Stats and How They Work

Daellia

Actually, doesn't even matter. My thought had been if you got enough alacrity to get 4 channeled ticks of innervate instead of 3 that's an extra chance to proc a Force Surge, but that would take 33% haste which is ridiculous. So it doesn't help with that, and I don't think it increases your regen rate, either. Finally, by decreasing the duration of Resurgence it hurts your ability to pre-HoT people before a big aoe damage spike. So yeah Alacrity seems pretty terrible for healing too.

I'd say crit until you have a reasonable chance of proccing FS every Innervate, then Power. Surge is meh and Alacrity is bad. Does that sound right for healing throughput?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corruption Sorc here. Q about alacrity...in WoW haste would give you extra ticks on HoTs at certain haste plateau levels. So you get like 916 haste rating and your Riptide HoT ticks 8 times over 21 seconds instead of 7.

My understanding in SWTOR is alacrity makes your HoT do its healing over less time. So a zero alacrity 9s resurge healing for X damage would heal still for X damage but over 6.3s instead with 30% alacrity, right?

Alacrity has no effect whatsoever on DoTs and HoTs.

Interesting. I'm in full champion (force master) gear with the exception of the Lightsaber, I also use mastercraft implants and earpiece with surge augments. My crit chance is virtually identical to yours, but my crit multiplier is 89.53% and my bonus damage is 568.9 (getting the champion lightsaber will close this gap significantly.

My thinking is take the average dmg of chain lightning from my tooltip 1387.5 + my bonus damage 568.9 and that is 1956.4, yours would be 1387.5 + 630.5 and that is 2018. So you are getting 50 more average damage on non-crits.

Now for multiplier your 2018 with a 73.38% multiplier gives you 3498.8 average crit, and my 1956.4 with a 89.53 multiplier is 3707.9 over a 200 point difference on crits.

I'm going to try to keep increasing my crit and surge to see where the DR are just no longer worth it and hopefully get the champ lightsaber soon.

My gear is a mix-and-match of champion, tionese, and orange gear.

Also, note that Chain Lightning's tooltip is wrong, it uses the incorrect base value. However, it does update for your Force Bonus already.

On that note, the DR for Surge becomes excessively punative at around 40%. For crit, it's around 15%.

Actually, doesn't even matter. My thought had been if you got enough alacrity to get 4 channeled ticks of innervate instead of 3 that's an extra chance to proc a Force Surge

Innervate already ticks 4 times, at time intervals 0, 1, 2, and 3 seconds from cast.

I'd say crit until you have a reasonable chance of proccing FS every Innervate, then Power. Surge is meh and Alacrity is bad. Does that sound right for healing throughput?

You need all of ~5% crit from rating (which takes about 120 rating) to reach 30% baseline. That gives you a 94% chance per Force-Bending-buffed Innervate to proc Force Surge. That's plenty. Surge on the other hand is actually pretty amazing for healing output until you hit around 225 rating. The theorycrafting I did on it in other thread suggested 150 Alacrity, 150 Crit, 225 Surge, then start stacking Power, increasing Alacrity, Crit, and Surge by about 10 each for every 100 Power you add.

On that note, the DR for Surge becomes excessively punative at around 40%. For crit, it's around 15%.

That's pretty much where I was going to stop with surge, but I thought crit would scale well until around 20% based on what I saw on your graph. I'll be tweaking endlessly to see what suits me best, but so far I'm happy.

Interesting. I'm in full champion (force master) gear with the exception of the Lightsaber, I also use mastercraft implants and earpiece with surge augments. My crit chance is virtually identical to yours, but my crit multiplier is 89.53% and my bonus damage is 568.9 (getting the champion lightsaber will close this gap significantly.

Are you still missing the champion implants or did you decide to go without them? I understand that expertise is a mandatory stat in PvP of course, but mastercraft implants seem to have way better stats otherwise considering how useful crit and surge is instead of useless alacrity.

Ive been stacking expertise any way I possibly can even using few crap centurion parts, but then I've lost alot of surge and crit chance because of that. And should I buy an epic enhancement from Ilum and put a crit & surge one on my champion chest instead of power and alacrity? Because I still have power and alacrity on some parts.

Also very useful thread, deserves a sticky for sure. Going to put it on my bookmarks for now :)

Edited by PalawaJoko

Are you still missing the champion implants or did you decide to go without them? I understand that expertise is a mandatory stat in PvP of course, but mastercraft implants seem to have way better stats otherwise considering how useful crit and surge is instead of useless alacrity.

Ive been stacking expertise any way I possibly can even using few crap centurion parts, but then I've lost alot of surge and crit chance because of that. And should I buy an epic enhancement from Ilum and put a crit & surge one on my champion chest instead of power and alacrity? Because I still have power and alacrity on some parts.

Also very useful thread, deserves a sticky for sure. Going to put it on my bookmarks for now :)

I have the implants and earpiece I just think that they are a little lackluster compared to the epic crafted ones, especially the masterwork ones for the augment slot. Once I get the rest of my gear tailored with the mods that I want I might swap back to the champion ones for the expertise.

