Another trilogy?

Kulraven

Are we ever going to get another helping of Star Wars movies? I know Lucas is mad at the community, but is he totally done?

Im not wishing for anything bad to happen to Lucas (and its tough to put this into words properly), but will we have to wait until after Lucas passes away before more movies can be made? What I am saying is, surely Lucas heirs will realize that the SW franchise is a golden goose and sell the rights to someone wont they?

Has it really come to this, that Lucas will take his toys to his grave before he will share them with us again?

Are we ever going to get another helping of Star Wars movies? I know Lucas is mad at the community, but is he totally done?

Im not wishing for anything bad to happen to Lucas (and its tough to put this into words properly), but will we have to wait until after Lucas passes away before more movies can be made? What I am saying is, surely Lucas heirs will realize that the SW franchise is a golden goose and sell the rights to someone wont they?

Has it really come to this, that Lucas will take his toys to his grave before he will share them with us again?

lucas says no more movies. and when he is "gone", he has measures to still stop new movies

lucas says no more movies. and when he is "gone", he has measures to still stop new movies

How, you cannot control property into perpetuity? Once he dies, someone/something will control the rights to the franchise, not Lucas. Its simply too much money for anyone to ignore.

No, he has methods in place to where there won't be anymore movies the rights will go to his children. Even if there were to be new movies, you would need to wait almost 100 years due to copyrite law. Why though I ask do people want new movies? We don't need any more movies, we got books, comics, games, etc that are covering stuff before and after the movies. Making more movies just invalidates all that work that was put into everything.

No, he has methods in place to where there won't be anymore movies the rights will go to his children. Even if there were to be new movies, you would need to wait almost 100 years due to copyrite law. Why though I ask do people want new movies? We don't need any more movies, we got books, comics, games, etc that are covering stuff before and after the movies. Making more movies just invalidates all that work that was put into everything.

Im no lawyer of course, but I would be interested to know how long someone can control something after they die. Even if rights pass to his kids, kids have a tendency to think for themselves. And there is a ton of money involved.

As to why we want more movies...Movies seem to be the culmination of a story. The manifestation of a vision. Think Avengers. We have read and read Avengers stories for decades, but seeing it in live action was amazing!

As for Lucas, I cant think of another comparison of a person who is so hostile or opposed to the very people who built him (and vice versa). It is odd. Both sides love SW, but dont like each other at all.

When George failed to be crowned Geek King of All Sci-Fi, he basically went StarWarsNazi and said "NO MOVIES FOR YOU!!!" Then a Cartman style "Screw you guys, I'm goin' home."

His prequels made money. However, the film critics and fans railed them mercilessly. Back in 1980, he had promised 9 movies in total. He either lied back then and didn't really have all nine stories finished, or he changed his mind after the Prequel fallout. My guess is the latter. He also changed it from "Luke's Story" to "Anakin's Story" somewhere along the way.

As I've stated before, I didn't hate the prequels. I thought they could have been better, but they did have their good points. As for George Lucas himself, I've lost a lot of respect for the man. Since most of the Fans who railed the prequels were also saying "The OT was better!", I believe George changed the OT out of spite. His excuse was something to the effect of: "I was never happy with the movies, and now they are more like I originally envisioned them." That, to me, is a load of bantha poodoo. A thinly veiled excuse. Nothing more. As a grand scope writer, he KNOWS how to tell a story. For writing dialogue and personal stories, he leaves a lot to be desired.

Just my point of view.

Im no lawyer of course, but I would be interested to know how long someone can control something after they die. Even if rights pass to his kids, kids have a tendency to think for themselves. And there is a ton of money involved.

As to why we want more movies...Movies seem to be the culmination of a story. The manifestation of a vision. Think Avengers. We have read and read Avengers stories for decades, but seeing it in live action was amazing!

As for Lucas, I cant think of another comparison of a person who is so hostile or opposed to the very people who built him (and vice versa). It is odd. Both sides love SW, but dont like each other at all.

