Excessive trash mobs

blackdots

I've played through on a few characters now, and some areas really have way too many mind-numbing and time-consuming (and unavoidable) trash mobs. Specifically, the Rist compound on Alderaan is just painful, and doesn't even offer a side quest for killing Rist soldiers...ugh. After about a dozen fights, I just decided to start running through the mobs and taking the death hit. When it came to the 10 minute revive cooldown, I just had lunch. In dungeons where you have to run back through, and the teleport timer is on cooldown, this frustration can get pretty high. Less trash mobs and more quality fights would have been an improvement, I think.

My issue isn't so much with the amount of the trash mobs, but the insanely short respawn timers on some of them, and the fact that some are insanely close together.

Had a point today where I was fighting a Silver. No problem. It's just me (healer) and a tank companion, so our DPS isn't great, but we can't really die. Second Silver pats in. Still no problem. Third Silver pats in. Ok, that's a little ridiculous, and this is now getting to be a serious fight. The group I just finished defeating before this fight respawns, and apparently I'm still in aggro radius of one of them. Entire group comes pouring down on me. Lots of pain.

I'm serious, that group had to have respawned in about 2 minutes. It can't have been more than that. And these aren't even mobs that have to be defeated for some quest, which I could understand having a short respawn timer on. No, they're just generic standing in your way mobs to get to where you actually need to be.

Let's not even talk about the droids in the "Xenovirus Prime" Daily on Belsavis, where you can have the particular pleasure of fighting the same spawn 3 times because of the layout and fast respawn.

I totally agree. You have to fight your way through to an objective, complete the quest, and all the mobs u just killed have respawned on your way back, and now you have to fight all the way through them to go outside... talk about ruining immersion!!

I am like you, as I generally just run through, let my companion occupy them for a bit, and maybe take a death so that I can get out of there.

It really is frustrating. The respawn rate is much too fast.

Edited by Appletaz

There is no chance that Bioware will change existing worlds; which are fine if you run with a group.

They are already extremely slow on fixing even minor things like the GUI (e.g. resizable comment field in the grouping tool).

But I wish that the mobs would not attack by themselves

and that it would be the players choice to fight or not.

Edited by genpion

I was grumbling about this last night to my husband xD.

I was in Hoth. From the nearest travel point to GET to my class quest objective took me over an HOUR just from the sheer VOLUME of trash I had to grind through. I play a Powertech, shield spec so it takes me longer to kill things >.<

But I'm pretty much bulletproof so respawns aren't usually deadly.

BUT DAYUM! So many mobs....just to get to my objective...

*faints*

But hey! On the bright side, at least it was XP, right? >.>

There is no chance that Bioware will change existing worlds; which are fine if you run with a group.

They are already extremely slow on fixing even minor things like the GUI (e.g. resizable comment field in the grouping tool).

But I wish that the mobs would not attack by themselves

and that it would be the players choice to fight or not.

I do just fine solo, and have never found any need for a group. It's just time consuming. But that's what a game like this is supposed to be like.

I don't mind trash density on the way to a quest objective, but clearing it twice on exit due to rapid re-spawn timers is insane.

It doesn't take an overhaul of the game, just increase the timer for re-spawn on trash that is in the path of quest objectives (caves). If they are trash that drop quest items, keep the re-spawn timers the same in open areas where they can be avoided for ingress / egress to keep the players from losing their minds (numb frustration) while trying to get in and out.

Ithink the rapid respawn time is for the other players coming into the area. I have seen this way too many times where you have been fighting a mob only to have another toon jump through and start clearing out an area where you playing.

Yeah it can be a trouble thing when your questing but remember would like to wait 30 to 40 minutes before the spawn you need comes back?? remember others are leveling too and need drops for cash plus exp.

I do just fine solo, and have never found any need for a group. It's just time consuming. But that's what a game like this is supposed to be like.

With a group the mobs die within few seconds.

Of course:

- you can do it alone, but then it takes much longer and then you have to rest to full health.

- you do not find anybody to do the solo content as a group with only 20 - 40 players of various levels per planet.

The best solution would be that the mobs would stay passive until attacked by the player.

And yes, it is as if Bioware was afraid about going through the game too fast and so they introduced all kind of time sinks (trash mobs, cover long distances at low speed, running in empty spaces to your space ship, enemies with enormous health bars, ... ).

Korriban felt good because the enemies fell quickly and the distances were short.

The higher the level the more of the same rotations you have to do in a fight and the larger distances you have to cover.

Edited by genpion

The best solution would be that the mobs would stay passive until attacked by the player.

This would increase the replayability of this game 10 fold for me. I want to see the other storylines, but I just can't bear the thought of doing all those trash mobs again

Ithink the rapid respawn time is for the other players coming into the area. I have seen this way too many times where you have been fighting a mob only to have another toon jump through and start clearing out an area where you playing.

Yeah it can be a trouble thing when your questing but remember would like to wait 30 to 40 minutes before the spawn you need comes back?? remember others are leveling too and need drops for cash plus exp.

It doesn't need to be 30-40 minutes.

7-10 would be enough that I don't feel like I'm clearing out the exact same group on the same mission, but should still be short enough to not let people ghost it on someone else's work.

The planning meeting must have gone something like this...

