Commando - Assault Spec Hybrid 2.0 PVE Guide

LordKantner

Always use Reserve Powercell and Recharge Cells for a Plasma Grenade. Once you start getting good at using those to get 2/3 possible grenades, then I would practice using Plasma Grenade off cooldown, because it is very good if you can utilize it.

I've been using Reserve Powercell and Tech Override with it (alternating with RP+PG then RP+TO+PG etc). In full Assault it seems to be a little tighter on ammo than in your hybrid so I tend to like to save Recharge for situations where I end up pushing a little harder than I should have and need to get some ammo back.

(As a note, I end up typing these out twice over here: once in Merc-speak and then I have to translate it over >< haha such a waste)

Here's a Gunnery parse as well for reference, 2702 (I've never been all too good with it due to the ammo management...I just end up either using far too little or far too much. I've never been able to find a good balance.)

Edited by kennethdale

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using Reserve Powercell and Tech Override with it (alternating with RP+PG then RP+TO+PG etc). In full Assault it seems to be a little tighter on ammo than in your hybrid so I tend to like to save Recharge for situations where I end up pushing a little harder than I should have and need to get some ammo back.

(As a note, I end up typing these out twice over here: once in Merc-speak and then I have to translate it over >< haha such a waste)

Here's a Gunnery parse as well for reference, 2702 (I've never been all too good with it due to the ammo management...I just end up either using far too little or far too much. I've never been able to find a good balance.)

I'm sure once you get the hang of it you'll be able to use Vent Heat on Fusion Missile. Then again I don't go Full Assault partially because I have ammo issues.

Also, I would use Tech Override (Power Surge?) for a Power Shot when the first one does not proc HiB so you don't have to worry about a cast time delay.

Also, 3201 DPS:

http://www.torparse.com/a/464270/time/1382299799/1382300101/0/Damage+Dealt

I'm sure once you get the hang of it you'll be able to use Vent Heat on Fusion Missile. Then again I don't go Full Assault partiallyy because I have ammo issues.

Also, I would use Tech Override (Power Surge?) for a Power Shot when the first one does not proc HiB so you don't have to worry about a cast time delay.

Also, 3201 DPS:

http://www.torparse.com/a/464270/time/1382299799/1382300101/0/Damage+Dealt

You're right actually. I was able to manage heat well enough to he able to fit in the extra Plasma Grenade and by managing when I use it and net a bit better I wad able to push up to about 3100.

Sorry for the simple, new guy questions; hopefully this is useful for others as well.

I feel a bit uncertain about timing for DOTs and how to best apply them as fillers, especially when in the middle of a fight and you have a variety of filler options.

First is how many DOTs should be present. Is one DOT enough or should the goal be as many as possible without compromising something more important? I generally assume one DOT is enough, but if an opportunity arises I assume applying additional DOTs is good too if you have ammo to spare and an open filler spot.

Second is when to apply DOTs mid-fight. Depending on when a DOT will drop off, is it better to reapply early and clip the DOT? It could be I'm mismanaging the DOTs but I've had instances where my filler sequence made it so I had to reapply/clip an IR so I could stay on timing for setup of the next HIB (so: HIB -> CB -> IR -> CB -> HIB). Would it be better to let the DOT drop fall off instead and then reapply after the next HIB (so: HIB -> CB -> HS -> CB -> HIB -> IR)? Is this decision situational depending on the presence of another DOT (i.e. PC) or whether I need ammo? Generally I've been clipping IR with an open filler but as I'm typing this I'm thinking it'd be better not to clip so long as another DOT will remain up long enough for the next HIB; then refresh IR (and/or PC) as filler following the HIB.

I hope the questions make sense as typed. Thanks for the help!

(I've stayed with 0/10/36 since I'm still doing dailies and such, and AP is useful for random trash/mobs, but I'm thinking I'll drop AP once I'm ready to try some ops)

Sorry for the simple, new guy questions; hopefully this is useful for others as well.

I feel a bit uncertain about timing for DOTs and how to best apply them as fillers, especially when in the middle of a fight and you have a variety of filler options.

First is how many DOTs should be present. Is one DOT enough or should the goal be as many as possible without compromising something more important? I generally assume one DOT is enough, but if an opportunity arises I assume applying additional DOTs is good too if you have ammo to spare and an open filler spot.

