WHY did Bioware nerf the companions so much?

Slowpokeking

How about just learning how to handle your class?

SERIOUSLY?

Who are you to judge me about handling my class?

Who are you to care about how others play the game?

Who are you to think others don't know how to play their classes?

Who are you?

Are you the game's designer?

If you want to play a game where you only have to fart so the opponent falls over, then play another game. There are games, all you have to do is press a button and the fight ends automatically. :rolleyes:

If you want to play a hardcore game there are tons of other choices as well. WHY didn't you go for it?

Who are you to tell others how to play?

Good MMO gives every player their ways to enjoy the game. Who are you to stop others?

I don't understand the problem. Not really. Your just have to take care a little bit more than before. The red circles are evil ones, your should always have known. Also that you should not pull everything is clear.

That should be basic requirements, even someone who has never played realizes that at some point. :rolleyes:

So what's the problem?

Is it because the companion does not flatten everything while you're sitting on the loo.

So, here I'll jump out, otherwise I'll say something for what I could be banned.

Again, who are you to teach others how to play? Different ppl have different style of game. Many ppl got tired of real life and just want to have some fun and it causes no harm to others.

Who are you to take out their fun? This is why elitists' faces are so ugly.

Edited by Slowpokeking

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heroics are for Heroes.

Vet FPs are for Veterans

none of these are meant to be easily done solo

Not really, most of the heroics were basically solo now.

It was meant to be hard in vanilla for low level players, it's mostly grind now because otherwise there will be few ppl doing it.

I used to enjoy passing my old armor to my companions.

There wasn't anything wrong with companions having on skill set and being limited to tank/dps, healer/dps or just dps. Or having different gathering and crafting skills.

HK-51 was equinie in it had two primary attributes instead of one.

Treek was the beast healer. Then they changed companions and screwned all the people who bought Treek.

Somewhere along they line they brook HK-51 and Treek so they don't gain levels from conversations.

Having companions actually go down in affection if they didn't like your choices gave your choices consequences. I remember really making Corso mad by noting giving him his blasters. If wanted the lost affection back you just bought some gifts. Then they changed it to Influence and made all the attempts to get companions to 10 affection meaningess since they raised the influence cap to 50.

Regarding the thread title, there was a post by Eric (I think it was Eric) describing the change as not a "nerf" but rather altering the CD on the companions. Regardless of how they wanted to sell it, the end result is that it nerfed how companions work.

Regarding the game and how "easy" it's been, I've played since the start of the game.

Even at the start, when you had to keep your companions geared, it was never "HARD"

During the first couple of years I think the one PVE fight I had fun doing the class story for my Sorc on Corellia healing Khem. He aggro'd WAY too many mobs and I had to do more than just keep him healed up.

For someone who didn't really know how to play the different classes, it was fun, and exciting and 100% NOT how I want my normal game play.

I WANT to be able to "face roll" the story. If I'm playing just to see the story, I don't want to have to think about much. I want to watch the movie that tells the story of my character and the combat just gets in the way. I could so that via youtube and it would almost be the same thing.

Bioware fed into that desire with making the companions OP

Bioware fed into that desire by making many flashpoints have a story mode with the "god droid" that you had as a 2nd companion.

Now the pendulum is swinging back the other way.

They even nerfed how the "god droid" works in groups...that seemed to go pretty much unnoticed by these forums.

You USED to be able to call a god droid if you were grouped in the story mode for a SM flashpoint. Everyone could. You had 4 players, you could have 4 GDs

Now only the instance owner can call the GD...well, I haven't tested since 6.0, so I don't know if it's the same.

Bottom line, OP, we had the game on super easy mode for a few years.

If it bothers you that much, it's time to take a break. Unsub for awhile.

I remember people would unsub around expansions and radical changes for months while the devs worked out the bugs because they didn't want to deal with the bugs and uncertainty.

I am beginning to think that's not a bad way to go.

