2012 Events Feedback

DavidBass

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like the show not to be based in Austin, TX, which is not only in the middle freaking nowhere, but isn't located near any major distribution of population in the United States. Would it kill you, Bioware, to base this thing in NYC, or Boston, or Chicago or L.A.? Not everyone wants to spend 4 days in the middle of the armpit of America.

Uh, I'm not really that interested in new content as I am in you putting this half-baked MMO back in the oven and finishing it.

To whit:

Fix the light-saber melee classes.

Hey Blackfriar - while I appreciate your current concerns about game content, this isn't the thread to discuss it. (I would actually direct you to Georg's recent post about Sith Warriors and Jedi Knights, which may address some of your concerns. Even if it doesn't directly, it should reassure you that the team is looking at all classes.)

To address other comments about events vs fixing the game - not very constructive feedback, guys, and also unnecessary, because we're not prioritizing one over the other.

We have an entire team who work full-time on the development of the game client. Almost none of those people ever post on the Forums or visit events, and those who do are generally team leaders, who can leave the office without affecting the flow of development. (I can assure you asking a developer to leave is also always very carefully balanced against current deadlines. Many developers have missed shows because they're needed at the studio.)

The development team's job, all of the time, is to improve the game. Having events or shows doesn't stop them doing their job, or even impact it at all. It's also not a budget issue; event budgets do not impact anything on the development side.

It's also important to realize the importance of events to the general health and longevity of the game. Fixing bugs, adding new content and keeping the community informed are all very important to us, and get priority over going to events.

However, keeping the game in the public eye, meeting and interacting with the community and getting new people interested in the game are also very important to us. After all, I'm sure the majority of us want to see the game survive and prosper for a long time to come. Public events help that to happen - along with marketing initiatives, PR work and a host of other activities.

With all this in mind, I've got an easy request. We know people want bugs fixed in the game and we're addressing that - please do check the Dev Tracker to see a variety of posts in the last few days on those subjects. We're actively looking into bugs that are reported.

As such, don't post on that subject in this thread. If you're not interested in attending shows that's fine, but many people are, and this is where we'd like to see feedback from them. Thanks.

If you guys did something fun at PAX, I'd definitely support it.

1) We always want to here game news, so a QA panel following a nice "future of the game" panel would be a lot of fun. Last year there was a tournament for games that weren't even out yet, I'd love to play in a tournament, but I'd need to either get to use my character or have time to set my bindings.

2) As a player in the highend PVE center of the game, I'd love to see more info about the next Ops instances. I'd also love to hear anything to do with space combat. I'd say it might be a good idea to either split a PVP and PVE panel if you have the content.

3) Yes, I'd most likely go to this at an event :). The meet ups at blizzcons in the past were alot of fun.

All of those other cities already host a lot of cons. Austin is centrally located between both of their major gaming populations, as well as being their home base. You also must not know much about Austin if you think that it is an arm pit or the middle of nowhere. Austin is the live music capital of the world and hosts some of the biggest music, film, and tech festivals in the world. It is also nothing like the rest of Texas.

Problem is it's still Texas. I second the Baltimore idea

Would love to see some Q&As with the writers and quest designers, a Huttball tourney would be awesome, dev art is always fun as well as fan art, a Dev meet and greet(make sure you bring the music people because I need to thank them profusely).

If it was East Coast like NYC, DC/Baltimore, Charlotte, then yea I'd be all over it. West Coast no way. Austin as suggested in here, doubtful.

Forgot to add, please consider making the play time much shorter than it was at PAX East. Due to the number of people that wanted to play the game, those that did not get to the booth within the first three minutes of the floor opening could not play.

I know it is not possible to accommodate everyone who is interested, and while I enjoyed Taral V, it was a very long flashpoint. Warzones seem like a better alternative, though PvP is not for everyone. You could keep the standard say 4-8 machines for the Origin worlds, and have the rest for PvP or some other activity.

Without knowing what is coming down the line in say April, it is hard to speculate what the public would want to play and how many people you could get to play within a given time frame. For each event, if you have time and if the development cycle allows, it would be cool to put up a poll or thread (similar to this) and ask people what they would want to play.

Keeping in mind that the vast majority of those that attend conventions will not be on the forums and a good chunk may have never touched the game before. This is a challenge for any developer on balancing fun vs. how new people are to the game.

Another suggestion to add, if you keep the same type of two booth setup that you have had at previous conventions, it would be cool to see a developer run through every few hours. The team could assemble on the main stage (Fire code/hazard and space permitting) with laptops or stations, and display a run through of some warzone, operations, flashpoint, new world, etc. This keeps the main systems open for those that want to play, and gives the crowd and those waiting something to watch.