Most likely I will just use the crafted until I can get the Battles Master ones, at least the implants. I wish they offered real selection in the pvp gear and didn't force so much alacrity on us.

The whole Power and Force power thing kinda seems odd, but only in this case

In biochem we can make a purple Reusable adreanls

Attack Adrenal: increases power by 563 for 15 secs with 3min CD

Triage: increase Force power/Tech power by 563 but reduces dmg delt by 50% for 15 secs 3 min CD.

If they are identical why wouldnt a healer just use the attack adrenal so that their dmg isnt decreased in cases of pvp or w/e else.

Seems kinda wonky to me.

I realize the calculations are correct i just dont see why they even put the force/tech power into game if just regular ole power does bascially the same thing. Unless it affects other classes differently than SI sorcs.

Triage: increase Force power/Tech power by 563 but reduces dmg delt by 50% for 15 secs 3 min CD.

If they are identical why wouldnt a healer just use the attack adrenal so that their dmg isnt decreased in cases of pvp or w/e else.

Seems kinda wonky to me.

I realize the calculations are correct i just dont see why they even put the force/tech power into game if just regular ole power does bascially the same thing. Unless it affects other classes differently than SI sorcs.

Edit: looks like this was answered in another post. >.> Nva mind :D

In beta, the Force Power (-damage) one provided significantly more Force Power (around 700-800, iirc). This was apparently changed late in the beta, and their QA department missed the ridiculousness of having both items. I suspect it'll be cleaned up in their waves of bug fixes and such over the next few months.

That said, Power does work slightly differently for other classes. For a Sorcerer, 100% of our damage comes from Force abilities. Other classes generally mix two types (melee/force or tech/ranged). For example, a Lethality Operative uses predominantly tech attacks, but has Rifle Shot and Overload Shot as Ranged. A Deception Assassin uses both Melee (Maul, Voltaic Slash, Saber Slash) and Force (Discharge, Surging Charge, Shock). Power affects all 4 damage bonuses at the same time, while Force Power only affects Force Bonus.

Other that that adrenal, I know of no ways to directly gear for Force Power, as on gear Force Power is simply an intrinsic derivative of Weapon Rating/Power Rating. In that light, it can be thought of as "weapon damage" for non-weapon attacks.

@OP: nice guide but what about the Presence stat?

If that gets added as well then I vote for sticky.

Presence only affects your companions, and thus is useless outside of soloing. There are also precious few ways to actually increase it, and essentially universally it's better to increase any of your other stats instead. This is why I didn't include it, because it basically gets ignored.

My thinking is take the average dmg of chain lightning from my tooltip 1387.5 + my bonus damage 568.9 and that is 1956.4, yours would be 1387.5 + 630.5 and that is 2018. So you are getting 50 more average damage on non-crits.

Now for multiplier your 2018 with a 73.38% multiplier gives you 3498.8 average crit, and my 1956.4 with a 89.53 multiplier is 3707.9 over a 200 point difference on crits.

I'm going to try to keep increasing my crit and surge to see where the DR are just no longer worth it and hopefully get the champ lightsaber soon.

Exactly my thinking. Ive gone both ways, stacking power which decreases your crit/surge and stacking crit/surge and less power. At the moment, crit/surge is a lot better than power. At close to 90% surge and 40% crit, the damage increase when you do get a crit (which is quite often) is miles ahead of power in the long run.

Exactly my thinking. Ive gone both ways, stacking power which decreases your crit/surge and stacking crit/surge and less power. At the moment, crit/surge is a lot better than power. At close to 90% surge and 40% crit, the damage increase when you do get a crit (which is quite often) is miles ahead of power in the long run.

This is actually pretty wildly wrong (and nearly impossible to boot). Top-tier Rakata gear gives nearly exactly 1600 Willpower, buffed by 6% from talents and 5% from stats gives roughly 1750 WP. That's about 11.3% crit. You get 5% baseline and another 5% from raid buffs. That leaves you 18.7% short of 40%, which would take 650 crit rating. 90% surge would take 400 rating. That's 1050 rating, and the Rakata set only has about 1150 secondary rating on it.

So assuming you actually have full Rakata, that leaves you 100 Power (assuming zero Alacrity). Here are the potential stats:

Willpower: 1750 (buffed)

Force Power: 1217 (136 rating saber and Rakata offhand)

Power: 100

Crit Rating: 650

Surge Rating: 400

Alacrity Rating: 0

Total Secondary Stats: 1150

Force Bonus: 685.55

Crit Chance: 40.07%

Crit Multiplier: 90.07%

Activation Speed: 0.00%

Now lets take a nice easy direct-damage spell to calculate: Lightning Strike. Lightning Strike does damage equal to 213 + 132% of Force Bonus, with a base 1.5 second cast time. Average damage would be:

213 + 1.32*685.55 = 1118

Including crits:

1118 * (1 + (0.4007 * 0.9007)) = 1521

Now let's try a bit more balanced gearset:

Willpower: 1750 (buffed)

Force Power: 1217 (136 rating saber and Rakata offhand)

Power: 550

Crit Rating: 250

Surge Rating: 350

Alacrity Rating: 0

Total Secondary Stats: 1150

Force Bonus: 794.23

Crit Chance: 30.75%

Crit Multiplier: 87.84%

Average damage would be:

213 + 1.32*794.23 = 1261

Including crits:

1261 * (1 + (0.3075 * 0.8784)) = 1602

That's a 5.3% damage increase on that spell, just from having more balanced (and more Power-oriented) stats.

