RIP pvp

WickedImage

My biggest probs with GW2 is the lack of any new pve content which should be changing with the xpac and getting gold which isn't that hard tbh but swtor spoiled me with how easy it is to get credits from dailes ops and selling decos.

As for the pvp learning curve imho it's no different than swtor if anything it emphasizes on learning the other classes abilities even more than swtor. GW2 has it's own op class combinations etc like celestial d/d elementalists essential sorcs here but all 3 specs combined, the game has its class balancing issues but imo no where near as bad as swtor. Really comes down to if someone is willing to start over again and be new. On the bright side it's possible to get your own map or hop in with someone you might know and practice.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not that we ever had super awesome and balanced pvp....but still. These new changes are horrible and will likely kill pvp for me. So, sadly, I think when 4.0 drops I will be playing another game. I've read enough to believe it's time to move on and I have begun the process of looking for a new game.

Any game suggestions for me to look into are welcomed. :(

Currently waiting on Star Citizen and have bought into game....over a year ago now? Don't think it will be ready by the time 4.0 drops though. I suppose I could go play Planetside 2 again for a bit....?

Yep - the sky is falling - Duck and Cover!!!

Why don't you go to wildstar - yep that's right, wasn't fun that one either it turned out. ArchAge then!? Well, it can be fun but not Star Wars, question is if you could 'hack' it there?

Balance of class, or imbalance, is a myth, there's only you and those you play with - the result will match your 'know how'! That's the one and single truth . . . anyone whining about it, is a part of a group where the parts don't equal up to what it takes to win . . .

looking for other game suggestions mostly, k *******?

I've been playing BF4 for my PvP fix for some time now. Can't wait till SW Battlefront drops, already have my pre-order in.

SWTOR is fun to check out every couple weeks or so. Play a few matches, be reminded that nothing has really changed much, and then take another break.

Almost forgot GW2 doesn't have the awful forsaken lag fps drops w/e it is that haunts swtor and that alone can make any experience 10000000x better.

Amusingly GW2's engine is derived from the same Hero Engine that SWTOR is derived from.

Although it is worth noting that guild war's entire world design hinges on being able to handle large amounts of players simulteaously, whereas SWTOR is built on small scale.

Although yeah it's really annoying that GW2 has higher fidelity than SWTOR yet puts substantially less load on my rig. Especially once I locked the FPS at 30 so that my computer didn't incinerate itself trying to render the above pic at 70 fps.

Edited by Zoom_VI

My biggest probs with GW2 is the lack of any new pve content which should be changing with the xpac and getting gold which isn't that hard tbh but swtor spoiled me with how easy it is to get credits from dailes ops and selling decos.

As for the pvp learning curve imho it's no different than swtor if anything it emphasizes on learning the other classes abilities even more than swtor. GW2 has it's own op class combinations etc like celestial d/d elementalists essential sorcs here but all 3 specs combined, the game has its class balancing issues but imo no where near as bad as swtor. Really comes down to if someone is willing to start over again and be new. On the bright side it's possible to get your own map or hop in with someone you might know and practice.

Pve isn't an issue for me... I'm pvp all the way baby

Amusingly GW2's engine is derived from the same Hero Engine that SWTOR is derived from.

Although it is worth noting that guild war's entire world design hinges on being able to handle large amounts of players simulteaously, whereas SWTOR is built on small scale.

Although yeah it's really annoying that GW2 has higher fidelity than SWTOR yet puts substantially less load on my rig. Especially once I locked the FPS at 30 so that my computer didn't incinerate itself trying to render the above pic at 70 fps.

I wonder though if they started with a beta model of the engine and modified it so much that improvements to it can never be implimented... Like Bio did with Swtor

I wonder though if they started with a beta model of the engine and modified it so much that improvements to it can never be implimented... Like Bio did with Swtor

The beta/alpha starting point is meaningless. It's where they went from there that matters. ArenaNet had certainly already decided on focusing on large scale events when they began development which means that they where designing the engine to be as smooth and efficient as possible from the very beginning because they knew their game depended on it.

Bioware on the other hand focused on giving a Mass Effect cinematic experience, an probably never really put much into optimizing the engine's performance for large groups.

Also see this post.

Bioware on the other hand focused on giving a Mass Effect cinematic experience, an probably never really put much into optimizing the engine's performance for large groups.

Also see this post.

Downside is, Mass Effect looks better and the transition between playing and cinematics is smoother. That's a good explanation, however I can't help wonder if they limited themselves from the outset by not having a 64-bit client able to cope with larger mipmaps / texture atlases so resolution wasn't a huge issue. Mind you, having low poly character models also doesn't aid things overall.

Why don't we see these types of posts on the forums now, except when Alex or Tait decide to step in and explain things in more detail? Because BioWare PR likes Blogs™. Actually, who am I kidding, they don't have a PR team, it's just some interns.

Downside is, Mass Effect looks better and the transition between playing and cinematics is smoother. That's a good explanation, however I can't help wonder if they limited themselves from the outset by not having a 64-bit client able to cope with larger mipmaps / texture atlases so resolution wasn't a huge issue. Mind you, having low poly character models also doesn't aid things overall.

Mass effect runs smoother because it doesn't have all the server crap that a MMO has to deal with.

As for 64bit, please note that this game began development in 2006, Vista (the first mainstream 64bit OS) didn't launch till 07. Now converting a 32bit to 64bit is totally doable but there are a couple major issues

1) merely converting to 64bit won't net any of the benefits of using 64bit. To capitalize on 64bit capabilities they would need to start back at the beginning and rebuild everything. Plus converting to 64bit invariably brings lots of bugs.

