Threat Meter - Yes or no?

Hello my fellow SWTOR gamers!

I did a search and didn't see any other posts that cover Threat meters in SWTOR. I want to get constructive feedback on opinions in regard to a threat meter in tor. Please keep the conversation on topic and be as descriptive and constructive as possible. Provide examples if you can to support your oppinions.

Background on me: Level 50 gunslinger sharpshooter geared in mostly level 50 endgame purples (rakata, world boss stuff, crafted, columi). We have cleared the hutt boss, 5/5 normal mode EV and 4/5 Hardmode EV. Our tank is a geared and experienced Trooper Vanguard.

I notice threat and aggro management is our biggest downfall at the moment and leads to the most wipes. I wait 10 seconds or so for the tank to build threat and then commence dpsing. Very often myself or another dps will pull aggro off of the tank after a minute into the fight. While popping our threat drops on every cooldown. Threat seems to be a big problem in the game at the moment. I have no indication of when I need to back off a little or the tank has no indication on when he is about to lose aggro and needs to pop a quick wipe saving taunt. Enrage timers are a major limiting factor in progressing through content at the moment so it is very difficult to just say that dps needs to back off or wait longer before dpsing etc.

I will give examples to actual threat problems that have led to group wipes or my demise, keep in mind that I may only be listing one example this has occured many many times.

1. Last night on hardmode EV we were fighting Gharj. As you know he has a pretty constricting enrage timer. About 90 seconds after the fight started one of our melee pulled aggro and he swiped the group and followed with a quick pounce wihch led to 6 of our players dieing. We had no indicator that the tank was about to lose aggro and had no way of preventing this wipe short of the tank generating more threat.

2. On Soa (hardmode and reg) I have died many times due to threat. On the first and second phase Soa stays stationary and fires off ranged attacks. The animation on these attacks isn't very obvious as he also has a random target/attack that he does that is hard to differenciate between his aggro attack. The only real indicator I have that tells me I am currently the highest threat target (has aggro) is that my healthbar is dropping faster than normal and many cases I die before both myself and the tank realize this. I have also pulled aggro on phase 2 and the same thing occurs.

This gives you two examples of why I think a threat meter needs to be put in the game asap. A target of target would also help in this. Currently threat is a big challenge for tanks and aggro is very hard to hold for experienced raiding tanks. I can't imagine how players new to tanking feel. Implementing a threat meter would definately mitigate and ultimately solve the guessing game.

What are your thoughts?

Even with a 100% optimal rotation as a Juggernaut, DPS without Guard are still going to pull threat every time.

They need to buff our threat, not introduce meters. Slowing down DPS when enrage timers are a thing isn't (and shouldn't be) an option.

Edited by Farabee

If your Vangurd is losing threat then he needs to learn 2 play a little better to optimize his priorities. This is coming from someone that has both 50 guardian and vanguard tanking HM FP's and Ops. On the Guardian I have to work hard, and put taunt in my rotation occasionally, and with the Vanguard I can hit 3 buttons, go make a sandwich, come back and still good to go. Slight exaggeration but you get my drift.

I agree a threat meter is handy, or at least target of target in the interim.

First of all, yes they should push the taunts for our tanks. But i could jump out of a window if i read posts likes this where damage proffesions asks for Threat meters.

Im playing Mmo's for over 10 years now and i never had a so called "threat meter" if u as a damage class can't handle your class go and play something else or learn how to manage your damage.. that sounds hard but it is the truth.. if u see 4 skills in a row crit like hell (thats the part were you should activate your brain btw.) you might stop use your highest damage skill for a bit using white hits and/or something that doesnt do max damage so your tank has the chance to hold aggro. Thats tricky i know cause if u do that u have to think while playing not just looking at a bar that as soon as it blinks or goes red or whatever threat meter do to show you that you will get aggro soon. I could continue with examples for ages, but i guess its enough with my bad english for now.

Greetings

PS: You might think now what a ****er were is this constructive if it comes to Threat meters...its not but if u cant handle your class and if u have your brain deactivated you start asking for programs thinking for you, its like letting a bot playing for you the only difference is that u have to click yourself on the tracer missile skill :)

Im playing Mmo's for over 10 years now and i never had a so called "threat meter" if u as a damage class can't handle your class go and play something else or learn how to manage your damage..

Just out of curiosity, how do you "handle" your class in the absence of information?

Do you use some advanced mob mind-reading techniques that the rest of us aren't aware of?

The example you gave with the 4 crits in a row is utterly irrelevant because threat isn't a one-sided deal. Even if you assume that you're generating too much aggro, you don't have any information about how much threat the tank is generating at the same time. Your assumption could well be wrong, in which case you could be gimping your DPS for no good reason. When all DPS do this consistently, you have a better chance of not beating the enrage timer.

Also, I'm curious how you expect healers to know who is about to pull aggro. We can't see your numbers without a damage or threat meter, so how exactly are we supposed to know whom to pre-HoT or bubble just in case? People can generally survive one swipe from the boss before the tank taunts back, and their chances increase when the healer is prepared.

For someone who advocates using your brain, you don't seem to use yours much.

The way taunts work in this game(apparently) it's actually better for the dps to pull aggro every now and then, as using a Taunt gives you 110% of their aggro when its used.

Just out of curiosity, how do you "handle" your class in the absence of information?

Do you use some advanced mob mind-reading techniques that the rest of us aren't aware of?

The example you gave with the 4 crits in a row is utterly irrelevant because threat isn't a one-sided deal. Even if you assume that you're generating too much aggro, you don't have any information about how much threat the tank is generating at the same time. Your assumption could well be wrong, in which case you could be gimping your DPS for no good reason. When all DPS do this consistently, you have a better chance of not beating the enrage timer.

Also, I'm curious how you expect healers to know who is about to pull aggro. We can't see your numbers without a damage or threat meter, so how exactly are we supposed to know whom to pre-HoT or bubble just in case? People can generally survive one swipe from the boss before the tank taunts back, and their chances increase when the healer is prepared.

For someone who advocates using your brain, you don't seem to use yours much.

pay attention, Turn the boss if it aggro someone else, Oh look it turned around i lost aggro.

threat meters are for people that dont want to play the game for themselves, muhc like 90% of addons

Edited by Darthneubauer

I didn't read anything but the title of the thread, and I can say with 100% certainty that threat meters are really really dumb. Combat log is absolutley needed and so is a UI enhancement for target's target but definatley no nooby threat meter. Edited by ShockDevil