansion is only a start, and that the situation probably won't really be fair until people have actual companion options instead of just flirt options. I'm honestly thinking new companions, though, instead of converting the old companions, unless Bioware can make it believable that they were bisexual all along.

Also, urgh, right on the baby factory thing. v_v I haven't finished any of the romances yet, but I've heard that both the male romance options and the female options kind of all get into the babies, and it's like, where in the narrative did the three dimensional character with all these nuances and interests go? I'm actually hoping that if companion stories ever get expanded, the writers will find ways for their particular interests to dovetail into the player character's style and class missions. I'd like to see more focus on the personalities, less focus on some checklist of life milestones.

Edited by Bytemite

Well PvPers never went to an outside source to get attention for the changes to their PvP game. Those complaining about Revan's Robe never went to an outside source to get attention for how wrong it is.

Some in favor of SGR, however, did.

So why is it, PvPers and Lore Buffs could keep it TOR related areas, and proponents for SGR couldn't?

Mmm...english isn't my first language and I have to admit that I have troubles understanding what you are meaning with this post. Anyway, run around the pvp forums a little and you pretty soon find posts where "this works like this in this game and it should work like this in TOR, too"-posts. If that is not what you meant, then I lost you somewhere during that post.

Also, the fact that someone "went to an outside source" doesn't justify telling everyone interested in the future of SGR to shut up. It's like saying that all pvp players are rude because you met one person who started raging at a warzone.

Mmm...english isn't my first language and I have to admit that I have troubles understanding what you are meaning with this post. Anyway, run around the pvp forums a little and you pretty soon find posts where "this works like this in this game and it should work like this in TOR, too"-posts. If that is not what you meant, then I lost you somewhere during that post.

Also, the fact that someone "went to an outside source" doesn't justify telling everyone interested in the future of SGR to shut up. It's like saying that all pvp players are rude because you met one person who started raging at a warzone.

You asked for the difference between people asking for changes in one thing and asking for changes in another.

PvPers don't go about trying to get media and other organizations involved in getting PvP changed.

Other differences. Tell a PvPer to put their money where their mouth is "Don't like it, show BioWare by not paying for their game" you don't get people saying "You're trying to hurt the cause" Say it about SGR and you do.

I'm all for options though! In fact, having read posts, I'm actually for the idea of herosexual now. Though still think people should give up the arguement "I can't play myself in RL!" as that arguement still fails when they say "It's just a game, if you don't like the option, don't take it." or "I'm SGR in real life so it's important to me in the game!" then turn around and say to those not for it "It's a game so it shouldn't bother you if it's in." If it's a game, then it shouldn't bother anyone that it's not in by that same comment. :p

I'm all for options though! In fact, having read posts, I'm actually for the idea of herosexual now.

Yeah, after reading in other threads comments about the disparity in having to pay versus having it available, it's a good point. But tricky to implement. I like the idea of going back in and adding more conversation options on the wheel, if they have prerecorded lines already for some SGR that just didn't make it into the final, that might actually be workable. And there's even other benefits, like there's been times that the ONLY positive response in a conversation is a flirt, when the platonic option that the other gender gives would be more in character.

Might depend on the programming how doable that is though. Don't know if the game is restricted to those three options for any reason, and would blow up if they tried to change the code. Or if they'd have to do anything with the graphics, though changing a graphic interface is probably easier than the recoding issue.

Edited by Bytemite

Yeah, after reading in other threads comments about the disparity in having to pay versus having it available, it's a good point. But tricky to implement. I like the idea of going back in and adding more conversation options on the wheel, if they have prerecorded lines already for some SGR that just didn't make it into the final, that might actually be workable. And there's even other benefits, like there's been times that the ONLY positive response in a conversation is a flirt, when the platonic option that the other gender gives would be more in character.

Might depend on the programming how doable that is though. Don't know if the game is restricted to those three options for any reason, and would blow up if they tried to change the code. Or if they'd have to do anything with the graphics, though changing a graphic interface is probably easily than the recoding issue.

That's another thing they could do! Go back, and match up what the chat wheel says to the actual dialogue. Seriously, a lot of those chat options do not fit between what is written and what is said. :/