How are Sorcs at 50?

MikeFL

My main character is a level 41 Sorc. I have recently gotten back into SWTOR and was hoping someone could comment on where Sorcs are at for endgame PvE. How is the damage and will a DPS-specced Sorc be "wanted" in groups?

I know we are very good healers so no worries there! :p

I don't do OPS much so I will just talk about class quests and HM FP.

Sorcerer has good DPS and AOE, along with probably the best CC skill. So in solo they are really good against 1 elite+several adds or 2 elite encounter. As for FP, Madness spec sorcerer can do well in all the FP with good DPS and the CC helps a lot.

Edited by Slowpokeking

hybrid heal if you want to pvp, cos otherwise you dont do enough damage and are too quick to take down, full heal means you miss lightnings bubble bonus and don't really need the aoe heal.

Ops/FM full heal is good and wanted due to aoe healing meaning we often can just stand and fight, lightning better for dps over madness but i prefer madness as when you get used to it then it can be used for both but again you're a bit weaker and they do need a tinkering buff to catch them up.

Sorcs is good fun though with some variety, i chose them before the game come out and sticking with through the good and bad, love the variety.

Don't listen to the bads. We do just fine endgame.

Sorcs can put out solid PvE damage in either a full lightning build or a full madness build. Pick one and learn the rotation. I parse at 1500 or better on every ops boss using madness. I like it a bit better than lightning because it is more mobile. You won't do as well single target as a Marauder, but in boss encounters with a lot of movement or multiple targets, a madness build can really shine.

I also like Madness because it works for PvP. Lightning doesn't. Ranked PvP is a bit screwy because of a couple of overtuned specs (Rage Marauders especially), but I do 300k-plus damage and 100k-plus heals in every warzone with my madness build.

Don't listen to the bads. We do just fine endgame.

Sorcs can put out solid PvE damage in either a full lightning build or a full madness build. Pick one and learn the rotation. I parse at 1500 or better on every ops boss using madness. I like it a bit better than lightning because it is more mobile. You won't do as well single target as a Marauder, but in boss encounters with a lot of movement or multiple targets, a madness build can really shine.

I also like Madness because it works for PvP. Lightning doesn't. Ranked PvP is a bit screwy because of a couple of overtuned specs (Rage Marauders especially), but I do 300k-plus damage and 100k-plus heals in every warzone with my madness build.

What about full lightning doesn't work would you explain please?

Thanks

Thanks

Lightning is too reliant on casted abilities. In PvP, people will interrupt you constantly, especially Thundering Blast, which is your top tier ability. It has such a long cast that it is super easy to interrupt and essentially worthless in a warzone. You will also get interrupted when casting your filler ability, lightning strike, which is required for all your procs. Madness and some of the hybrids have more instant abilities, and your best ability in those builds is death field, which can't be interrupted. I like full madness because the 2-second root on Sever Force is spectacular. It is on a low cooldown and is not affected by resolve. It's great both for your survivability, as it allows you to escape easier, and as an offensive weapon to keep others from escaping. It's great in Huttball in particular, where you can root ball carriers or others in a fire trap, which is immensely satisfying. Plus it does good damage.

Thanks

Lightning doesn't offer anything to either pve or pvp (full I mean- hybrid lightning is almost a must in pvp due to the stun bubble and force regen for healers- and even pretty popular for dps specs for the same reasons). You almost never see pures in pvp- but if you were it would be madness for the 2 second root.

Lightning is too immobile- in pvp that's a death sentence, not to mention LS, CL and TB all do mediocre damage. Madness on the other hand is extremely easy to purge and thus a healer near nullifies them in most cases- but at least you have more chance against non-healers.

In pve- madness has similar damage but with more mobility, and while mobility isn't as vital, it's still there- so lightning even takes a back seat there.

Ultimately- right now, lightning is used as a hybrid for CC and force regen, not for damage or pure specs in any case.

Now- before anyone says 'well I can top parses as lightning and own face in pvp!' yes, of course some people are able to do that- but I guarantee if you're good enough to get good results from a lightning build, you can get better from madness and even better from almost any other dps spec.

Sorcs are a difficult class to play well relative to almost every other class- and even if you do you aren't surpassing the good players of other classes.

I know plenty of people who use lightning very effectively in PvE. It's harder to get the rotation down perfectly, but if you do, it can outperform Madness in plenty of boss fights.

Full madness is an extremely viable PvP build. For all the talk about healers purging dots, I just haven't seen it very much. They are usually too concerned actually healing to worry about cleansing everyone in the group. Sometimes they will use it on themselves, but you can easily burn them with force lightning while they are cleansing and then re-apply your dots immediately. I don't think full madness is a great build for rated warzones at the moment, but it works just fine in regular warzones.

Ya I dont get where u say lighting isnt viable in pve imo madness is more of a pvp spec with the self heals through death field and the root on creeping terror Im lighting and i do just fine in pve actually better than most people u just have to learn the rotation and get it down right