Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

I don't even understand the criticism from way back then, about DA2. I mean, if somebody (Anders in the case of DA2) is hitting on you and you don't like them, and you turn them down, why do you even care if they give you negative points toward them? Obviously DA2 and SWTOR are different games, but when I was playing as my JK I hated my female JK being repeatedly hit on by 'doc', and I enjoyed it when my responses earned me negative points from him, it meant my responses were having the intended effect. Just like I always liked it when my negative responses to his comments got me positive points from Kira, it meant she was jealous of him and was happy my JK was turning him down, she was keeping my JK all to herself :) . I like the positive/negative system the way it is, it works really well. We just need to be able to actually enjoy the romances that we want to enjoy, and all is good.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I disliked about Anders hitting on me was that I was forced to sound so harsh and judgmental in order to reject him. Would have been nice if I could have said something along the lines of "I'm flattered, but not interested."

'SWTOR companions will have same-sex romance options... eventually', Brianna Royce, Editor-in-Chief for Massively.com/Joystiq, 2011-09-13

In a statement on the forums, SWTOR Senior Online Community Manager Stephen Reid posted the following:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature.

'Old Republic devs to segregate same gender relationships to one gay planet', GlobalPost, 2013-01-15

“I realize that we promised [same-gender relationships] to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play,”

wrote executive producer Jeff Hickman in a post to a developers' blog.

I am happy with "Soon™" as long as it's within the next year or so...

Yeah, sure we "believed", you make it sound like we are the ones at fault for trusting you. :/

That's also an out and out lie, we were promised it would be worked on post game launch in 2011, so the changes to make it Free to Play by definition aren't what delayed it, it's "everything/ANYTHING else up to and including cartel market ugly weasel pets". :/ Marketingspeak I know, but come on, we aren't idiots. :/

( why are there no actual cute pets either, I know kittens exist in star wars because I checked... I want a kitten that sits on my shoulder and goes "mew" when you click on it, awwh. )

The issue is that most of us will have completed the game storyline (well those of us who haven't already even!) by then so the whole thing misses a lot of context/point... I'm not sure how they can do it effectively for people who are 50 later, maybe some kind of code that allows you to reset ALL your companion conversations ever and replay them from the start in one go could be pretty cool.

Tell me Kaliyo is /meant/ to be straight, /realllllllly/... :p

(hold down CTRL and click links to open them in tabs and bypass the popup warning spam)

imageshack.us/a/img402/6702/swtor2013020110373858.png

imageshack.us/a/img705/5793/swtor2013020110375446.png

imageshack.us/a/img853/1993/swtor2013020113371167.png

... I'm still annoyed that they did similar to Jack in Mass Effect 2, if there had been any "SGR" post-FoxNews, I think she rightfully was bi realllllly...

Edited by SelinaK

The only thing I disliked about Anders hitting on me was that I was forced to sound so harsh and judgmental in order to reject him. Would have been nice if I could have said something along the lines of "I'm flattered, but not interested."

True.

I think SWTOR does pretty good with this.

Since SirGladiator mentioned Doc, I'll use him as an example. From what I've seen, there's a 'nice' way to turn him down or a 'not so nice' way. While both may net you negative affection, there is an option to not sound harsh about it.

Since SirGladiator mentioned Doc, I'll use him as an example. From what I've seen, there's a 'nice' way to turn him down or a 'not so nice' way. While both may net you negative affection, there is an option to not sound harsh about it.
I dislike this whole "turning someone down will net you neg affection" thing. I found it quite strange that in DA-O, I had to turn down Morrigan because apparently I had started a romance with her without my knowing (strange thing in itself, because I don't remember ever hitting on her). She kind of shrugged it off and I got -15 affection. She didn't even mind us 'breaking up', so that -15 was kind of silly.

Being friends is good, so once in a while people will have to be turned down. What's wrong with that? You can't fall in love with everybody, after all. It should at least net you positive affection once in a while, for being honest with a friend.

So, another idea on how to implement SGR with companions came to mind! It's quick and dirty, some may not like it one bit (maybe a lot).

NEW SKINS for companions that turn them into the opposite gender. But what about the voices? Have some people in the office stand up and do some voice acting.

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but on this one I actually agree with you. I have a femConsular Lv50 that I played just for the heck of it, before I even knew that SGR would be coming. Once SGR is in, I don't think I'm gonna play her anymore, since I'd then prefer to play male chars.

