PVP Darkness Hybrid?

aZShiftyZa

I know they did some nerfs to make hybrids more difficult and somewhat unviable. I've been messing around a bit. Right now I'm a lvl 46 dual shock decep assassin and have been since day 1, I love deception but I wouldn't mind trying something new. I put this together to try to take as much PVP relevancy as I could. This is strictly for PVP with no end game PVE content being considered. What are you thoughts and critiques. I haven't tried it yet but the overall appearance to me looks pretty solid.

This is also assuming you're using dark charge as well, not lightning.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIrozbskZ0MZf0for.1

I think the reason I avoided that route was to avoid casting... With all the pvp atm basically being crowds, deathfield seems to do the most dmg as well as giving you a heal along with the self healing in the darkness tree. I know the debuff with wither is nice but for straight pvp dmg dealing it "seems" to me that deathfield is better. I know that you can get a no pushback force lightning but it can still be interrupted and with all the interrupts and knock backs in the game I'd imagine finding time to use that would be more situational than placing deathfield.

Any reason you put 2 points in duplicity instead of dark embrace?

its just wither brings more to the table then death field atm. Not only does wither now gives a proc for harnessed darkness (which makes getting 3 stacks super easy now) but it also does damage, slows the target down, and gives a debuff for damage to them.

I see no real reason to not get wither over death field if you put more points into darkness.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/sith_inquisitor/assassin/#::ef4efef6efef3efcefede10fef16ef2:

This is the way I play, I has no deathfield or wither, but has Harness darkness for some really good healing surviability, I give up wither to Gain dark embrace for some good force regen out of stealth and good single target dmg via the increased crit dmg from thrash.

Lots of single target dmg goodness while having great surviability. Deathfield is great but i find myself picking off singles rather than constantly running into groups where deathfield would be best. I like the advantage of having good single target ability.

i rly cannot count how many times i have interrupted people with death field while they try to plant bombs/capture turrets.

i run 24/0/17 and i survive a lot, protect a lot, dmg a lot (usually i top dmg charts) and also help with interrupting a lot. for me 30m>10m any day. thats why death field wins in my book. also it does internal dmg which is awesome against commandos/scoundrels who have high armor.

also harnessed darkness is unintutive as a melee in pvp you never want to cast a spell for 3 seconds. and the +crt dmg on thrash gives more single target dmg overall than harnessed darkness.

also whirlwind insta cast has saved me numerous times and helped me win 1v2 effortlessly. also let me cap turrets/plant bombs quite some times.

My current build

after all going 31 on darkness tree offers near to none survivability (apart from the heal of HD in 1v1) in contrast to my build.

also death field wins on illum "PVP"

27/1/13

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rcrokrskdZoZf0cRb.1

I have tried spec after spec in pvp. Generally I go from darkness to trying deception/madness then back to darkness. Deception and madness are disappointing every time.

Not having harnessed darkness basically makes force lightning useless for a sin.

Not having claws of decay makes thrash very weak and almost useless for the force cost.

Getting both leaves you with a great toolset.

Getting wither simply costs too many points that can go into very effective skills. Wither itself hits for about 1k at most in pvp and the speed debuff isn't as useful as simply using force slow.

Death field is not a spamming ability, it is a tool. When an enemy stealths, runs, roots, or when you need to just pop a long range target (or interrupt) you use it. I also use it as an opener if I'm running in on someone, but save it if already on them.

Harnessed darkness still works great without wither thanks to the new change that gives it a 30 second timer. You can use your thrash more since you have claws of decay and that procs energize more, letting you shock more frequently, letting you build harnessed darkness faster. HD still does the same thing, and honestly I find myself using it just as often as I did as a full darkness build.

Light targets get trashed fast... 2k+ thrash crits, 2.5k shocks, 2.5k death field, 6.5k HD FL.... even higher with relics and adrenals.

27/1/13

I have tried spec after spec in pvp. Generally I go from darkness to trying deception/madness then back to darkness. Deception and madness are disappointing every time.

Not having harnessed darkness basically makes force lightning useless for a sin.

Not having claws of decay makes thrash very weak and almost useless for the force cost.

Getting wither simply costs too many points that can go into very effective skills. Wither itself hits for about 1k at most in pvp and the speed debuff isn't as useful as simply using force slow.

Death field is not a spamming ability, it is a tool. When an enemy stealths, runs, roots, or when you need to just pop a long range target (or interrupt) you use it. I also use it as an opener if I'm running in on someone, but save it if already on them.

