Are the Sith really Evil?

Mordegrus

Well, the Sith believe that the Force should only be taught to the strong, and the weak are not fit to use their incredible power. The Jedi believe that the power should be taught to everyone. That is one reason there were many Datk Jedi, because they just kept teaching them, and teaching them (the Jedi).

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Sith believe that the Force should only be taught to the strong, and the weak are not fit to use their incredible power. The Jedi believe that the power should be taught to everyone. That is one reason there were many Datk Jedi, because they just kept teaching them, and teaching them (the Jedi).

The sith also believe the weak should die or be enslaved. So yes, they are.

Edited by OldVengeance

If you are looking for the Answer given by George Lucas, the answer is yes they are evil. I've seen this thread enough times to at least remember that. Thanks to people such as the good ol' Professor Walsh.

However, if you are looking for our opinions and our arguments one way or the other, I will give you my opinion on the subject.

Actual Sith, those born into the culture, are no more evil than predatory animals. The Philosophies of the Sith mirror those of Natural Selection. The strong shall survive and rule over the weak while the weak are to be culled lest they weaken the whole. For them, it is THE way of life. It is all they have ever known.

Those that are not born into the culture yet seek it out are another story. Their intentions are what make them evil.

There are those that would argue the former of my two statements is false. They would argue that good and evil, right and wrong are not relative, that they are absolute and as such, even the Sith born into the culture are evil.

But then I would argue that there is no absolute authority on what is good or evil, right or wrong. There is only what we perceive as such. If we were to be born in a society where all citizens of this society subscribed to the Sith Philosophies, we would no longer view it as evil but the sad fact of life.

If the weak had "incredible power", they wouldn't be week. The Sith in this era require everyone who's Force sensitive to be trained as Sith. They're aren't exclusive about who they teach.

Greetings everyone!

We just wanted to thank you for an interesting discussion! We appreciate how constructive it is and since it is easy to do so, we want to give a small reminder to focus any religious or political aspects of the discussion as it relates to the Star Wars Universe versus real life.

We ask that if you see any posts that you feel are not in compliance with the Rules of Conduct, to please report them versus responding to them so our Community Team can investigate. This will keep the thread on-topic and constructive.

We look forward to your discussion!

Edited by Ellvaan

Greetings everyone!

We just wanted to thank you for an interesting discussion! We appreciate how constructive it is and since it is easy to do so, we want to give a small reminder to focus any religious or political aspects of the discussion as it relates to the Star Wars Universe versus real life.

We ask that if you see any posts that you feel are not in compliance with the Rules of Conduct, to please report them versus responding to them so our Community Team can investigate. This will keep the thread on-topic and constructive.

We look forward to your discussion!

Man, Bioware is really on top of moderating their forums.

But the Sith view themselves as working for the common good.

They are just establishing a rule that is only natural: the strong must rule the weak.

But the Jedi want everyone to be equal and fair.

This is why they have an eternal conflict with each other.

Evil is not a term that can be easilly defined. Neither is good. This is because there is truly no such thing as good and evil. A typical *good* person would not kill a murderer, but if he let that person live there is the chance that that murderer would just keep on killing. So if he kept that person alive would it not be evil. There is only right and wrong. Is it right to let a weak sith live and continue to scew up jobs causing the death of hundreds of people? Is it wrong to kill a person who could be a potential threat to the entire galaxy. Those are the types of questions you need to ask you self when talking about *good and evil* because really there is only right and wrong.

Evil is not a term that can be easilly defined. Neither is good. This is because there is truly no such thing as good and evil. A typical *good* person would not kill a murderer, but if he let that person live there is the chance that that murderer would just keep on killing. So if he kept that person alive would it not be evil. There is only right and wrong. Is it right to let a weak sith live and continue to scew up jobs causing the death of hundreds of people? Is it wrong to kill a person who could be a potential threat to the entire galaxy. Those are the types of questions you need to ask you self when talking about *good and evil* because really there is only right and wrong.

I think instead of saying right and wrong, as those are closely linked to good and evil, you should say Just and Unjust. Is it just to allow a murderer to go on living and have more opportunities to kill? Is it unjust to let one's strength and desire to live be his only saving grace?

But the Sith view themselves as working for the common good.

