Black Talon....crash?

I have two computers, and my old one, which is years old, doesn't have any problem with crashes, thou loading is slow cause of crappy processor.

my new computer, i got about 4 months ago, and it crashes every time at warp in Black talon, and Essele. so whatever it is, it has to be computer related, cause both computers options are set exactly the same, for prefrences, graphics, everything.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's your computers issue deal with it"

"BW FIX THIS IT NOT MY PC"

Not sure why people are still arguing over this. For the first few months everyone was 100% okie dokey. The. An Update was rolled out and a good portion of the member see began having issues.

Yes, the issue is/was with some of our PCs HOWEVER... It was discovered when BW changed something behind the scenes thus making the crash occur. People that continue to tell the player base to fix it themselves is not using their Grey matter very well.

I crashed twice a couple of nights ago. Another member of the party crashed out as well.

First time I came right back in. Second time I got the pop-up window saying the mission was completed and I got the credit.

It makes me feel better that it's a widespread problem - but it's still really annoying.

Edited by Thrill

• 4 months later...
What's interesting is that some people never crash at this particular spot, and others almost always crash. I'm in the latter category (and it's definitely not my computer or my connection). Minimizing the game prior to the hyperspace animation at the end does the trick. I wish I'd discovered it sooner. The upside is that I don't think I've ever been deprived of mission rewards whenever I've logged back in after the crash. Edited by klham

What's interesting is that some people never crash at this particular spot, and others almost always crash. I'm in the latter category (and it's definitely not my computer or my connection). Minimizing the game prior to the hyperspace animation at the end does the trick. I wish I'd discovered it sooner. The upside is that I don't think I've ever been deprived of mission rewards whenever I've logged back in after the crash.

You only don't get rewards if the rest of the group finishes the mission before you log back on.

I've had some real DB pugs who didn't wait the 30sec it took for me to get back on (even after telling them that the convo will kick me for a small bit) and then give the 'ole "sucks to be you / your computer sucks!!!!" response. I only do these if I'm beyond bored or need to make up LS or DS points.

• 3 weeks later...
Minimize right before the jump to the fleet or DK / Coruscant. Actually worked for me last night.

I have never minimized through these cut scenes. The thing that keeps me from crashing is if I don't spacebar through that particular part of the cutscene. Every time I accidentally spacebar through it, I am immediately kicked to desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this thread researching 20 Oct 13. First, the crash to desktop would net me mission rewards at my destination upon login. Later, the crash returned me to the flashpoint, just before the console dialog, forcing my character into an endless loop of choose a destination, crash.

What finally worked was the suggestion to MINIMIZE. In my case, that meant going from fullscreen mode to windowed. I suspect that had more to do with it, whereas minimizing might be superstitious ritual, but I did it, and it worked. In my case, as SOON as I'd pressed 1, I minimized the window, listened for awhile, and when I reopened the game, Dromund Kaas was loading. I arrived with mission rewards, no crash.

I'm running Windows 7 with an ATI 5850 and two identical Dell monitors on DVI ports. I update drivers often and research other ways to improve performance. Prior to the working fix described above, I'd tried various fixes in the thread, such as:

• Never touch the spacebar -> Didn't work
  • Alt-tab during the scene -> Didn't work
  • Try it grouped -> Didn't work
  • Try it solo -> Didn't work
  • Try selecting "Dromund Kaas" -> Didn't work
  • Try selecting "Imperial Fleet" -> Didn't work
  • Try it with companion on errand -> Didn't work
  • Try it with companion present -> Didn't work

Additional details: I've experienced the bug on at least two characters. Most tests conducted with a level 15 Imperial Operative with Kaliyo, conversation choices elsewhere both darkside and frequently earning Kaliyo affection.

What bothers me is that this thread has been active since

02.17.2013 , 08:13 AM | #1

...and it took me about 15 minutes to give you more information in more detail than Bioware. I'm a paying customer, current subscriber, with a variety of cartel purchases, who makes a living writing. Exactly the kind of customer (I'd think) a gaming giant would prefer to keep.

If Bioware doesn't have staff as analytic and detailed as its customer base, I suggest they hire real talent. Else is smacks of apathy.

Some of us have been with you since Beta.

• 4 weeks later...

