Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the discussion of bugs I have two questions:

Why does it seem that the majority of CS responses to bugs and in-game issues boil down to basically telling the players "sorry, but there is nothing we can do"?

And

Why are there still long term bugs that have been reported and commented on for considerable amounts of time (for example, the Alderaan Bonus Series bug which appears to have been around for the life of the game) but which yet still have not been fixed or in some cases even acknowledged?

Thank you for the update! Keep them coming - this type of communication is good to hear, just needs more meat.

Suggested items to Address:

Level DPS % Spread! Many topics of conversation that SORC/SAGE and other classes are 15% difference in output from the FOTM (MDPS). I think decreased GCD and maybe buff DPS Tree's top items with % would close that gap. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548529

Make PVP Fun! It's not fun when you force Recruit/PVE geared to fight Elite WH geared teams.

LIMIT que's by level of Expertise (3 Tiers) 0-900, 901-1200, 1201+.

- You want to smack around recruits? Then pull some gear off to make it a more even fight.

- Nothing fun about a 50 in recruit gear playing (STUN > DIE > STUN DIE Again > STUN > DIE, repeat...)

- Lets PVE folks POP in and still remain somewhat effective and not rage quit ALL PVP or SWTOR

Cartel Coins - Price Tag per coin (Real money)? Plus - The 200/150 per month for previous months of SUB's should be bumped up some. (Since you are giving 500 a month going forward - why not previously)

QA Review Prices! Example: Hazmat's @350 BH Comms (~20 points more over next tiered gear for only 35 BH Comms? ~150 seems to be more realistic) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=536649

Gear Progression / Set Bonus. Gearing is an issue and fixing the Set Bonus is the solution. If the bonus is the same for Dread Master 4pc as a Columi 4pc you have an issue. No reason not to purchase all the (63) Mods/Enhancements and place into Columi. Scale set bonus with actual SET and make them count for something more (THEN you will see more people cranking in HM's for that Set Bonus gear).

Unless new content comes out tonight and I think we would agree that isn't going to happen, how do you feel about missing your first new content every 6 weeks timeline.

I myself was a little disappointed to see that it was missed. Unless of course what you meant to say is once F2P comes out we will be offering new content every 6 weeks, in which case you haven't missed the mark yet but again communicated it very poorly.

I do appreciate the state of the game message, I hope in the future it actually address issues in the game bugs, fixes, class updates, and such.

i do believe that they stated they intended to have a 6ish week timeline for releases once they release f2p, for now they are still on their own schedule

we already know you are going f2p. We already know why you are going f2p. If you need to restate it then atleast be honest about it. People did not quit because of a 15 dollar barrier. People quit because they didnt feel your game was worth 15 bucks. There is a huge difference.

amen brotha!

Dear Jeff and the BW team

As the creator of this thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=534412

All i can say is I am very disappointed that the concerns of the players have not been addressed. By waiting to see how F2P impacts the APAC servers you are only prolonging their death.

Please do not allow this to happen! We have suffered enough! Read my thread, read all the responses. F2P is not going to save our servers. I can only predict you will continue to prolong the APAC servers death and continually cause angst to the APAC players over the next few months whilst you try and implement a solution.

Please listen to the people THAT PAY FOR THE GAME, not wait for some miracle that F2P will save the APAC servers.

Thankyou

<3 (a very hesitant love heart) Chippy

good to see a state of the game letter.

ad.subs, I really do not think the 15$ were the problem, but anyway a f2p option is not a bad thing.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/forums/thread/368437/Poll-Sub-or-no-sub.html

also regarding future content

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/forums/thread/366922/poll-Which-top-feature-to-get-yourself-interested-in-the-game-again.html

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.

The game has its moments and has kept me here with its story though it could be so much better with a little more polish. That being said you went from around 2 million players to 500k players, so something must be up with that. So some people love it and want to play it, some people have played it and hated it now they are gone.

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

This isn't the reason at all, I won't attempt to speak for those who left but I do know why the people around me left. They left because the story, as great as it is, gets very predictable, very repetitive, and in some cases doesn't really fit for various classes.