It would be a shame to lose her though for her crew skills and equip and all, so (typing this out, it sounds crazy, but alas...) having the ability to turn her into a guy would be cool. I could live with affection loss with current companions, but having her take a spot on my char list without her getting played again is kind of sad.

Edited by Lent_San

I dislike this whole "turning someone down will net you neg affection" thing. I found it quite strange that in DA-O, I had to turn down Morrigan because apparently I had started a romance with her without my knowing (strange thing in itself, because I don't remember ever hitting on her). She kind of shrugged it off and I got -15 affection. She didn't even mind us 'breaking up', so that -15 was kind of silly.

Being friends is good, so once in a while people will have to be turned down. What's wrong with that? You can't fall in love with everybody, after all. It should at least net you positive affection once in a while, for being honest with a friend.

I don't really have an issue with it. You are doing something that's seen as negative by them, even if they understand where you're coming from. Plus, you can still continue on as friends afterwards. Though, it might make sense for some characters to give a positive affection gain as you said.

I don't really have an issue with it. You are doing something that's seen as negative by them, even if they understand where you're coming from. Plus, you can still continue on as friends afterwards. Though, it might make sense for some characters to give a positive affection gain as you said.

Well, we had Isabela in DA2. I really liked the conversation between her and my Hawke when I decided to pursue Merrill instead.

I think negative affection for dumping someone makes total sense. They want you, you tell them no, they're butthurt. Seems fine and it drives up the immersion a lot for me.

As for Morrigan, the conclusion I came to immediately when I saw that -15 drop was that she clearly digs you but doesn't want to admit it. And it IS Morrigan. She'd rather die than show weakness, especially to a man.

One of the stranger exceptions to turning someone down and actually getting positive affection:

When you tell Temple that she's more important than Kaliyo, you get +15 affection from Kaliyo (as long as you don't pick the "she's crazy" option). On the other hand, if you tell Temple that Kaliyo's more important, she gives you -1 affection. I always thought that was funny, lol.

The one thing that I liked the best about the whole 'turning Doc down' thing, is the way it GAINS you points with Kira. The jealousy thing is such a nice touch, especially since my character is female and thus not actually allowed to romance her, its really about the only way Kira is allowed to show her romantic interest in my female JK. That type of thing, comments regarding one character having effect on another, is something there should be more of, its really cool. Going way WAY back to the days of JE, you could toy with Silk Fox by pretending you were interested in Sky, and of course in NWN2 how Neeshka was always so jealous of the elf-girl (even if your character was female, which obviously was the key point of the coolness) . The whole jealousy thing, thats definitely something they should keep, and expand on in the future. Its a lot of fun, and it really shows your character that they care :) .

One of the stranger exceptions to turning someone down and actually getting positive affection:

When you tell Temple that she's more important than Kaliyo, you get +15 affection from Kaliyo (as long as you don't pick the "she's crazy" option). On the other hand, if you tell Temple that Kaliyo's more important, she gives you -1 affection. I always thought that was funny, lol.

I think that's part of her "no attachment" schtick - like how picking Leliana over Morrigan in DA:O only gets a Morrigan disapproves if you pick the "I hope nobody's hurt by this" option, but the others are fine.

(Friend gave me a time-card, so came back for a look-around... I can't even say I'm overly surprised by the "hey, banging some local while on shore leave is the same as a romance arc, right?" cop-out approach they're going with. Just disappointed, I guess.)

(Friend gave me a time-card, so came back for a look-around... I can't even say I'm overly surprised by the "hey, banging some local while on shore leave is the same as a romance arc, right?" cop-out approach they're going with. Just disappointed, I guess.)

One can assume that either Bioware is with the detractors in thinking romances only involve the fade-to-black or that they had originally made all of the Makeb [Flirt]s for straight characters, then at the last minute made them available to LGB characters because "oh yeah, that's a thing".

Here's Mr. Gonzalez confirming that these won't be full-blown romance options. So if you want companion romances, come back in a year or three.

One can assume that either Bioware is with the detractors in thinking romances only involve the fade-to-black or that they had originally made all of the Makeb [Flirt]s for straight characters, then at the last minute made them available to LGB characters because "oh yeah, that's a thing".

Here's Mr. Gonzalez confirming that these won't be full-blown romance options. So if you want companion romances, come back in a year or three.

Why assume they only made SGR Flirts as a last minute thing with Makeb? Not to say they did or didn't, but for a company that's come out and admited "Yeah, didnt happen due to time and money" with the companions in the main game, then said SGR flirts will be in Makeb, and knowing the company has had SGR in previous games, why would you automatically think "Oh, yeah, that's a thing."

