The ONE thing you could do to make me a 50% happier customer.

Philosomanic

Make use of the known issues thread.

Allow me to elaborate:

I like to consider myself a fairly reasonable person. I realize that the client for this game is a massive, massive piece of code. When you change things, I understand that it can cause unexpected bugs. I'd prefer that this didn't happen, but this is life; things break. I know that you didn't intentionally add these bugs, and that there are probably plenty of bugs you catch with internal testing that we never see.

However, as much as the rational part of me realizes all that, the rest of me is driven into a frothy nerd rage whenever my class gets a bug. When you guys interface with your community and let me know you're working on it, I can settle down. It sucks, but I know that somewhere a dev is trying to fix it and eventually the problem will go away. However, if the bug receives (to the best of my knowledge) no attention after it's been in place for weeks, the dark side starts to take me over.

I think most people are like this. The majority of players will be placated if you can acknowledge that there is a bug, that you're aware of it, and that you're working on fixing it. A few people of the tinfoil hat persuasion will still be screaming on the forums, but most people will keep playing because they know you're on it. It sucks being bugged, but if we know a fix is coming it sucks a lot less.

However, as things currently stand, the Known Issues page is woefully underused. Let me give a specific example:

I'm a Vanguard. One of my talent trees (Tactics) has a skill central to the build that does a lot of AoE elemental damage. As Tactics, it's supposed to provide a 70% slow. Since it's a channeled skill, that slow would be incredibly powerful. However, that slow is currently not working for the Vanguard skill (although the Powertech mirror is).

We have let you know about this. There have been four threads specifically about it being broken, with almost 50 replies between them. There have also been lots of posts talking about it in other threads (i.e. build advice threads). I know several players have submitted bug reports, and I wouldn't doubt that more have. If you really do listen to your community as you claim, you know about this issue.

However, as of May 22nd, it still isn't on the Known Issues page. This is what drives me into a frothy nerd rage, along with plenty of other Vanguards. It's not that the bug exists, it's that we've had no acknowledgement of it and no evidence you're fixing it. Give us that, and we'll be much happier. I'm sure there are countless examples of this with other classes.

No major (class mechanics) bug fix should ever appear in patch notes without first having been on the Known Issues page. The moment you guys realize that there is, in fact, a bug, you should take thirty seconds and add it to the list. That should be the first thing that gets done when a dev or team of devs starts working on a bug. Letting us know you're on the case will make us much happier.

Edited by Philosomanic

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I debated between posting it there or here. In the end, I decided not to clutter up a forum made for reporting bugs and getting help. This is a post about BioWare interfacing with their community, so I figured this would be the next best place. If they want to move it, power to them.

Also, there's this:

We're working constantly to fix anything that will affect the player experience, but for now this is our current list of high priority in-game known issues.

Simple logic tells us that any issues not on the list are either not known, or not high-priority.

People occasionally falling off the Jawa Balloon while sitting/dancing is urgent, high-priority stuff. A 70% slow on a channeled AoE that's central to certain specs... meh. I'm sure there are plenty of similar issues with other classes that aren't showing up on the list, and I'd consider all of them more important than falling off balloons.

Nah, anything more difficult than fixing people from falling off a baloon sounds to much like work. God knows we cannot have them working very hard for our money. Not my money anymore, but some people are still paying to play. I just unsubbed, not sure how much time I have left though.

I share your pain. For over three weeks, the PTS (which is kept online during no testing times as well!) has been broken with the Evasion 'bug'.

Numerous threads and replies like this randomly placed and nothing.

So I'm struck down in any normal gameplay on my chosen server; my only choice is to either play on live or farm flashpoints (which are currently the only place NPC's don't auto reset if melee).

So I'm all for people complaining in a fair manner to get what they need or want fixing.

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. The bugs I'm experiencing aren't game-breaking; they just really hurt one spec to the point that I don't play it. However, the other DPS spec works great.

However, the longer this goes without a fix or any form of acknowledgement whatsoever, the worse it's going to bother me.

Well, there's been a new update to the known issues thread since this post, and still no acknowledgement of the PG bug I brought up. I'd like to think the devs keep up with the community and are aware of these issues, but I'm really starting to doubt.

Anyone else know of class mechanic bugs that aren't there?

For snipers, they listed a type of cover bug that I think other snipers complained about too much. If you moved, stopped, then went into cover, the bug wouldn't happen. But if you moved, and used going into cover to stop yourself, your cover bugged out. It was put on the Known Issues board pretty quickly, and fixed in either the next weeklly patch or a hotfix patch (can't remember).

