Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I was one of the players that was very sad to hear that same-sex romances were not going to be in game at launch. So when my smuggler met the adorable Corso I was very bummed out. Same with Tharan! Why would my gay consular want to flirt with the girls? It just doesn't make sense in an RP way and it sucks! :p

As someone else pointed out, Bioware has no excuse here - they raised the bar with these types of options so having them missing now is a huge mistake.

Hopefully they will fix this soon! :)

Thanks for a great thread - enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. :)

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the players that was very sad to hear that same-sex romances were not going to be in game at launch. So when my smuggler met the adorable Corso I was very bummed out. Same with Tharan! Why would my gay consular want to flirt with the girls? It just doesn't make sense in an RP way and it sucks! :p

As someone else pointed out, Bioware has no excuse here - they raised the bar with these types of options so having them missing now is a huge mistake.

Hopefully they will fix this soon! :)

Thanks for a great thread - enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. :)

Agreed. Though so far my Inquisitor doesn't really have any romance options anyway. I'm running around with Khem-freakin-Val.

Not only is it a kick in the teeth that we have to advance our stories without it, if you don't persue a relationship with the opposite gender option, sometimes the companions you have decide to hook up themselves! I might have to hook up with my first companion just to stop that and that feels wrong lol

Is this alone proof that we will be seeing new companions? The things that happen don't seem reversible somehow :(

It seems a bit late for them to implement an option at the beginning to choose this preference, maybe you can enable it in settings? BW know they need do something like that because people, (mostly guys, sorry but it's true) complain like hell when a male NPC even gives the option to flirt by default.

Edited by AelixVII

A rough ETA on the SGRAs would be nice and I'd love a clarification of HOW they're going to do them. I can adapt to either option you've suggested 2a or 2b but I'd play very differently depending on which one they plan on using. I don't mind waiting, I hate not being able to plan.

This isn't just a matter of lvls either. Its also a matter of class choice. I think it's more fun to play with certain companions so I pick my specialization so that it's fairly complimentary. If I don't know who's a potential romance option I'm not going to play past lvl 10 with characters I want to have a SGR.

For the record I am hoping for 2a.

So, if new companions are coming are they going to be coming for lvl 50 or are we getting new characters across the board at different lvls? That could lead to some very interesting choices if they did it that way. Just as you can only have 1 active companion at a time would you have to make a one or the other choice for crew members? Either one or the other joins your crew but not both? It would make future play throughs very interesting. I doubt they're going to do it that way but one can hope.

On a related topic

I don't understand why our flirt options depend on gender. Lots of people flirt all the time or make suggestive comments in RL without expecting it to go anywhere. To me it's a conversation option like Sarcastic or Aggressive or Diplomatic.

I don't particularly expect a positive response every time I flirt. Actually, it's rather boring when you know you're going to get a positive reception and I think a range of reactions would be far more fun.

As for people worried about starting an unwanted romance. It's very simple. Don't pick the flirt option. They're all very clearly marked.

My question is will we have the ability to change the gender of our companions? Or to dismiss them and have them replaced? If this change goes into effect I think I should have the right to make my male character companions into females so I can avoid being hit on by a male companion since this is of no interest to me. After all if we are going to allow same gender then we should allow an opposite only option for those who prefer that path.

My question is will we have the ability to change the gender of our companions? Or to dismiss them and have them replaced? If this change goes into effect I think I should have the right to make my male character companions into females so I can avoid being hit on by a male companion since this is of no interest to me. After all if we are going to allow same gender then we should allow an opposite only option for those who prefer that path.

The thing is, you already have that option. Companions don't flirt with you unless you instigate it by using one of the [FLIRT] options in dialog choices. So, if you are on your male BH and aren't interested in Torian getting "the wrong idea", don't select the flirt response.

Simple.

One other point, same gender relationships aren't only for the homosexual/bisexual community.

There are a number of things that determine which gender character I will play for a particular class - combat animations, background (if I have any), sometimes it is just what 'feels' right for the character (as an example, using body type 1 or 2 feels wrong for my Trooper... it doesn't match what I see that character being), and finally voice acting.

Maybe it is just me but, the female voice acting is typically so much better than the male voice acting in BW games - this is no exception.