Especially after the thread was detracted with other BW games instead of keeping focused on TOR, talking about how BW allows it in all their other games.

I think it was less a last minute thing, and more a "We dont have the time or money to go back and change companions, but we can add this here to throw a bone to the two percent of the player base who actually cares if this is added or not"

Now the hope we can nurture is those flrts will be actually flirtatious. I played Vette's romance with my warrior and some of them were like "hu? is that flirting ?"

It'll be funny, in a tragic way, if all the raging, crying, doomandgloom saying about swtor, resources, priorities and sssstuff is over a few "[Flirt] Hello" and "[Flirt] Thank you, hope to see you soon"

Now the hope we can nurture is those flrts will be actually flirtatious. I played Vette's romance with my warrior and some of them were like "hu? is that flirting ?" "

I kind of suspect that some of the lines there are the same thing a female SW would say....only difference is that the male version is marked with a [flirt] and switches a romance flag on.

On the flip side, I've seen some flirty dialog unmarked (though this is rare).

like, when the female SW can proposition Vette's sister during one of her companion quests.

Edited by stuffystuffs

like, when the female SW can proposition Vette's sister during one of her companion quests.

When Vette romance eventually actually gets put in the game, they need to add the line "bored now" to one of the zaps, hehe

"

"

"In my world we have people in chains and we can ride them like ponies"

imdb.com/title/tt0533415/quotes?qt0423078

Willow: It's horrible. That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil, and skanky... (softly) and I think I'm kinda gay.

Buffy: Willow, just remember, a vampire's personality has nothing to do with the person it was.

Angel: Well, actually...

[pauses as Willow and Buffy look at him]

Angel: That's a good point.

Edited by SelinaK

sadly I'm afraid we all know the answer to that one. :/

Since we cant see others romance on this game that should make it clear as day to any conspiracy or judgement you have on some people but of course you wont adress this will you. As much as people dislike being called a slur people do not like being branded or acussed of being a bad person when they are not. All threads FOR and AGAINST this should just be shut down and not allowed period. Time to be fair . come on Mr. Gonzales this is a game please just get any opinion of this off the boards its just distracting or push it to suggestion box. This is like beating a dead horse it has become to people who don't know anything about this game as there only point of reference to it this is what the game is known for to the layman. It needs to be a game again this problem was fixed and being added more in the future why even have a thread going. Again NO ONE WILL EXPERIENCE YOUR ROMANCE ARC so stop calling people out and stop allowing people to be called out on what ever what position they choose. Use facts people not emotion.

Edited by Jiminison

Hm, doesn't seem plausible to me. I go with the overall "dang, we should have put it in at launch, what can we do instead that's not too time & and money-consuming" explanation. I do expect more to come though. Flirting is good for starters, but one to three years for romances?..... Naw. Don't wanna wait that long.

I think it was less a last minute thing, and more a "We dont have the time or money to go back and change companions, but we can add this here to throw a bone to the two percent of the player base who actually cares if this is added or not"
There you go again, making up numbers. Opinions are fine and all, but I'd like my numbers factual, and not made up. The rest I could agree with.

Hm, doesn't seem plausible to me. I go with the overall "dang, we should have put it in at launch, what can we do instead that's not too time & and money-consuming" explanation. I do expect more to come though. Flirting is good for starters, but one to three years for romances?..... Naw. Don't wanna wait that long.

I do not have high expectations for how fast they can roll out this content, considering that despite SWTOR supposedly being story based, the majority of content and developer discussion has been aimed solely at PvE/PvP (yes, story does have a long lead time, but if we put RP'ers into the "story interested" group, I shouldn't imagine that chairs have a long lead time).

It's already been stated that SGR [Flirt]s are 50+ content, so I'm doom-and-glooming this to also mean that further romances will also be 50+ content because it will be easier for them to lump it in with other story content. You saw the backlash against Bioware from people being "concerned" over the inclusion of same-gender [Flirt]s in Makkeb, they're likely shying away from the idea of having a "gay companions" patch. I half expect further announcements along this line to buried in nonsensical patch notes and generally hidden from view, so as to avoid controversy on the boards and more "concern".

At this time, I don't mind if the "SGRAs" (like, actual romances and not flirts) are post 50 content when they eventually add that in.

I'm guessing they would go this route to avoid denying the content to those that have leveled toons (and they can say they are adding in 'fresh' content)