is artifice too powerful?

dovid-r

I don't know if any of you have noticed that a lot of custom-built and elegant-modified lightsabers come with artifact-level hilt, enhancement, and color crystal (BTW, I started that trend, *takes bow* *catches rose with teeth*), but I got to thinking-does Bioware need to nerf artifice? it could put a significant damper on other crafting skills if new players just craft these sabers this way and sell them for 100k apeice, or even 25k apeice. Any thoughts on this would be well appreciated.

I don't know if any of you have noticed that a lot of custom-built and elegant-modified lightsabers come with artifact-level hilt, enhancement, and color crystal

Has the PTS 2.0 changed them to be that way? Because otherwise I have no idea what you are talking about.

Well, from experience from crafters, they really don't care about other players or the server community, they just care about their greed, they are like mercenaries, they SEVERELY overcharge for their services.

Paying 20k for a level 29 armoring is NOT a good deal.

I suggest the crafters actually craft everything and sell at a REASONABLE price, it is surprising how much more profit you will make if you set your crafted items at reasonable and fair prices.

I have decided from my experience today to just stick to pure green quality gear, anything higher pre-50 is a waste of credits, until crafters learn to not be greedy.

Edited by JamieKirby

Well, from experience from crafters, they really don't care about other players or the server community, they just care about their greed, they are like mercenaries, they SEVERELY overcharge for their services.

I suggest the crafters actually craft everything and sell at a REASONABLE price, it is surprising how much more profit you will make if you set your crafted items at reasonable and fair prices.

I have decided from my experience today to just stick to pure green quality gear, anything higher pre-50 is a waste of credits, until crafters learn to not be greedy.

Umm, stop being cheap? 20k for a level 29 purple armoring is reasonable (a 50 pulls 20k out of their stool), considering the fact that the market for mid-level resources (critical mission-proc parts, in particular) is very inconsistent. Supply is very limited, demand is high, cargo space is, technically, money, too.

Can't make profit with "reasonable" (by your standards, as it would seem), prices. Not while actually playing and gearing the character (let alone multiple characters at 50) - paying for repairs, consumables, augmenting shells, buying high-grade mods to optimize their gear. I definitely don't want to be spinning wheels in the mud, and I definitely want money to unlock high-grade endgame armorings, barrels, mods, enhancements, hilts, etc, etc. More crafters with high-grade schematics=more competition. More competition=better for the client and the community.

Edited by Helig

A purple lvl 29 armoring is a luxury. How cheap should luxuries be ?

20k is perfectly fine for an armoring. Takes 4 purples to make it. I don't think you're supposed to have all purples while leveling. If you want, gotta pay for that.

I, for one, didn't bother with purples while leveling except for mainhand and offhand, because the higher the rating is, the higher the bonus to force/tech power is.

I'm gonna go off of memory here, so I may be a tad off of the particulars, but the premise will be the same nonetheless.....

A level 29 (we're talking player level here) purple armoring takes 4 underworld trading metals to make, along with some flux, and some scavenging mats. The 4 underworld metals (krayt dragon scales at that level if I recall correctly) sell for up to 10,000 credits a piece on my server. So, why would a crafted item that uses (not counting scavenging mats) 40,000 credits worth of mats be priced lower than 40,000 credits....or lower than the 20,000 credits you propose?

With such a high opportunity cost for the crafter to even MAKE the item in question here, I would feel lucky if I were you that there are even items available that use those underworld metals. Most people would just sell the raw mats and make twice what you think you should be paying for the crafted item. It's mind blowing to me, just mind blowing.

If you think that crafters, specifiaclly cybertechs, are ripping you off....I suggest YOU roll a toon with cybertech (and the suggested supporting crew skills) and see what it's like to craft. Let us know how much it costs you to gather the necessary mats, after leveling the crew skill to do so. Let us know how much it costs to level your underworld trading to even have the remote chance of having a metal mission available to even ATTEMPT to crit on so as to proc a purple metal, then let us know how much it costs to run those missions until you get enough purple underworld trading metals to even craft a purple......this is , of course, after you've spent countless stacks of scavenging mats and blue grade underworld trading metals in the reverse engineering process to even discover the schematic for a purple grade item.

Let us know how it goes.....and then tell us how you plan to recoup those costs. Then tell us how you think it would be better to sell a crafted time at half the price of what the raw mats would sell for....I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that one btw.

#anxiouslyawaitingeducation

Edited by Mozivicus

I'm gonna go off of memory here, so I may be a tad off of the particulars, but the premise will be the same nonetheless.....

A level 29 (we're talking player level here) purple armoring takes 4 underworld trading metals to make, along with some flux, and some scavenging mats. The 4 underworld metals (krayt dragon scales at that level if I recall correctly) sell for up to 10,000 credits a piece on my server. So, why would a crafted item that uses (not counting scavenging mats) 40,000 credits worth of mats be priced lower than 40,000 credits....or lower than the 20,000 credits you propose?

With such a high opportunity cost for the crafter to even MAKE the item in question here, I would feel lucky if I were you that there are even items available that use those underworld metals. Most people would just sell the raw mats and make twice what you think you should be paying for the crafted item. It's mind blowing to me, just mind blowing.

If you think that crafters, specifiaclly cybertechs, are ripping you off....I suggest YOU roll a toon with cybertech (and the suggested supporting crew skills) and see what it's like to craft. Let us know how much it costs you to gather the necessary mats, after leveling the crew skill to do so. Let us know how much it costs to level your underworld trading to even have the remote chance of having a metal mission available to even ATTEMPT to crit on so as to proc a purple metal, then let us know how much it costs to run those missions until you get enough purple underworld trading metals to even craft a purple......this is , of course, after you've spent countless stacks of scavenging mats and blue grade underworld trading metals in the reverse engineering process to even discover the schematic for a purple grade item.

