Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Tiron_Raptor

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So THAT'S what the second swtor.exe process is. It's eating up 250k of processing and I want it baaaaaaaack.

I'm still trying to figure out where he got that bit about it being tied to the remoterenderingserver file from, myself...but given the fact it's in an unrelated thread, came up in passing, and wasn't particularly at issue I'm inclined to believe it.

I'm speculating heavily as to what it actually does, however, and I'll be the first to admit it.

To tell the truth I'm really kinda hoping with someone that understands the technical details of these sorts of systems will see this and check it out, in ways I wouldn't know where to begin with myself.

Edited by Tiron_Raptor

Since there is this much reaction to the topic already. I think the only way the devs can calm the mob now (including myself btw) is to explain why there is a 2nd proccess running, what it does, what that mentioned DLL does, IS anything rendered serverside?

this would explain alot of the threads about high end machines not running swtor propperly, it can be their internet connection, their ISP, Bio/EA's ISP or connection, or serverload on a specific piece of hardware in their datacenters.... jezus...this opens up tons of possibilities!

Very interesting. If it's true, how scandalous would that be?

If not, at least it shows how lack of information can lead to all kinds of fun conspiracy theories. ;)

Information or lack thereof rarely aids or inhibits conspiracy theories, since they act the same way as religions, belief is all that is required.

So Bioware decided to cripple game performance and cause muddy textures/pop-in just to prevent the creation of private servers?

What a bunch of twits (I'd have stronger words for them). Absolutely absurd.

I was thinking of resubscribing; yeah, I'll have to reconsider.

This is the single best post on this forum, in its explanation and the reply's its getting. So are we saying this protection is used to deter people from pirating. Because even if someone were to download the game they would never have all the files, because some of them have been isolated?

Wouldn't be much point to that, since they have to have a key to set up an account with.

It COULD however be used to prevent people from running private servers: with some of the assets stored on the server instead of on the client, it'd be much more difficult to start up a private server, as it'd probably be missing all those assets.

Until some hacker figures that out, gets them from someone that still has the old beta client on their hard drive somewhere, and uses those.

It could make it easier to prosecute people running private servers as well, since if I'm right about the timing the old beta stuff was never released except under the NDA, and to get it otherwise they'd have to steal it from Bioware somehow.

Since there is this much reaction to the topic already. I think the only way the devs can calm the mob now (including myself btw) is to explain why there is a 2nd proccess running, what it does, what that mentioned DLL does, IS anything rendered serverside?

this would explain alot of the threads about high end machines not running swtor propperly, it can be their internet connection, their ISP, Bio/EA's ISP or connection, or serverload on a specific piece of hardware in their datacenters.... jezus...this opens up tons of possibilities!

Their CPU not having enough oomph to pull the software rendering, the simple delay it takes to receive the assets from the server, render them, and zip them into the rest of the stuff in the client...

Edited by Tiron_Raptor

So Bioware decided to cripple game performance and cause muddy textures/pop-in just to prevent the creation of private servers?

What a bunch of twits (I'd have stronger words for them). Absolutely absurd.

I was thinking of resubscribing; yeah, I'll have to reconsider.

This is not confirmed. This is just speculation.

Could it be that they are going to have third parties to work on their system/build?

I think that would be a valid reason why they are doing this (if they are)..

Only if they were working exclusively on the client...I don't know why they would though, they got plenty of staff themselves.

There are other issues i fear this is causing. some aspect of this game is using all my cores in a very normal way, 35% over all 4 (I5 2500) while another aspect is driving core one to a constant 100% Some aspect of this game is causing my GPU to spike to 90 degrees, when Skyrim 1900 x 1080 on high runs at 75 max (yes vsync is on at 60fps). I need Bioware to assure me that they aren't killing my video card. I doubt sony wants a class action with a $300.00 + payout per plaintiff.

Im not speculating on what this system is or isn't doing. I want to know for sure what its doing, and i want to know if bioware thinks its working correctly. Then i want someone geekier than me to confirm.

ok if this is right and it send data from the main server is ea/bioware making use of this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372948(v=vs.85).aspx

i am asking cause a lot of us disabled this feature because almost non aside from ms ever planned to make use of this feature ,if they do indeed optimised swtor with remote differential compression i will gladly activate it if this game take advantage of it?

Edited by drbaltazar

Only if they were working exclusively on the client...I don't know why they would though, they got plenty of staff themselves.

I read in a different thread that they were going to hire a 3rd party dev team to help with some of build.

Which would make sense to copyright everything so they can not steal the info...perhaps when they are done?

Of course all speculation.