Copyright law states that when the creator of something dies, the author/filmmaker/whatever creation cannot be remade, retold or redone in any way shape or form till a certain number of years pass. In the case of star wars, not until 95 years pass.

But again we don't need some half wit director/writer remaking/redoing/more star wars movies. Just leave them as is, and continue on with books, games, comics and the like. You CANNOT remake certain movies, or make sequels to those certain movies(IMHO) and SW is one of those series of movies.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I would love to see, say, everything from the start of NJO to at least the end of LOTF made into a series of movies.

Might take more then three though. If there's anything Lucas has taught is, it's that character development is hard.

Ya..almost 100 years.

nah, lucas will continue destroying it until he finally realizes they should just start over.

it's kind of a shame that once lucas passes away, which is the point that we could finally get some decent new movies out of this franchise, he **** blocks us all by taking his ball and going home. he'll always be remembered as one of the most creative minds of sci-fi, but he'll never be remembered as a good (or even passable) director.

How, you cannot control property into perpetuity? Once he dies, someone/something will control the rights to the franchise, not Lucas. Its simply too much money for anyone to ignore.

You can put a stop to something after you die. Charles Shultz did it with peanuts.

nah, lucas will continue destroying it until he finally realizes they should just start over.

it's kind of a shame that once lucas passes away, which is the point that we could finally get some decent new movies out of this franchise, he **** blocks us all by taking his ball and going home. he'll always be remembered as one of the most creative minds of sci-fi, but he'll never be remembered as a good (or even passable) director.

Well, instead of taking constructive criticism and ignoring the raging "Star Wars Raider Nation" extreme fans, he got all butthurt and went emo/nerdRAGE on fans and critics alike.

Decent new movies?.....So how many movies, that have been recreations of older movies done well at the theaters and for its fans? Instead of rebooting or making new movies, they really just need to stick with comics/books/games and the like. There are some movies and series of movies, that shouldn't be remade/retold/re imagined/whatever you wanna call it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

His daughter gets the rights to it from my understanding. But yeah he supposedly has it set up so no movies will be made.

It's his universe.

Lucas is mad at the community? for what? people that star wars pay his gosh darn bills!!

why is he mad at the community?:confused:

because they begged and begged him to make new ones so when he did everyone said they sucked and he was a horrible person and that he ruined their childhood.

Not saying they are wrong.

To be fair, the Prequels didn't ruin Star Wars for me. Especially when I read the novelizations and everything fell into place without having to deal with George's bad directing and Hayden's emo acting.

What nearly did me in completely was the RETCONNING of the OT by George himself. Luckily, I just put my original CBS/FOX VHS versions of A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi onto DVD and cleaned them up some. :D

Guess what, George. Take your Special Edition RETCONS and shove them where the sun don't shine!

HAN SHOT!

First.

Last.

ONE SHOT FIRED.

Greedo died without even squeezing off a shot, beeyotches!

:cool:

Edited by Captain_Zone

To be fair, the Prequels didn't ruin Star Wars for me. Especially when I read the novelizations and everything fell into place without having to deal with George's bad directing and Hayden's emo acting.

What nearly did me in completely was the RETCONNING of the OT by George himself. Luckily, I just put my original CBS/FOX VHS versions of A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi onto DVD and cleaned them up some. :D

Guess what, George. Take your Special Edition RETCONS and shove them where the sun don't shine!

HAN SHOT!

First.

Last.

ONE SHOT FIRED.

Greedo died without even squeezing off a shot, beeyotches!

:cool:

People's excessive whining over the simple fact of who shot first is pathetic.

Also, George Lucas was very limited with what he could do back when he made the OT, so of course later with the progress of technology he is going to go back and fix things.

It reminds me of the time I read that someone was saying that Jabba the Hutt was meant to be a human, I lol'd.

Also, just for clarification for whoever was saying that George lied about having 9 movies; he did have 9 movies planned. But he didn't know if A New Hope was going to catch on or not, so he had to condense it so that it was essentially a stand alone film. In essence, I assume it's ending would have been more in kind to Empire Strikes Back, where it doesn't really end but leads into the next episode. Due to him having to condense it, the Death Star was brought forward, when originally it wasn't meant to be featured in Episode 4, and the second Death Star as far as I know didn't exist.

