Operations auto-assigned loot problems

Greyhorse

Okay my guildies and I have had issues with the "auto-assigned loot" in Operations.

1.) No matter what "Looting" setting we use it's "auto assigned" which we really have no problem with except it's assigning loot to players who can't use it and it's BOP while thier are players who could actually use the item so we are unable to trade / assign the loot correctly.

2.) we keep comming across Loot chests that have made the assignments but we are unable to pick-up Loot at all having to move on without taking the Loot.

We have sent in numerous tickets with accurate info ( time/date/operation/chest location..etc. ) with the standard "thankyou for your input - it has been directed to the appropriate department for review, unfortunately we won't be able to respond further, Blah Blah Blah " messages you get on just about all tickets so they can be closed.

How many others have had this issue and has anyone heard anything positive about a fix and/or players recieving the lost loot ? Now never recieving the loot is not an issue as much as a "fix" being installed. It's I guess more of game experience thing.

If this has been posted on earlier I appologize for being repedative but with all the stuff in the Forums these days and a pretty un-functional search engine I figured this is the best way to get a response... thx

• 1 month later...

Wow this is completely ***********

the last 2 guild runs we did our healers got DPS gear and our DPS got healer gear

I hope they change this its ridiculas or at least make it so gear can be traded by

players that were present for the kill

Edited by Artthen
removed inappropriate language

Thx for the clairification on the Auto-Loot question. Has anyone had the issue with being unable to loot chests ? We are able to loot coms/crystals, but unable to pick-up assigned loot (none) at some chests . ?
I read somewhere that you can work around that by assigning the winner to be the op leader?

You know, it was a really good idea. I wish you could just improve it rather than throw it away. Normal mode raids are nice because of that loot system. Just have everyone loot the boss. Maybe they get something, maybe they don't. No muss, no fuss, no need for us to establish fancy loot rules.

But then we get to hard mode raids, and we are right back to old fashioned loot problems. When you happen to have 4 of the same class in the raid and two of that class's rakata item drops, it's a real PITA to distribute them. If you use the need/greed system, you run the risk of one person winning both. If you use the Master loot system, you run the risk of bugging out the loot.

By the way, the master looter system sucks.

You know what would be really nice in SWTOR raiding? An entirely new Master loot system. This is what I envision:

- Only the raid leader can loot a corpse. This prevents people from looting early when there may be dead people on their way back from the med-center.

- When the corpse or chest is looted, pop up a big window for everyone in the raid. This window would be similar to the auction house UI, capable of listing every item the boss has all at the same time.

- Individual players can 'opt-in' for each individual piece of loot. Everyone in the raid can see who has opted for what.

- The master looter can make sure everyone has 'opted' for the items they need to, and everything is taken care of. Loot is not distributed until the master looter hits a 'go' or 'accept' button.

- Each individual item would be randomly distributed (like need / greed) to the people who opted for it.

- People can change their mind and cancel their opt-in for an item before the master looter hits his accept button.

I described this idea to my raid group a while back, and the responce I got was "I wish we had that!". So please consider.

Good news! We announced at the Guild Summit that we're removing this "pre-destined loot" system from Story difficulty in Game Update 1.2.

What's the plan currently?

WoW is changing their LFR difficulty looting to give something usable from the boss's loot table to everyone who rolls high enough, regardless of what other people roll. Of course since LFR in WoW is cross-server it's much easier for players to escape any loot drama back to their own server. So I'm really anxious to hear how SWTOR is going to improve on WoW's version with the no-cross-server-LFR restriction in place.

@Couch_Goblin: there's no predetermined 'healer' or 'DPS' gear drops in ops, at least none that would be worth a forum post - "real" gear comes in form of tokens which you can trade in for your flavour of choice at the appropriate trader.

@BlackMink: what's the problem with Master Looter? We've never had any issue with it, ever. Have we just gotten lucky or...?

Your suggestion could work but it seems a wee bit too complicated to me (plus it's really just a glorified interface for Master Looter). Why don't just use ML and have the potentially interested people /roll on individual pieces?

For us it works like this:

- roll for Need (only the classes that can actually use the piece)

- if no one wants, roll for companions/mod extraction (anyone)

- if there's still no one interested, assign to random Ops member

But then again, that's under the assumption that ML works (which it does, in our runs). So, what's the issue with ML? :)

You know, it was a really good idea. I wish you could just improve it rather than throw it away. Normal mode raids are nice because of that loot system. Just have everyone loot the boss. Maybe they get something, maybe they don't. No muss, no fuss, no need for us to establish fancy loot rules.