Second is when to apply DOTs mid-fight. Depending on when a DOT will drop off, is it better to reapply early and clip the DOT? It could be I'm mismanaging the DOTs but I've had instances where my filler sequence made it so I had to reapply/clip an IR so I could stay on timing for setup of the next HIB (so: HIB -> CB -> IR -> CB -> HIB). Would it be better to let the DOT drop fall off instead and then reapply after the next HIB (so: HIB -> CB -> HS -> CB -> HIB -> IR)? Is this decision situational depending on the presence of another DOT (i.e. PC) or whether I need ammo? Generally I've been clipping IR with an open filler but as I'm typing this I'm thinking it'd be better not to clip so long as another DOT will remain up long enough for the next HIB; then refresh IR (and/or PC) as filler following the HIB.

I hope the questions make sense as typed. Thanks for the help!

(I've stayed with 0/10/36 since I'm still doing dailies and such, and AP is useful for random trash/mobs, but I'm thinking I'll drop AP once I'm ready to try some ops)

First, let me talk a bit about DoT specs: With any DoT spec the key to maximizing DPS is to keep the highest uptime of DoTs as is possible without clipping the DoTs. If you look at Balance for Shadows and Sages and Watchman for Sentinels, this is very true and in general is easy to do. Then you have the specs that have DoTs but aren't truly a DoT spec, like Telekinesis Sages; they use DoTs but only to modify their damage and they aren't a major contributor to their DPS. We fall in the middle of those two. DoTs are a huge part of our damage but are eclipsed by Charged Bolts, Full Auto, and most importantly High Impact Bolt.

As for our DoTs, we still want to avoid clipping as much as possible (the DoT from Plasma Cell will be "clipped" frequently but since its costing us no resources to reapply and is uncontrollable thats fine). You can't clip the DoT from Assault Plastique as it runs out before AP comes off of CD. You also can't clip Electro Net or Plasma Grenade. So the question becomes given how our filler windows work is better to use that 4.5 seconds between HIB procs (4.5 because of the cast of Charged Bolts or the GCD on using Full Auto) to refresh Incendiary Round before it falls off or after? The answer is a bit complex and comes down to knowing the fight:

If you are going to be able to continue your rotation and get through another few HIBs then absolutely let it fall off. I will only ever refresh it after a HIB and only after AP. If on the other hand you are going to need to switch targets or something, I'd say its better to refresh it early to maximize the number of ticks on the target before you have to switch. You can have IR on multiple targets so if you're switching from say Heirad to Ciphas, I always refresh my IR early on Heirad and let it get a few "Immune" ticks rather than missing the 1 or 2 ticks before that.

As to getting rid of AP, I'd give both a try. Clearly LordKanter has shown that you can put up great numbers in the hybrid but you can do the same in full Assault. If you like one better than the other then switch but don't switch because of what someone told you to do. :)

That DOT strategy makes sense. Thanks.

AP vs. non-AP... I feel much smoother with my pattern when I'm not trying to figure out how to weave in an AP. I'll keep practicing though and maybe I'll get more comfortable keeping AP.

Edited by bradvanhorn

It is very hard to control Plasma Cell in AP, it is somewhat doable in hybrid.

Plasma Grenade>AP>Plasma Cell> IR

As far as Plasma Grenade I'd look in the guide for where to use it, but it is the best attack you have.

Initially I would have disagreed with this but it definitely does help a lot. In Hybrid it does become much easier to hit all of them as well since the Ammo management is a bit easier.

That DOT strategy makes sense. Thanks.

AP vs. non-AP... I feel much smoother with my pattern when I'm not trying to figure out how to weave in an AP. I'll keep practicing though and maybe I'll get more comfortable keeping AP.

I play a merc so as it stands right now the ammo management is significantly easier so keep that in mind but the system I use is basically that you have between 4.5 and 6 seconds after an Ionic Accelerator proc (4.5 if you are going to cast a Charge Bolt and 6 seconds if you're going to use Full Auto or an instant charged bolts) and that is the period when you are going to be refreshing AP and IR as well as when you'll fit in Plasma Grenade or Electro Net. I'll also typically only ever do one of those in one of those windows simply because I want to try and keep the IA procs rolling.

