Training Costs are a Thing of the Past

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Let’s talk a bit about training costs for your characters abilities. One thing has become clear from the player feedback in not only this thread, but since launch: players do not like training costs. It is a situation where every level you will see your hard earned credits go to a holographic Hutt doctor in order to make yourself a bit stronger. We have been talking about this topic internally for quite some time and when you add player feedback to the mix one thing becomes clear… We should make training costs a thing of the past.

Since launch, you have spent millions of credits training skills across your characters. As of our maintenance next week all ability training costs will be completely removed from the game, forever!

What does this mean for you? This means that starting next week, instead of spending your credits on training skills, you can now spend them on literally, anything else you want. Note that this only affects ability training, you will still need to spend credits to training schematics for Crew Skills, etc.

Thank you again for your feedback.

-eric

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

Let’s talk a bit about training costs for your characters abilities. One thing has become clear from the player feedback in not only this thread, but since launch: players do not like training costs. It is a situation where every level you will see your hard earned credits go to a holographic Hutt doctor in order to make yourself a bit stronger. We have been talking about this topic internally for quite some time and when you add player feedback to the mix one thing becomes clear… We should make training costs a thing of the past.

Since launch, you have spent millions of credits training skills across your characters. As of our maintenance next week all ability training costs will be completely removed from the game, forever!

What does this mean for you? This means that starting next week, instead of spending your credits on training skills, you can now spend them on literally, anything else you want. Note that this only affects ability training, you will still need to spend credits to training schematics for Crew Skills, etc.

-eric

Gotta ask that question, any retroactive refunds since 3.0 went live?

Edit: I ask because I have guildies who have dropped basically all their credits to train their character this week.

Bonus Edit: And I am referring only to training from 56-60... not the 1-55 range.

Edited by azudelphi

Hey folks,

-eric

Wonderful news, thank you Eric.

Hey folks,

-eric

Thanks

Quite honestly, I don't understand why some people feel they're entitled to receive their money back or whatever, considering we're talking about virtual money.

I really don't.

What I have an issue with is stuff like this:

With all of the changes that hit with 3.0 to Disciplines, it is intended that there are abilities that need to be trained/re-trained. Here are some of the criteria that could cause this to happen:

• If an existing ability changed, in name or functionality.

As such, I'm glad this has come to pass.

Being FORCED to pay for any ability YET AGAIN because someone -- theoretically speaking of course -- finds the name offensive is eyerolling to say the least.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

your dollar, but you just opened the door for "demand refund" threads. Oh well.

Yeah, I did it in the first reply. Personally I don't care either way, I swear it's the guildies who apparently dropped like 1 mil credits on training going from 56-60 that I ask on behalf of; given that short window in which this change is being implemented compared to when they spent that.

But, as I said, it's not that I personally want anything back.

The thing that irks me most, is now we have something that could have been prevented had there been an open/public beta.

This whole topic of training costs only became an issue because Bioware didn't communicate well enough about this to allow anyone to expect to have to pay to train level 55 abilities again. Had there been an open beta, this might have been decided upon before early access began and many us spent a lot of credits on training.

C'est la vie!

The thing that irks me most, is now we have something that could have been prevented had there been an open/public beta.

This whole topic of training costs only became an issue because Bioware didn't communicate well enough about this to allow anyone to expect to have to pay to train level 55 abilities again. Had there been an open beta, this might have been decided upon before early access began and many us spent a lot of credits on training.

C'est la vie!

Early Access is the new Open Beta. :p

Make it subscriber-only.

Yeah, I went there. :cool:

Perfectly fair IMHO. Freeloaders get enough as it is.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Hey folks,

-eric

Well done Bioware....well done.

This was, IMO, one of the smartest moves you could have made.

Looks like I will need to resub after all ;)

• Dev Post
Gotta ask that question, any retroactive refunds since 3.0 went live?

Edit: I ask because I have guildies who have dropped basically all their credits to train their character this week.

Fair question azudelphi! Since the change we are making is a global one, affecting all players and skills, we felt this was a better approach to the overall cost to players. As a result, we will not be providing refunds for the cost of training.

Hope that clarifies our thoughts on the situation.

-eric

One thing I think it might be important to point out.

For those folks that have at least not leveled up yet to 60, but did spend the coins to upgrade their abilities, they will likely make their money back with the free training up to 60. They are saying now there are NO training costs at all.

And honestly, for those that are already 60...you could head to Rishi and do a bit of treasure chest farming...you will have your money back in less than an hour. At least until they patch it ;)

I am really astounded by this. A very VERY smart move on Bioware's part IMO.

Edited by LordArtemis