- I really didn't like the male Trooper or Smuggler voice acting through Ord Mantel - conversations seemed forced and didn't flow well

- Male Sith Inquisitor had a similar problem for me but, it wasn't as bad

- Male and Female Sith Warrior, Imperial Agent, and Jedi were close to equal

- I do think the male BH was much better

- I havent gotten far enough on my Consular to make a call

I am straight. I love the story. It is the story that has me hooked on the game. There is no reason that my female Jedi wouldn't want to have a romance with Kira... or my male character with a corresponding male companion... whoever made sense for the character.

One way they could handle the level 50 romances is in every or every other content patch, add a bit of companion story. I am a bit bummed that I don't hear more from Mako since I finished that one up... woudl be nice to get the occasional mail or conversation. That would allow us the option to 'kick off' the same gender romance in a short conversation well before the next expansion. It could be one of thiose "we havent had much of a break with all this killing but, i wanted to talk to you for a moment" with a flirt option open to anyone.

It would also be an interesting metric to look at from a data perspective and could help with prioritization of their dev team work. They would be able to see which gender/class/species/level picked the flirt option with which companion. That could let them know for certain what the interest level is.

-Xan

Edited by Xantheis

I'm a lesbian. I have to put up with male characters hitting on my female characters all the time. I live with it, it isn't all that much of a hardship. Through the dialogue, I can either shut them down fast, or just avoid hitting the flirt in return.

Why is this so hard for you?

I'm a lesbian. I have to put up with male characters hitting on my female characters all the time. I live with it, it isn't all that much of a hardship. Through the dialogue, I can either shut them down fast, or just avoid hitting the flirt in return.

Because..

Not talking about anyone specific, but I can gaurantee, that the majority of those who demand SGRA aren't gay people, but some forever alone perverts who can't set their sexual fantasies and want their girl toon to kiss another girl toon.

You guys should be offended by that a lot more than by the fact of BW not putting in SGRA at launch.

Its' not a hardship but something I shouldn't have to deal with. Just as you want to have a relationship in a way that's comfortable to you so do I want the same thing in my own way.

Its' not a hardship but something I shouldn't have to deal with. Just as you want to have a relationship in a way that's comfortable to you so do I want the same thing in my own way.

Then don't deal with it. Just don't hit the flirt option for those characters (of either gender) that you don't want to flirt with. If the system was set up equally then we'd have the option one way or another. Right now we don't have any choice.

Now, if you're suggesting that there's a broader issue of you being uncomfortable "dealing with" content that isn't heteronormative, I'm afraid I'm less than sympathetic. Women and non-straight men have to deal with a lot of uncomfortable stuff in this world. Having to ignore a potentially same-sex flirt option in a video game is small change, dude.

Saying that it shouldn't be included because it might make you uncomfortable isn't really all that fair, is it?

Edited by pmatisz

Are you being serious? Just don't hit the flirt option for any dudes...

Frankly, I'm still a little lost as to why it makes you uncomfortable. Does it make you uncomfortable because you WANT to flirt with that companion? Is it tempting you? Is that why you're uncomfortable? I'm asking you because the only way you will have to deal with being 'hit on' is if you 'hit on' them first.

If you do somehow attract unwanted attention it's not the end of the world I promise you. You'll be okay. If you're not sure how to deal with unwanted attention, just ask any of the girls you know and she'll explain it to you.

Edited by Baytree

Please don't feed the trolls, people. Thanks to elexier we're on page 12 of a remarkably civil and illuminating discussion, but it's starting to devolve. Stay on target.

Hmm, my fourth post in this thread and I still haven't answered the OP's question. Probably because I don't know enough to make that choice. Whether Bioware implements something more like 2A or 2B or a mix of the two or something else entirely is pretty much out of my control. Like many, I will adapt to whatever happens, but would love some information in order to plan.

I'm not the kind of player to generate a stable of alts. I have two characters now, an assassin in the mid-30s who isn't particularly interested in building a romantic relationship with anyone (though this could change), and a smuggler in his 20's who has no desire to deal with the ladies, is a bit miffed that Corso never opens up, and frankly who I'm reluctant to play further until I know if I'm going to have to reroll him from scratch.

I have friends interested in playing every single class for its story, and with Legacy BW obviously wants to encourage that behavior, but I already find leveling one Imperial-force-wielder and one Republic-non-force-sensitive to be tedious and repetitive. I prefer to focus on one or two characters only, and this whole subject is really hamstringing my progress. Do I wait, or do I level only to miss my chance and have to start over? Worse, do I level to 50 as a chaste monk, and suddenly flower a year from now in some expansion that hasn't even been announced yet?