Isn't accuracy a decent stat in PvE before level 50 and to some extent World PvP before level 50. Or do Tech / Force attacks have a 100% chance to hit even a much higher level target...?

So accuracy is useless for sorcs, even in pvp?

So the default advice of getting to 110% is wrong?

What "default advice" is that? How much acceracy you need depend on what attacks your character use (Melee, Ranged, Tech or Force).

Some classes depend 100% (or close to 100%) on melee or ranged attacks. Marksman Sniper is a good example of that. All attacks have a 10% base chance to miss and all attacks chance to miss is increased by target defensive stats. You would want to have MORE than +10% accuracy if you play a Marksman Sniper.

Some classes depend 100% on force or tech attacks. Sorcerer (or non-lethality Operative) is a good example of that. All your attacks have a 100% base chance and all attacks chance to miss ignore target defensive stats. Anything over +0% accuracy is waste.

Edited by Xenon-se

Isn't accuracy a decent stat in PvE before level 50 and to some extent World PvP before level 50. Or do Tech / Force attacks have a 100% chance to hit even a much higher level target...?

Arguable, really. You could stack a bit, but so long as you're not trying to take on mobs 3-4 levels above you, you really shouldn't see much need for it.

Some classes depend 100% (or close to 100%) on melee or ranged attacks. Marksman Sniper is a good example of that. All attacks have a 10% base chance to miss and all attacks chance to miss is increased by target defensive stats. You would want to have MORE than +10% accuracy if you play a Marksman Sniper.

Actually, only "basic" melee and ranged attacks have the base 90% accuracy. "Special" melee and ranged attacks have a base 100% accuracy. According to the game files, the only attacks not labeled "special" are the free attacks such as Rifle Shot and Saber Slash. Boss targets are theorized to only have 10% defensey (though tests are still being done on this. WTB a combat log!), so 10% accuracy would be sufficient to cap special attacks. Accuracy after that would only affect your free attack, which even if you do use it (and a lot of classes by 50 don't need to anymore), it is certainly not a priority to cap the additional 10%.

haya

Im sorcerer 48lvl atm

And i though (if correct) that the sorcerer main stat for DMG is Willpower.

But yesterday some guys on shard spoke, that the "power" stat make more DMG for sorcerer.

SO how is it? :)

Well, it depends on how you look at it and your current gear. Power provides more raw "Bonus Damage" than Willpower (0.23 from Power compared to 0.2 from Willpower). However, Willpower has two things that help its benefit: it provides crit as well, and it gets a 5% boost from buffs.

To break it down, 1 Willpower will actually give you 1.05 Willpower (due to Mark of Power), which will then give you 0.20*1.05 = 0.21 Bonus Damage, which is further augmented by 5% (from Unnatural Strength) to give you 0.20*1.05*1.05 = 0.2205 Bonus Damage per Willpower. However, we also get 6% Willpower from talents (which is additive with Mark of Power), making this 0.20*(1.05 + 1.06)*1.05 = 0.2331 Bonus Damage per Willpower.

Power only gains the 5% boost from Unnatural Strength, giving it a boost of 0.23 * 1.05 = 0.2415 Bonus Damage per Power.

Thus Power gives you about 3.6% more Bonus Damage per point with full buffs (compared to the 15% more it gives you baseline). Now factor in the crit you gain from Willpower as well. How much crit chance you get depends on your current Willpower, but for most values at 50 can be approximated by 1% per raw 150 Willpower you have (accurate within 0.5% crit for 1200-1800 Willpower). Thus each point of power gives you 0.2415 Bonus Damage and each point of Willpower gives you 0.2331 Bonus Damage and ~0.0074% crit. Whether 0.0074% crit is worth more than 0.0084 Bonus Damage depends on gear, but in most situations is the case.

In other words, in most gearsets, Willpower's value trumps Power's by a few percent (for DPS sorcs).

Edited by Daellia

I have a question : does bonus crit damage talents stack with Surge thus going over 100% ?

Yes, they stack additively. Say, for example, you have 40% Surge from rating (about 400 Rating) and 5 points in Reverberating Force (T6 Lightning). Your Thundering Blast, Chain Lightning, and Affliction would deal 150% + 40% + 50% = 240% of normal damage on a crit. Critical Multiplier doesn't have a cap, just Surge Rating.

Edited by Daellia