Tanking last phase of the TFB

Hi guys,

I have a question about tanking last phase of the TFB....

When we cleared the place in Story Mode, I was in top platform and even that we kill the boss at under %15 phase my healer could not keep me alive, after that I read the logs and saw at top platform I got only force/tech attack...

Now I read somewhere that if I stay at lower platforms, it is going to be a melee attack which will be shieldable/defensable, now I have an one cooldown for force/tech attack but 3 against melee, so going to bottom platform at %15 could increase my survivability specially for HM....

So, what I want to ask, I am not sure what exactly DPS is doing on this phase, do they have to stay at lower platforms? if I go to lower platforms will this disturb the DPS?

And one final question, if stay whole fight in lower platforms, will this disturb the DPS? I mean the platform I tank will be spitted and I have to change to another one but does the DPS has to switch platform for any reason other then Hypergate Anormalies?

everyone should be stacking on bottom platform for last phase, and yes if u r on bottom platform for the other phases you will disturb the dps as you are basically blocking them in between you and the other tank so they have no where to move from slam

Hi guys,

I have a question about tanking last phase of the TFB....

When we cleared the place in Story Mode, I was in top platform and even that we kill the boss at under %15 phase my healer could not keep me alive, after that I read the logs and saw at top platform I got only force/tech attack...

Now I read somewhere that if I stay at lower platforms, it is going to be a melee attack which will be shieldable/defensable, now I have an one cooldown for force/tech attack but 3 against melee, so going to bottom platform at %15 could increase my survivability specially for HM....

So, what I want to ask, I am not sure what exactly DPS is doing on this phase, do they have to stay at lower platforms? if I go to lower platforms will this disturb the DPS?

And one final question, if stay whole fight in lower platforms, will this disturb the DPS? I mean the platform I tank will be spitted and I have to change to another one but does the DPS has to switch platform for any reason other then Hypergate Anormalies?

Make sure all your tanks have Force Scream debuff cleared before transitioning into 15% phase. Not doing so results in pretty much insta death for any tanks with the said debuff.

everyone should be stacking on bottom platform for last phase, and yes if u r on bottom platform for the other phases you will disturb the dps as you are basically blocking them in between you and the other tank so they have no where to move from slam

Incorrect. The tank HAS to tank TFB in the lower platform, especially in hard mode. Not doing so means getting hit by 15k hits, unmitigatable every few seconds. The dps always have a free platform to move to, to avoid the slam: either the one exactly in front of the boss or the one exactly behind it.

And stacking on the last phase is not advisable because all the boss attacks hit the whole platform, so if everybody stacks the whole group is going to get mauled all the time. It may work in story (not sure), but it's quite suicidal in hard mode. What happens is that we usually spread out during the last phase, with maybe just both the healers standing on the same platform.

Edited by GeckoOBac

Hi guys,

Your DPS should be doing this. This was our guilds run of TFB HM this past weekend. We first get through the hypergate of phase 2 at 6:43 so you can skip to there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8asnKai2izs

As for this dulfy had an excellent diagram of the platforms. The link can be found here http://dulfy.net/2012/09/26/the-terror-from-beyondterror-from-beyond-operation-boss-guide/ For the first tentacles your tank on the left should be switching from 1,10, and 9 and your tank on the right should be tanking on the platforms mirrored of the left tank. When the second tentacle pops up the left tank should be switching between 2, 10, and 11 and the mirror platforms for the right. If you have any questions let me know :)

There's no need for anyone to share platforms. Healers will get hit just as often as anyone else (except the tanks).

Yeah, as I said "maybe", mostly because they will stand in the same place during the fight, to benefit from aoe heals, and they may not have time to spread around during transition if they need to top everybody off.

As a tank I stand on the left lower platform (11).

we make sure that everyone is on a different platform as TFB will never hit the same person twice in a row(unless taunted) and cycles through everyone in the raid. you can survive 1 hit from tfb and the heals have time to heal you back up.

After getting more geared etc, I sit at 11 and taunt TFB throughout tatrum. Single target/Aoe/Single target. This gives me 18 secs where tfb will not attack anyone and the heals only need to conc on me and the DPS can do their **** without worrying about anything.

After getting more geared etc, I sit at 11 and taunt TFB throughout tatrum. Single target/Aoe/Single target. This gives me 18 secs where tfb will not attack anyone and the heals only need to conc on me and the DPS can do their **** without worrying about anything.

You can't do Taunt>AoE Taunt>Taunt without having a break in the duration of the taunt debuff on the boss. Taunt is on a 15 sec CD so, at best, you'll have a 3 sec period where you're not the focus of the boss while your ST taunt comes off of CD.

As to the OP, tanks should always tank on the inside platforms closer to the boss (I do 10 until the first tentacles die and then 11 for the second pair and back on 10 for the third pair; DPS should know not to leap to a tank's platform to avoid Slams) because said attacks are M/R rather than F/T. If you're on the outside platforms, you're gonna have a bad time from all of that unmitigatable F/T damage.

You can't do Taunt>AoE Taunt>Taunt without having a break in the duration of the taunt debuff on the boss. Taunt is on a 15 sec CD so, at best, you'll have a 3 sec period where you're not the focus of the boss while your ST taunt comes off of CD.

As to the OP, tanks should always tank on the inside platforms closer to the boss (I do 10 until the first tentacles die and then 11 for the second pair and back on 10 for the third pair; DPS should know not to leap to a tank's platform to avoid Slams) because said attacks are M/R rather than F/T. If you're on the outside platforms, you're gonna have a bad time from all of that unmitigatable F/T damage.

Yeh, I do taunt wait 7-8 secs then aoe taunt then taunt again when its on CD. 1-2 sec of random DPS/heals damange is better than the whole 15 seconds of DPS/Heal damage. I find that Our dps take care of the fight in that time, and if not, the other tank has his taunts ready.

Thx for all the answers, one final question....

Is there a visual clue to understand that the spit comes?

So let say I tank at lower platform and if I can guess the spit is coming I can jump upper levels to eat the spit and jump down again....

Thx for all the answers, one final question....

Is there a visual clue to understand that the spit comes?

So let say I tank at lower platform and if I can guess the spit is coming I can jump upper levels to eat the spit and jump down again....

Stay on the lower platform, you'll see the spit hitting the platform. You will have to do a tank swap very soon after the spit anyway so there's no point in doing that.

When spit comes to your platform move to the outside ring. Take the scream on a platform where noone else stands. During the cast of the scream the other tank shall taunt him of and you should get rid of the debuff. Either take a chance and jump off the platform or go to the entrence to clear it. Then go back and wait for the spit to go away and taunt the boss when he cast the sream at your tank partner.