Female Romance Options

Vasdenjas

+1 for fairness.

Though I'm having a hard time understanding why there would be female gamers that would want more romance options anyway. Not trying to sound like a jack*** or anything( :( ) I just don't understand.

I mean, it's not in their nature right? I think I'm confusing myself.

Sigh. I had best not feed the trolls.

It doesn't surprise me that storyline options, in general, are relatively limited at launch. I suspect/except that "new storylines" will be a major focus of expansions, though it will be interesting to see how that works for existing characters... I mean if, a year from now, a new "branch" opens on the BH story, but it happens around level 10-15 and can't be picked up if you're level 50, I will be... well, not outraged, but a little annoyed. OTOH, the idea that the game remains fresh for new players who don't just tread the same content older players do is an intriguing one. The mad rush to endgame and the idea that "the game starts at level cap" is one of the worst aspects of MMOs, and if Bioware finds any way to end this, good on them.

straight male romance always overshadows otehr genders/orintations. Bioware was starting to change this but kind of reverted here I think in large because it is an MMO that they want to appeal to the biggest demographic.

At least straight women have options. :p

I do hope in the future to see some gay male leads akin to Captain Jack Harkens of Torchwood.

straight male romance always overshadows otehr genders/orintations. Bioware was starting to change this but kind of reverted here I think in large because it is an MMO that they want to appeal to the biggest demographic.

At least straight women have options. :p

I do hope in the future to see some gay male leads akin to Captain Jack Harkens of Torchwood.

Jack Harkness isn't gay. Jack Harkness is omnivorous. (Males, females, insectoids, giant space cows...)

(Programmatically, I can see it being relatively straightforward; each companion has a 'romance option' that tips when a certain level of Affection is reached, and some percentage of conversations have divergent text based on if you're romantic or not. To keep things somewhat simple, you'd have two basic rules: Players would choose the 'preferred gender' for romance for their character (male, female, either, or 'No romance') and the companion with the highest affection rating is the 'romantic interest'. The real bear is, of course, recording all the optional dialog text and animations. Given those constraints, it's not surprising the first out the gate would be those likely to appeal to the widest audiences.)

Of course, if/when Bioware introduces same-sex romances, I can just imagine the Usual Suspects going "Star Wars has been perverted into a tool for the homosexual agenda", or something.

As I said somewhere else, same-sex romances are more for heterosexual players who want to have fun then anything else. But yes I guess there will always be some people to say it's wrong.

It would be cool if they added new characters for romances, and we could romance them at any level. They would have the same level as our character (if you take that companion at lvl 15 he will be lvl15, if you take him at level 50 he will be lvl 50). I would be easier for everyone.

Jack Harkness isn't gay. Jack Harkness is omnivorous. (Males, females, insectoids, giant space cows...)

(Programmatically, I can see it being relatively straightforward; each companion has a 'romance option' that tips when a certain level of Affection is reached, and some percentage of conversations have divergent text based on if you're romantic or not. To keep things somewhat simple, you'd have two basic rules: Players would choose the 'preferred gender' for romance for their character (male, female, either, or 'No romance') and the companion with the highest affection rating is the 'romantic interest'. The real bear is, of course, recording all the optional dialog text and animations. Given those constraints, it's not surprising the first out the gate would be those likely to appeal to the widest audiences.)

Of course, if/when Bioware introduces same-sex romances, I can just imagine the Usual Suspects going "Star Wars has been perverted into a tool for the homosexual agenda", or something.

Haha true, but I always thought he was a pretty good example of how us gays break the stereotype in so many ways both on screen and off screen and should be a roll model to be considered when exploring sexuality in games and writing.

And you are right there are enough biggoted people out there to make a scene out of this which is why I think it was dropped. It could easily jump the rating of a game too, social conservatives love threatening developers with that.

But these tend to be the same people that think video games promote witchcraft and feminism and should be banned on that account as well. So you can't really win with em. I think open minded/people who don't care/everyone else is a bigger market if you just take the risk. I can live with or without it but it is a minor let down to see a whole game come out with flirt options and somehow every gay in the universe disapering/the game pretending we don't exist.

You just have to pay attention. I'm playing a female toon, Jedi Consular, and the second companion is obviously the romance choice. He tries to flirt a lot (even though it doesn't say flirt) and you lose companion points anytime you are even remotely friendly to any other male NPC or other character. He is obviously the jealous type. It is funny as hell to me. Unfortunately he is a healer and I don't need him at all in my travels so he doesn't get much play. The last companion is the supposedly the female love interest so I'll wait for the same gender stuff. She is definately my favorite character to run with.

Shizuru

43 Jedi Consular Sage

Tarro Blood

As I said somewhere else, same-sex romances are more for heterosexual players who want to have fun then anything else. But yes I guess there will always be some people to say it's wrong.

Ya know, I love my husband and I love looking at a good male behind, but sometimes, I just have this fluttering feeling when talking to Kaliyo on my femIA. And I was someone who had to replay DA 3times as a noble human just for the damn Alistair romance.

