Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

When you look on the server list and see heavy, light etc - it's relative to the number of players on that server. The US servers are 'super servers' and are much larger so when it shows as medium, it's still a lot more people than you'd get on gav when we show as heavy. "Heavy" for gav is more than 30 people on fleet. Heavy for the US servers is hundreds of people on the fleet. You go do black hole dailies on gav daragon and it's common to be the only person there. No way that would ever happen on any of the US servers.

Yeah, well what he said is still true... :(

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you look on the server list and see heavy, light etc - it's relative to the number of players on that server. The US servers are 'super servers' and are much larger so when it shows as medium, it's still a lot more people than you'd get on gav when we show as heavy. "Heavy" for gav is more than 30 people on fleet. Heavy for the US servers is hundreds of people on the fleet. You go do black hole dailies on gav daragon and it's common to be the only person there. No way that would ever happen on any of the US servers.

^this.

But 2.0 has seen an increase in population. I have been seeing ppl on my friends list that I have not seen for sometime. When i was on there was 100+ on the rep fleet aswell as 8 instances on Makeb, which is pretty good for Dalborra.

Hopefully many of these ppl will stay after the initial rush to play the new content dies off. But that will depend on BW, if they keep up their regular updates. We really need to see some 'new' FPs soon, I'm sure PvPers would like to see some WZs and I hope they don't take too long with the new guild perks they have hinted at.

Edited by ChuangTzu

The server merges need to happen ASAP. I'm not sure people notice, but the APAC servers are just awful and impossible to transfer into a mega server let alone carry a full load in it's current state, so in comparison to the US mega servers and even with the latency in mind, the US mega servers are better for all oceanic players.

Eagerly awaiting the opportunity to choose which US server to transfer to. An estimated date now would be nice.

^this.

But 2.0 has seen an increase in population. I have been seeing ppl on my friends list that I have not seen for sometime. When i was on there was 100+ on the rep fleet aswell as 8 instances on Makeb, which is pretty good for Dalborra.

Hopefully many of these ppl will stay after the initial rush to play the new content dies off. But that will depend on BW, if they keep up their regular updates. We really need to see some 'new' FPs soon, I'm sure PvPers would like to see some WZs and I hope they don't take too long with the new guild perks they have hinted at.

Although that is good it's still not enough to warrant a local server merge.

I just wish they would hurry up and give us a timeframe/set date

The server merges need to happen ASAP. I'm not sure people notice, but the APAC servers are just awful and impossible to transfer into a mega server let alone carry a full load in it's current state, so in comparison to the US mega servers and even with the latency in mind, the US mega servers are better for all oceanic players.

Eagerly awaiting the opportunity to choose which US server to transfer to. An estimated date now would be nice.

No, the US servers are NOT better for all Oceanic players.

People keep going on about how much less population a local server would still have after merging than a US server. But that's obviously not the only variable to consider. None of these people are considering other priorities or compromising population for elements of the game they're underrating such as high end ops where a quick response can determine if the whole group wipes or not. A large portion of those remaining at least on Master D are competitive PvP'ers, most of whom would feel the game is no longer worth playing at all once they can't be assured of doing the best they could in a single warzone.

I still think that all three servers together would give us a plenty enjoyable experience. Sure, the population would still be far less than a US server, but certainly it would be enough to attract other players from the APAC region (especially those who rolled on the US for even a mildly better population) let alone give us enough population to have a decent APAC server especially compared to what we've been playing with since numbers hit bottom so long ago. I play on the least populated server in the game and I along with plenty of others feel it's more playable than a US server. That's without the added population of the other two much more populated APAC servers.

Edited by Master_Reuben

Awful how? we have a far better community than on the US "super servers"

Impossible to transfer why? are you aware of something we are not?

And A us server is not better for me, having played on both therefore you all statement is incorrect.

You have already been told you can choose a server

You have already been told you can choose a server

We have? Where did it say this? As far as I'm aware, the servers are preselected. Dalborra = Harbinger, MDN = Bastion, Gav = Berg. Colony. Did I miss something somewhere?

We have? Where did it say this? As far as I'm aware, the servers are preselected. Dalborra = Harbinger, MDN = Bastion, Gav = Berg. Colony. Did I miss something somewhere?

I wanted to give an update on some things and answer some questions we have seen in the thread. First, one of the things we have seen multiple people suggest is that if we are going to merge the APAC servers into the NA West servers that we should give you the option to choose which NA West server you transfer to. Knowing that some APAC players have existing characters and Legacies on some NA West servers already, we agree. When we open free transfers we will allow you one time transfer from your current APAC server to any one of the NA West servers. Note: The actual server merges themselves will still happen based on server type, so once we open transfers make sure you move all of your characters to the server you want before the merge happens.

