GSF just doesn't feel like Star Wars

GangaWolf

First off, this is just my opinion. I know yours is probably different, and I respect that, but this one is mine. :cool:

Maybe I played too much JTL in the old Star Wars Galaxies MMO....maybe I played too much X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter as well (yes - I'm dating myself), but those games felt like Star Wars. It wasn't just the look or sounds - by comparison the graphics on those games were primitive - it was everything about the experience. I felt like I was flying a fighter in a Star Wars universe. This feels like...I'm not sure what, but it doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. Make me defend a capital ship, assault a space station, fly past a blockade to get to a planet. But GSF could just as easily been branded under "Battlestar Galactica" with some graphical tweaks - and probably feels more like that anyway (at least to me). Not exactly like that, but more like that.

And it isn't the control scheme - it took me a few times to get used to it, but I've made it work. It's just the experience is not Star Wars.

To those that like GSF - I'm happy for you. I'll continue to try it, but it feels like to me like experiencing a celebrity by going to a wax museum instead of the "real thing".

First off, this is just my opinion. I know yours is probably different, and I respect that, but this one is mine. :cool:

Maybe I played too much JTL in the old Star Wars Galaxies MMO....maybe I played too much X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter as well (yes - I'm dating myself), but those games felt like Star Wars. It wasn't just the look or sounds - by comparison the graphics on those games were primitive - it was everything about the experience. I felt like I was flying a fighter in a Star Wars universe. This feels like...I'm not sure what, but it doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. Make me defend a capital ship, assault a space station, fly past a blockade to get to a planet. But GSF could just as easily been branded under "Battlestar Galactica" with some graphical tweaks - and probably feels more like that anyway (at least to me). Not exactly like that, but more like that.

And it isn't the control scheme - it took me a few times to get used to it, but I've made it work. It's just the experience is not Star Wars.

To those that like GSF - I'm happy for you. I'll continue to try it, but it feels like to me like experiencing a celebrity by going to a wax museum instead of the "real thing".

Errr stop playing GSF then and go back to Ground PvE/PvP I think its that simple isnt it ? Not burning your post man but yea

I think the only reason it feels less "Star Wars" - is because you're not flying the known ships: X, Y, A & B Wings, TIE fighters, interceptors, etc.

IMO, that would have been the only thing that put this over the top - but - it also wouldn't make any sense for the time frame this supposedly occurs in. *shrug*

Personally, GSF has made me feel this is more of a science fiction game (I won't go as far as saying a Star Wars feeling) than the ground game ever has.

I will agree with you OP that the two maps release so far do not convey a true Star Wars feeling, but I'll reserve judgment until new maps and games are introduced.

If you think of the movies, there a three types of space battles:

1. battle to destroy a super weapon (Ep 4,6 & 1)
  2. escape from enemy forces (Ep 5 & a little bit of Ep 2)
  3. giant fleet battle (Ep 6 & 3)

If the future reflect those type of games/objective I think GSF will go a long way in making SWTOR feel more Star Warsy.