"How can we slow down their progression through the content while keeping it somewhat immersive?"

"Increase npc spawn rates and add airlocks to the travel experience"

"BRILLIANT!!! They'll love it too"

The planning meeting must have gone something like this...

"How can we slow down their progression through the content while keeping it somewhat immersive?"

"Increase npc spawn rates and add airlocks to the travel experience"

"BRILLIANT!!! They'll love it too"

I suspect the problem has more to do with lack of coordination between developers working on planet content. Some devs create as if it's a stand-alone adventure, forgetting that the player has already fought through waves of boring trash mobs on other planets. Significantly, however, some dungeons seem to "get it" by making the mobs easier to avoid. I always love those.

1. If the respawns were any lower there would be people complaining that their quest mobs were overfarmed and they had to wait around for them to respawn.

2. A lot of players don't realize what a sizeable chunk of your overall XP just killing mobs to get from A to B amounts to. Reducing the amount you'd have to fight would likely gimp you by several levels and make content harder, which would result in more whining.

3. Deal with it. Rift was way worse.

Since other people play in the world the respawn timers are set for them not you. The good news Bioware stated prelaunch that they can track these things. I think that these timers will get modified based on where they track populations. But given other more pressing items this is a pretty low priority and it looks like it hasn't really inhibited people from leveling at a good pace.

It's good feedback but it is not reasonable to expect a prompt change. But I think they appreciate the feedback.

1. If the respawns were any lower there would be people complaining that their quest mobs were overfarmed and they had to wait around for them to respawn.

2. A lot of players don't realize what a sizeable chunk of your overall XP just killing mobs to get from A to B amounts to. Reducing the amount you'd have to fight would likely gimp you by several levels and make content harder, which would result in more whining.

Awful arguments, seriously.

With (2), there are lots of other ways to get XP without trash mobs; e.g., pvp, heroics, flashpoints, etc.

With (3), we needn't take seriously an argument that goes "Game A was just as annoying and poorly designed, so what are you complaining about?"

Yes. I would like to have a respawn rate of about 2 or 5 seconds for everything; I am serious.

Hence I propose a floating point XP multiplier from 0 to 10 for the gained XP.

And make the mobs passive until attacked by the player.

When XP are needed, the player can still fight mobs.

But when I want to travel from A to B I want to do it quickly.

Why is the current state or good enough better than better ?

How do the failures of other games improve or redeem SWTOR ?

Edited by genpion

Yes. I would like to have a respawn rate of about 2 or 5 seconds for everything; I am serious.

Hence I propose a floating point XP multiplier from 0 to 10 for the gained XP.

And make the mobs passive until attacked by the player.

When XP are needed, the player can still fight mobs.

But when I want to travel from A to B I want to do it quickly.

Why is the current state or good enough better than better ?

How do the failures of other games improve or redeem SWTOR ?

All mobs being passive makes no sense. Your enemies wouldn't just let you walk past so you can set up in the most advantageous position to fight them.

All mobs being passive makes no sense. Your enemies wouldn't just let you walk past so you can set up in the most advantageous position to fight them.

I am fighting most of the time in the most advantageous position; as far as the cover system of my Agent allows it.

This game is already totally unrealistic.

An entire planet but enemies stand there lined up every 30 meters ?

You fight 4 enemies but would loose without your (one and only) companion; how true to the heroic storyline where you decimate entire armies.

Cities of millions of inhabitants that you can cross it in 2 boring minutes by running ?

This game is all about the fun for the player and the technical and artistic constraints.

Edited by genpion

My character is a stealth class, and just thinking of all the mobs I stealth past makes me a little less excited about leveling up my non-stealth alts.

I don't mind fighting my way to a quest objective, and will usually kill all the required mobs and then some, but once I am done with a quest and the multi-stage bonuses I want to be, well, DONE. And with stealth, I am done -- I just slip right out past all the mobs that respawned in the few minutes since I killed them on the way in. Despite this, I am still overleveled and have plenty of credits and commendations.

Of course, there is always quick travel, but I usually have several quests to do in an area so I'd just have to double back, plus I couldn't use it after every "go through narrow tunnels and kill everything" quest due to the cooldown.

I do understand why respawn timers are so short, since if you have only one or two other players in the same quest area it is needed. The problem is, about 90% of the time after the first few planets, there is no one questing near me so I get all the mobs to myself. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gwena

I look at "trash mobs" as a speed bump or time sink in this game. I say this for the fact that the leveling curve is very shallow for a newly relesed game. Most realease with a sharper curve to get a bit of lead time and cushion in development then shallow curve over time.

It doesn't need to be 30-40 minutes.

7-10 would be enough that I don't feel like I'm clearing out the exact same group on the same mission, but should still be short enough to not let people ghost it on someone else's work.

Would like to wait for 10 to 15 minutes to get exp? people would be like they were in the beginning of the game camping the bigger mobs and bosses for exp.

A possible solution could be the higher level you become the longer it takes the mob to aggro. Kinda like the stleath mode. example time is flexible your 1 level higher than the mob it takes say 3 seconds before they aggro and so on.

try running through the mobs yeah they may come after you for a bit but if you turn your companion on to follow you out run just about anything.

when indoubt ,over matched, or just plain bored (RUN AWAY!!) :D