Edited by Darev

What do you mean intended? Good games all offer freedom

Please name one MMO where you can get through content by doing... whatever it is you are doing that apparently isn't enough to survive solo content in SWTOR. Because I'm struggling to think of any. WoW? Nuh, there is plenty of difficult content, that game isn't solo friendly at all. Even in low level zones you can get your teeth smashed in sometimes thanks to level sync. ESO? Easier, but still more difficult than SWTOR in its current state. Neverwinter? Haven't played it in long while, but I don't recall it being this easy. So what are you basing your idea of a good game (MMO game, mind) on, exactly?

Then enjoy your current play, you have your option to do so, why being lazy?

I am enjoying it right now, thank you very much. You are the one complaining about how things are at the moment.

Edited by Yria

They are, some of them weren't because the lack of resources to fix.

It was, which is why it further got easier for this reason.

You're just making that up because it suits your bias. And furthermore new FPs have also seen a clear increase in difficulty compared to the previous ones and that's not because of a lack of resources. You're clutching at straws here and the reason why is clear.

Yes, still avoiding the question.

I already answered the question. If you keep ignoring my answers that's not my fault.

Please name one MMO where you can get through content by doing... whatever it is you are doing that apparently isn't enough to survive solo content in SWTOR. Because I'm struggling to think of any. WoW? Nuh, there is plenty of difficult content, that game isn't solo friendly at all. Even in low level zones you can get your teeth smashed in sometimes thanks to level sync. ESO? Easier, but still more difficult than SWTOR in its current state. Neverwinter? Haven't played it in long while, but I don't recall it being this easy. So what are you basing your idea of a good game (MMO game, mind) on, exactly?

Why does it matter to you? Good MMO let all kind of ppl have their fun. You have your challenging content and totally free to make it difficulty with your own choice.

I play SWTOR because it gives us a lot of freedom to solo content. And I hate the level sync to all the ops, few games keep that old ops still up to hardcore players. It's not like casual players are the only one having benefit.

I am enjoying it right now, thank you very much. You are the one complaining about how things are at the moment.

Because I don't have a choice like you. I just beat the boss but I don't think it should have been what story mode fp is about.

Heroics are for Heroes.

Vet FPs are for Veterans

none of these are meant to be easily done solo

To further specify:

Heroics are 2+ and therefore are intended for groups of 2 or more. Normal quests are not marked for 2+ but are intended for you and your companion, so no, the 2 is not you and your companion but 2 players. Otherwise why mark them as 2+?

Veteran FPs are not for Veterans but is the easy mode for groups. It was called tactical mode. Tactical mode was based on Story Mode FPs that were made role-neutral. However, that definition is shaky at best because not all FPs are as easily done with a healer for example and you don't want a group with 2 healers for example because it takes too long.

Bottom line is that the naming of modes or difficulties is a complete mess in SWTOR. That's part of the problem.

But you are quite right that neither is intended to be easy solo, although I do find Heroics easy personally but I can understand not everybody feels that way.

You're just making that up because it suits your bias. And furthermore new FPs have also seen a clear increase in difficulty compared to the previous ones and that's not because of a lack of resources. You're clutching at straws here and the reason why is clear.

No, that's what story mode is always about, there was no difficulty levels in MMO at first, it existed to let casual players enjoy it.

Not really other than the bonus boss, the rest are even easier than most of the other bosses, especially the Nathema fp could provide some difficulty.

I already answered the question. If you keep ignoring my answers that's not my fault.

Where? Why does it matter to you at all? You have your choice to do your content.

Edited by Slowpokeking

To further specify:

Heroics are 2+ and therefore are intended for groups of 2 or more. Normal quests are not marked for 2+ but are intended for you and your companion, so no, the 2 is not you and your companion but 2 players. Otherwise why mark them as 2+?

They WERE intended for groups, when majority of the ppl were still leveling. But now it's entirely different. Most of the ppl are done with those old planets, if you make them difficult they won't do it anymore. Such as the Sector X one.

And they do ENCOURAGE PPL to group up by offering more rewards.

No, that's what story mode is always about, there was no difficulty in MMO at first, it existed to let casual players enjoy it

Now you are flat out lying. Leveling through this game was a LOT harder in vanilla. People cried at some of the class story bosses because some of them were actually hard and you had to learn how to beat them.

That's changed but this MMO was a lot harder with regards to leveling content than it is now. Companions could not switch roles by the way and healing comps were a lot worse than they are now. So I will call you Jon Snow.

