How to create anxiety in the community ToR

Rukessky

I think it is just another troll from someone disappointed to get in when they preordered and something about the way SWTOR communicated the early access for preordering.

Can't blame people for being a little frustrated at this point really, Biowares communication hasn't been exactly great and now knowing because I was a little weary and not willing to go preorder at the first sniff because I'd rather know if something is worth picking up or not, that the £5 I paid for a preorder box may turn out to be for a lightsaber crystal that I'll never use....

Yea, I can understand the frustration and I'm feeling it too. I didn't expect to get in day 1 nor even day 2 or 3....but knowing that it may not even be day 4 or even 6? That's bad....real bad.

Just another company that failed to understand that the customers (that'd be us) want INFORMATION/facts...not "hey, you might be able to play sometime in December!).

It's a game, bla-bla, yes...we all know that, but people get excited to play games and people get angry when someone is being a tease (although, granted, some pay for that...come to think of...so are we).

Even if Bioware wanted to adjust how many they let in after how the servers looked etc, they should have planned better. An 8 hour window is better than nothing. If someone told little Robert that he would get let in somewhere between 13 and 21 on Dec 19th, then little Robert wouldn't mind as much as if someone said "yeah...go check your email every minute for a week...you might get in".

Edited by Illwill-

Hey! You might be able to play in December, aka, on the 20th.

Crying about early access that was suppose to be 5 days early but was enlarged to 7 days early is kinda silly people. You act like a certain other big MMO company treats the community with vast amount of information.

Maybe they are learning from them and know if they give you specifics, if something goes wrong, the community outcry for justice will be even bigger than if they don't tell you anything.

I think its been clearly communicated (see forum posts and community posts). I think they are doing everything possible to get everyone as much early access as they can.

They want to make sure the load is not crushing the servers and thus making the game unplayable for everyone. I don't think its unreasonable to ask the community to be patient. They articulated you'd get an email on the day you are granted access.

Pressure here is very bad. The servers have been load tested, but there is nothing like a release to test the best laid plans. Give these guys time. They have been excellent.

This is how they operated. They are a cautious group. Having been in BETA everything they do is slow, purposeful and follows a sound methodology. Things are up when they say. They tend to deliver and don't seem to be wild. They make changes based on emperical evidence.

This community should appreciate they do what they say. Coming from other games (SWG) where they would talk out both ends, I greatly appreciate a vetted and real communications model where its intentional and deliberate when they address us. Hopefully this leds to less dissappointment.

Crying about early access that was suppose to be 5 days early but was enlarged to 7 days early is kinda silly people.

From a psychology perspective, it's certainly not. People tend to think with the "spotlight effect", meaning that they believe their actions are more visible than they are. They tend to interpret messages directed at themselves personally even when they know they're not. People also have an aversion to loss more than they appreciate a gain. All of this means that many people will feel aggrieved and publishing this will help the situation in some way. There's also the benefit one gets from just expressing one's feelings.

What would have been BioWare's best move, from a "psychology of the customer" perspective, would be to start "sneaking" people on early. That way, people would still be expecting the 15th, and would be happy to get in before that. Probably that is logistically impossible, so their next best option would be to inform people what wave they are in. While people would still feel anxious, giving them something more concrete to focus on would be beneficial. BioWare doesn't know when they will admit their waves, but if they are admitting them based on the order in which they received code redemptions, they should already know where individual accounts fall on the wave distribution.

Of course, that would mainly lead to a different time of post- "I'm wave 8 and they're on wave 2- why are they going so slow!!!" However, I think those grievances are more manageable for people than the greater degree of uncertainty that the low-information current approach is generating.

The guy who started this post is right in my opinion. He has every right to be mad even if u troll him.

I think its been clearly communicated (see forum posts and community posts). I think they are doing everything possible to get everyone as much early access as they can.

No, they are not doing everything possible to get as much in game, they only care about those servers. Why?

" They want to make sure the load is not crushing the servers and thus making the game unplayable for everyone. I don't think its unreasonable to ask the community to be patient. They articulated you'd get an email on the day you are granted access. "

What is this? Are we talking about a garrage company? About some dude who made a game for him or he's friends? No it's a very big company who made a MMO. Things should have been in order by now. They know what to expect. They had a stress test wich went prety well, we all played that open beta...In fact this is nothing but a beta payed by us. Are they trying to make the game playable? Yea, let's make the game ok for 10k people accepted by now and ignore those 500k+(maibe). And EGA should alow all people to play during a day, again, because it's a big company, not during several days. Why whould i get to play after 2-3 days and someone else right from the begining. We payed the same amount, we all want to play as bad as anynone else.

I have all the admiration for those who developed this game, it's an amaizing game, hat down. But the guys who are responable for getting the game to us ruined for them. This isn't what i expected. What it will happend on 20 when 2 mil people log in? We log a couple of thousand each day?

Edited by Cipicu