But then we get to hard mode raids, and we are right back to old fashioned loot problems. When you happen to have 4 of the same class in the raid and two of that class's rakata item drops, it's a real PITA to distribute them. If you use the need/greed system, you run the risk of one person winning both. If you use the Master loot system, you run the risk of bugging out the loot.

By the way, the master looter system sucks.

You know what would be really nice in SWTOR raiding? An entirely new Master loot system. This is what I envision:

- Only the raid leader can loot a corpse. This prevents people from looting early when there may be dead people on their way back from the med-center.

- When the corpse or chest is looted, pop up a big window for everyone in the raid. This window would be similar to the auction house UI, capable of listing every item the boss has all at the same time.

- Individual players can 'opt-in' for each individual piece of loot. Everyone in the raid can see who has opted for what.

- The master looter can make sure everyone has 'opted' for the items they need to, and everything is taken care of. Loot is not distributed until the master looter hits a 'go' or 'accept' button.

- Each individual item would be randomly distributed (like need / greed) to the people who opted for it.

- People can change their mind and cancel their opt-in for an item before the master looter hits his accept button.

I described this idea to my raid group a while back, and the responce I got was "I wish we had that!". So please consider.

before OMG GO BACK TO WOW POST!!, back in the MC/BWL days i wrote an addon for the guild that i was in that did almost exactly this for our DKP system.

CurseForge ftw.

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/project-1830/

It used a system of tells. I didn't want to rely on having every one using the addon so i made it easy to use. non loot masters can use the addon and if they did the loot would pop up in exactly the way you describe. If they used the addon and wanted to bid on an item they could click it in the window. If they didn't use the item, they would send a tell with the item name in it.

What's the plan currently?

WoW is changing their LFR difficulty looting to give something usable from the boss's loot table to everyone who rolls high enough, regardless of what other people roll. Of course since LFR in WoW is cross-server it's much easier for players to escape any loot drama back to their own server. So I'm really anxious to hear how SWTOR is going to improve on WoW's version with the no-cross-server-LFR restriction in place.

• The boss dies.
  • Each player has a chance to win loot, independent of the other players.
  • For each player who wins loot, the game randomly assigns them a spec-appropriate item from that boss’s loot table. This subset contains only items that the game (meaning the designers in this case) thinks are appropriate for your class and current spec.
  • Notice that you aren’t rolling Need or Greed. You don’t have an option to Pass. The game just says “Take this.”
  • You can’t trade this item, or that would defeat the purpose of removing the social pressure on groups of strangers. If you don’t want the item, you are free to vendor, delete, or disenchant it.

Just to clarify your post.

I put in bold the most important difference between the way TOR does it, and the way WoW will do it.

Good news! We announced at the Guild Summit that we're removing this "pre-destined loot" system from Story difficulty in Game Update 1.2.

Why don't you leave the system as it is and instead make this loot tradeable for a time for anyone who was involved in the raid.This option seems to make more sense.In fact it should be this way for any group that kills mobs that could possible have BOP items on them incase someone accidently rolls need and wins the BOP item they can trade it off to a player in the group who was also involved in the kill that can use it/should have gotten it.Call me crazy but it makes sense.

And one other thing, when a mob is looted please have popups for all the items that the mob has only showing to boxes on the screen to roll for kinda sucks show more or do like someone esle posted above that had the better idea for master loot.

Edited by skeeterslint

WoW is changing their LFR difficulty looting to give something usable from the boss's loot table to everyone who rolls high enough, regardless of what other people roll.

It is the fist time I hear of this "assigned loot" removal, I thought I was following 1.2 closely lol.

It is also the first time I hear this about WoW (not playing it any more)

I was slightly concerned by the fact that now even MMO games hand out Participant trophies. You humans are a weak species

Why don't you leave the system as it is and instead make this loot tradeable for a time for anyone who was involved in the raid.

This.

Simple and effective. It also allows BW to devote time to actually producing a good game rather than using it to design systems to counter playerbase idiocy and satisfy their sense of entitledness.

Edited by Urkanan

Why don't you leave the system as it is and instead make this loot tradeable for a time for anyone who was involved in the raid.

Making the loot tradable opens a door for some very nasty bullying. "Give that item to our guild member or you're kicked out of the raid and blacklisted from all future raids with our guild".

