What kind of community are we making?

Astralll

Hello all,

A quick reminder that rude comments are not allowed. Also, we ask that if you're going to participate in the discussion to make sure your posts are constructive and on-topic. Off topic, no-topic, and derailing posts will be removed.

So far it's been a messy one. BIoware fanbois V Star Wars fanbois V WoW fanbois with the unexpecting newcomers jammed in the middle. Choose a faction... which are you??

So... you have to pick one? Can you be in all three? Or... how about none of those?

It seems that we also have some issues defining community.

So... you have to pick one? Can you be in all three? Or... how about none of those?

It seems that we also have some issues defining community.

You can pick all three if you like or redefine one I haven't included but some will be at odds with the other so prepare for people laughing at your contradictory stances.

There also is no issue defining community. The thread title is in what we're making not the defination. Really (and unfortunately), there is no definitive community around these parts. We have several warring factions.

Edited by Caspian_Rho

Only a minority of SWTOR players are actively posting messages in the official forum. Imo, we aren't representative at all of the whole SWTOR community in the game.

That being said, I think the forum community keeps evolving:

-We see less forum members who kept posting only hateful or off-topic messages because most of them left the forum and unsubscribed. I expect more of them leaving around July 2012 (6 months + 1 free month).

-We're more aware and used to the guideline and the rules than 5-6 months ago, so more and more threads stay civilized for a longer period of time. Receiving warnings doesn't hurt too.

-We keep reading more constructive and argumentative posts. The players had months to experience the game and are able to post in-depth analysis about their SWTOR experience. Yes, there are still complains but it's more structured.

-Very soon, we'll stop seeing those "server merges" threads (finally!) and more 1.4 + Expansion questions.

-We're starting to know each other more, to notice each other more.

In summary, the community here is quite good. It's way better than what I've experienced in some previous mmos.

Edited by Sammm

So far it's been a messy one. BIoware fanbois V Star Wars fanbois V WoW fanbois with the unexpecting newcomers jammed in the middle. Choose a faction... which are you??

You forgot the mysterious fourth faction, ex-SWG players, the sandbox fanbois!

You can pick all three if you like or redefine one I haven't included but some will be at odds with the other so prepare for people laughing at your contradictory stances.

There also is no issue defining community. The thread title is in what we're making not the defination. Really (and unfortunately), there is no definitive community around these parts. We have several warring factions.

That is exactly my point. I was trying to be ironic, but there you go. We have a problem defining community because there is no community on these boards to speak of. Even those who try to help out get shutdown for trying to help.

but... I digress before this turns into a factional war of words again.

Edited by Rafaman

Frankly i will say an amusing one. The forums are gold alone. I am one of those jammed in between (no fanboi) and fined the forums actually entertaining.

I tried beta liked it picked up the game and stuck with it. my first mmo and my experience has not been that good and i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. Huge mistakes/miscalculations have been made and add in arrogance all combined to what things are now.

Am i going to be here longer? Not sure on that, still have time left and will make that decision shortly.

That is exactly my point. I was trying to be ironic, but there you go. We have a problem defining community because there is no community on these boards to speak of. Even those who try to help out get shutdown for trying to help.

but... I digress before this turns into a factional war of words again.

Your irony wasn't so apparent. I'm not going to blame BW for the lack of community although they haven't enforced it with any game mechanics. Just looking at the way General chat was/is would destroy any community or attempt at building one. Couple that with the fact that a huge amount of problems drove people off... hasn't really left TOR with much of a chance in community stakes.

Bioware will keep milking it. Don't think they care who or what plays just as long as they keep the shirts happy.

Unfortunately when Bioware decided server specific forums were not important and did not create them...they prevented the spontaneous community building which normally takes place in MMO's to a large degree. Lack of organizational tools for the players easily access on this website slowed progress (other player created websites had to be created to provide this service) in planning server events, roleplaying events, guild recruitment...etc. Unfortunately, it may be too late for this to happen now....many of the players who played the beta and grew with the game from the beginning have lost faith and moved on....which I wil be doing soon as soon as my sub suns out. It is a shame Bioware seemingly believes they know thier players better than the players know themselves. A great opportunity to build on what SWG started......wasted...in my own humble opinion.

Unfortunately when Bioware decided server specific forums were not important and did not create them...they prevented the spontaneous community building which normally takes place in MMO's to a large degree. Lack of organizational tools for the players easily access on this website slowed progress (other player created websites had to be created to provide this service) in planning server events, roleplaying events, guild recruitment...etc. Unfortunately, it may be too late for this to happen now....many of the players who played the beta and grew with the game from the beginning have lost faith and moved on....which I wil be doing soon as soon as my sub suns out. It is a shame Bioware seemingly believes they know thier players better than the players know themselves. A great opportunity to build on what SWG started......wasted...in my own humble opinion.

Personally and in my experience I believe the community is created on the servers then spills out on to the forums, not the other way around.