There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

Timarick

Sure, you construct an absurd example then attack my point. I think your character name breaks RP rules, so do I get to say so? Don't be a punk about this.

Considering I've had to report a DOZEN names in the first 15 minutes of logging in today, this is getting more out of hand. One person called themselves "Padmé Naberrie" which anybody would tell you that was Padmé's birth name before she was christened Amidala. You bet your *** I reported that name, so much for iconic Star Wars names being off limits. Or did the devs forget there was an Episode I thru III? (most likely, I keep forgetting this IS the internet where the butthurt is obscenely strong...)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly speaking, I see no difference between PvE and RP servers in the game.

To be honest, when I first started playing SWTOR, I was a COMPLETE noob, and picked the first server that appeared on the selection screen (the ebon hawk).

I do not RP myself, but there is NO WAY I am transferring 16 characters to Jung Ma or the Covenent. (16 x 1800 is 28800 CC, or ~$240)

While I am on the subject of servers, why's there none in oceania?

Names.....ya know what, Han Solo is not blocked ingame. Watch this: Hàn Sölo.

I actually seen a person with the name Révan, wearing the full getup and spouting some nonsense atop the VIP lounge.

So, no, even basic names are not policed.

Also, and yes I now know that RP servers don't have special rules ya-da-ya-da-ya, but, you should really come on Ebon Hawk's early hours pub fleetchat.

IN the eternal works of Obi-Wan Kenobi: "You will never find a more reched hive of scum and vallainy".

Anything from mockery, to outright threats, bullying, abuse, political propaganda on how great the US is, I could go on for pages. Not to mention the thrice-blasted gold spammers who I have /ignored at least 500 of.

RP on the Hawk is, at least quality RP, only conducted on personal starships within small guilds, or on custom channels.

I cannot express how much nonsense there is in cantinas, making it virtually impossible to get rested XP for the sake of my sanity.

Anything from how they are gonna kill the Sith Emperor, to how they are dating general Garza and Satele Shan, to ****, to I hesitate to post what, lest young impressionable minds read this comment.

Greater policing needs to happen, or people need unlimited -- and free -- character transfers, whichever is easier for BioWare to do. Frankly, the free transfers would hurt them less than paying staff to moderate, and then fees to take the mods to the shrink.

And on the subject of policing, WHY, oh WHY do you make the Dancer, Reveler, Relaxed, Extrovert and such gear?

If I see another female Sith pureblood shaking a near-naked thong-wearing rear at the GTN mailbox on the fleet, I'm gonna have to treat this game to a specail dose of SHIFT+DELETE and Control Panel » Programs » Uninstall A program » Star Wars: The Old Republic &action: Uninstall.

I believe I have spoken enough, but you are welcome to debate me. I will win, anyway.

And, I'm perfectly aware that a legacy name of "Sunrider" breaks many RP rules.......but, did I say I was Nomi's grandkid? No. So no comments on that.

Nor on Meetr'ika. Because, I did not write Meetrâ, but something slightly more original. Learn Mando'a before commenting.

And on the subject of Mando'a, hardly anyone knows anything about the Star Wars Expanded Universe in this game. Lol, I've seen some RPers who forgot about KotOR entirely.....

Sure, you construct an absurd example then attack my point. I think your character name breaks RP rules, so do I get to say so? Don't be a punk about this.

There are no RP rules...

There are, however, naming rules for the game. If you feel that my name violates those rules, feel free to report it.

In fact, I have had it pointed out to me that my legacy name (Kusanagi) is also from some anime show that I've never watched.

I told that person to just report me and let Bioware decide if it's against the rules or not.

Turns out it is also some legendary sword and a very common japanese name. So they let me keep the legacy name.

Also, I am not a punk. I shaved off my mohawk years ago.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I believe I have spoken enough, but you are welcome to debate me. I will win, anyway.

I'll take you up on that offer.

While I am on the subject of servers, why's there none in oceania?

There were, but they got shut down because of the low number of players.

Names.....ya know what, Han Solo is not blocked ingame. Watch this: Hàn Sölo.

I actually seen a person with the name Révan, wearing the full getup and spouting some nonsense atop the VIP lounge.

So, no, even basic names are not policed.

No, nothing is "policed". There are no bioware staff spending their days sniffing out names that break the rules.

The system relies on the report function. Have you noticed that if you right click on someones name you have the option to report the name?

That's how they police it. But so many players don't know there are any naming rules (so much so that I actually get asked to prove it every time I bring it up) that hardly anyone reports names that break the rules. If you see a name that violates the rules it's up to you to do something about it. If you don't care then fine, don't report it. But if you do care, don't just get annoyed and start ranting about it somewhere. Use the report name function, it's what it's there for.

Also, and yes I now know that RP servers don't have special rules ya-da-ya-da-ya, but, you should really come on Ebon Hawk's early hours pub fleetchat.

IN the eternal works of Obi-Wan Kenobi: "You will never find a more reched hive of scum and vallainy".

Anything from mockery, to outright threats, bullying, abuse, political propaganda on how great the US is, I could go on for pages. Not to mention the thrice-blasted gold spammers who I have /ignored at least 500 of.

Yes, well, welcome to MMO's. Doesn't matter what game you join, you will always find that stuff. If they break the rules, report them.

RP on the Hawk is, at least quality RP, only conducted on personal starships within small guilds, or on custom channels.

I cannot express how much nonsense there is in cantinas, making it virtually impossible to get rested XP for the sake of my sanity.