@BlackMink: what's the problem with Master Looter? We've never had any issue with it, ever. Have we just gotten lucky or...?

Every time we've tried to use it, it has bugged out a loot item here and there. The master looter tries to send an item to the person who won the /roll, but it just permanently stays on the corpse or in the chest. This has happened to us both before and after they supposedly 'fixed' master looter. We have lost important Rakata drops that people needed thanks to this broken master looter system. And the CS were unwilling or unable to help.

And no, the master looter system I described is not just a different interface, it's an interface that appears for everyone in the raid. One of the current flaws with Master looter is ONLY the master looter gets to see what dropped, and then has to slowly link each piece and have people /roll for it one at a time. It's combersome and time consuming.

The master looter system I proposed before will allow everyone to see just what dropped, up front. And it will allow everyone to see who has opted for (needing) on each item, before it's actually distributed. This is essentially idiot proofing.

Sometimes people don't roll on the things they should be (ex. an Agent passes on the rakata off-hand item because the icon looks like a pistol.)

Other times for whatever reason, people roll need on items they shouldn't have. Effectively ninjaing the item. Wether this is intentional or a mistake, there is no way to cancel your choice once the button has been hit. My idea for a master looter system would allow us to double check everyone's rolls, before finalizing the loot distribution.

Yet another problem with the current loot systems is not seeing everything that drops. With Need/Greed only two items appear on your screen at a time. It sucks to see your Rakata drop, roll need on it, then find out later that a second one also dropped. Now what do you do for that second roll when you have no idea if you've won that first one or not?

Not only would my loot system be idiot proof, it would work a whole lot faster and be more user friendly than the current link and /roll master looter system.

Edited by BlackMink

Sounds more like an issue for PUGs than guild runs.

We use ML, link the item and ask who needs it. If multiple do, we'll do a /roll and the highest roll gets the loot. I fail to see an issue here.

Of course, if the person that you are trying to give the loot to is too far away it stays on the corpse/chest. I usually have to tell them to get closer to me and there isn't an issue.

Okay my guildies and I have had issues with the "auto-assigned loot" in Operations.

1.) No matter what "Looting" setting we use it's "auto assigned" which we really have no problem with except it's assigning loot to players who can't use it and it's BOP while thier are players who could actually use the item so we are unable to trade / assign the loot correctly.

2.) we keep comming across Loot chests that have made the assignments but we are unable to pick-up Loot at all having to move on without taking the Loot.

We have sent in numerous tickets with accurate info ( time/date/operation/chest location..etc. ) with the standard "thankyou for your input - it has been directed to the appropriate department for review, unfortunately we won't be able to respond further, Blah Blah Blah " messages you get on just about all tickets so they can be closed.

How many others have had this issue and has anyone heard anything positive about a fix and/or players recieving the lost loot ? Now never recieving the loot is not an issue as much as a "fix" being installed. It's I guess more of game experience thing.

If this has been posted on earlier I appologize for being repedative but with all the stuff in the Forums these days and a pretty un-functional search engine I figured this is the best way to get a response... thx

We get the same problems with Master Loot. Leader assigns loot, system says loot has been given to X, but sometimes the loot never shows up in their inventory. You can confirm this bug by watching to see if...

"Loot has been given to X"

"X has received Loot"

if both those do not come up, then the person never got the item. It happened 3 times in one SOA run.

Dungeons and Dragons Online has a really nice solution to this looting problem. Essentially, loot is pre-assigned. However, the owner has the option to RE-ASSIGN the loot while it's still in the chest.

So the owner is free to auction up his loot, or reassign it to a guildie in need, or just pick up the loot for himself. No need/greed roll spam.

Maybe the system could be augmented a little bit for SWTOR. Instead of just allowing reassignment to someone, allow the owner to also put the item up for "roll by everyone" or "roll by class".

Thank you illgot for confirming that problem. I know my raid group can't be the only ones having serious issues with master looter bugging out loot.

We just keep it on Need / Greed. It's not a perfect solution, for reasons I have also explained here, but at least items aren't getting lost.

Edited by BlackMink

Pre-destined loot wasn't the problem. Not being able to pass was.

Making the loot tradable opens a door for some very nasty bullying. "Give that item to our guild member or you're kicked out of the raid and blacklisted from all future raids with our guild".

Well those sound like the kind of people that you don't really wanna raid with anyway.Think of this if they remove the system all togther whats to stop them from using the master loot system in the same way only assigning loot to guild members and leaving the pickups out in the cold.