Why wasn't an 'Engineer' Class never developed or conceived for this game?

JepFareborn

This game needs an 'Engineer' Class - Like Team Fortress Classic or Battlefield series had. Have the engineer build turrets, bridges, lay landmines, and create mechanical devices during OPs Raids or Flashpoints (for example). Edited by JepFareborn

This game needs an 'Engineer' Class - Like Team Fortress Classic or Battlefield series had. Have the engineer build turrets, bridges, lay landmines, and create mechanical devices during OPs Raids or Flashpoints (for example).

Maybe not a class but could do a new crew skill? That would be a good one :) But i do agree a new class for game would be awesome!

would have loved to see the Cybernetic crew skill able to create Cybernetic armor pieces similar to what is offered through the cartel market. like an armorsmith or synthweaver. To add, a beastmaster and droid engineer crew skill that can tame beasts for companions and craft droids for companions...similar to what is offered through ...the...yea...thats not going to happen as they toss them in the CM gamble packs.

so...never you mind this. goes the way of the shipwright crew skill i thought would have been a great addition for both the space rails and GSF portions of the game.

something that might be doable: halve the number of types of color crystals and set the spawn for these crystals across the planets. i have one legacy storage hold dedicated to pretty much just Artifice. AND, please, add one more slot to all weapons/offhands. call these slots "focusing lenses" take all of the color crystals currently in game and convert them to these lenses. then, convert all color crystals to just being color only. this way, you wont have to have four different color crystals per stat. and resist the urge to give those crystals some other stat. to stem the tide of folks upset about a perceived loss note: crystals will become lenses and ensure that the player receives a lens for each type of crystal is unlocked or that they have possession; give one color crystal for each type of, now, lens a character/legacy currently has unlocked unlocked; add lenses to either artifice or arm-smith ensuring that specialized crafting of lenses for both lightsabers and weapons goes to the right skill.

also, an engineer crew skill cold also be used to craft mounts--beastmastery for creature mounts and engineer for mechanical.

however, im sure all of this has been said before, but i had some free time.

would have loved to see the Cybernetic crew skill able to create Cybernetic armor pieces similar to what is offered through the cartel market. like an armorsmith or synthweaver. To add, a beastmaster and droid engineer crew skill that can tame beasts for companions and craft droids for companions...similar to what is offered through ...the...yea...thats not going to happen as they toss them in the CM gamble packs.

so...never you mind this. goes the way of the shipwright crew skill i thought would have been a great addition for both the space rails and GSF portions of the game.

something that might be doable: halve the number of types of color crystals and set the spawn for these crystals across the planets. i have one legacy storage hold dedicated to pretty much just Artifice. AND, please, add one more slot to all weapons/offhands. call these slots "focusing lenses" take all of the color crystals currently in game and convert them to these lenses. then, convert all color crystals to just being color only. this way, you wont have to have four different color crystals per stat. and resist the urge to give those crystals some other stat. to stem the tide of folks upset about a perceived loss note: crystals will become lenses and ensure that the player receives a lens for each type of crystal is unlocked or that they have possession; give one color crystal for each type of, now, lens a character/legacy currently has unlocked unlocked; add lenses to either artifice or arm-smith ensuring that specialized crafting of lenses for both lightsabers and weapons goes to the right skill.

also, an engineer crew skill cold also be used to craft mounts--beastmastery for creature mounts and engineer for mechanical.

however, im sure all of this has been said before, but i had some free time.

OP is talking about new class, not crew skills.

aye. i got that, but figured we would have better shot at crew skills than a new class. my view of classes was not what we received. instead, they would have been:

Jedi Sith

Commando(republic) Trooper(imperial)

Officer (republic) Agent (imperial)

Regulator (republic) Bounty Hunter (Imperial)

Smuggler (republic) Dealer (imperial)

adding some form of engineering class would have been great, too. their companions could have been comprised of droids that they built along with movable turrets, etc.

the crew skill set for engineering was something that might be easily implemented more so than a new class. however, i would love for them to add a new class to the game. or, taking galactic command in a new direction, offer some for of specialized class for each current...no, forget i said that.

Edited by Qouivandes

Cybertech is already the crew skill for crafting mounts, though they haven't added any new schematics in awhile.

Maybe not a class but could do a new crew skill? That would be a good one :) But i do agree a new class for game would be awesome!

That is why I don't like the engineer class, most games have crafting and making a crafter a class just adds odd issues.

If we had more spaceship content I could see that, but our ships stay on the rails without engineers :rolleyes:

I can see it now:

Vitiate: "You were my sole focus."

Engineer: "Really, I just fix stuff."

Oh man, can you imagine all the over the top dialog KotFE/ET had and replace our Outlanders with Fixer 12 from Imperial Intelligence? :D:D

Cybertech is already the crew skill for crafting mounts, though they haven't added any new schematics in awhile.

i know this, too. The last mounts they added to them were those crew skill themed mounts. i guess they felt they needed something after taking both droid parts and armor'ings away. rather wish i wouldnt have gotten rid of that on my sniper and kept him as cyber so i wouldnt have to relearn all those on the rails ship parts again.

regardless, sorry for half hijacking the thread. a retooling of crew skills would most likely result in more subs lost regardless of the outcome.

if done properly, an Engineer class would be interesting. We can be Engineer 12 of 16 Corellian Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-Five-Nine or CTA-1216-U059. for short? to think, just yesterday i was grease monkey on Corellia...today, thanks to my bearded benefactor, i rule the Galaxy...not a bad day and the benefits are great!