I really hope they get to address your issue, or at least acknowledge it. They more communication they give, the happier I feel as a paying customer when things aren't working right.

I really hope they get to address your issue, or at least acknowledge it. They more communication they give, the happier I feel as a paying customer when things aren't working right.

This. All they have to do is say "We're working on it", and I'll calm down.

Well, new community team has done... absolutely nothing about this.

Additionally, I've found a second large bug with my class. The stance for one of our trees has a proc chance for 750 energy damage, but it's currently doing 1/3 of that. The stance proc is currently doing ~60 DPS against an ops dummy for me, which means I'm losing 120 DPS (huge!) on ops bosses. Considering that my current DPS is just under 800 (PvP-geared tank), that's a large drop.

When I posted about it on the Vanguard Forums, others assured me this bug has been around since launch, with no attention.

• Dev Post

Hey Philosomanic!

First off - while we do try to track high-priority known issues on the known issues list, not everything will end up there, though it doesn't mean we're not working on it! We often choose items for the known issues based on the volume of reports and complaints we're seeing, but they aren't the only things we're fixing.

I just asked the devs, and you'll be pleased to know that a fix for the slow effect you described is in the works! We have lots of fixes on the way, and we'll look into your other report as well - there may already be a fix in the works for it, too.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

How is the sound randomly cutting out of the game and requiring a restart of the client to fix it not on the known issues list?

It is by far the most common complaint of folks in my guild, and yes I did submit a bug report the first day it appeared.

It's probably a low priority for most people but it would be nice if they fixed the myriad of bugged Codex entries. I like discovering stuff and completing the Codex list. I was also shocked to see how many titles there should be compared with the ones that are actually awarded in-game.

Unless of course they just took them out but who knows at this point, it's not on the known issues list.

Edited by Dastrum

• Dev Post
How is the sound randomly cutting out of the game and requiring a restart of the client to fix it not on the known issues list?

It is by far the most common complaint of folks in my guild, and yes I did submit a bug report the first day it appeared.

We did make a post about sound issues recently - here's what Amber had to say:

Since 1.2, we have been monitoring the threads about sound issues carefully. However, the problem is not isolated to one or even a few individual bugs. Rather, there have been multiple (sometimes overlapping) problems - some with similar symptoms. Thus far, we’ve been able to address several of the prominent issues like the “jet engine” and other loud noise on the fleet (1.2.0c, 1.2.1 ) and sounds stacking when getting multiple PvP medals (1.2.2), and we haven’t stopped working on fixes for other issues that you’re seeing, such as sound that “crackles” or losing sound gradually and/or randomly.

Your reports surrounding issues are always helpful when they’re ongoing and/or complex (and when they’re not!), so please don’t hesitate to add information and details to existing threads if you are seeing problems. Thanks for all of the details and information you’ve already given! o/’’\o

Even though it may not currently be on the known issues list, we are very actively investigating and resolving various sound issues that have been reported. Make sure to check out the dev tracker for informational posts like this one (or our weekly dev tracker roundup on the blog if you prefer!).

Well I reported the sound bug - where sound cuts out in cutscenes, objectives in warzones, etc. and you have to restart the client to fix it. In response, the customer service rep told me it was probably my sound card or other hardware from my end. I reported this the first week after 1.2 was released and it's still not fixed.

It's from my end?! No, dude, I KNOW FOR A FACT IT ISN'T. When I report something, I do it so that you will fix it, not so that I can get an earful of how it is somehow, against all logic, my fault!

I share your pain. For over three weeks, the PTS (which is kept online during no testing times as well!) has been broken with the Evasion 'bug'.

Numerous threads and replies like this randomly placed and nothing.

First, congratulations on hijacking the thread, well done. Second, BioWare has explained clearly that the PTS is not supported the same way the live servers are. You should not expect fixes there until the next major update goes live.

Well I reported the sound bug - where sound cuts out in cutscenes, objectives in warzones, etc. and you have to restart the client to fix it. In response, the customer service rep told me it was probably my sound card or other hardware from my end. I reported this the first week after 1.2 was released and it's still not fixed.

It's from my end?! No, dude, I KNOW FOR A FACT IT ISN'T. When I report something, I do it so that you will fix it, not so that I can get an earful of how it is somehow, against all logic, my fault!