Also, the emperor wasn't meant to be faced until Episode 9. Obi-Wan wasn't meant to die in Episode 4, but George had to kill him off because he had no part after the Death Star sequence after George had to change the entire story. With this also, Yoda was never meant to exist, instead it was meant to be Obi-Wan who trained Luke. Go figure.

It was the same reason Han was frozen in carbonite, he had no function after that, he had no role, as if they focused on him, it would have taken too much away from Luke vs Vader which was meant to be the focus. Also, Leia was never meant to be Luke's twin, it was meant to be someone else, but I assume logically that it wouldn't have fit to introduce such a major character in the third movie. Still, makes the kiss really weird.

People's excessive whining over the simple fact of who shot first is pathetic.

Also, George Lucas was very limited with what he could do back when he made the OT, so of course later with the progress of technology he is going to go back and fix things.

It reminds me of the time I read that someone was saying that Jabba the Hutt was meant to be a human, I lol'd.

Also, just for clarification for whoever was saying that George lied about having 9 movies; he did have 9 movies planned. But he didn't know if A New Hope was going to catch on or not, so he had to condense it so that it was essentially a stand alone film. In essence, I assume it's ending would have been more in kind to Empire Strikes Back, where it doesn't really end but leads into the next episode. Due to him having to condense it, the Death Star was brought forward, when originally it wasn't meant to be featured in Episode 4, and the second Death Star as far as I know didn't exist.

Also, the emperor wasn't meant to be faced until Episode 9. Obi-Wan wasn't meant to die in Episode 4, but George had to kill him off because he had no part after the Death Star sequence after George had to change the entire story. With this also, Yoda was never meant to exist, instead it was meant to be Obi-Wan who trained Luke. Go figure.

It was the same reason Han was frozen in carbonite, he had no function after that, he had no role, as if they focused on him, it would have taken too much away from Luke vs Vader which was meant to be the focus. Also, Leia was never meant to be Luke's twin, it was meant to be someone else, but I assume logically that it wouldn't have fit to introduce such a major character in the third movie. Still, makes the kiss really weird.

I watched the interview in 1980 AFTER Empire Strikes Back released with George saying he still had 7 more movies ready to be made. Scripts done and ready to go. Then after Return of the Jedi, he basically went back on his word without saying anything. Then the first Star Wars novel came out with Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn. And many of us who had given up on George making the remaining 6 movies latched onto the Thrawn Trilogy as the spiritual successors to the OT. Which at that point in time, they were. George Lucas himself approved them, and said they were good books. Then he came out with the Prequels and everything went to hell in a bucket.

As I stated above, the Prequels weren't THAT bad, and they made money. Unfortunately, the "Raider Nation" Star Wars fans went apenuts on George, and we saw how thin his skin really is. He emoRAGED on fans for a while, and refused to take responsibility for his bad writing and directing. Not to mention the film critics who pointed out that the PT wasn't nearly as good as the OT. In fact, one of the local headlines in the paper where I was living at the time said "The Magic Is Gone" above the review for Phantom Menace. Even then the movie STILL got 3 out of 5 stars from the reviewer. But George showed that he is incapable of taking constructive criticism.

When everyone said that the OT was better, I firmly believe he intentionally ruined it to spite those fans who railed on him for the Prequels. When an author retcons himself like that, it's a sign that something may be seriously wrong with his mental state. His DVD commentary notwithstanding. His excuses were flimsy at best, and outright bantha poodoo at worst.

Btw, there is no argument as to who shot first between Han and Greedo. Watch the ORIGINAL OT, and you will see that Greedo never fired a round. Han shot him down in cold blood. That was also part of the story of Star Wars. The journey of Han Solo from self-centered self-absorbed drug smuggler into a true hero when he finally finds a cause to believe in.

Edited by Captain_Zone