Hoods no longer work with helmets?

KitePolaris

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope they fix this crap soon and that it is not intended , i mean the only helmet that you can wear under a hooded light armor chest piece is the craptastic looking Revan's helmet thing , and i hate it and do not want to spend 9 million creds on it from the GTN:mad:

Why over a year since release don't they just put a simple hood up / down toggle into the game options?

The hood issue is important to a lot of players, it's something that is regularly a topic on the forums and in general chat. Adding a toggle will make a lot of players happy and save a lot of complaints every time they break things.

I also find it deeply suspicious that the only helm that isn't affected by this bug is Revan's Mask, available via the cartel pack lottery or a bucket load of credits on the GTN. Funny that.

What a shambles.

I use the Investigators mask/helm thing to cover my Knights ugly mugg.. They had better fix it... or give us an option with a toggle button... can't be that hard to do... on a side note... who does their programming? I think I have more programmer friends than they programmers employed... >_> Edited by Panda_Que

Why over a year since release don't they just put a simple hood up / down toggle into the game options?

The hood issue is important to a lot of players, it's something that is regularly a topic on the forums and in general chat. Adding a toggle will make a lot of players happy and save a lot of complaints every time they break things.

I also find it deeply suspicious that the only helm that isn't affected by this bug is Revan's Mask, available via the cartel pack lottery or a bucket load of credits on the GTN. Funny that.

What a shambles.

Here's my explanation for why the hood toggle is taking so long, and why it probably won't happen anytime soon:

A hood ON/OFF toggle is very easy to implement for the very reason that some headgear knocks hoods off - the functionality is already in the game and has been since launch. Turning this into a toggle would be a very simple matter, and given how oft-requested this feature is, if the developers had decided to go this route, they would have done so a long time ago.

The most reasonable explanation for them not doing so is that they have decided to implement a hood UP/DOWN toggle instead of an ON/OFF toggle. That is, for every hood-up armor in the game, the toggle would switch to a hood-down appearance instead of just making the hood disappear. They would have to do the opposite for every hood-down armor in the game (granted, a hood ON/OFF toggle would have to ignore hood-down armor to work but that's OK). This route is in fact ridiculously costly and time consuming since it requires them to create new art/models for every single hooded armor in the game (including all the green/blue non-moddable ones). It is in fact so ridiculously time and resource intensive that it is impractical; they should never have attempted it in the first place when such a cheap and easy alternative exists.

Bioware seems dead set on the UP/DOWN route, so don't expect the hood toggle to happen for a long, long time. Not only is it ridiculously hard and costly to do it that way, but Bioware stands to make more money selling hood down armor on the Cartel Market than by implementing a hood toggle.

Only if we can convince Bioware to implement an ON/OFF toggle instead of an UP/DOWN toggle and that they would make more money that way will we stand a chance of seeing a hood toggle anytime soon. We need to let Bioware know that with very few exceptions, those of us who want a hood toggle DO NOT CARE for a hood UP/DOWN toggle. We are mostly hood haters who want to be able to turn the hood off on hood-up outfits and are willing to pay money for a toggle on the CM. We don't care if there's no hood down art. We don't care if we can't put the hood up on hood-down armor especially since an UP/DOWN toggle effectively means NO toggle at all. Having an ON/OFF toggle today is better than having no toggle at all or an UP/DOWN toggle in 2 years.

Because --as they've said repeatedly-- its not simple.

You find it suspicious that the one helmet that works is the one they spent weeks working on, going through multiple versions, in order to remove clipping issues and make sure that it didn't conflict with any hooded armor. You find it weird that what is probably the most heavily worked on item in the game is the one that works? I mean, is it a coincidence that the one helmet that works is the helmet that loads of people whined about to make it work with all the armors just a little while ago?

You're right, it does stretch the imagination to believe that some bug would show up that force the hood-down appearance on most hats, except for the one that was specifically coded and repeatedly tested to not cause that effect on as many armors as possible.

Yep Revans Robes, with muse head gear, also now showing hood down with the mask enabled...