Edited by engrey

1.) either a PVP tournament and/or a special event raid

2.) new content and the possibility of an overhaul of the space combat controls (More like battlefront 2 plz kthanks)

3.) If you managed to come all the way to Gainesville florida for this? Hell to the yeah i would be there

The only "Shows" I attend are cons, and if any of the devs were there, I'd definitely go to the Panel. MegaCon (FL) and Dragon*Con (GA) are the 2 I generally attend. I would also be interested in attending stuff outside the show as mentioned.

Either that, or if you guys ever do something akin to "Blizzcon" and do a "BioWareCon", I'd try to attend if it were driving distance.

As for things I'd like to see there?

PvP Tournaments, World Boss type things, as well as hopefully a sneak peak of things to come. This of course, is in addition to Panels discussing current ongoings of the game.

1. What would you want to see at a show this year? (Examples might include PvP tournaments, Q&As at the booth, photo opportunities)
  2. What topics would you like to see covered on panels? Specific areas of the game? General roundtables with the developer team? Voice actors?
  3. If a show is in your area, would you be likely to attend a Community Meet & Greet outside the show itself?

1) I want people dressed up in outfits from the game. Preferably female bounty hunters wearing the slave girl outfit. I would also settle for the dancer outfit.

2) What the future holds. How they feel about the current state of the game. General stuff here.

3) Only if the outside venue serves alcoholic beverages :)

Hello all,

We have removed several posts from this thread for being off-topic.

Suggesting things you would like to see added to be improved upon ingame is awesome, we always appreciate your suggestions. However, we are looking for your thoughts and feedback on what you would like to see at conventions and get togethers, specifically:

With that in mind, we want to hear your thoughts. To get you started, here are some questions we’d love to get your feedback on.

1. What would you want to see at a show this year? (Examples might include PvP tournaments, Q&As at the booth, photo opportunities)
  2. What topics would you like to see covered on panels? Specific areas of the game? General roundtables with the developer team? Voice actors?
  3. If a show is in your area, would you be likely to attend a Community Meet & Greet outside the show itself?

Thanks in advance for all your great feedback!

If you would like to share your suggestions on gameplay improvements of addition of features, please don't hesitate to read through and post in The Suggestion Compilation thread.

Thank you for your understanding and we appreciate your help in keeping this thread on-topic and constructive.

What topics would you like to see covered on panels? Specific areas of the game? General roundtables with the developer team? Voice actors?

Crew Skills! :D I'm absolutely loving the crew skill implementation; what I want to see is information on where crew skills are going from here. While crew skills are interesting and unique, sometimes I'd like to see something more engaging, something where either I'm actively involved in the crew skill, or something that requires multiple crew members to complete. What can we expect to see in future patches; what about in 2.0? What is the vision for crew skills going out from here?

These are the things I'd like to see at events :cool:

Forgot to add, please consider making the play time much shorter than it was at PAX East. Due to the number of people that wanted to play the game, those that did not get to the booth within the first three minutes of the floor opening could not play.

PAX East was an anomaly, and I mean that in a good way. The specific goal of that event was to show everyone that yes, we were in fact an MMO, and we did that by letting people see some of our favorite Flashpoint content. The crowds we got were something we were completely blown away by, and if you followed the other shows we visited in 2011, you'd see that we adjusted accordingly by having shorter demos, more machines, and getting as many people through the booth as possible. So compared to the 8-hour lines you saw at PAX East, every other show had lines that were no longer than an hour or two.

That being said, I'm curious to hear more opinions on this topic. In a situation where we had future content to show (which would not be most shows, remember), would you prefer a chance to play through the majority of the new content, knowing that it was less likely you'd actually get a chance to play it, or would you prefer a shorter content tease, with a much higher chance of getting to play at all?

There are major things I do not like about the game.

I want to see them addressed in panels. On one of the panels last year that Ohlen was on, I actually got to ask a question about production quality and if that is the reason that, at that time, a newly released MMO was failing (DCUO).

Ohlen went on to talk about TOR's production quality.

It's pvp world design speaks against that. I want a panel on it.

It's gfx engine and lack of high res speaks against that. I want a panel on it.

It's massive list of bugs & ability delay speaks against that. I want a panel on it.

Edited by Qishari
Discussion of moderation

So compared to the 8-hour lines you saw at PAX East, every other show had lines that were no longer than an hour or two.

I was in the line at E3 for about 3.5 hours :p, and a couple days later, the line was much longer.

There wasn't much you could do. The total demo was only 30 minutes long (a 10 minute video by DD, and 20 minutes of gameplay. I enjoyed the time I had on the game, and it gave me a good sense of how the game "felt".

Now that the game is launched, I feel any future events would be better served with a larger focus on videos, discussions, etc. People want to know where the game is heading.

every other show had lines that were no longer than an hour or two.

I beg to differ. I was in the first group that got let in at E3 last year on the first day. Second day, i waited half an hour. Third day, I waited 3 hours to play, and the line doubled in size behind me within minutes of the show floor opening.