Why are Some Conquest Missions Counted Across Legacy?

Perlesvaus

I don't understand why missions such as the defeat 250 NPCs or defeat 25 turrets/droids count as completed once I've completed them on one character.

If I can only get the reward once on one character why isn't the objective itself cross-legacy rather than just its completion.

A better question is why are they counting cross-character at all? If I have more than one character to do objectives on I should be able to do them.

I wholly agree, it's nonsense. Why should some points only be awarded once per legacy while points in general are always rewarded per character. I can only assume that's not exactly working as intended, either.

And to be honest, with the nerf to repeatable flashpoints, (which are now ALSO once per legacy for some reason) this should really be reconsidered.

I wholly agree, it's nonsense. Why should some points only be awarded once per legacy while points in general are always rewarded per character. I can only assume that's not exactly working as intended, either.

And to be honest, with the nerf to repeatable flashpoints, (which are now ALSO once per legacy for some reason) this should really be reconsidered.

I didn't notice the flashpoint one today until I went to do conquest on a lowbie.

I don't understand why missions such as the defeat 250 NPCs or defeat 25 turrets/droids count as completed once I've completed them on one character.

If I can only get the reward once on one character why isn't the objective itself cross-legacy rather than just its completion.

A better question is why are they counting cross-character at all? If I have more than one character to do objectives on I should be able to do them.

I'm just guessing, but it might be so that players with a lot of alts don't have a huge or unfair advantage over players that have only one or two characters with regards to earning conquest points.

This needs to be fixed. For players that have toons in more than 1 guild like me, having certain objectives counted across legacy is very frustrating and limits the objectives I can complete. I would assume this is an unintended bug; for example, if I kill 250 npc's on Alderaan with my scoundrel in guild X, why can I not get credit for killing 250 npc's on Alderaan with my vanguard in guild Y? This penalizes players who have toons in more than one guild.

The conquest system only awards points by tying them to an actual mission (completion of the mission triggers the award of points) or by using the achievement system (completion of the 'acheievment' triggers the award of points).

Unfortunately, the achievement system was designed to count random objectives at the legacy level, not at the character level, so conquest objectives being tracked through that system are completed by legacy.

It is sad they didn't bother to add new missions for the conquest objectives which could be picked up by each player, nor did they bother to add a repeating daily mission in GF that would allow for repeatable but level appropriate flashpoint to count towards conquest.

Any other answer is just spin by Bioware trying to paper over their lack of foresight and proper and full development of the conquest system.

In all fairness though, adding repeatable GF missions for FPs, tracking 'achievement' type objectives by character or even just preventing the 'invite three at last convo while running lowbie FPs' gimmick might have required significant development which Bioware did not have the budget to support.

So we are probably stuck with the limitations as they exist, which looking at next week's conquest planets, will mean a lot more upset people (only three planets, two with heroics to farm, one being 50+ Makeb).

Edited by DawnAskham

This needs to be fixed. For players that have toons in more than 1 guild like me, having certain objectives counted across legacy is very frustrating and limits the objectives I can complete. I would assume this is an unintended bug; for example, if I kill 250 npc's on Alderaan with my scoundrel in guild X, why can I not get credit for killing 250 npc's on Alderaan with my vanguard in guild Y? This penalizes players who have toons in more than one guild.

The flip side of being able to complete those objectives with multiple characters, each in a separate guild, is allowing multiple completion credit for a single player with multiple alts in a single guild.

Player A has 3 55's, each in a separate guild.

Player B has 3 55's all in the same guild.

Player A completes an objective once with each 55, granting credit for that completion, and the appropriate conquest points, to each of those three guilds.

Player B completes that same objective with each 55 he has, but his guild gets three times the conquest points since all those conquest points go to the same guild.

You can say "make it so that a guild can only get credit for a legacy completion one time", but how much extra work and coding would be required to do implement such a limitation? The coding is already in place to limit it to once per legacy, though.

Edited by Ratajack

The flip side of being able to complete those objectives with multiple characters, each in a separate guild, is allowing multiple completion credit for a single player with multiple alts in a single guild.

Is that what the OP is asking for? To kill the 250 npc's (or whatever) and immediately get points for every alt?

I thought he was asking to be able to kill 250 npc's on toon #1, get points on toon #1, then go over to toon #2, kill 250 more npc's and only then get points on toon #2.

Player A has 3 55's, each in a separate guild.

Player B has 3 55's all in the same guild.

Player A completes an objective once with each 55, granting credit for that completion, and the appropriate conquest points, to each of those three guilds.

Player B completes that same objective with each 55 he has, but his guild gets three times the conquest points since all those conquest points go to the same guild.

You can say "make it so that a guild can only get credit for a legacy completion one time", but how much extra work and coding would be required to do implement such a limitation? The coding is already in place to limit it to once per legacy, though.

Is that what the OP is asking for? To kill the 250 npc's (or whatever) and immediately get points for every alt?

I thought he was asking to be able to kill 250 npc's on toon #1, get points on toon #1, then go over to toon #2, kill 250 more npc's and only then get points on toon #2.

If I understand the OP correctly, I think your interpretation of his request is accurate.

In my example, both players A and B complete an objective 3 times, once with each of their 3 55's.

Player A has his three 55's spread across three different guilds, one 55 in each of those three guilds. Each of his three guilds gets credit for one completion and the appropriate conquest points.

Player B has three 55's in a single guild, so his single guild gets three times the conquest points that any of player A's guilds get.

We have enough complaining about the conquest system now. Can you imagine the cries if players with 3, 4, 5 or more alts could give a single guild credit and the appropriate conquest points to a single guild for each of their alts?

We have enough complaining about the conquest system now. Can you imagine the cries if players with 3, 4, 5 or more alts could give a single guild credit and the appropriate conquest points to a single guild for each of their alts?

Ah, I get what you're saying.

It wouldn't bother me personally, as it this is the sort of game that rewards having lots of alts. And it would theoretically encourage more time actually playing the game.

Of course, "kill 250 npcs" on a planet 25 levels below max is sort of silly and too easily exploitable. Anything that was changed from "once per legacy per week" to "once per character per week" should (in my opinion) be limited to activites actually relevant to the character level.

Edited by Khevar

So? Where's the problem?

If I do a random group finder HM 55 flashpoint on toon X I'll get points, then if I do a random group finder HM 55 flashpoint on toon Y I'll get points. So where's the harm in killing 250 NPC's on toon X and getting points, then killing 250 NPC's on toon Y and getting points? Or killing 25 guard turrets on toon X and getting points, then killing 25 guard turrets on toon Y and getting points. You're putting in the work either way, and not abusing the system. People with more alts will always be able to get more conquest points overall than a person with only one toon.

After reading DawnAskham's post (see below), I now understand why some conquest objectives are counted legacy-wide. It is like this as a matter of dev convenience, not because it was intended. I am bringing this up in the hope that the devs can somehow correct this so that all conquest objectives are tied to individual toons, rather than having a couple tied to legacy. This is not just a matter of convenience, but a matter of necessity for those players who have toons in multiple guilds. Please address this, devs.

DawnAskham's explanation:

The conquest system only awards points by tying them to an actual mission (completion of the mission triggers the award of points) or by using the achievement system (completion of the 'acheievment' triggers the award of points).

Unfortunately, the achievement system was designed to count random objectives at the legacy level, not at the character level, so conquest objectives being tracked through that system are completed by legacy.