Security Key Vendor

Nyxypet

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of you that thing this is a dumb idea must be completely new to MMOs. Those of us that played world of warcraft, dealt with our accounts being hacked all the time. Trust me when I say this, once this game gets up in going, chinese farmers will stop at nothing to hack your account. It happens once world of warcraft got popular, and I promise you that it will happen here. Also know when is twisting your arm to get the mobile authenticator. If you think it's a retarded idea and choose not to get one fine; however when you make your form post complaining that you were hacked asking how to get your account back, we will all laugh at you. On top of that when you finally do get your account back all your credits will be gone in your toons will be naked. We went through this with world of warcraft, and without the authenticator you want to rick here too. Do not say we did not warn you ...

What's the procedure for resetting this if your phone breaks? The main problem I have with it right now is that there seems to be no way to have a backup key, and there's no clearly stated procedure for rapidly re-authenticating without it to turn it off, so in my case the odds are substantially higher that I'll be locked out of my account by an issue with my phone (left it at work, battery dead, dropped, etc.) than that I'll be locked out of my account by an account hack.

As long as that's the case, having the security key _reduces_ my security, not increases it.

I'm no stranger to dual-factor authentication (I carry around a SecurID fob for work), but it only works well because you can get a replacement on an hour's notice by wandering into the correct building and showing your badge. That's not something I can do with Bioware, and even their phone support was inaccessible the last time I tried it.

All of you that thing this is a dumb idea must be completely new to MMOs. Those of us that played world of warcraft, dealt with our accounts being hacked all the time. Trust me when I say this, once this game gets up in going, chinese farmers will stop at nothing to hack your account. It happens once world of warcraft got popular, and I promise you that it will happen here. Also know when is twisting your arm to get the mobile authenticator. If you think it's a retarded idea and choose not to get one fine; however when you make your form post complaining that you were hacked asking how to get your account back, we will all laugh at you. On top of that when you finally do get your account back all your credits will be gone in your toons will be naked. We went through this with world of warcraft, and without the authenticator you want to rick here too. Do not say we did not warn you ...

I've played WoW since '05 and i never got thier authenticator,and my account has NEVER been hacked.... if you get hacked by a keylogger or clicking on a link in forums/email that you aren't 100% sure is safe it's your own fault.However,i will order one just cause i want one for this game cause i wanna use it lol..and its StarWars..

what it adds is this,from playin WoW for so long and hearing from guildies of what they did and problem solving...alot of times they clicked on a link either on wow forums or email/facebook that said somethin in the lines that they needed to click this link and the email lookin like its from Blizzard and they need to verify thier account...and they fell for it..its called phishing...they fall for it and click it and input thier account info and bam,that's all she said and thier account is now compromised...

I simply just dont click anything unless i know for sure its 100% its legit

put it this way if your logged on the forums,and you see a link that says somethin like "awesome new way to make credits" and its a link to a webpage,if you click it it can then record the info you logged onto the site with (password/username) BUT if you have the authenticator it wont be able to copy the code it gives you. But you still should NOT click any links..cause that may give them enough info to get into your email accounts.

another thing is...the wow authenticator was in fact hacked once before...so even this isn't 100% secure...

there is also the time i read that someone who didnt have the WoW one and they went on vacation for couple days,someone got into his account and email and ordered an authenticator and attached it to his account,then he couldn't get into his own account,it took a bit for blizzard to straighten it all out...

Gonna just pop in here and say, I've played MMOs since back in 98, with everquest... not once have I been hacked.

Decent internet and script protection and an up to date AV goes a long way, apart from this get a good password, dont always trust your friends to be nice, they might figure out your password if its made of words or numbers that have personal meaning to you.

If it wasnt for my impatience and general distrust of such items, I would get one. But... I dont wanna be kept out of the game just cus I lost my phone or authenticator somewhere.

I installed it even though I consider myself a careful user/player/surfer and a reasonably competent sys admin. However, all it takes is missing one security patch, hotfix or update with a threat in the wild and you can be hit.

I was keylogged once because my java version was out of date for whatever reason and an exploit scripted into a sidebar ad on a gaming site installed a keylogger. Had I had an authenticator the keylogger woudn't have been useful to the black hat that cleaned me out.

So I think to poo pooing the authenticator because a user "knows better" or has "never been hacked before" is hubris and short sighted, especially when they dangle a carrot of in game items AND offer a free version of said protection.

Installed on a B&N Nook Color running CyanogenMod 7 08112011 NIGHTLY-encore. :sy_republic:

Incorrect. for me at least, it had the "Elegant Dress"

wait.. just had a thought - is there more than one vendor? perhaps they have different items. I checked the vendor on the Republic Fleet

there are more vendors around and they do sell some different items also the fleet pass has much less of a CD then the standard 18 hour one you get.

Incorrect. for me at least, it had the "Elegant Dress"

wait.. just had a thought - is there more than one vendor? perhaps they have different items. I checked the vendor on the Republic Fleet

You can get the entire "Elegant" social gear set for pretty cheap at the Social vendor on Coruscant at level 10 with only a Social Rank 1 requirement. Same NPC that the tutorial quest sends you to at that level.

Edited by Leiloni

• 3 weeks later...
Stop being so ignorant and take advantage of your security key! Bioware is going the distance for their players and if you don't want to take part in that then it is your own loss, I just wish some of you would appreciate more what they are doing for you...

Some companion customizations.

A return to fleet item ( But I have a skill that does the same thing)

A set of clothing - imho ugly as heck.

*Edit* securing your account is a good idea.. but I am regretting it - it drives me crazy having to find my phone every time I want to login.

What class are you and what skill give you that option?

About ugly clothing im not sure, normally my right hand is very busy when i play my female alt in the dancer set that you can buy on kaas and ilum.

What i dont get is why would i need to secure my account? Is someone gonna take my credits? ooh noo what will i do? I have nothing to spend my money on atm so if i would be broke tomorrow nothing would have change.

But fleet pass is the best and only reason to get the secure thing.

You're wrong. Why? Because you think that it's possible to secure your system. It's not - no system is ever 100% secure.

True, but if a security key makes it 99% secure instead of 90% secure isn't it worth it?

Putting it another way, if your applied that logic to home security you would end up not bothering to shut your front door when you came home at night. After all, burglars can always get in through the window so even with the front door shut and locked no home is 100% secure, right?

So no, no system can ever be 100% secure. But security keys make them considerably more secure, and that makes them worth having.

There are a number of unique items on the security vendor (including a 1 hour cooldown fleet fast-travel pass) that cannot be found anywhere else in game.

We also intend to update the vendor's inventory over time with additional goodies.

Players can gain access to the security vendor's stock by purchasing and associating a physical security key or the free smartphone key app for Android or IOS with their account.

All details can be found here

http://www.swtor.com/info/security-key

I would love to access the vendor for the faster fleet pass (is it one use only) but I had to replace my iPhone and disconnect my authenticator. Now I am unable to re-add an authenticator to me account.

When is that going to be fixed?

The vendor items all looked like junk you might want to buy at max level when you are bored and have money to blow on stupid things.... in other words its mostly garbage.

However 4$ for the key-chain authenticator is pretty inexpensive and you can just leave the thing sitting at your desk.

If you have ever had to go through the process of getting your stuff back, im sure you would agree that its worth 4$ to avoid having it happen again.

I think everyone in that thread didn't check that the Fleet Pass is without a cooldown on that vendor.. for only 1k. That alone makes it worth it.

Holy crap! How did I miss that? If this is true, I love you. If you are trolling me, I hope Banthas use you as an enema.