Not sure what it is about her, but all of her bravado, snarky comments, and talking about how cute a guy is or whether someone is her type or not makes me think that she likes me more than she admits! It's just screaming same-sex romance! Maybe nothing long term, but I'm thinking it could be fun!

It could have something to do with being early 20s and not having any male companions yet...

I'm annoyed as heck at the limited romance options. Specifically a male Jedi Consular has to go like 90% through the game without any romance at all?!? Lots of gender/class combos don't even obtain their romance companions until more than halfway through the game! I really wish all the initial companions would have launched with Dragon Age 1 type bisexuality options, that way at least if I don't want to wait until level fortysomething for my romance companion I could at least have the option to start a romance earlier even it would have to be with a non-preferred gender. :(

Ok, so I am playing a Jedi counsler shadow (not that this will have anything to do with my class) and have not yet finished the game, but as a female am so far disappointed with my flirtable options (of which there have been two so far). I am level 30 am I am hoping beyond hope that I will have a relationship option for a big buff male who is horribly alien looking. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Bioware and Dragon Age is my second favorite game (Zelda will always be my first) but I have noticed that when it comes to female romance options...they are found wanting. The best (by best I mean buff wise) romance option Bioware has produced for females was Jacob Taylor in ME2. Other than him you have the option of aliens! My hope is that Bioware will cater to the female population and give us a big buff guy option...maybe a commando? Big buff sith trying to change his ways? There are lots of possibilities here!

Would be much appreciated

P.S. I still love the storyline though. This MMO is the best I have ever played.

This made me smile. I totally agree. I guess girls like big buff guys... =(

This made me smile. I totally agree. I guess girls like big buff guys... =(

I suspect girls, like guys, have widely varying tastes in partners, even if we're talking purely aesthetics and not actual concerns like personality, etc. I mean, I prefer women who are a bit on the zaftig side, but there's no "Mako, go get something to eat, you're too skinny" button. :)

There are companion customizations, but it would be nice to have more direct control, especially for romantic-option companions. I suspect this all falls into the "Look for it around the time of the first commercial expansion" category, because the asset creation pipeline in games like this is pretty long.

I'm a girl!

I know there are less female players than male player on SWTOR, but I'm disappointed to see that there are way more options of romance for male players than for girls!

Male player can romance aliens, twi'lek girls, etc, most of them are very beautiful... but girls can only romance humans! (except the Catar for soldiers, maybe)! why that? can't we girls go out with a twi'lek male, a Chiss male, etc? what's wrong with that?

In ME we girls could only have Kaidan as a male romance, and he was human. THEN they understood that we wanted more aliens for romance and added Thane and Garrus to flirt with for ME2.

Please Bioware, think about girl players too. Give us more choice! aliens, but also bulky and manly men as well! you know girls like romances and you should try to attract female players like that, too ^^

just my opinion :p

There isn't more options for male characters. I played a Jedi Counselor and you can romance one companion and she comes at like level 40+. Great Bioware... 2 flirt options during the game. Romance in this game is really lacking. I want to marry NPCs too or give us optional companions. KOTOR had WAY more companions. 5 and they come staggered with my level and I have to have them? How about 10 total companions and I get only to keep 5. Some of the 10 are bi and some are not. That way we have choice and not shoehorned in to one female companion to romance with.

I think companions choices for romances in SWTOR are actually very, very Very bad... And actually are maybe even worse for male characters? (definitely atleast on republic side!)

I think that most people wants to have his/her romance-able companion running and fighting with you (and joinig conversations..) all the time. I surely do. But in most cases you are forced to use 1-2 other 'usefull' companion. So your favorite companion will stay at ship 99% of time.. Except when you smmon him/her to give some presents and then speak with them on ship each 700+ affection? What a pointless waste. That companion coments on quests are way better than whole romance 'line' anyway. (and you can get that affection points more 'naturally')

As a Jedi Sage (heal/dps) I need tank which i have only 2 Male tank options.

Jedi Shadow (tank/dps) can use a healer - only 1 male option available.

My only 1 female comapanion is melle dps in light armor - useless for any important fight.

I hate that lizard 'thing' i must carry with me. Leaving him behind to die and just resumon him. Did bioware really thing we will 'care' about this horrible companions?

As a Jedi Knight, (at both advaced classes) you want a healer - only male option available.

Smuggler - (dps/heal) Wants a tank - Only male tank available.

Trooped is the only republic option for a male character to have Usefull companion being your romance option (a 'by the book' soldier medic... ) Not a great option, but waay bettter than disgusting lizard thing which I'm forced to travel with :/

Except trooper it seems to me republic side should be played with female players only?

Poor me, i'm a male but don't like playing for Evil Empire, it's just not my taste. So no interesting companion or romance at all for me.

On Empire side, only BH has Mako as great sidekick. Mako looks great, if only was not on empire side... :/

SW - starts with Vette, great. But later will switch to Male healer!

