Say chatter bug

dacentabaal

This is still an issue, there is another thread for this in the General area that's 8 pages long. An update on this would be nice, because as it stands right now, inaction or lack of word from you (the dev team) is hurting your customer base.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post-patch from today, this chat bug is still evident within The Progenitor server. Having no word from the devs about steps taken to ensure this bug is fixed is extremely disappointing to say the least - the Progenitor has fostered some enjoyable cross-faction hubs for roleplay and at this time, the bug is stopping players from being able to chat and roleplay with each other and is serious affecting the community already.

Looks like the issue is still on going even after today's patch. It's been, what, three weeks now? This problem is incredibly destructive to RP servers. An update, ETA on the fix or at least a confirmation that this is being looked into would be nice, or are we to assume devs do not consider fixing the chat worth the time?

Communication is the single most important thing in a MMORPG. Sadly, Bioware has never believed that it should be top priority (as evidenced by the way they refuse to prioritize features like chat bubbles, opening /emote, /yell, /whisper, /tell , etc. cross-faction and more to this very day).

This should be hotfixed immediately!

Adding my voice to this thread, as I did to the one in Customer Service. On Begeren Colony, we have yet another cross-faction weekly event that is being moved to an out of game chatroom tonight... for the fifth week in a row.

Bioware, I saw you aknowledge the problem early in this thread, which is at least encouraging, but we're losing our rp community because we can't rp in game. If I wanted chatroom and forum rp, I wouldn't bother with the game. Please give us an update, even just let us know you're still working on it. Or be honest with us that you aren't so at least we can just move on.

Hi. I am a paying subscriber, and (another) one of several representatives for the Begeren Colony Roleplay community.

We have had to cancel and move our weekly social RP events out of game for a solid month now, multiple weekly events that have been going on for nearly two years standing, because of the cross faction-chat bug. We are certainly not the only server nor roleplay community suffering.

(The bug in question- /say chat does not show in the chatbox, even to the local client, when there are cross faction players nearby.)

Over the last four weeks our attendance has dwindled, our members have drifted to other games, participation even in basic gameplay has diminished to a standstill as the reason we all play- to play the game as a community and create story across-factions, is nigh impossible because of this bug.

RP is not the only thing affected by such a breakdown in communication either, I am certain your standard player-base is also upset they cannot talk with their cross faction friends fluidly within the game client.

It would do our community as a whole, as well as the many other roleplay communities & affected players out there, a great deal of good to have some clear and direct explanation as to what is being done on this bug.

One month of, what is for us, a game-breaking issue, is a fast way to lose clients. That we are even still playing shows we can be patient, but without some communication and clarity from those working to fix this issue, even our patience can only hold so long.

Please let us know what is being done on this fix. Thank you for your time.

Having tested a bit, it seems like the chat that disappears DOES make it into existence.. but is only viewable by the other faction's players that are nearby.

While that does make crossfaction RP possible.. it would be a verty weird conversation if with more than two people are involved....

But yeah, this should be fixed asap.. and hopoefully this thread will bring it up some the priority ladder

I for one am a loyal paying subscriber, and always have been. Roleplaying my characters and my love of being able to play a Star Wars character have been the fundamental reasons for my purchasing this game. And this Chat Bug is severely crippling any reasons I have to continue paying your company for a game that is obviously broken. I am trying so hard to fight myself not to go back to World of Warcraft because I am an avid Star Wars Fangirl and I LOVE your game. But you need to start fixing some problems, and this Chat Bug is a very, very serious problem! I am going to continue supporting this game as long as I can until my patience wears out. But you need to show me, the subscriber, that you do care about our [fellow subscribers] concerns, and you need to start addressing them in these Forums, rather than behind closed doors all the time, watching us vent our anger and smirking at us. If you don't plan to do anything about it, TELL US THAT, so we can take our money and go play elsewhere.

In Progenitor Server, our roleplay community had to abandon numerous events that were integral parts of our storyline with our cross-faction enemies. The Chat Bug has caused severe damage to all forms of roleplay and casual talk. Whenever there is just one member of the opposing faction, the Chat Bug activates and no one can see anything.

I have been noticing a population decrease in Progenitor because of this Chat Bug. Who wants to play a game where you can't even talk to anybody? I am wholly certain that even non-roleplay communities [PVP and NON-RP servers] are also suffering tremendously. This issue SHOULD be top priority.

IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE PATIENCE WEARS THIN AND THE COMMUNITY VACATES TO OTHER PLACES FOR A BETTER GAMING EXPERIENCE!

Please get this fixed devs. It use to work....so the fix can't be all that difficult. It's not like we're asking for something new and different. :eek: It's been a month - please fix.

Thanks.