That was nice, but it would be better to hear from Bioware regarding - loosely - when they expect to honor this commitment and interesting to hear how they are considering going about it.

It is not a matter of "should they or shouldn't they". They have said they will. So, when and how?

I understand that the ways in which companions enter the story does make this hard for Bioware to easily implement, but I would prefer more choice in the companions I receive.

And rather than feed the trolls, I will leave it at that.

Edit: not going to feed trolls

I just hope this isn't too hard to impliment as many people have been saying they probably have spare dialog hanging around all over the place and just havn't yet programmed in the same-sex relationship yet. Will have to wait for more info and a timeframe.

Edited by thegrognard

I am positively ecstatic about the sheer number of responses, Would be nice if the next patch was something of a Social Update, Fixing SGR, /jokes ect.

Keep the positive attitude going, I have a feeling that this "MAY" get forwarded to the guys/gals at Bioware at this rate :D. (Keep em crossed)

I am positively ecstatic about the sheer number of responses, Would be nice if the next patch was something of a Social Update, Fixing SGR, /jokes ect.

Keep the positive attitude going, I have a feeling that this "MAY" get forwarded to the guys/gals at Bioware at this rate :D. (Keep em crossed)

They've probably seen it already. Those devs are everywhere *shift eyes*

I am male, I play 6 male characters and 2 female characters. I am in favor of same-gender romances. Before I start deciding how I think it would work best in the game, I would first like to see how BioWare plans to implement it.

I do not feel a proper opinion of such is something I can make without knowing what BioWare has planned and why. Regardless, I still feel this is a feature that should be in the game and am pleased to know that it has been a planned feature for some time now.

Edited by Zebular

I am male, I play 6 male characters and 2 female characters. I am in favor of same-gender romances. Before I start deciding how I think it would work best in the game, I would first like to see how BioWare plans to implement it.

I do not feel a proper opinion of such is something I can make without knowing what BioWare has planned and why. Regardless, I still feel this is a feature that should be in the game and am pleased to know that it has been a planned feature for some time now.

I agree with you, I would like to know a rough timeline and what they plan on doing... in a way future content is hard to do with voice acting all the time... additional overhead, which means I think same-sex companions will be new companions insteading of redoing the ones we have now, who knows they might even allow multiple partners, it would fit the smuggler for sure... Sith as well.

How has this thread not been closed yet?

Perhaps it's because it's so-far been a rational and civilised discussion on a staple feature of Bioware games without (for the most part), the bigotted vitriol we have to endure on an all-too-regular basis?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised considering the state of other recent threads on the subject.

Adding to the discussion, I personally would prefer it if exsisting characters became available (my Jedi Knight is too busy pining over Kira to get any galaxy-saving done :D) - there are many instances in the game were it almost appears as if the feature was partially implememnted then just abandoned - certain comments and cinematics.

However it is implemented I just wish we knew when, I just don't feel like I'm playing a Bioware game at the moment, and that is something of a disapointment.

I prefer option 2b.

As far as I've seen, though, there's also options for flirting with non-companion characters, but obviously and sadly none for NPCs of the same gender. They should absolutely add those. Otherwise some playing below level 50 feel like being in an utterly constrained world, which I don't think is intended. I for one - and that's I think very much independent of me being gay - would prefer a feeling of freedom over how I want to develop my story/the story of my virtual character(s).

I have to agree with FredKang. Since they are making this option to accomodate those who asked for it why are people taking offense to this poster asking for an option that would make his gaming more fun to him as well? Those who are straight should have the option for more than one "relationship" just as those who aren't will have the option for more than one relationship.

When the "gay" romance lines are offered those people who are "bi-sexual" will be receiving more romance option choices. As in real life, I would like to have the choice of which crew member I have a relationship with. I only have a baby smuggler however, as I understood things from conversations in beta, the smuggler has 2 male options and 1 female....and this is the only class to have 3 options.

Everyone always wants to wave the "freedom of speech" or "freedom of choice of lifestyle" flags. Please remember, this is true for everyone. Don't start slamming people just because they don't happen to agree with your opinions or choices. If you are a guy and you like guys, great. If you are a girl and you like girls, more power to you. If you happen to be someone attracted to the opposite sex, you shouldn't be blasted for it. It is just as wrong as blasting someone for being interested in the same gender.