They are just establishing a rule that is only natural: the strong must rule the weak.

But the Jedi want everyone to be equal and fair.

This is why they have an eternal conflict with each other.

It's not really the "common good" if It's for the benefit of the strongest.

But the average Sith is the murderer. Powerful Sith are the ones who causes the death of hundreds of people. And the most powerful Sith are the ones who could be a potential threat to the entire galaxy.

Most Sith (not all) would do everything necessary to gain power. Now, here on earth people like that (Napoleon) wouldn't be called evil necessarily. But in fictional settings they are called evil.

The Empire he built would have whipped the Yuuzhan Vong, while the Republic he destroyed would have fallen to them.

True, he did have a force vision that the Yuuzhan Vong were coming, but I don't think he would have defended his empire to save the lives of others. He built his empire around himself, so being the emperor of course he would protect his own power. He wouldn't have easily given up his throne, and would have most likely sent waves upon waves of troops into a slaughter just to make sure he held his power.

With all their superweapons, the Empire probably would have defeated the Yuuzhan Vong, (Though since it never happened, I can't be sure) but it would have been more to selfishly hold power instead of save the galaxy. I wouldn't say him wanting to stay in total power so he can abuse and rule over the galaxy would be considered a redeeming quality.

This is exactly what I would say.

Morality is not based on good or bad, but the perspective you are viewing from.

His people were evil. All of them. And they started the wars with the Jedi. Every single time in history. Heck, seeing as the Sith Order were in hiding for the last 1000 years more sith were killed by other sith than by jedi. It's not really a sense of justice that motivates him, more like hatred and greed much as it did his predecessors. Edited by OldVengeance

Well, he was working for justice for his own people.

The Jedi wiped out his people.

I don't remember any moments him talking about avenging his fallen brothers, so if ya have any examples please share. :)

I always saw him wiping out the Jedi more of his way of eliminating any threats to his new empire, since the Jedi tend to mess up the Siths plans. I know he hated the Jedi just like any other Sith, but he never seemed like he killed them to bring justice. He still had the children killed, and sacraficed Dooku, his fellow Sith.

Ok, but we are not any different than the Sith.

We are greedy, and when we are very angry, we murder people.

So are we evil?

We restrain ourselves. At least, most of us. Sith do not.

I would say we are, well, partly evil. = sometimes we do evil = sometimes we act like Sith are encouraged to act

Edited by Maaruin

I'd think the ones who murder people and base their lives on anger and greed to the extent Sith do are.

How about this?

Is it evil for the Beta Wolf to challenge and kill the Alpha male to become the new Alpha?

Is it evil when a male lion challenges and kills the head of the pride to become the new head?

If you answered no to either of those, why is it evil for a Lesser Sith to challenge and kill a higher ranking Sith to take his position? Because Sith have the ability to speak? In all three scenarios there is a build up of tensions and there is a planning phase. All three challengers intend to kill the defender.

If you would like to say they murder people when they conquer planets, people die in war. Nobody is going to give up their home without a fight, some will not give up until you kill them. Conquering planets is essential to establishing an empire.

If you would like to say they murder their subordinates, Sith are the authority, therefore they are judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to meting out disciplinary actions for failures. The Sith act within the bounds of the laws of the Empire. If the Imperials did not want to suffer such fates, they could have chosen a different profession.

of course the sith are evil, i might have to change my sig to say something like this:

starwars is the ultimate battle between good and evil

if you can't work out which side is good and which is evil then either the writers are doing something really really wrong. or you just arn't that bright

of course the sith are evil, i might have to change my sig to say something like this:

starwars is the ultimate battle between good and evil

if you can't work out which side is good and which is evil then either the writers are doing something really really wrong. or you just arn't that bright

That is avoiding the question entirely. You're going the route of listening to what the author wants. Why not take a look at what you see in the Sith society and formulate your own opinion.

Look at the Sith Ambassadors in the novel Deceived. Or even Malgus, they are examples of Sith born in the Empire that know nothing else. They do not see how things should be any different than what they were raised to believe. They view the Jedi as heretics that pervert the Force just as the Jedi see the Sith. I hate using this as a reference because I really don't like the franchise but, it is like the Alliance and Horde of Warcraft. Neither side is more good or evil than the other. There are just the beliefs that each hold to.