Anything from how they are gonna kill the Sith Emperor, to how they are dating general Garza and Satele Shan, to ****, to I hesitate to post what, lest young impressionable minds read this comment.

Young impressionable minds shouldn't be reading this anyway since the game is rated T. It's not for little kids (even if some parents let their kids play the game anyway)

Greater policing needs to happen, or people need unlimited -- and free -- character transfers, whichever is easier for BioWare to do. Frankly, the free transfers would hurt them less than paying staff to moderate, and then fees to take the mods to the shrink.

Or, people could, you know, learn the difference between RP and PvE before they pick a server and play until they have 16 high level toons... Don't hold bioware responsible for your ignorance in this case.

And on the subject of policing, WHY, oh WHY do you make the Dancer, Reveler, Relaxed, Extrovert and such gear?

If I see another female Sith pureblood shaking a near-naked thong-wearing rear at the GTN mailbox on the fleet, I'm gonna have to treat this game to a specail dose of SHIFT+DELETE and Control Panel » Programs » Uninstall A program » Star Wars: The Old Republic &action: Uninstall.

This discussion again?

There have been plenty of threads on this subject and it has been proven again and again that there are plenty of examples in the Star Wars universe of people dressing in gear like that.

This isn't the little house on the prairie. It's the same Star Wars where princess leia wore a gold bikini for half a movie. It's the same universe where Darth Talon wore skimpier clothes than we can in the game right now. It's the same universe where Aayla Secura wore tight and revealing outfits on the big screen.

Get over it.

And, I'm perfectly aware that a legacy name of "Sunrider" breaks many RP rules.......but, did I say I was Nomi's grandkid? No. So no comments on that.

Not only that, but it breaks the actual naming rules too, which is much more of an offense than someones concieved RP rules.

I'd say you are lucky that nobody has reported you yet.

Nor on Meetr'ika. Because, I did not write Meetrâ, but something slightly more original. Learn Mando'a before commenting.

And on the subject of Mando'a, hardly anyone knows anything about the Star Wars Expanded Universe in this game. Lol, I've seen some RPers who forgot about KotOR entirely.....

Yeah, that means nothing in Mando'a as far as I know. Admittedly, my Mando'a is a bit rusty. But just to make sure, I checked my Mando'a dictionary, and I found nothing.

Not only that, but it breaks the actual naming rules too, which is much more of an offense than someones concieved RP rules.

I'd say you are lucky that nobody has reported you yet.

Good to know.

Unless you have something useful to say, don't say anything. By useful, I mean links.

And, there's no such thing as luck, friend. Only people who are not jealous.

Yeah, that means nothing in Mando'a as far as I know. Admittedly, my Mando'a is a bit rusty. But just to make sure, I checked my Mando'a dictionary, and I found nothing.

Then /Yodavoice "You must learn."

I'd tell you, but what's the point?

Good to know.

Unless you have something useful to say, don't say anything. By useful, I mean links.

And, there's no such thing as luck, friend. Only people who are not jealous.

Link: http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

The section about naming policies:

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

As for being quiet if you don't have anything useful to say, I'd say you are breaking that little tidbit of wisdom on a daily basis.

Then /Yodavoice "You must learn."

I'd tell you, but what's the point?

Nothing here: http://www.mandoa.org/

Nothing here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mando'a

Nothing here: http://www.karentraviss.com/page20/page26/

Nothing here: http://swc-kyrgalaar-vhett.webs.com/englishtomandoadictionary.htm

Nothing here: http://www.completewermosguide.com/mandalorian.html

Nothing here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f34/mandoa-dictionary-28417/

Kinda hard to "learn" when it's not in the official language... Of course, I could just make stuff up, but that's hardly the way to "learn" a languge.*

The closest I could imagine is Miit'ika or Miitr'ika meaning little word.

But there is nothing even resembling Meetr'ika nor Meetrâ in Mando'a.

Now, I know that you are referencing the name Meetra Surik, of course. I'm just saying there is nothing like that in Mando'a.

You are of course using it as "little Meetra" but that's hardly saying that you are not using the name Meetra... it's just saying it in a different way... You could just as well have used Meetrâ since there little difference.

It'd be like calling yourself Revan'ika... You'd still be calling yourself revan, only "little revan" in mandalorian.

Man have I violated some naming policies...

But I don't think anyone cares about someone's name on a pve server unless it's incredibly offensive(foul words, racism, etc.)

Yeah, I think people on RP servers care more about names than people on regular PvE servers.

Of course, if your name violates the rules, someone might report it sooner or later. But that just means you get a free rename. No biggie.

Where are these "rules" you speak of? You want them to enforce rules that don't exist? Not sure why people would create characters on RP servers if they weren't interested in RP, but there are no specific rules or procedures for those servers. Also, sounds like you want BW to do your RP work for you. You want them to create RP events, etc. That's a waste of developer time and resources. Use your imagine and create your own RP events. That's kind of the point of RP, isn't it?

Where are these "rules" you speak of? You want them to enforce rules that don't exist? Not sure why people would create characters on RP servers if they weren't interested in RP, but there are no specific rules or procedures for those servers. Also, sounds like you want BW to do your RP work for you. You want them to create RP events, etc. That's a waste of developer time and resources. Use your imagine and create your own RP events. That's kind of the point of RP, isn't it?

Well, his main complaint was about the names... and there are actually rules for names.