The next reason was the game is very linear, each class may have its own class quests, but each character you make does the exact same side quests with very little variations. Having different dialog for each race would have added a little variety. As an example Jedi Twi'lek would likely be treated differently when going into the first Twi'lek settlement in the Jedi starting area. I hate to bring it up but having multiple ways/paths for leveling and ensuring a rich endgame experience is one of the reasons WoW has been as successful as it is.

3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.

This is very true. Though had the game started out strong and didn't feel half complete at the start those I know would have been far more willing to wait for content. They don't mind that Blizzard has a "we will release it when it is as ready as it is ever going to be" mentality.

Dear Jeff and the BW team

As the creator of this thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=534412

All i can say is I am very disappointed that the concerns of the players have not been addressed. By waiting to see how F2P impacts the APAC servers you are only prolonging their death.

Please do not allow this to happen! We have suffered enough! Read my thread, read all the responses. F2P is not going to save our servers. I can only predict you will continue to prolong the APAC servers death and continually cause angst to the APAC players over the next few months whilst you try and implement a solution.

Please listen to the people THAT PAY FOR THE GAME, not wait for some miracle that F2P will save the APAC servers.

Thankyou

<3 (a very hesitant love heart) Chippy

This.

Thank you for the update! Keep them coming - this type of communication is good to hear, just needs more meat.

Suggested items to Address:

Level DPS % Spread! Many topics of conversation that SORC/SAGE and other classes are 15% difference in output from the FOTM (MDPS). I think decreased GCD and maybe buff DPS Tree's top items with % would close that gap. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548529

Make PVP Fun! It's not fun when you force Recruit/PVE geared to fight Elite WH geared teams.

LIMIT que's by level of Expertise (3 Tiers) 0-900, 901-1200, 1201+.

- You want to smack around recruits? Then pull some gear off to make it a more even fight.

- Nothing fun about a 50 in recruit gear playing (STUN > DIE > STUN DIE Again > STUN > DIE, repeat...)

- Lets PVE folks POP in and still remain somewhat effective and not rage quit ALL PVP or SWTOR

Cartel Coins - Price Tag per coin (Real money)? Plus - The 200/150 per month for previous months of SUB's should be bumped up some. (Since you are giving 500 a month going forward - why not previously)

QA Review Prices! Example: Hazmat's @350 BH Comms (~20 points more over next tiered gear for only 35 BH Comms? ~150 seems to be more realistic) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=536649

Gear Progression / Set Bonus. Gearing is an issue and fixing the Set Bonus is the solution. If the bonus is the same for Dread Master 4pc as a Columi 4pc you have an issue. No reason not to purchase all the (63) Mods/Enhancements and place into Columi. Scale set bonus with actual SET and make them count for something more (THEN you will see more people cranking in HM's for that Set Bonus gear).

1. Not a meter watcher myself but sounds fair.

2. Also a good point on Pvp, my addition is this: to get into a recruit match you have to were ALL the recruit set. You cant go to a WH match until you have the entire WH set and are wearing it. That would be awesome. You get the entire recruit set for free so this should be easy.

3. Cartel Coins: Agree but not game breaking for me.

4. BH comms: Not really following, but I think you mean the cost in comms from one set to the next higher set is too closely priced. You may be right.

5> Set bonuses: They should be on the armorings, not the gear. The whole point is to be able to control your appearance and remain relevent to the players level. It should be cheaper, if not free to swap out mods from aquired gear into gear you want to wear. Different, and better set bonus is a good idea. Or how about a fifth mod slot FOR the set bonus? Cripes! One more thing to make!..LOL.

Edited by Kelbun

How about new features and brand new content? And when I say content, I don't mean more flashpoints, operations or warzones...that content is nice, but we've had too much of them(in my personal opinion). What I would like to see is more guild features, especially a guild capital ship. I would also like to see more story content that expands the classes' stories. Finally, I would like to see brand new gear that isn't a recolored version of another set of gear, or atleast make some new markings or patterns on the gear you're going to re-use.