Now you are flat out lying. Leveling through this game was a LOT harder in vanilla. People cried at some of the class story bosses because some of them were actually hard and you had to learn how to beat them.

That's changed but this MMO was a lot harder with regards to leveling content than it is now. Companions could not switch roles by the way and healing comps were a lot worse than they are now. So I will call you Jon Snow.

I was talking about difficulty leveling, there was no such thing in the beginning, ppl could only become hardcore raiders to experience those contents.

True, I've been through all the Empire classes, some were really tough, which is WHY they were tuned DOWN. And like other MMO, it's not mainly because the mechanic, but lack of powerful class skills, bad talent tree and the outdated gear system as well. It's been much easier because the overall class strength, balance, gearing system and companion has all been greatly improved. You failed to see it.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Also, learning how to beat a boss, regardless in solo, fp or ops has little to do with how to know your class, but how to use the skills against the enemy. Like CC is very useful in solo and fp but useless in ops.

This pretty much sums it up. All the changes have done is introduced bugs and made the game more of a grind. Grind does not equate to "fun".

I still preferred the game prior to level sync, if you wanted an OP companion you had to gear that companion accordingly. Equally said, levelling actually meant something more than just gaining a few more stats and new gear to play the latest content, you could revisit older parts of the game and actually play around a bit without too much concern and work on achievements or just explore without low level mobs becoming a constant pain in the backside.

Exactly. This is the only MMO I know of that constantly makes earlier content hard again. The entire point of getting more powerful is to be able to go back and stomp early content you missed going through - otherwise the entire gearing and leveling system is totally pointless.

Exactly. This is the only MMO I know of that constantly makes earlier content hard again. The entire point of getting more powerful is to be able to go back and stomp early content you missed going through - otherwise the entire gearing and leveling system is totally pointless.

Yes, it was pointless to do so other than making both sides unhappy.

What I HATE the most about this game is that as casuals, we can't experience these old content with ease anymore. And if I was a hardcore raider, I would only want new content to challenge, not some years old ancient stuff to keep the "pride".

Edited by Slowpokeking

They WERE intended for groups, when majority of the ppl were still leveling. But now it's entirely different. Most of the ppl are done with those old planets, if you make them difficult they won't do it anymore. Such as the Sector X one.

And they do ENCOURAGE PPL to group up by offering more rewards.

how do you know what MOST people do in this game? I do mostly vanilla planets. If the heroics are made faceroll again on those planets, I won't play anymore.

Your problem is you assume YOU are an average casual player in this game, therefore you think the game should be made exactly as you like it. Well guess what, there are all kinds of casual players in this game, and only BW (hopefully) know what kind of players represent the majority and is their target audience to cater to.

Also, learning how to beat a boss, regardless in solo, fp or ops has little to do with how to know your class, but how to use the skills against the enemy. Like CC is very useful in solo and fp but useless in ops.

What does this have to do with anything? You are making absolutely zero sense.

Let me simplify, maybe that works:

Leveling is considered solo content

Leveling in vanilla was harder than in 6.0

Companions in vanilla were worse than in 6.0 especially the healer comps

So when you say this MMO was never hard with regards to solo content you are not telling the truth.

how do you know what MOST people do in this game? I do mostly vanilla planets. If the heroics are made faceroll again on those planets, I won't play anymore.

Your problem is you assume YOU are an average casual player in this game, therefore you think the game should be made exactly as you like it. Well guess what, there are all kinds of casual players in this game, and only BW (hopefully) know what kind of players represent the majority and is their target audience to cater to.

Your assuming YOU are.

With HM chapters etc there was already challenging content for casuals who wanted such.

There are zero options now for casuals who DON'T want this.

Edited by Suzsi

I do by seeing what happened before 3.0 and did you see how deadly it was in Section X where ppl asked to change the heroics? That's how MMO works. If you don't make new content, ppl leave. If they are still hard, then nobody would do them anymore.

What are you talking about? The heroics are not facerolls, they were buffed up for top level players to do, before that they were easy stomps once you get 8-9 levels higher.

What does this have to do with anything? You are making absolutely zero sense.