I hoped that this bug would be fixed with the latest update, but it appears to not have been, despite it being reported ages ago, it has totally killed RP in the Slippery Slopes (this is The Progenitor server by the way) as it is cross faction, the place is almost abandoned these days, in short I am very, very angry as I am paying for this and I demand a estimate of when it will get fixed :mad::mad::mad::mad::

and one last thing, I will give you one last update to fix this or I'm moving to the Elder Scrolls Online permanently and taking my money with me

Edited by FieldMarshalFry

Hi all,

We understand your frustrations with this bug and its impact on gameplay, and it is right at the top of the list of things we're looking into. Unfortunately, I still don't have any status change for you - we are still looking into it, but there is currently no ETA for a fix.

As soon as I hear anything, I will let you all know.

-tait

Hi all,

We understand your frustrations with this bug and its impact on gameplay, and it is right at the top of the list of things we're looking into. Unfortunately, I still don't have any status change for you - we are still looking into it, but there is currently no ETA for a fix.

-tait

Thanks for the update. It's good to know that the issue isn't being ignored.

That said, we have been going for several weeks now with little to no word on a bug with what some of us consider to be a major feature (perhaps even the main feature). So, while the acknowledgement is appreciated, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that it could have come a little sooner.

With that out of the way, thanks again for the update and please do keep us up to speed with the issue. I know for a fact that many of us would like to know when a fix is on it's way as soon as Bioware does.

Hi all,

-tait

Might be an idea to do a bit of a reform to the chat system in the process, make /me and /y crossfactional as well? I'm sure the RP community would appreciate it!

Thanks for the update. It's good to know that the issue isn't being ignored.

That said, we have been going for several weeks now with little to no word on a bug with what some of us consider to be a major feature (perhaps even the main feature). So, while the acknowledgement is appreciated, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that it could have come a little sooner.

With that out of the way, thanks again for the update and please do keep us up to speed with the issue. I know for a fact that many of us would like to know when a fix is on it's way as soon as Bioware does.

I'll echo this sentiment. Thank you so much for finally giving us some hope on this issue, even if there's no fix in sight yet. But yes, it would be nice to not go more than a month without such encouragement.

That being said, as this bug seems to be mysterious and hit and miss for some people and some locations and some times, is there anything we, the players, can do to help you, the developpers, get more data to help fix this bug? If so, please just ask or let us know what specifics we can be paying attention to when it happens and when it doesn't happen.

Hi all,

-tait

Thank you for letting us know this issue is on someone's radar at least.

This and the inability to see who is online in the various custom channels - and sometimes not even be able to see when someone posts are huge negative impacts in our ability to play with our friends. When the community goes, so do a lot of people (and paying customers)

Problem:

1. Say chat doesn't work when multiple players from each faction are around

2. 1 imp or 1 pub surrounded by two or more of opposite faction results in /say being invisible to the one that typed the text. The other faction players may or may not see the message.

Solution(temporary solution at the very least)

1. 1 player from each faction can talk in say chat no problem AS LONG as the rest of the faction players from both sides are beyond 40 meters from the where the convo is taken place.

2. Yes so basically be 40 meters away and select 1 player from each of your groups to rp 40 meters away to work around the bug lol

OR JUST FIX THIS HORRIBLE THING events have been hurt badly on our server =/:confused:

While I'm not an RP'er and I am on a PvE server I will say that not having a /say functioning is quite annoying especially in Warzones for the good old "gg" and such or even when a spontaneous Open-world PvP event occurs. :sul_frown:

Overall, I have never seen this level of poor customer service and dev attentiveness to essential, base-gameplay issues, in my 14 years of gaming. And the game finally developed a bug that made playing how I prefer impossible.

/Say has been broken for OVER A MONTH, with no ETA for fix.

There has been next to no communication from Bioware regarding this broken, essential feature to any MMO. Dev & CSR teams in other current games keep players constantly abreast of such massively troubling bugs and issues via twitter & social media. Yet the best they can tell us, after OVER A MONTH of a bug that kills a core system, is that there is still no ETA. They give us no detail or explanation as to what is being done, nor straight apology for the community destroying inconvenience it is causing whole server groups that have been loyal to their game for it's duration.

In one month's time, the sizable (50+ active) roleplay community I am a part of has shrunk, easily, by half. No one bothers logging in anymore because we cannot communicate with each other reliably in game. Twelve & counting weekly cross faction events, core community sustaining events we have been holding religiously for two years, have had to be cancelled or moved out of game.

The game is already thin in content and social support and niceties to begin with, but when they remove the ability for players to support their own in-game social content, they shoot themselves in the foot.

Or in this case, the pocketbook.

I refuse to pay for a game where I cannot reliably communicate with all of my friends.

I refuse to pay for a game where two short notes of 'No ETA' is considered enough attentiveness over five weeks, to entire communities who are watching their friends disappear daily, because they cannot socialize in game anymore.

Just to add to my original report:

Tried some cross faction RP between my sage and my friends Mercenary, it went well-ish when another faction member didn't get within 45 meter range, but there were still problems, sometimes when we typed to each other we couldn't see at all what we said, so in our minds we kept tabbing up the convo and resending it but on the other players end they were receiving it multiple times, luckily we were both logged in Skype trying to keep tabs and found this out early enough.. but like most we kept typing (test) when our chatter wasn't showing, yet the test typing always went through no problems.. strange