Well... unless a large percentage of the population is experiencing the issue (haven't had the issue you describe on any of my computers... over very long sessions) then it likely is something on your end (logically). If you reported the issue, regardless of the CS response (which was probably canned, as would be expected in this case), it has been noted and dumped in to the relevant report for engineering. Job well done on your part.

The issue of where blame should lie with a technical problem can be complicated even after you clearly identify the root cause of the problem... sometimes something needs to change in the engine and sometimes Bioware needs to contact 3rd parties (AMD, NVIDIA, Realtek) to get them to fix their stuff. It just sounds like you (and others in this thread) need manage your expectations a smidge.

Edited by Skylerr

Well... unless a large percentage of the population is experiencing the issue (haven't had the issue you describe on any of my computers... over very long sessions) then it likely is something on your end (logically). If you reported the issue, regardless of the CS response (which was probably canned, as would be expected in this case), it has been noted and dumped in to the relevant report for engineering. Job well done on your part.

The issue of where blame should lie with a technical problem can be complicated even after you clearly identify the root cause of the problem... sometimes something needs to change in the engine and sometimes Bioware needs to contact 3rd parties (AMD, NVIDIA, Realtek) to get them to fix their stuff. It just sounds like you (and others in this thread) need manage your expectations a smidge.

Just because you don't experience the bug doesn't mean others don't. I know for a fact because other people in my guild were having this issue. A LARGE NUMBER of people have been experiencing this issue, and that is why I know that it not on my end. As a customer who submits a report, it is disheartening to hear "yeah it's your fault, this report will be disregarded as low priority" when in my eyes it's a huge bug that has persisted for several weeks.

Well... unless a large percentage of the population is experiencing the issue (haven't had the issue you describe on any of my computers... over very long sessions) then it likely is something on your end

My entire guild has this issue. My guess is that it is somehow tied to zoning from the fleet. If I am loading into warzones from the fleet, I can generally expect my sound to become messed up by the 4th or 5th warzone. Ditto for loading back into raids after a wipe etc. Last week we spent a couple of days taking our new members through all of the datacrons and someone pointed out that we'd been at it for hours without the sound bugging out. Could be coincidence, but I have to wonder if there isn't more to it.

Even though it may not currently be on the known issues list, we are very actively investigating and resolving various sound issues that have been reported.

maybe this is a dumb question, but why is it NOT listed on a known issue? this would solve a lot of posts about it.

what exactly does it take to make it onto the list? only if a problem is 100% repeatable like the chest loot bug in EC?

Pretty much everyone i've ever talked to on vent/mumble etc who plays gets this problem. It should have been fixed long before now and placating us with the "we're working on it" doesn't cut it. This has been here since 1.2... Edited by Kabaal

If it helps, the sound reproducing issue to easy to reproduce:

Open Firefox, latest version, then in Firefox open 200+ different tabs to all the various things that interest you. Keep them all open for a day (including overnight)

Then, play some Star Trek online, making sure you alt-tab back and forth between the game and different tabs in Firefox.

Then open Star Wars and play. The sound will cut out regularly during conversations, and restarting the game won't fix it. You will need to reboot your computer to fix the issue.

Note however, that sound in the various Firefox tabs is unaffected, and sound in Star Trek online (if you reopen that one to check again) is also unaffected; somehow, this sound issue to specific to Star Wars online.

We did make a post about sound issues recently - here's what Amber had to say:

Even though it may not currently be on the known issues list, we are very actively investigating and resolving various sound issues that have been reported. Make sure to check out the dev tracker for informational posts like this one (or our weekly dev tracker roundup on the blog if you prefer!).

For a game that is supposedly fully voiced, the sound problems introduced with 1.2 need to be one of the top priorities. (behind server merges) The issue I am talking about is the loss of all non-background sounds when in an ops group. This applies to running operations and warzones both. I do not know anyone that does not constantly have this problem. It requires a full reload of the game to get the sounds back. There are to many sound cues to different actions in both operations and warzones that it is a must to get this fixed or roll the sound changes back to pre-1.2 until you can get it fixed.

Pretty much everyone i've ever talked to on vent/mumble etc who plays gets this problem. It should have been fixed long before now and placating us with the "we're working on it" doesn't cut it. This has been here since 1.2...

Have you tried updating your audio drivers? Customer service was kind enough to suggest that to me when I reported the bug the 1st day of 1.2. It didn't fix anything and I'm still plagued by the sound bug, but it gave me hope for like 30 seconds while I downloaded new drivers ;)