I'm not quite sure why or how engineer would be a class? A crew skill yes. But a class, no. It doesn't even fit with the theme of the game.

Heals (Medic), DPS (Infantry, Assault, Sniper), TANK (Heavy Support?)

Engineer . . . .

Clear it up, any?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/920407-battlefield-2/faqs/52497

Edited by JepFareborn

Maybe not a class but could do a new crew skill? That would be a good one :)

If OP is asking for an engineer class, he wants to lay turrets that deal meaningful damage, far outside of what would be acceptable for a crew skill to give. He wants a character that deals indirect damage with deployables and pets as a significant portion of his total character damage / heals / etc. That would require a class, not some addition.

Better said, why wasn't the game given a new class at all? All the other MMO's have added at least one new class, in Guild Wars 2 the Revenant, in WoW also something (not sure what as I don't play that game), in ESO the Warden... but SWTOR got no new classes. I do wonder why, probably resources and time but maybe Keith could answer this question?

I've always thought Knight of Zakuul would be an excellent class to add.

WoW has added the Death Knight, Monk, and Demon Hunter. FFXIV has added the Ninja, Astrologian, Dark Knight, Machinist, Red Mage, and Samurai.

Some of these classes have required minimal new animations. Others require an entire suite of class resources. WoW and SWTOR classes have specs that determine many of the moves and the roles: FFXIV characters don't have this customization at all. No one worries about White Mage dps except as it compares to other healers, for instance, because when you are a White Mage you are a healer, full stop.

From a game balance perspective, SWTOR has 8 classes with a total of 24 possible ways that they can play. From a design and animation perspective, SWTOR has 16 classes. This is a pretty powerful difference, and adds to the cost of adding a class.

If SWTOR was going to add new classes, their logical starting point would be to add advanced classes. This lets them reuse their existing story content and two of the eight base classes to accomplish that. Another fine idea would be to add specializations, such that each class has four instead of three. I have no idea when they will do it, though, if ever.

This game needs an 'Engineer' Class - Like Team Fortress Classic or Battlefield series had. Have the engineer build turrets, bridges, lay landmines, and create mechanical devices during OPs Raids or Flashpoints (for example).

STO has that class too. It's super fun, turrets, shields, grenades, drones.

Engineers are support. They can both DPS and heal the whole group a bit with their toys.

/signed

Edited by Tadagyt

Better said, why wasn't the game given a new class at all? All the other MMO's have added at least one new class, in Guild Wars 2 the Revenant, in WoW also something (not sure what as I don't play that game), in ESO the Warden... but SWTOR got no new classes. I do wonder why, probably resources and time but maybe Keith could answer this question?

I've always thought Knight of Zakuul would be an excellent class to add.

Exactly.

SWTOR is stuck on his way.

This game really needs something new. And no - im not talking about operations/flashpoints/house.

This game needs a new gameplay features. Which new CLASSES can provide.

This is Star Wars after all dammit!!!

This Universe is literally LIMITLESS!!!

So are the possibilities for the new classes!

If the devs main argument that they cannot afford new story for additional classes - there's always an option to make them Outlanders.

I think this is a good idea given the sheer amount of things that could be crafted --- healing, harvesting, and combat drones; turrets; furniture; ships; mounts; and ship mods.

I fear the game needs a new game overhaul to impliment such a thing however by reviewing and improving the game's overall crafting mechanic with crewskills.

No. The Non Force Using classes we already are already a huge blight on the game, adding more just makes the problem worse. Plus the "Engineer" class is always the most ruinous one because the concept makes no bloody sense. Especially in Guild Wars 2. The "turrets" that the engineer places are turrets that need to be hand cranked to work,but the Engineer doesn't hand crank them. They just place them and somehow the turret is hand cranked and aimed by absolutely nothing. That class ruins the game because it is so ridiculously stupid and such a violation of the setting.

No. The Non Force Using classes we already are already a huge blight on the game, adding more just makes the problem worse. Plus the "Engineer" class is always the most ruinous one because the concept makes no bloody sense. Especially in Guild Wars 2. The "turrets" that the engineer places are turrets that need to be hand cranked to work,but the Engineer doesn't hand crank them. They just place them and somehow the turret is hand cranked and aimed by absolutely nothing. That class ruins the game because it is so ridiculously stupid and such a violation of the setting.

No, they are not a blight on the game. Not everyone wants to play a Jedi or Sith and - in my opinion - this game would be pretty boring if that's all you saw running around. Also, in SWTOR, one would not have to hand crank a turret nor would one have to aim it. It would fire and aim itself because technology. This IS Star Wars, turrets like this are pretty much droids that do one thing and one thing only - fire a big gun.

The most likely reason BioWare won't make a new class like an Engineer is they are very unlikely to create new class stories for them so they'd have to fit them in with the current class stories. I could kinda see how Engineer might fit in with say Imperial Agent/Smuggler (maybe, kind of a stretch) but then, to keep things fair, they'd have to come up with another class for the existing archetypes that would fit into their class stories. That would be 3 new advanced classes to fit into 7 more stories. Then they'd either have to allow people to switch advanced classes or allow more character slots per server because some people have used up all of their character slots and don't want to delete (yes, these people exist) and they don't want to play on a new server. Then they'd have to balance these classes for PvE and PvP and do we really want them to do that?