From: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6061872#post6061872

okay ... so the expansion has been rolled out and folks are busy chewing thru 5 new levels, a new planet and new side quests ... an E.T.A on the transfer from the Oceanic to the N.A. servers for those of us having to deal with low pop. issues on a daily basis right about now will be just swell and well :)

I play on the least populated server in the game and I along with plenty of others feel it's more playable than a US server.

The thing is we 've been playing even thoe the population was so low..... it goes to show how much we actually enjoy this game. A merger of one APAC server is ideal in my opinion.

Edited by XXFEZXX

Actually Harbinger is regularly showing full and crashing because it has the highest load and they want most of us dumped on it. Ping aside, for PVE, the West coast mega server is not even better than ours for West coast US players.

Actually Harbinger is regularly showing full and crashing because it has the highest load and they want most of us dumped on it. Ping aside, for PVE, the West coast mega server is not even better than ours for West coast US players.

I do hope BW has the common sense to upgrade the server capacity before the merger, the last week alone has been pretty crapy with all the peeps coming back for 2.0

As an Australian this whole thing makes me sick.

First they delay the launch and now they kill off our servers.

On the support page with the numbers there isn't even a number for our part of the world, let alone Australia.

I like many others agree with you. This not what is best for us, it is what suits BW. If you have not already sign the petition, it is still slowly getting more sigs, upto 920 now.

No offense to anybody, but why do some think it's possible to merge all the APAC servers when Australian internet infrastructure is inferior to even hold up a full load (to US standards) for a single server? Heck, they're at burst when even hosting 64/64 Battlefield 3 servers. This isn't about server play types, we need to face the fact that Australia lacks the technology, and that this is not BW's fault.

No offense to anybody, but why do some think it's possible to merge all the APAC servers when Australian internet infrastructure is inferior to even hold up a full load (to US standards) for a single server? Heck, they're at burst when even hosting 64/64 Battlefield 3 servers. This isn't about server play types, we need to face the fact that Australia lacks the technology, and that this is not BW's fault.

Nice reasoning, the servers are fine stability wise. It's about having the population condensed into 1 server so there are more ppl to play with.

Oh and it's now 922 signatures on the petition.

i can play battlefield 3 on the aussie servers with no problems.

Hi Eric,

Can we please have some clarification regarding the APAC server transfer to US servers:

In one yellow post on this thread is was stated:

"We will then offer Free Character Transfers to anyone currently playing on an APAC server to a North American server of the same gameplay type, specifically:

Mastar Dar’Nala (PvP) will transfer to The Bastion (PvP)

Gav Daragon (RP-PvE) will transfer to Begeren Colony (RP-PvE)

Dalborra (PvE) will transfer to The Harbinger (PvE)"

On a later yellow post it was stated:

"One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types."

The question I would like to ask is will we get to choose which of the three transfer servers we can transfer to regardless of what type of server our characters are on currently. I for one am not interested in transferring my characters on Master Dar''Nala to the Bastion and would prefer they had the option of moving to Harbinger to join a guild with people in my time zone. A number of people have expressed this concern, can we please have the option to choose.

Your logic eludes me.

As I understand it the infrastructure is no different for most players regardless of where the server is. These arn't cloud based servers but are specifically held by an server hosting company based in North Sydney. The internet infrustructure for all Australian players is no different going from our homes to North Sydney than our homes to the fibreoptic trunk to the US.

Unless you are claiming that the three servers are housed in different locations as to avoid some feared bottleneck point at the entrance to North Sydney or the site building, there is no difference to the infrastructure between all APAC players on one server or three.

The two possibilities are:

1) That the hosting company lacks the hardware resources to host a superserver, which is exceptionally unlikely and no one has ever claimed.

2) That Bioware thinks that it will lose more players money long term by not offering the choice to be PVP flagged all the time on a PVP server over a turning it on yourself on a PVE server, than the degraded performance of having us play to US servers that are not prime time when we are, and laggy on a software design that does not handle lag as well as thier contemporaries.

The way that they lose players because of mismanagement, poor customer support, and bad PR, they are probably planning on number two for all servers world wide.

Those issues are Biowares 'fault'.

why can we not xfer to different server types?.. I already rerolled on harby once Master D was pretty much dead.. would like to bring my toons all together.. since there is no real world pvp anyway it doesn't bother me as it once did.