Harnessed darkness still works great without wither thanks to the new change that gives it a 30 second timer. You can use your thrash more since you have claws of decay and that procs energize more, letting you shock more frequently, letting you build harnessed darkness faster. HD still does the same thing, and honestly I find myself using it just as often as I did as a full darkness build.

Light targets get trashed fast... 2k+ thrash crits, 2.5k shocks, 2.5k death field, 6.5k HD FL.... even higher with relics and adrenals.

I do the same thing, but I have my last point in fanaticism rather than duplicity. I dont see the point in using maul at all with this build. I definitely use death field more than I ever would maul with this spec

27/1/13

This seems like a very nice spec DPS wise.

One question: you don't miss having Dark Embrace? For quick force regen after a fight?

Or is it better to spend that last point somewhere else (since you have Blood of the Sith anyway).

I'd personally go with dark embrace because you can open out of stealth and have nearly limitless Force for 6 seconds. Seriously, it regens so damn fast that you almost can't run out.

The first time I tried a hybrid build like this I was amazed at how much better I did than with a 31 darkness build.

This seems like a very nice spec DPS wise.

One question: you don't miss having Dark Embrace? For quick force regen after a fight?

Or is it better to spend that last point somewhere else (since you have Blood of the Sith anyway).

Not really.... for my style the spec works better for me. When I want to maul (somewhat rare) it is up and ready. 9/10 I don't even look for the proc, I just use it as needed and it is there.

Those few seconds of regen are nice but since you can't get the blackout skill once you are in a fight you get no benefit from it.

What about this? I believe it was mentioned already.

Thanks

I was going for something along these lines too.

I'm wondering though: how effective is Swelling Shadows? Compared to skills like Shroud of Darkness and Electric Execution?

Shroud of Darkness seems meh cause it's only 3% end boost. Electric Execution seems pretty nice though.

I was going for something along these lines too.

I'm wondering though: how effective is Swelling Shadows? Compared to skills like Shroud of Darkness and Electric Execution?

Shroud of Darkness seems meh cause it's only 3% end boost. Electric Execution seems pretty nice though.

With a spec like this u willl RARELY ever use discharge. In dark charge it just doesnt do enough dmg to make it worthwhile. I would move those points from swelling into 1% endurance and an extra 3% to spike/dart target dmg.

U literally spam shock and thrash until u get 3 HD charges and then pop FL.

Ive thought about sacing dark embrace for deathfield but without 2 in fanaticism, i still feel deathfield is too costly at the sacrifice of some unreal force regen coming outta stealth.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsMokrskrZZf0cRd.1

would be more optimal if u really want deathfield.

Edited by Pwnyride

What a toss-up between Dark Embrace and Death Field. I know Death Field can be quite good as a situational skill. But Dark Embrace has loads of value too, especially with 2 points in it.

As you said, DF might just be too costly without 2 points in Fantacism, making it more practical to forget about DF and just go 2/2 into Embrace.

Lol, I'll just try it all and pick what plays best for me. Thanks for all the info, really useful stuff.

And what about 22/19/0 Hybrid Darkness/Deception utility build?

I doesn't make much damage, but utility and survivability are supposed to be fine. And should I use Tank-PvP set or DD PvP set? Utility is the very thing that makes me happy about assassin.

I'm a 40lvl n00b atm.

Edited by ZakPreston

And what about 22/19/0 Hybrid Darkness/Deception utility build?

I doesn't make much damage, but utility and survivability are supposed to be fine. And should I use Tank-PvP set or DD PvP set? Utility is the very thing that makes me happy about assassin.

I'm a 40lvl n00b atm.

That is a god awful spec. Deception USED to be a good go into spec but they changed how induction works. With out induction it is pointless. I used to do pretty good damage with maul and such, but they nerfed it now Darkness/Madness build is the only viable way.

That is a god awful spec. Deception USED to be a good go into spec but they changed how induction works. With out induction it is pointless. I used to do pretty good damage with maul and such, but they nerfed it now Darkness/Madness build is the only viable way.

It isn't the only viable way... You're just playing deception wrong. I have played the 23/0/18(pre hybrid nerf), 27/2/12(best hyrid right now), and 2/31/8. All worked just fine if you know what you're doing. You just can't be as careless with your attacks and set up running full deception.

You're just playing deception wrong.

This is the DARKNESS Hybrid thread. I said the "go into spec" meaning after you get your main talents into DARKNESS, dont go into deception. I never said deception is bad. I have a guildie that is good with a deception build. I am saying as a DARKNESS hybrid, going to deception is not viable anymore.