2) Converting to 64bit would change the minimum system requirements, which can lead to some legal trouble.

Why don't we see these types of posts on the forums now, except when Alex or Tait decide to step in and explain things in more detail? Because BioWare PR likes Blogs™. Actually, who am I kidding, they don't have a PR team, it's just some interns.

There was a major shift in how they did PR around 1.3. Not sure what prompted the change but they clammed up after it. In the early days of the game BW was fairly active in the community, and we actually saw posts from the devs and not just the community team.

The reason these changes are so crap for PVP is because they are geared towards PVE. These mobility changes weren't meant to help chase down other players. They were made to help warriors and sins get back on target as some boss knocks them back or jumps around. The sorc is given tools to escape a bunch of adds and keep healing. Even mercs are being given stuff to help with PVE.

The reason these changes are so bad for PVP is because they aren't meant for it at all. They don't make sense any other way. Give warriors a way to stay on target, but then give other classes more escapes? It helps warriors stay on target because it's meant to be used against FP bosses and such, not the players with all these new escapes.

Not neccessary in current PVE, though it could be nice at times. I'm thinking with their renewed focus on single player, we're going to see npc's using more stuns, knockbacks, jumps, etc.

It is the only way these changes make sense.

Edited by Svarthrafn

The reason these changes are so crap for PVP is because they are geared towards PVE. These mobility changes weren't meant to help chase down other players. They were made to help warriors and sins get back on target as some boss knocks them back or jumps around. The sorc is given tools to escape a bunch of adds and keep healing. Even mercs are being given stuff to help with PVE.

The reason these changes are so bad for PVP is because they aren't meant for it at all. They don't make sense any other way. Give warriors a way to stay on target, but then give other classes more escapes? It helps warriors stay on target because it's meant to be used against FP bosses and such, not the players with all these new escapes.

Not neccessary in current PVE, though it could be nice at times. I'm thinking with their renewed focus on single player, we're going to see npc's using more stuns, knockbacks, jumps, etc.

It is the only way these changes make sense.

The easiest solution, which many in both pvp and pve camps have been asking for is two different skill sets... One for pve and one for pvp... If they just balanced the current classes properly for a pvp skill set only, it would be good enough for me to not even have any new abilities for 4.0... I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard to do... They have most of the abilities already... By removing new abilities from the skill set... All they'd need to do is spend a little time on balancing the current ones for pvp only... Then they wouldn't need to worry about trying to do it later after 4.0 launches and we all complain... Then the pve people wouldn't complain about changes to classes to suit pvp people... It's a viscous circle...

From my perspective I don't need any new abilities for every xpac... I'd be happy with properly balance pvp class skills that could last multiple Xpacs... I'm sure a lot of us would prefer this to constant changes and multiple nerfs/buffs that go backwards and forwards between pve balance and pvp balance... Balance for either part of the game will never happen if they aren't split...

The easiest solution, which many in both pvp and pve camps have been asking for is two different skill sets... One for pve and one for pvp... If they just balanced the current classes properly for a pvp skill set only, it would be good enough for me to not even have any new abilities for 4.0...

The Disciplines revamp was a great opportunity for BW to do this, but instead, they blew it completely and sold out for PvE.

swtor best here awesome story swtor have SOUL DUDE.... Bioware have soul. They are trying hard all what we have it is old maps pvps it is old developers Thank you guys EA kicked u after 1 month Now ea killed game so sad sooo sad :( But Ea did with it all game studios . Swtor 1st and last mmo for me it is awesome GRAPHIC, STORY, WORLD, Open HUGE BEATIFULL WORLDS all close to perfect SWTOR 2 with bioware OR G*F* EA G*F* Edited by Wheerlpool

I think you just need to take it for what it is I'm still having fun with friends and guild members in this game each day and have done so for the last 3 years it's just one platform of entertainment available to us for not even 50c a day

When I get bored of it I play something else.

I think you just need to take it for what it is I'm still having fun with friends and guild members in this game each day and have done so for the last 3 years it's just one platform of entertainment available to us for not even 50c a day

When I get bored of it I play something else.

That's good in theory until you realise that most of your guild has quit and so have your friends...

tbh I think GW2's system design is the future of MMOs. They've managed to solve many of the issues of solo play vs group play that plague the WoW-clone model. They also managed to introduce a fully horizontal progression/ability system while still giving the player a vertical progression experience.

The only major issue with GW2 is a exceeding brutal PvP learning curve.

So does anyone have any suggestions on which GW2 server to try for pvp... There's 25 and I have no idea what to pick

Another vote for Camelot Unchained here. Probably the biggest argument for it is: It' MAIN FOCUS is PvP, no PvE crap, no raiding, no solo leveling etc.

Also consider the following: We have seen many "WoW Competitors" being hyped, rise and fall during the last ~15 years. Many of the went F2P or were closed down completely (I'm looking at you Warhammer Online!).

There is one game that came out quite a bit before WoW and is still going on a subscription base. And this is Dark Age of Camelot! It is running almost 15 years now if I'm not mistaken and even though it is totally outdated enigne-wise and a real pain to play control-wise (especially if you have played WoW), it is just so good in it's core game mechanism (which is PvP) that people are still willing to pay for playing it. It even outlived it's own inofficial successor (Warhammer Online).

Actually, if they would just re-release DAoC with a new enginge and WoW-like user-interface, it would definitely be THE choice for a PvP-MMO. And now comes Camelot Unchained which is from the same designer as DAoC and comes with the same core PvP system, so I have high hopes for it.