Let me simplify, maybe that works:

Leveling is considered solo content

Leveling in vanilla was harder than in 6.0

Companions in vanilla were worse than in 6.0 especially the healer comps

So when you say this MMO was never hard with regards to solo content you are not telling the truth.

I didn't say MMO was never hard, I said MMO once doesn't have difficulty levels to choose.

I didn't say MMO was never hard, I said MMO once doesn't have difficulty levels to choose.

Ah I see I misread your post. That's my mistake.

So no there were and are no difficutly levels in the vanilla story, but that's story content and it was harder and the companions were not as good as they are now.

But the vanilla story is one of the things I enjoy the most about this game and I was saddened when they made it so easy in 4.0 and in 5.0 and now the companions are tuned down a bit but are still a lot better than before. So really, when it comes to vanilla story content, you have no reason to complain.

So that's content that interests me. What about you? Are you finally going to come clean and tell us which content you are talking about exactly?

Here are my personal feelings:

1. I haven't had problems with normal Story Mode content at all. I enjoy the increased difficulty in these instances and story leveling planets. Bosses from your class story still die very, very quickly (The major story bosses should be a tad more difficult I think, merely the difficulty of a gold mob, for example, nothing extreme). This is both on toons with a lvl 50 comp and others with level 10 comps.

2. Heroic 2+'s and Heroic 4+'s were specifically retuned by the devs to be soloable for a single player with a high comp and decent performance of their class. This was done to allow players to run this content without requiring a group. After all, groups RARELY form for any of these missions. This was the case since LONG, LONG AGO. Hardly anyone ever grouped up for these missions starting at least 4 years ago or more.

3. Most Heroic 2's are fine for characters who are leveling up AND WHO HAVE LEGACY PERKS. This last part is important, because the buffs from having all 4 classes make a big difference, and so do the Unity and Heroic Moment utilities. This fact may be one reason for the difference in difficulty perception between long-time players and newer players.

4. There are some H4's that are no longer realistically solo-able, unless you happen to be a stealth character. I have heard that some H2's are also very, very hard to solo EVEN WITH A LVL 50 Comp, which is a problem. Getting a companion to level 50 should not used as the baseline for balancing content. Players with a level 10 comp should struggle. Players with a level 50 comp should have a relatively easy time soloing things. Otherwise, why the heck should I level my comp if I'm still going to be unable to solo the content I want?

5. Personally, I don't think (at this time) Veteran flashpoints should be soloable. There's no reason to run them by yourself, other than wanting better rewards than SM version. There are plenty of opportunities to run this content with other players, and there's SM, so please don't complain about difficulty when it comes to soloing VM FPs.

6. Many Story Uprisings are no longer soloable, even with a lvel 50 comp. This is unacceptable, personally, because it's almost impossible to get a group for many of these. Story mode should be balanced as before, so a lvl 50 comp makes it easy to get through these without issues. Vet Uprisings and MM Uprisings should require a group, and they should offer better rewards to incentivize running them.

7. The Eternal Championship can no longer be soloed at the appropriate level, even with a level 50 comp. The entire purpose of this type of content is to be able to solo it, which is no longer possible. At max level, it is doable but much more difficult than before. I'm fairly confident that the speed feat is now impossible for most players to obtain.

8. Star Fortresses 2+ are no longer soloable in most cases (depends on whether toon has stealth and which boss you face at the end). This is another type of content that is not available to run unless you run it solo.

9. I haven't run through VM chapters and MM chapters of KOTET or KOTFE yet, but that's my plan this coming week. I'll let you know how it goes. Again, remember this is content designed to be SOLOed. A player with a lvel 50 comp and good knowledge of class/defensives should be able to complete it, yes? Are we all on the same page there?

Your assuming YOU are.

With HM chapters etc there was already challenging content for casuals who wanted such.

There are zero options now for casuals who DON'T want this.

This.

And as it is now, it's not even really harder (well at least where it's not completely broken, looking at you stupid walkers), it just takes longer, and the fighting system in this game is already absolutely not fun to me, so being forced through more fight that take longer is just plain boring.

I really wish all classes had at least 1 advanced class with stealth, that would already help with avoiding 90% of the useless mob fights.

Edited by Goreshaga