Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part II

CourtneyWoods

Ok, why do you make a big point of not letting people Pay To Win, and then add the ability to use cartel coins to move your Ship points to Fleet points to "twink" your ship. That's the exact thing you were trying to avoid?

That's pay to skip or pay to be lazy, other people can get to that point aswell, it'll just take some time. It's only Pay to Win if you're able to buy stats nobody else can get to in the game.

Ok, why do you make a big point of not letting people Pay To Win, and then add the ability to use cartel coins to move your Ship points to Fleet points to "twink" your ship. That's the exact thing you were trying to avoid?

Both Subscribers and F2P get Fleet Requisition. As stated in the post, a small amount of Ship Requisition earned in each battle will be converted into Fleet Requisition. Now those who want to speed up that process and convert a whole bunch of SR into FR can spend CC's to do so. It's more "Pay-To-Speed-Up" than "Pay-To-Win". Which is completely fair, in my opinion. I, for one, am very much looking forward to probably skipping work on Wednesday to play more SPvP. (Just kidding... probably...)

How's the game play? Can you use a joystick or are you stuck with w/a/s/d? I've been meaning to inquire about the current space missions. You are somewhat just along for the ride. Ticks me off when I get 3/4 the way through a mission and all of a sudden it feels as if you are shoved into an asteroid. Use to love space battles in SWG. You say true dogfighting, but do you really mean it?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but currently subscribers get more XP from ground game quests than non-subscribers. And anyone can buy a XP enhancement scroll with CC. Just like about every other MMO. Nor can you buy FR from thin air; you did have to play GS to earn the SR that were converted into FR.

Pay to grind less seems to me to be an acceptable monetization.

Actually that's anti-twinking.

You use ship requisition to buy fleet requisition(the point of which would be to buy ships).

So essentially you're trading ship upgrades into ships for a fee. Though its actually fairly fast to earn ships anyways. Regardless, given the same number of games played, you end up with more upgrades on a ship if you don't convert and buy new ships, then if you do convert and buy new ships.

Edited by Vandicus

Actually that's anti-twinking.

You use ship requisition to buy fleet requisition(the point of which would be to buy ships).

So essentially you're trading ship upgrades into ships for a fee. Though its actually fairly fast to earn ships anyways. Regardless, given the same number of games played, you end up with more upgrades on a ship if you don't convert and buy new ships, then if you do convert and buy new ships.

But you can also use fleet req to upgrade ship systems, so if I convert the req from ship A to fleet,

and use that fleet req to upgrade my systems on ship B, that would be the twinking part.

That's actually important to note: if you try to upgrade a ship system, and can't pay all with that ship's req,

the rest of the cost will be paid with fleet req.... So be careful, y'all, when upgrading your ships.

I don't get the problem from F2P and P2P, we pay for the game so we should get more out of it. I'm tired of people complaining because we get more because we pay. you should get what you pay for and if your not paying then you shouldn't get certain perks. Don't be ungrateful because your not contributing.

This...

I don't get the problem from F2P and P2P, we pay for the game so we should get more out of it. I'm tired of people complaining because we get more because we pay. you should get what you pay for and if your not paying then you shouldn't get certain perks. Don't be ungrateful because your not contributing.

You mention you're against Pay-to-Win but use only Cartel Coins for currency exchanges.

Don't get me wrong, that's not 'winning', but it is an advantage.

I fully agree with having the blaster shot colors cost Cartel Coins, even the ships. I'd prefer credits, but I can deal with that. We're talking real game here, though. Actual mechanics, not just cosmetics.

TL;DR - I disapprove. I don't strongly disapprove, but I disapprove.

A few things...from my perspective only.

This is not ready. You do not have a fixed reticule, native joystick/gamepad control or "on foot" combat in capital ships like BF2. The upgrades were too powerful IMO by about 60 percent across the board, but you have a matchmaking system in place that may take care of that. That was a good move IMO.

I feel you guys squandered an opportunity here to maximize the appeal of the feature. That disappoints me, and I will be more than happy if I am wrong, but I do not expect this will have the widespread appeal with the casual majority playerbase like it should have had.

I wish you guys all the luck and success in the world. This may be my last post for a while.

Good luck and happy flying.

You are so wrong I don't know where to start, so:

1) EA/BW created the different "levels" -- Sub, Preferred, and F2P. It's their company, they chose which customers get which rights. As for-profit companies, I assume EA/BW is comfortable with the contributions made by their customers. So it's so not your business (literally) to tell people they are ungrateful and not contributing.

2) Currently, only Subs get to post in the Forums, so any complaints you may have heard here are by your Peers (capitalization intended, Your Majesty).

3) There are a lot of games that claim to be 'F2P' but are really P2W. Most 'complaints" I hear on these forums are from a fear that SWTOR might become P2W, not that it already is. Since many Subs (currently your paying Peers) intend to play this game for a while, and since the world is occasionally random and harsh, current Subs do have a legitimate interest in how the game works for F2P or Preferred as not everybody can predict what the future will bring. I.e., how a now-Sub will be treated in the future may affect a now-Sub's decision to renew (not cancel).

4) F2P and Preferred players arguably contribute just by playing -- do you like seeing empty planets? Do you like PVP, FPs, or OPs? Queue up for some and let us know if they always pop immediately, soon enough, or if you wish there were more people queued up and ready to play with you when you are ready. Or just check the relevant forums.