Let us know how it goes.....and then tell us how you plan to recoup those costs. Then tell us how you think it would be better to sell a crafted time at half the price of what the raw mats would sell for....I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that one btw.

#anxiouslyawaitingeducation

Your long post will be wasted on him, because if the prices were so ridiculous that he could make a ton of money he would have cybertech to make millions of credits a day.

Several people have already jumped all over your post, but I wanted to add my 2 cents to the mix.

You should first try to craft purple items yourself before being convinced of some capitalist plot to steal all your credits.

Making purple gear is time consuming and vastly expensive as a crafter. How many times did someone gather mats, craft blues, and RE and either get no result or not the result they were aiming for? Not to mention how many times did someone run blue materials missions just for a small chance to get purple mats?

You should try walking a mile in someone's shoes before making judgement calls as to their character.

you guys are missing the point here. I'll restate it again for emphasis.

artifice can craft, among other things:

custom built/elegant modified lightsabers

hilts

enhancements

color crystals

assuming you don't have an augmented custom build/elegant modified lightsaber, these make up 3/4 of the slots on the LS, allowing new f2ps to craft nearly ready-to-use lightsabers with just one crafting skill.

My question: Does Bioware need to give, for example, the ability to craft enhancements to another crew skill? Biochem, perhaps? That's what this thread is for, not to ***** about prices of purple armorings or nothing like that.

hilts

enhancements

color crystals

assuming you don't have an augmented custom build/elegant modified lightsaber, these make up 3/4 of the slots on the LS, allowing new f2ps to craft nearly ready-to-use lightsabers with just one crafting skill.

My question: Does Bioware need to give, for example, the ability to craft enhancements to another crew skill? Biochem, perhaps? That's what this thread is for, not to ***** about prices of purple armorings or nothing like that.

You make a good point.

But I think it's important to recognize that lightsaber wielders all start their AC with moddable orange lightsabers. So crafting them would be mainly for looks or for companions.

Also, from a leveling perspective, I found that Cybertech was more useful than artifice. If you have all 9 pieces of moddable gear, plus earpiece and implant, you have a potential of (for a Sentinel):

1 earpiece

2 implants

2 hilts

2 crystals

7 armoring

9 mods

7 enhancements

Cybertech can craft 17 out of 30 of the possible upgrade slots, as compared to 11 from artifice. From this perspective, I don't think that artifice is too powerful in terms of crafting leveling gear.

Also consider that one of the slots for Artificing equipment, color crystals, sees a lot of competition from in-game drops and Cartel Market stuff. Most long time players turn to the dual-color crystals for twinking their alts, and there really isn't much of an endgame crafting crystal market to speak of since once you've got a +41 crystal, you're set in terms of stats.

Every time I check the hilt leveling market, it is flooded with hilts listed at recommended GTN price. I suppose purple-quality hilts still sell well, but why bother when you can buy a blue-quality hilt for a pittance?

On the other hand, enhancements are a much more flexible item than armorings or mods - because they don't carry a main stat, you can theoretically sell a bunch of the same type of enhancement to all 4 base classes. This makes playing the market a lot simpler and a lot safer with enhancements, in my opinion.

At the moment, I'd like to see the Artifice crafting skill get a little buff. More competitive color crystal crafting options, perhaps the ability to craft leveling relics. It definitely just got a huge bonus from the Gree event - once more people reach Champion standing with the Gree and pick up the Bind on Legacy sabers, we'll start seeing a lot more endgame hilts on the market. However, based on what I've seen of endgame crafting, I expect this flexibility will drive prices down and nerf the advantages of having an Artificer main.

So tl;dr - I don't think Artificing is overpowered, but it does provide unique market advantages to those who know how to make the most of them.

All AC start with an orange piece, so the custom built ligsaber is just for the look.

Color crystals will always lose vs cartel crystals when levelling

Enhancements are very versatile because they lack main stat, but still, they go in 7 slots only

Hilts will only be useful for one slot (2 for sents/maras)

Cybertech is a lot better as a crew skill. You get earpieces (1 slot), armorings (8/7 slots) and mods (8 slots), not to mention spammable granades of various types. Cartel market orange adaptive armor pieces are incredibly cheap, expecially if you have a female character so the shells aren't even a factor

Cybertech is a lot better as a crew skill. You get earpieces (1 slot), armorings (8/7 slots) and mods (8 slots), not to mention spammable granades of various types. Cartel market orange adaptive armor pieces are incredibly cheap, expecially if you have a female character so the shells aren't even a factor

Also, for leveling, people would buy the armoring wtih creds and save the planet commendations for mods/enhancements since the armoring costs 7 comms as opposed to 2. Much more efficient. Artifice loses more to those vendors (yes, hilts cost 7 comms, but you only need 1 or 2 )

hilts

enhancements

color crystals

vs. the synthweaver that crafts custom armor for what...8 of your slots...and puts augment slots and artifact enhancements?

it evens out in the end imo.

Uh no. Just because a crafting skill is actually worth it does not mean it needs nerfing. If anything BW ought to look at improving armstech, armormech and synthweaving.

This thread is total nonsense.

This.

Edited by Asavrede

enchanments and hilts are really the only thing worth it for them to craft, the custom/elegant lightsabers are near worthless, You forgot to mention that they also craft off hand Focus, shields and generators, but I understand why with Bioware making all the dropped ones in game orange modible ones it killed that market, Color crystals Bioware slashed that market with Cartel crystals being end game that could be equipped at level 10, If anything they really need a buff to the crafting.