Base armor/damage stat question

CMoldas

Where do they come from? I have an orange quest reward saber with damage capping at like 292.

I got a treasure hunting schematic for a lvl 50 saber I can make. The damage however stops at like 42.

If I rip everything out of my current saber (I got on a mid-level planet) & put it in the crafted new one will the damage be the same? Worse?

What am I looking at to determine it's base damage? The same goes for let's say the containment officers orange gear. How will I know what the final armor rating will be for a particular piece? I know the armor/hilt mod rating number will increase it if the new armor/hilt mod number is higher, but it seems the base start is higher for certain pieces over others.

Newb question I know but I can't quite figure it out.

Thanks for all the help!!

If an item can be modified, the base mod (hilt, barrel, armoring) is the sole determinant of base values (damage, armor).

The rating on the base mod gives you a comparative value for whether it will be higher than what you have, as it adjusts for different item types.

For example, the same armoring in heavy armor will provide more armor than it will in light armor. But a higher rating mod in either armor type will result in an improvement.

Replying to your original quesiton. The new saber will soft cap at 292, if your old orange saber was capped at 292. You need to take out the mods from the old and place in the new. Generally speaking all orange gear, armor or weapons or sabers, is something purely "appearance", since the stats are determined by the mods you put in the items.

I'll try to help explain.

All "Customizable Gears" have the same "class base of that gear"

E.g.

1) A customizable Medium Armor, would have a base of "16 Armor". Regardless, it's for smuggler or Jedi Sentinel.

2) A customizable Light Armor, would have a base of "7 Armor"

3) A newly crafted but customizable Lightsaber, would have a base force of +48 Force power whether it be level 20 or level 50.

- Gears' levels doesn't change the base itself, but the add-ons do. i.e. for armor = Armoring + Mods + Enhancement.

- The required base gears' levels to wield will also change according to the add-ons' levels. E.g. a customizable level20 lightsaber will turn level 50 if any level 50 crystal/ hilts/ mods/ enhancement piece is slotted into it.

Hope this helps

Edited by pangwl

So if I had a piece of orange Medium armour, with a base of 16 armour, and an orange Light armour with a base of 7 armour, then put the exact same mods in both, would the Medium armour have higher stats than the Light?

I would assume it would, however is there any incentive to use the Light over the Medium? Is the different negligible in the long run, for example?

So if I had a piece of orange Medium armour, with a base of 16 armour, and an orange Light armour with a base of 7 armour, then put the exact same mods in both, would the Medium armour have higher stats than the Light?

I would assume it would,

-- YES, the armor rating will increase respectively

however is there any incentive to use the Light over the Medium?

-- Armor usage is class bounded? e.g. as a consular you can only use light armor. As a Jedi Guardian, you can use light armor, but why would you? (See below). Armor proficiency is in your abilities window, 'P' (in-game shortcut key by default)

Is the different negligible in the long run, for example?

-- Open your character sheet, and hover your mouse over the "Armor rating" (under defense) part, and read the tooltip yourself. You be the judge.

But in my opinion, aside from Aesthetic and RP-wise, one shouldn't use what's not for their own class.

Armor usage is class bounded? e.g. as a consular you can only use light armor. As a Jedi Guardian, you can use light armor, but why would you?

For aesthetic reasons. For example, if I wanted to use some of the Orange gear off of the CE vendor on my Commando, or items from the Fleet Commendations vendor on my Scoundrel.. It's a shame that players are penalised for wearing the customisable gear available in-game as their primary set of armour.

I was lucky enough to pick up the Jedi Battlelord set in January, but before then I hated the look of my Guardian and would have loved to have used some of the other available Orange gear; I never did due to the armour rating though.

Edited by JarenWelen