So here is what it looks like from the start through the first couple windows assuming perfect IA procs (I apologize, went to a halloween party last night and I'm now too hungover to remember the CD names for Mando):

Assault Plastique > (1.5s)

Electro Net > (3s)

Relic/Adrenal >

Incendiary Round > (4.5s)

Thermal Sensor Override+Plasma Grenade > (6s)

High Impact Bolt > (7.5s)

Power Surge + Charged Bolts > (9s, IA Proc)

High Impact Bolt > (10.5s)

Full Auto > (13.5s)

Charged Bolts > (15s, IA proc off ICD)

High Impact Bolt > (16.5s, AP off CD)

Assault Plastique > (18s)

Charged Bolts > (19.5s)

Charged Bolts > (21s, IA Proc off ICD)

High Impact Bolt > (22.5s)

Incendiary Round > (24s)

Charged Bolts > (25.5s)

Charged Bolts > (27s, IA Proc off ICD)

High Impact Bolt > (28.5s)

Plasma Grenade + Vent Heat > (30s)

Charged Bolts > (31.5s, IA Proc off ICD)

High impact Bolt > (33s)

Assault Plastique > (35.5s)

Charged Bolts > (37s)

Charged Bolts > (38.5s, IA Proc off ICD)

High Impact Bolt > (40s)

Incendiary Round > (41.5s)

Charged Bolts > (43s)

Charged Bolts > (44.5s, IA proc off ICD)

High Impact Bolt > (46s)

Full Auto > (47.5s)

So thats completely theoretical and has IA proccing perfectly (which does happen very often) and you can see how I am trying to maximize my number of IA procs. The key that I've worked out is making sure you always know what you're going to do in those windows before hand. Know when you're going to have to re-apply dots, which one is going to fit for Plasma Grenade, etc. That's whats going to make it feel fluid. Truthfully, given how consistently IA procs this is probably the most set rotation I've ever used in SWtOR. I mean, you can honestly follow that list up there to the "T" in a lot of cases and when you can't its just adding in one or two extra Charged Bolts. If the Ammo Management gets tough make sure you replace the non-IA Charged bolts with Hammer Shot and use Full Auto to proc since if you do Full Auto > High Impact Bolt > Hammer Shot is a lot of Ammo regen.

Edited by kennethdale

Good stuff. Thank you. I found the time splits helpful. The depiction of skill sequencing is something I toyed with all last week but since it's all new to me I never felt I got it right.

Very low stuff compared to you guys but I finally did TC SM tonight. I stayed non-AP because of the simpler pattern. This was a lot of fun to play. Will definitely need to practice and get more ops time to be effective.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great in-depth guide, LK. I look forward to trying giving it a go once my Commando hits endgame (Alt-junkie so it may take a bit!). :)

Speaking of which...with the DXP weekend going on and many posters saying you're better off leveling with a certain spec to feel comfortable with it by endgame, would you recommend this spec for leveling as well? If so, would you knock out the smaller trees before finally going up the AS line or is there something you would prioritize? Thanks! :)

Great in-depth guide, LK. I look forward to trying giving it a go once my Commando hits endgame (Alt-junkie so it may take a bit!). :)

Speaking of which...with the DXP weekend going on and many posters saying you're better off leveling with a certain spec to feel comfortable with it by endgame, would you recommend this spec for leveling as well? If so, would you knock out the smaller trees before finally going up the AS line or is there something you would prioritize? Thanks! :)

I would definitely go up the gunnery arsenal tree first, but once you can get the PPA/ Ionic Accelerator talent in the AS tree, the amount of DPS you are able to do while leveling is pretty insane.

In other words don't go Assault until level 25/26.

I would definitely go up the gunnery arsenal tree first, but once you can get the PPA/ Ionic Accelerator talent in the AS tree, the amount of DPS you are able to do while leveling is pretty insane.

In other words don't go Assault until level 25/26.

I think the other way around works better. Assault gets you most of the skills you need really early, while Gunnery isn't "complete" until level 45 at the earliest. I just leveled a Merc to 55 this double XP week, and I have Field Respec so I went back and forth plenty. Arsenal (Gunnery) just isn't great before you get Demo Round/Heatseekers and CoF/Barrage.

• 3 weeks later...