SI - Same as Consular, no female option.

IA - Well, I actually don't know this class at all, seems to have female healer, so if you can Tank it's the second Empire best character/companion combo?

Why there is not a single female companion tank? :p

PS: Yea, I know. My english is horrible, if anyone wants to pick on it, go ahead. I don't care :D

I'm 100% with you. +1

There isn't more options for male characters. I played a Jedi Counselor and you can romance one companion and she comes at like level 40+. Great Bioware... 2 flirt options during the game. Romance in this game is really lacking. I want to marry NPCs too or give us optional companions. KOTOR had WAY more companions. 5 and they come staggered with my level and I have to have them? How about 10 total companions and I get only to keep 5. Some of the 10 are bi and some are not. That way we have choice and not shoehorned in to one female companion to romance with.

You're looking at it the wrong way. There's FORTY companions in the game. That's a lot of voice acting, quest writing, testing, and debugging. I didn't play the single-player KOTOR games... did they have forty companions, each with multiple quests and voiceovers specifically for them?

Also, there are issues of balance to consider... the more the companions differ and the more choices you have, the more BioWare has to consider people claiming they're "forced" to pick X over Y because "X has better stats" or the like. And, of course, if there's no difference, people will claim that it's just an illusion of choice and it's a way for BioWare to make it look like there's more content than there is.

Assuming the game retains even half a million players consistently over time, it will be successful enough that there will be ongoing development and additional options. Threads like this should serve to encourage BioWare that people want more choices and to focus some dev resources on providing them, not on complaining that infinite choices weren't offered at launch. The game had to ship eventually; there's only so much money you can burn through, and at some point, the feature list has to be frozen. I'd rather have five well-defined companions with unique voices, storylines, and abilities, then my choice of ten companions who are each only half as developed, which are, when you think about development schedules, the only options.

You're looking at it the wrong way. There's FORTY companions in the game. That's a lot of voice acting, quest writing, testing, and debugging. I didn't play the single-player KOTOR games... did they have forty companions, each with multiple quests and voiceovers specifically for them?

Also, there are issues of balance to consider... the more the companions differ and the more choices you have, the more BioWare has to consider people claiming they're "forced" to pick X over Y because "X has better stats" or the like. And, of course, if there's no difference, people will claim that it's just an illusion of choice and it's a way for BioWare to make it look like there's more content than there is.

Assuming the game retains even half a million players consistently over time, it will be successful enough that there will be ongoing development and additional options. Threads like this should serve to encourage BioWare that people want more choices and to focus some dev resources on providing them, not on complaining that infinite choices weren't offered at launch. The game had to ship eventually; there's only so much money you can burn through, and at some point, the feature list has to be frozen. I'd rather have five well-defined companions with unique voices, storylines, and abilities, then my choice of ten companions who are each only half as developed, which are, when you think about development schedules, the only options.

KOTOR and KOTOR2 had around 9 companions and they all had companion missions. They all came relatively early in the game and some of them were optional. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate all had more options more CHOICE. I like choosing stuff that's why I like playing RPGs. At the end of Mass Effect 2, I had to split up the team to accomplish different objectives. I had to choose who I thought was the best person for the different jobs that needed to be done (ie, team leader, hacking to open doors, etc). It was awesome, my choices affected my story and that's what I like.

I have to say, I've rather enjoyed my Smuggler's emotional-life dalliances. Playfully flirting with a rogue gentleman gambler, watching Corso get jealous (oh come on, it's freaking CUTE seeing him do that), etc. I haven't tried any of the others (only have a Sorcerer and Sentinel until the BH issue clears up). Though I admit I'm curious to see how I approach it with the Inquisitor. Evil Palpatine-girl don't dig wimps, after all.

Readily though, you're quite right in that our options are somewhat...well...."off" from the broader pallet offered to men/male characters. Not that I'd expect that to change greatly, and if this is to be I'm just hoping for quality over quantity. :) Buff is nice....but if it's as shallow as a puddle then it's just not worth pursuing.

>>LightNaver: I think that Kaliyo (for Imperial agent, 1st companion) is a Tank. ^^

As I said somewhere else, same-sex romances are more for heterosexual players who want to have fun

Are you so amazingly ignorant that you think the only people who play games are heterosexual?

Are you so amazingly ignorant not to understand what I said at all? I mean a lot of people who want same-sex romances are heterosexuals, I didn't say that no homosexuals want that too. Of course they want, too.

But it would be stupid to think that this "same-sex romance" market is just for the homosexual customers/players, that's all. It interests a lot of heterosexuals too.

It was not the point of this topic, I don't want to start that kind of conversation again.

We were talking about female player romances.

Edited by Evolvana

Very understandable. The romance options in DA and DA 2 sucked (Anders) but I liked Atton in KOTOR 2. I hope the Imperial Agent romances don't suck.

Eh, Alistair seems like a fine guy. Humor, valiant, self-deprecating. Not nearly as whiny as Kaidan or Carth.