How about new features and brand new content? And when I say content, I don't mean more flashpoints, operations or warzones...that content is nice, but we've had too much of them(in my personal opinion). What I would like to see is more guild features, especially a guild capital ship. I would also like to see more story content that expands the classes' stories. Finally, I would like to see brand new gear that isn't a recolored version of another set of gear, or atleast make some new markings or patterns on the gear you're going to re-use.

Well at the rate we are going we will gt HK, then probably more twinkly stars in space combat.

Updated PTS Character COPY!

Please FIX this.. testing is a joke on PTS without a refresh!

a) Enable the ability to COPY like we had before

b) Make a vendor that sells TOKENS for gear for like 10 credits (So we can gear up to test stuff).

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

FYI: roughly 10 million people pay $15 a month to play World of Warcraft. Why? Because they decided that WoW was worth $15 a month. SWTOR lost over a million subscribers not because they couldn't afford $15/month, but because they'd decided that SWTOR wasn't worth $15/month.

I'm not saying that I agree with their decision, I am still subscribed after all, I just want to make sure you understand that your PR spin is fooling no one. Please stop trying to insult your customers' collective intelligence and just drop this line. You've decided to go F2P. Fine. Stop trying to sell it and just make it happen.

P.S. It's been six weeks since the last update. So... when's the next one again?

I’m hoping to use these postings as a direct way to address some of the top unresolved issues that most concern our community. I won’t get to everything all at once, but I’ll try to hit some of the big ones, and talk about these topics as openly as I can. It’s my hope that you’ll respond with more comments, questions and concerns.

Hello, Jeff. Thanks for doing these. It really is nice to see.

To introduce myself, I am a long-time roleplayer (and only slightly less long than I have been a Star Wars fan), starting my move from table-top to online, game-based roleplaying with BioWare's Neverwinter Nights as a player and later a designer and dungeon master on various "persistent worlds". I have played many MMOs since and find that far from being a "WoW clone", the game you have produced really does still have the distinctive BioWare touch of amazingly broad and intricate storylines and memorable characters. I like the game a great deal and, while there will always be room to improve, I think you are off to a fine start.

That said, I do have a concern. It is one shared by many other players, one we have been actively pursuing here since launch and which has never been addressed on these forums at all. That is:

What is the status of the promised same-gender romantic content and how will it be implemented?"

Particular concerns center on whether options will exist for all or only some classes, or particular character genders within classes. Another is that this content would only be available as an optional unlock bought through the cash shop. Finally, there is the question of whether same-gender content will ever be introduced beyond the rather limited scope of companion character romance to include the [Flirt] options encountered in conversation with regular mission NPCs.

I know this topic is controversial. Regardless, we have been waiting to hear anything for a long while. The only information we do have came from folks who are no longer with the studio, and was made either pre-launch or before significant changes to the direction of the game. We have asked, but not been told whether those statements are still current.

Edited by Uluain

Ah the meme continues. No Mr. Hickman, it wasn't "the price" of the subscription, it was "the quality of the service" for the price of the subscription that drove people away. In fact, your patch 1.4 "quality of life fixes" forced me back to World of Warcraft. Fix your game and tell us the truth. :cool:

EDIT: You know keeping legitimate complaints from your management only keeps them in the dark. SWTOR is not in the state they think it is. If you continue to delete posts that describe problems (like the graphics issues which make it near impossible for me to play your game since patch 1.4) they will continue to write fluff and spin pieces. You are fooling no one. :mad:

I've never seen a patch where it "forces" someone back to WoW. Must be a bug, it'll probably be fixed in the next patch. :jawa_tongue:

But while you're over there why don't you take your QQ to WoW's forums for a bit? :jawa_wink:

Edited by TalkingDinosaur

You got the big issues wrong IMO. Well, most of it. Most people didn't leave because it was a sub based MMORPG, they left because of the following: PvP content (open world/planetary control, etc.) Most people will agree to End Game content not being pumped out fast enough but I think it's fine. So I'll add it for them, and finally one for me personally is the rehash of ****** looking armor. For example, all of the Legacy armor. Yes, it looks like crap and it's impossible to get.