There are other issues i fear this is causing. some aspect of this game is using all my cores in a very normal way, 35% over all 4 (I5 2500) while another aspect is driving core one to a constant 100% Some aspect of this game is causing my GPU to spike to 90 degrees, when Skyrim 1900 x 1080 on high runs at 75 max (yes vsync is on at 60fps). I need Bioware to assure me that they aren't killing my video card. I doubt sony wants a class action with a $300.00 + payout per plaintiff.

Im not speculating on what this system is or isn't doing. I want to know for sure what its doing, and i want to know if bioware thinks its working correctly. Then i want someone geekier than me to confirm.

Sony isn't involved...that was SWG.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 100% core could be indicative that the second process DOES have a software renderer...if it's single-threaded (that would be just beyond the pale)

ok if this is right and it send data from the main server is ea/bioware making use of this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372948(v=vs.85).aspx

i am asking cause a lot of us disabled this feature because almost non aside from ms ever planned to make use of this feature ,if they do indeed optimised swtor with remote differential compression i will gladly activate it if this game take advantage of it?

I haven't seen anything to suggest this at all, all we've got anything on so far is remote RENDERING, not remote differential compression.

Edited by Tiron_Raptor

go download netlimiter 3 and watch the second process ... it never access internet even during loading time so the only remote processing possible would be on 127.0.0.1 and that would be juts dumb... the amount of data able to pass trough the botttleneck that this create versus cpu--> gpu is astonishingly immense.

The game loading zone are eating twice as much bandwidth than even 8v8 pvp (i would check ilum but dead server is dead).

It's really odd during loading zone it stays at low download ( 5k/sec) then at the infamous30% mark ( where the small icon on the bottom right restart turning) it jump to 55k/sec for the reminder of the loading bar. This does seem to indicate transfer of texture in betwen the server and the client as there is absolutely nothing that require a 50k/sec bandwidth gameplay wise... Unless they reload the whole client database at EVERY loading zone... and even then.

go download netlimiter 3 and watch the second process ... it never access internet even during loading time so the only remote processing possible would be on 127.0.0.1 and that would be juts dumb... the amount of data able to pass trough the botttleneck that this create versus cpu--> gpu is astonishingly immense.

The game loading zone are eating twice as much bandwidth than even 8v8 pvp (i would check ilum but dead server is dead).

It's really odd during loading zone it stays at low download ( 5k/sec) then at the infamous30% mark ( where the small icon on the bottom right restart turning) it jump to 55k/sec for the reminder of the loading bar. This does seem to indicate transfer of texture in betwen the server and the client as there is absolutely nothing that require a 50k/sec bandwidth gameplay wise... Unless they reload the whole client database at EVERY loading zone... and even then.

That IS interesting... and exactly the kind of data I was hoping that someone had a better idea of what they were doing than I would be able to get...hmm

Edit: I've added it to the initial post, since it's a hard data point to go from.

Edited by Tiron_Raptor

Here's my situation:

MB MSI G41M-P26, Intel Core2Duo E7300, 4 GB DDR3@1333, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT, 7200RPM HDD, 700W PSU

And I've had no problem at all regarding reduced fps in crowded zones. I play with 1920x1080, shadows off, rest on high. I usually run with 60fps, and the worst I've had was @25fps.

And the reason of this situation is, and I'm pretty sure that's the reason, I have a 50MB Broadband (I download with 6.25 Mb off internet and I upload with 5 Mb).

Now regarding this server based rendering i'm also sure it's 100% true. My reason to belive this?

- There is allways a slight freeze when opening my inventory

- One day, as never before, i've had 0.5-1 seconds freezes while opening the map. In 30 min it disappeared. So it was clearly some problem at the server end not my end.

- The textures in some areas load in succession, not all at once. If my hardware was of fault, I should experience fps drop while this happens. But no ... I'm at 60fps and the textures keep load one by one. So i't sclear as day that all these textures comes from the server and are not rendered on my machine.

if they used a software solution instead of a gpu solution to stay more secure dont search your bottleneck is there ,it isnt random luck ms accelerated everything they can with gpu

all software solution WILL NEVER BE fast enough for mmo environement ask aion(ncsoft) ,they had contracted a company to stay secure cause with very high number of player it was just too much

so they just booted the security and put a team of watcher in game like blizzard.you complain not long after the gm come take your com,plaint detail he go check it out and ban people if they need banning or he warn them depending on the severity of what player did!in my book they should just boot this silly software security solution!

and for them it is very easy to test this disable the security on test server and check .i am all from copy protection but gees a software copyprotection unaccelerated via gpu not multithreaded ?HELL NO!

Edited by drbaltazar

...cut...

- The textures in some areas load in succession, not all at once. If my hardware was of fault, I should experience fps drop while this happens. But no ... I'm at 60fps and the textures keep load one by one. So i't sclear as day that all these textures comes from the server and are not rendered on my machine.

Are you sure of this? :confused: