Empire = Alliance

Halofax

Knowledge time.

Empire is the richer faction, the faction with Lavish armor and beautiful cities.

Republic = horde.

Out fleet has freaking dirty tents in it.

The alliance were never good guys. They were trying to murder thrask for not wanting to be a slave.

The hell is that being the good guy.

Edited by Halofax

Knowledge time.

Empire is the richer faction, the faction with Lavish armor and beautiful cities.

Republic = horde.

Out fleet has freaking dirty tents in it.

The alliance were never good guys. They were trying to murder thrask for not wanting to be a slave.

The hell is that being the good guy.

Who is "thrask"?

It's a damned matter of opinion.

Empire is a more strict, regimental, and hierarchy-based society. Force-users start bloodlines that stay in power for a long time, and hold sway over most of the government. Slavery is supported, racism is sometimes prevalent, and there's a large amount of corruption. It kind of depends on viewpoint in a little way, as those that work their tails off can rise through the ranks to be successful.

Republic is more of a democratic and equal society. The Force-users in the Republic are more servants of the people and protectors, but do hold a lot of power in the government. Equality is promoted among the races, despite squabbles among individual races. It also wavers a bit on viewpoints, sometimes appearing a bit weak, and like there's corruptions in the ranks. The amount of space it covers is hard to control with a Democratic-Republic, and the difficulty shows.

Warhammer 40K novels are as geeky as I get. And that's pretty far down the spectrum from MMOs and Jawa plushies (yes, he's sitting on my desk while I listen to the Howling Fjord music from WoW because I miss it).

Lol i spelled thrall wrong, i'll admit it.

But I dont get why the bad guys are always liked to the horde.

The only bad guys in WoW are the blood elves and Undead. Everyone else is just shades of grey.

Fact: Republic was never the Good Guys.

In fact it was the Jedi's relentless persecution of the "Dark" offshoot of their religion that's led to this entire mess for hundreds of millennia, not unlike how Earth religions treat their spin-offs.

Surely they could've found some way to accommodate Ajunta Pall and his philosophies.

Even when playing TOR on Alderaan you may quickly come to agree that Palpatine's Empire nuking it was a good idea.

I had a similar train of thought at first, especially as a Bounty Hunter, but after awhile it seemed like every Imperial quest became killing the rebel scum, poisoning the locals, exterminating something, enslaving escapees, etc etc.

The Sith Empire here is pretty blatantly evil. Which is a shame really, because as the lore/story/website tried to explain that many of it's citizens were just born into an overly harsh/strict society and not necessarily evil.

I would have loved it if the Sith Empire was presented as a little more prone to military or combative resolution to problems, a little more "ruthless" for lack of a better word, without being quite so mustache-twirling, dog-kicking, downright evil.

In that regard, I think Malgus is one of the best questgiver NPCs in the game (as it comes to his flashpoint briefings). Never is he petty/evil, but frequently our orders are quite harsh.

Fact: Republic was never the Good Guys.

In fact it was the Jedi's relentless persecution of the "Dark" offshoot of their religion that's led to this entire mess for hundreds of millennia, not unlike how Earth religions treat their spin-offs.

Surely they could've found some way to accommodate Ajunta Pall and his philosophies.

However, for this game, it has been made very clear by the developers that the Sith are the evil faction. That is not to say that every player in that faction is playing an evil character, but they are on the evil team. If you're looking to play on what is classified as the "good guy" team, then it's the Republic or nothing.

The Republic certainly has its share of issues, but on a philosophical level they don't hold a candle to the evil nature of the Sith. Compared to them the Republic is "the good guys".

I don't agree with the original posters claim of "Empire = Alliance". The Horde had some serious evil (the Forsaken and their dark little twisted plots) within its rank and conveniently never managed to be aware of it despite how utterly unbelievable that ignorance was.

Edited by Apax

yes yes, we seen the post 100 times ToR= WoW in every way only WoW is EQ in every way ....and so on and so on tell we go back in time to cave men playing with rocks, every one just wont to see WoW or Warhammer, and not see what is defront, look wider sok?

i am atm leveling my first alt that is on empire side of the barricade. tbh as sith marauder i do feel like all my options are limited to a) kick the dog b) shoot the dog c) shoot the dog and laugh over his dead corpse :/ was expecting bit more of a harsh society with militaristic structure and direct approach to solving problems instead it feels like a bunch of sadists with lots of guns and bombs ;) not saying i don't have fun but tbh dark side choices on republic's sage quest line seemed more dramatic and with more meaning then anything i did so far as sith :/

World of Warcraft

Alliance = good guys, suck at pvp, not as much dev attention, lower population then opposing faction

Horde = bad guys, great at pvp, devs favor them, greater population then opposing faction

Stat Wars the Old Republic

Republic = good guys, suck at pvp, not as much dev attention, lower population then opposing faction

Empire = bad guys, great at pvp, greater population then opposing faction

Alliance = Republic

Horde = Empire

World of Warcraft

Alliance = good guys, suck at pvp, not as much dev attention, lower population then opposing faction

Horde = bad guys, great at pvp, devs favor them, greater population then opposing faction

Stat Wars the Old Republic

Republic = good guys, suck at pvp, not as much dev attention, lower population then opposing faction

Empire = bad guys, great at pvp, greater population then opposing faction

Alliance = Republic

Horde = Empire

horde wasn't evil

there were more alliance than horde

alliance always won on most of the servers i played on

Yeah I would say that Empire is pretty easily the most "evil" faction, but I would justify this to a point.

The Imperial military works differently from than the Republic. The Republic's goals are to promote unity and foster an environment were planets and factions can join the Republic. To that end, they need to ensure that their military endeavors follow a stricter code of moral conduct. So you get a more typical 20th/21st century military vibe from that.

The Empire is a different type of system. Rather than focusing on micro-level stuff like individual planets, people, etc., the Emperor/Dark Council/Imperial military leaders focus on a macro-level strategy of conquest. Their goal is to conquer and achieve victory as efficiently as possible, regardless of what "efficiently" means. Think of it this way: the Empire is trying to conquer much galaxy...hundreds of planets, plus defeating the Republic. Rather than getting bogged down on one world or with one issue, they will resort to "evil" tactics to basically sucker-punch everyone into fearing and obeying them or else face destruction.

The Republic might wage a long campaign in order to establish superiority and in the long run create a place safe for Republic ideals. The Empire might just nuke the place and be done with it, knowing that no further retaliation will come from there.

So yes, the Empire is more morally "evil" because of their tendency to disregard life and use more brutal tactics...but ultimately, its just a different system with a different ideology. But, I can't remember where I heard this in the game, but one Imperial officer said something to the extent of: "it might be brutal and harsh, but if it wins the war then it is worth it in the end. The longer this war goes on the worse it is for everyone. But if brutal and horrifying acts win the war sooner, then the ends justify the means." Not an exact quote but you get the idea.

I hesitate to use this analogy but, think of WWII in particular the Japenese and American conflict. The Japanese certainly used much more brutal and devastating tactics in an attempt to win the war: kamikaze, killing medics (which at the time was and still is considered immoral) poisoning water wells, etc. The American forces generally maintained a higher degree of moral code, albeit with a cost of being susceptible to Japanese tactics. Its a similar situation with Republic vs. Empire.

Edited by MikeFL

The Sith Empire can generally be summed up with a quest on Dromund Kaas.

Slowly and painfull kill the escaped slaves (Dark Side points!)

Kill the escaped slaves a bit quicker (Light Side points!)

To compare, the Sith Empire is at least as "evil" as the Forsaken's Royal Apothecary Society; in other words, they're pretty clearly the bad guys in SWtOR.

|

|

v

Considering Sith can be lightside (my sith warrior is currently Light IV) and one of the semi-early empire quest chains have you learn about the revanites (empire forceusers that try to embrace both the dark and the light side of things, as opposed to purely the dark side that is 'official' doctrine given by propaganda) I would say you are mislead in your claim.

There's plenty of non-sith among empire npcs that are outright evil in their undertakings and the quests they want to give you, so claiming it is a 'sith issue' would be like claiming that because you don't like apples, any fruit you come across is bound to be something you don't like.

The most interesting thing I've gotten out of playing a lightside sith, is to see just how opiniated and hypocritical most jedi are. Very few of them actually follow the light and 'walk the path of peace' (but at least some of them do), while the majority just goes into predjudiced hatemode as soon as they see a sith, irregardless of wether it is warranted or not...

They never really wanted to kill Thrall for not being wanting to be a slave.. they want to kill him because he is an Orc and most think Orcs are brutal and deserve to be killed because of what they did in the first two wars. Edited by bfishback

|

|

v

The irony being I prefer Republic over Empire and Sith over Jedi.

Emotion and passion=Love and compassion, anger and hate, fear and sadness, etc.

Sadly, most Sith are too blind to realize that, despite their message being better and more of a 'good guy' philosophy than the Jedi philosophy.