Toth Frenzy, Zorn targets his own tank for the rock throw. Solutions?

Basic scenario for Denova HM:

Toth is frenzied and pounding away. Everyone watches for the magical yellow icon to stop Toth's frenzy.

Then Zorn's tank get the icon.

This has happened twice already and it results in wipes.

Some questions:

What's the best way to continue if this happens again? (Fearful is usually still on the Toth tank when this happens)

Is there a way to make the Zorn tank not get the yellow reticle?

Does Toth's berserk disappear anyway after a while and the Toth tank just needs focus heals?

Edited by ImmortalAlien

Basically what marshmallow said, and all three tanks have a gap closer. Shadows can force speed, Guardians can force leap, and Vanguards can storm. (and whatever the ability equivalents are for their mirrors). Edited by Rodech

He won't move. Just run over there and drop it on him. Easiest for PT's because they can still hit him, but when it happens to me I still try to use wrecklessness+force lightning and a pull to keep some hate up, because if your DPS are going balls to the wall he will likely turn for them when the phase is over.

He won't move. Just run over there and drop it on him. Easiest for PT's because they can still hit him, but when it happens to me I still try to use wrecklessness+force lightning and a pull to keep some hate up, because if your DPS are going balls to the wall he will likely turn for them when the phase is over.

What we have noticed in the last few weeks is that it doesn't matter what you do as a tank. The last rock throw will be an agro wipe and he will turn to whichever person hits him 1st, usually a dot class. We tested it several times in a row, and each time Zorn threw the rock, if a DPS hit him with an ability, or a dot tick before the tank, he would instantly turn to a dps and the tank has to AE taunt to get it back to prevent fearful. Immediately after is a leap as well.

Anyone else notice this?

The solution in theory is to force leap over to toth (if you're a guardian/jugg, if not use whatever the equivalent is) get the purple, then use force push to reset the force leap cooldown and leap back over to zorn.

In practice this has never worked for us. We chalk it up as an RNG/bad luck wipe and start over with "/stuck" at this point. The timing is too tricky, the positioning becomes messed up, there always seems to be a fearful leap that isn't distanced/spaced properly ... if they're going to design the mechanics in this manner they should have made sure the tanks could not be targeted.

Edited by Powerrmongerr

The solution in theory is to force leap over to toth (if you're a guardian/jugg, if not use whatever the equivalent is) get the purple, then use force push to reset the force leap cooldown and leap back over to zorn.

Eh, what? The "theory" is that Zorn's tank ambles over to Toth, waits for the circle to turn purple, then heads back to where he was, same as everyone else.

This has never caused any issues when it's happened to us. I'd have to ask the tank if he was burning an AoE taunt on Zorn after the phase was over, but either way, it's been fine.

We ran our HM yesterday and our Zorn tank received the yellow reticle to place on Toth. It's happened in the past, but our solution for it has always been to put Toth just inside the reticle, so that it's on him, but he's near the edge of it. When it turns purple, my co-tank has always had time to run back over to where Zorn is and use some abilities. Our placement of the fight leaves them just out of range of each other and gives the Zorn DPS enough space for Fearful, but from the other videos that I've seen, we keep them closer together than most. That might be why we've never had an issue with the Zorn tank dropping the reticle and being able to get back to Zorn before anything happens, gap closer or no.

What's the best way to continue if this happens again?

Pump your fist and/or do a happy dance. Seriously. Having the boulder aimed at Zorn's tank is the least stressful situation you can get, even better than having the boulder aimed at Toth's tank, IMO.

If you're concerned about losing aggro on Zorn (causing him to wander towards the Zorn DPS/healer, probably giving them Fearful when Toth jumps over), just fire your AOE taunt at Zorn while you're waiting for the circle to turn purple or during Baradium Heave's lengthy cast time. You'll still have your single taunt ready for Toth when he jumps.