While I have nothing against subscribers increasing in power faster than no subscribers, i.e. those that pay to play will have an advantage over those that don't it seems odd to have made such a big deal of pay to win being bad and restrictions being bad. I pay money I will advance quicker than someone that doesn't pay so my ship will have a better load out than theirs with better crew skills. Surely that is pay to win even if there is nothing wrong with it you can't in one sentence say pay to win is bad and then say paying customers will have an advantage.

While I have nothing against subscribers increasing in power faster than no subscribers, i.e. those that pay to play will have an advantage over those that don't it seems odd to have made such a big deal of pay to win being bad and restrictions being bad. I pay money I will advance quicker than someone that doesn't pay so my ship will have a better load out than theirs with better crew skills. Surely that is pay to win even if there is nothing wrong with it you can't in one sentence say pay to win is bad and then say paying customers will have an advantage.

The difference between subscribing and P2W is that there are only two levels: Subscribed, and not subscribed. You paid, and you're progressing faster than someone who isn't, but the difference is that with P2W there are unlimited levels. You might pay $100 a day to level your ships quickly, but someone else has more money and is paying $500 a day and pounding you out of the sky. Suddenly it's no longer a game about ships and fun, it's a gauge of how loaded you are in real life. That's the difference.

Strict P2W would be just having one bracket and whoever has more bling on their ship pretty much wins. If it's properly bracketed, which appears to be the GS goal, then paying just gets you to higher brackets faster and in/with a wider variety of ships. In any given bracket (regardless of how you got there), the fights would be presumably (gear-wise) close.

Note that in a bracketed system, "free' players technically have an advantage, as they presumably stay in each bracket longer, and thus have more experience using the tools available at that bracket.

How's the game play? Can you use a joystick or are you stuck with w/a/s/d? I've been meaning to inquire about the current space missions. You are somewhat just along for the ride. Ticks me off when I get 3/4 the way through a mission and all of a sudden it feels as if you are shoved into an asteroid. Use to love space battles in SWG. You say true dogfighting, but do you really mean it?

I'd also like to know about this. Are we actually going to be able to fight? Like we were able to in Battlefront or are we just in for a ride to click for 5 minutes? I want to be able to blast away whoever I want whenever I want. I want Dogfights.

The article mentions "Galactic Starfighter Pass Holders". What is that?

It's Probably going to be similar to passes we have now. like weekly war zone passes and all that. F2P players will probs be limited to a certain amount of matches per week unless they have a pass.

As for Subscribers receiving more req per match I dont think it is an unfair advantage or p2w. There has to be some benefit for paying 15$ a month. and its not like f2p players cant earn the same amount of req.... They just have to work a little harder for it. Yeah subscribers will advance slightly faster than non subscribers but at least there wont be exclusive Subscriber only gear, abilities, or perks. You guys are complaining about a little bonus req when it could be something thats really unfair.

Edited by Rotaruc

Per http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter:

STARFIGHTER PASSES

As a Preferred Status Player or a Free-to-Play player, you can purchase weekly or monthly Starfighter Passes from the Cartel Market for faster leveling and progression beginning January 14, 2014. For Subscribers, maximum leveling and progression is included as a Subscriber benefit.

F2P and Pref have no limitation on # of games per week, the Pass just lets them level up at the same speed as a Sub. I'm assuming we won't see actual pricing until non-Subs can play, but I'd guess a month of passes would be cheaper than a full Sub.

Edited by eartharioch

"free' players technically have an advantage, as they presumably stay in each bracket longer, and thus have more experience using the tools available at that bracket.

An interesting way to look at it, but you could always make another level 1 character to stay in a bracket longer. The players in each 'bracket' are probably going to have about the same skill level, just better gear. I also wouldn't consider it a real 'bracket' system, anyways. It's not like "if you have spent X amount of ship requisition on this character, but not Y amount, you are in bracket 2". It's probably similar, but I doubt you can definitively say "This character of mine is in bracket 2, this character is in 4" and so on.

I'd also like to know about this. Are we actually going to be able to fight? Like we were able to in Battlefront or are we just in for a ride to click for 5 minutes? I want to be able to blast away whoever I want whenever I want. I want Dogfights.

I don't understand how you would not know this. If you use the forums or the dev tracker, you likely use Dulfy or would have seen gameplay elsewhere. Or checked out the PTS? The answer to your question is 'yes', it's just the origin of your question that I find confusing.

An interesting way to look at it, but you could always make another level 1 character to stay in a bracket longer. The players in each 'bracket' are probably going to have about the same skill level, just better gear. I also wouldn't consider it a real 'bracket' system, anyways. It's not like "if you have spent X amount of ship requisition on this character, but not Y amount, you are in bracket 2". It's probably similar, but I doubt you can definitively say "This character of mine is in bracket 2, this character is in 4" and so on.

The devs said there was matchmaking, but didn't give specifics as to the weight given to gear or skill, but the key phrases I took from the article were:

We literally wanted to make the pool of players as large as possible, so everyone from level 1 to level 55 will queue together, taking into consideration how developed your ships are (yes, our matchmaking system will attempt to put beginning players with beginners, and more advanced players with each other—that’s the simple version).

What this game should be about is pitting your dogfighting skills against your enemies; how you strategize and use the environments to overcome the enemy; how you learn to use your abilities at the right time. Asking you to give us money in order to be more powerful and to gain an unfair advantage over an enemy undermines that desire.

and

Our philosophy here is that if a player puts in the time, it’s up to them how they use that time. If you want to spend Cartel Coins to upgrade one of your other ships, or to keep upgrading the ship you earned that Requisition on that’s your choice.

So, my understanding is that Mo$ (Sub, Pass, or CC) "just" gets you faster access to the full array of ships and upgrades GS has to offer.