INSANE prices on GTN

Tharandil

For the people saying they want more direct sale items from Bioware, sure that helps. But I for one would rather pay 100 million in game currency for something than real life $50. I just can't justify one prestige item costing anywhere near what the game cost in total.

I'd [MUCH] rather spend $50 on such an item; how many hours and how much electricity powering your computer/monitor would it cost to buy, say a Lightsaber Pike off the GTN?! For me, it's a no brainer.

Edited by Willjb

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd [MUCH] rather spend $50 on such an item; how many hours and how much electricity powering your computer/monitor would it cost to buy, say a Lightsaber Pike off the GTN?! For me, it's a no brainer.

I kinda agree with you but on the other hand paying 50 bucks for a lightsaber is also a bit out there considering the fact you can buy an entire game with that.

I get that cash shop items are generally priced higher but I have to draw the line at 20 bucks. I just can't explain the 50 bucks to myself. I have the money, but I feel it'd be crazy to buy it.

It's that pricing scheme of the CM, particulary with cartel packs that creates these crazy prices also because there is just a very low supply of a bunch of these items. I'm with you on that side though. I don't see myself grinding 200 million together for senya's lightsaber. I like it but not enough for such prices. If they sold it in the CM for 1800CC for example I would probably buy it.

There's just a small group of players that have billions of credits and they control the market. The few items that land in the GTN of such a lightsaber are snagged up by them and sold for high prices to people who can pay 100-200 million for an item and more importantly are willing to. This situation means that a lot of cool named items that a lot of people like for lore reasons and such are out of their reach. I think that is not a positive thing.

Personally I am lucky enough to have the weapons and armour sets I really want, but I can imagine for people who don't it can be really frustrating and take part of the fun away. I just generally feel that too many cool rewards come from the CM and hardly anything comes from in game sources. I think there needs to be a better balance there.

Been playing since launch, and have most of the CM stuff; and the Direct Sales are still definitely a saving grace, thank goodness for them.

I remember when the Defiant Vented Lightsaber came out and it took forever trying to get it through packs or buying it off the GTN. I FINALLY got it and it came out on Direct Sale down the road, but I wasn't bitter, the Direct Sales benefit us ALL.

Edited by Willjb

Been playing since launch, and have most of the CM stuff; and the Direct Sales are still definitely a saving grace, thank goodness for them.

I remember when the Defiant Vented Lightsaber came out and it took forever trying to get it through packs or buying it off the GTN. I FINALLY got it and it came out on Direct Sale down the road, but I wasn't bitter, the Direct Sales benefit us ALL.

yeah I have my price limit per item, but I most definitely prefer direct sales over gambling packs.

Depends how you make your credits, stuff all for me personally to get those credits.

With the general population dropping I've seen insane price differences among the servers.

It seems the least populated servers are the victims of the most outrageous prices on the gtn.

Several direct sales on the CM have had some effect but so far I haven't seen prices drop dramatically.

For example: Senya's pike (platinum) goes for around 138mil on the GTN. People seem to be greedy.

Has anyone ever bought an item that was clearly overpriced?

So far I've only bought Shae Vizla's armor for around 48mil and thought that was already steep for a cosmetic armor.

Im on JC and check on that item almost daily. The price as of yesterday evening was over 200 mill!

It may have increased to 70-80 million but credit availability also increased significantly so how much comparatively has the item increased in price?

For example, if you had to grind 20 hours for 10 million 2015 and 10 hours for 70 million now ... who cares?

Now if the rate you earned credits had never changed that would be a different story. Also, it's worth remembering there are a variety of ways to earn credits.

TRUTH! I see a lot of people saying that creds aren't easy to come by and its completely untrue! Level your crew skills/collect end game schems 240 and above, for instance, and CRAFT! I am by no means one of the richest people in this game or maybe even on my server, but I do quite well for myself. Crafting and selling those items plus "playing" the gtn does take up a lot of my in-game time but it is VERY easy to make creds in this game.

Of course they control the market, because every time someone offers an item for a reasonable price, they immediately buy it off, so that only their overpriced versions remain for sale. Through that they force others to also offer at too high prices.