Now my Inquistor looks like a dork :p

Would it be possible for Bioware just for ONCE to release a patch or update for one of their games that doesnt bring new bugs to the table? :eek:

Thank you all for the information, I am going to pass this on for investigation.

-eric

Please take care that when you fix these helms to work with hoods that you don't make it so that all headgear no longer removes hoods as this is currently our only hood toggle, and it is unlikely there will ever be a hood toggle (see my previous post in this thread for why). Some low profile headgear has removed hoods for over half a year now or longer (some since launch) and has been used as a de facto hood toggle; this is a GOOD thing.

There are many popular hood up robes such as the Jedi Battlelord set that do not have a hood down alternative on the Cartel Market and would no longer be wearable by many if the current hood toggle were removed. Alternatively, you could release a purpose-built hood-removing headpiece on the Cartel Market that has an invisible appearance like the covert torso. This would allow you to make all headgear work with hoods without upsetting the current delicate balance.

Edited by LetoAtreidesII

I think the reason this is annoying so many people is because of how Iconic hoods are in the Star Wars world.

I know logging my Sorc and seeing the helmet and no hood made me abit miffed. Hopefully a fix will come soon because its not unreasonable for players to actually quit over this.

Not that I will, I'll just hide the helm :D

Because --as they've said repeatedly-- its not simple.

Ehrm... Hood down and hood up geometry already exists. Dynamically turning on and off submeshes already exists. The only thing left to do is texturing and we know they know exactly how to do that.

So, yeah, it is that simple. (FWIW it's nothing I'd ragequit over)

Because --as they've said repeatedly-- its not simple..

It's only difficult because they made it unnecessarily difficult for themselves. See my explanation at the bottom of the first page of this thread

I think the reason this is annoying so many people is because of how Iconic hoods are in the Star Wars world.

It's true that hoods are iconic in Star Wars, but perhaps it's more accurate to say that HOOD DOWN is iconic in Star Wars, at least for the good guys. In the films, all major hooded characters take their hoods down real fast and then they stay down for the rest of the film, with the exception of the evil Palpatine and perhaps Darth Maul.

Edited by LetoAtreidesII

Just a quick update, we have confirmed this is definitely a bug and is not intended. We will work on getting this resolved so look for it in future patch notes and it will be added to the known issues list.

-eric

Glad this is a bug. However Eric, is this a top priority to be fixed for the Devs or will we see months passing without a fix for this? For me it's an urgent issue. I can handle every other bug, but not that my Jedi looks like a Fantasy toon.

Edited by tman_ac

Just a quick update, we have confirmed this is definitely a bug and is not intended. We will work on getting this resolved so look for it in future patch notes and it will be added to the known issues list.

-eric

... doesn't sound like a high priority to me.

I dont know if this is the right place, buit i think its related.

About the Corrupted Dread Mask, we can't use it with a hood, which is very disappointing.

Is this a bug as well or it was intended that way? If not, will be a fix for this any time soon?

... doesn't sound like a high priority to me.

Probably not. Last time something like this occurred was right after the Rakghoul event, in which BW removed the respirator masks from the game (yeah, another iconic piece of gear); because a lot of people were crying about clipping.

It took them almost 2 months to come with a "patch" that solved the problem and we could have respirator masks again. Funny thing, though, it was also the time when "worked as intended" became the popular answer for Dev responses in the forums.

Better start looking for a better look for our inquisitors.

Edited by zorroazul

-eric

Any ETA for the fix, or is it just when the bug fixers get around to it?

Also, any idea how complex the issue is or will a simple rollback on a few lines of code likely suffice?

I don't understand why BW doesn't just fix this stupid issue and give people an option to put up a hood or not with any helmet in the game. Really dissapointed that customers have to spend time and money on the look they want then poof BW changes it. Thanks agian BW! I will spend my money on something else for sure!:mad:

Would be nice to adjust the hoods to stay on more helmets, like Kallig's Countenance. codex pictures shows the hood working with it :'(

That would be really nice, indeed. Staying positive, let's hope when this bug is fixed, they'd also let Kallig's Countenance be included. As you mentioned, his picture shows it's inside the hood.

Edited by zorroazul