Happened twice tonight.

How many years?

If what others I know in Dev are right , it's a simple bug in the light speed animation for that cinematic.

I do think it only happens in Windowed Fullscreen so I have been told. Fullscreen it does not happen, the new rumor anyways.

Come on BW, the game has been showing so much promise now and we cannot kill that?

Happened twice tonight.

How many years?

If what others I know in Dev are right , it's a simple bug in the light speed animation for that cinematic.

I do think it only happens in Windowed Fullscreen so I have been told. Fullscreen it does not happen, the new rumor anyways.

Come on BW, the game has been showing so much promise now and we cannot kill that?

Oh, it happens in fullscreen. Once I switched to windowed fullscreen and alt-tab out, it stopped happening. I often wonder how big the team is that maintains this game, if they can't fix a CTD issue that's been around since ... beta?

Yes happen to me also... :/ I do agree that if it is a problem that exists since "the beginning..." it should have been solved by now, as someone says it is the FIRST FLASHPOINT!!

What I think is really worse is the ops that keep saying it is the computer... instead of giving good criticism and help...

I play in an Alienware m14x r2 with all updates and I never experience a crash in any game, any program that I have tried since I have got it expect this particular time with this particular flashpoint... Im pretty sure it is the games problem not the laptop...

Workaround (at least this always works for me):

Before the final cutscene/choice where you choose between flying on to Dromund Kaas or Space Station:

Go into your Preferences ---> Graphics ---> Select "fullscreen" (NOTE: Actual fullscreen, not fullscreen-windowed) ----> Immediately after making your choice, but before any of the jumping to hyperspace animation shows, minimise the client (hit the Windows key) ---> Wait a bit, long enough for the scene to be over ----> Re-enter client.

E:

Strangely enough, ALT-TAB'ing out of fullscreen-windowed (which is what I normally play in) never seems to work for me, unless I'm just not doing it fast enough?

Edited by midianlord

I havent played in months...and I am still depressed to see this first flashpoint still busted... I have tried all the "workarounds" and none seem to work. Then ...on top of the the Flashpoint Quest and the Intro to Group Finder (used to get a group) didnt work. What should have been a nice quick bt run was long...and on top of that..no reward at the end. Disappointed..

• 2 months later...

I just want to say that, as a new player, this is incredibly depressing and frustrating! I've tried all of the work arounds posted, with no luck. Not being able to complete the first major flashpoint of the game is a big deal for me. I subscribed for 60 days and, at this point, am not likely to renew after that. If Bioware and the developers can't be bothered to identify the source of this common, if not universal, problem, and address it, it's clear that they are not genuinely interested in their customer's in-game experience. It's really sad, as it seems like a decent game, and there's obviously been a ton of work put into it.

Even if there's no possible fix, clearly explaining the issue and offering a work-around, even involving creating a code for the rewards, would be the obvious decision, but radio silence for years...that's pretty damned unacceptable.

This is still a problem? I stopped running this flashpoint a long time ago because the game would crash on that cut scene every time, without fail. Actually, I retract - much fail. It was so commonplace that the standard operating procedure in groups was to say "brb, about to crash" in chat. I was never unable to complete the flashpoint after logging back in, but annoying nonetheless.

Yeah they never fixed it. I have this problem also but there is a way around it.

When the last conversation starts and you are looking directly outside to the other ship, there will be some animation like faster than light travel or something, this is what kills the client for some yet to be identified, obscure reason.

The alt tab thing works, but make sure you are in full screen mode so that it minimizes your client completely, it won't work if you are in windowed/windowed full screen.

So start the convo, if you are soloing, spacebar quickly trough the dialog pick the first selection wheel and alt tab straight away, wait 10-15 secs and pull your game back up, it'll be fine from here one.

If you aren't soloing, chances are people won't spacebar trough the dialog as it's often the case with such low lvl instances. In that case just wait until the convo starts, alt-tab straight away and wait it out, 15-25 secs should do the trick.

It's a shame but at this point i don't think this will ever get fixed, even more sad that this is the first instance of the game therefor the first ''taste'' of group content new players are getting and given the widespread problem with the crash at the end i wouldn't be surprised if it turned a bunch of people off the game, but hey what do i know.

o/