Force their hand by listing your item for 95% of their price. If they want to remove it from the market, it will cost them money to buy it and relist it at their "normal" price, since they only get 94% of their listing price after the tax.

Or they leave your item alone, in which case they are giving up some control of the market.

Worst case, of course: they put their normal price up to make up for it. But even there, they have given up control of the price, a bit.

So perhaps not.

But they don't *force* anyone to offer at excessive prices. If I want to sell my item for 20% of the "controlled" price, I can do so. What they do, however, is force the buyers to pay the full "controlled" price unless a buyer gets to the 20% offer first.

Force their hand by listing your item for 95% of their price. If they want to remove it from the market, it will cost them money to buy it and relist it at their "normal" price, since they only get 94% of their listing price after the tax.

Or they leave your item alone, in which case they are giving up some control of the market.

Worst case, of course: they put their normal price up to make up for it. But even there, they have given up control of the price, a bit.

So perhaps not.

But they don't *force* anyone to offer at excessive prices. If I want to sell my item for 20% of the "controlled" price, I can do so. What they do, however, is force the buyers to pay the full "controlled" price unless a buyer gets to the 20% offer first.

There is another side to this though. Sure, you can sell items for much less, but think about why you are selling it. The main reason to have money in this game, is to buy stuff from the GTN. I mean you could go nuts on your personal guild with flagship a bit but beyond that you don't need that much in credits to play this game.

So if I wanted to buy say Senya's Lightsaber or Satele's armour set cause I didn't get it from buying 3 hypercrates for example, how will I get together the 120 or 200 million credits to buy it off the GTN...by selling my stuff, but then I need more for my stuff to be able to afford that item.

The thing that could break through that is to increase the supply. Better drop chances, lower prices such things. But that hurts BWs bottom line. Sadly because of the importance of the CM in SWTOR's revenue model of today, it stands pretty much directly opposite best customer experience and so the customer loses out in this set up.

I'm just happy I got the gear skins I wanted most, but I also think about the vast majority of players who do not have 10s or 100s of millions of credits who are not rich or market savvy and love the lore but can't get the lore items they so would love to have. It's not my problem but looking at the bigger picture, I can imagine this sours a lot of people towards the game.

There is another side to this though. Sure, you can sell items for much less, but think about why you are selling it. The main reason to have money in this game, is to buy stuff from the GTN. I mean you could go nuts on your personal guild with flagship a bit but beyond that you don't need that much in credits to play this game.

No, my comment about being able to list for 20% was directed at the absurdity of saying that a "market controller" *forces* me to sell at a high price. Nothing can force me to do that. If I want to list Senya's Lightsaber for one credit, I will. (OK, no, I wouldn't, but that's not the point here. I *can* and the market controller cannot stop me doing it.)

What the market controller does is force people who want the item to *buy* at a high price or do without. Or take their chances on real CM packs, or get out there and gather their own crafting materials, or whatever.

• 1 year later...
My issue is this: I don't have time to play enough to build up 50mil. I truly despise Ops, Wz, Fp, etc and i have one sub account and one free account. The F2P players CAN'T buy off GTN at those prices because of Credit Limit

Oh boy, hope you got your armor on. Fanbois and necro police incoming. But then again, these forums are rather dead, so maybe not. :)

My issue is this: I don't have time to play enough to build up 50mil. I truly despise Ops, Wz, Fp, etc and i have one sub account and one free account. The F2P players CAN'T buy off GTN at those prices because of Credit Limit

You can always buy on sub account and mail to the free one.

I think its all timing really, I seen stuff go for mils, then suddenly the next day that same set or weapon is going for 200 k and I go wuut. So I tend to also hold out on things im selling. Crafting materials also constantly in flux, some days I can make 500k out of dark matter, other days a mere 100k. That’s why for armors is always good to keep checking. They will always be someone desperate to get some small mils out of it (sometimes thats me lol).

For sure the F2P players (including Preferred) can't buy fancy armour and weapons on the GTN, but so what? None of that stuff is needed to play the game. It's *all* just cosmetic frippery.

The only thing that keeps prices up is the willingness of people to pay those prices, so that being said, nothing is over priced if people buy those items. If no one buys them the prices drop until someone does or the seller will endlessly repost the item while never selling it. :rak_03: