Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit

CourtneyWoods

Today, we are pleased to announce the first ever Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Guild Summit, being hosted in Austin, TX in March. Over the course of a few days, guild leaders from around the world will gather together to discuss the state of the game with the developers from BioWare Austin. Guild leaders (or a designated officer in the event of a guild leader being unable to attend) will participate in Q&A sessions with developers, roundtable feedback discussions, and will get a preview of some upcoming game features.

Read More

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just applied as I live locally and my guild is well represented on our server. I certainly hope Bioware picks some quality leaders from quality guilds and this summit is well received. Thanks BW for putting this together and we look forward to seeing you guys in March. Oh yeah, send MF our invite!

:)

This isn't bad, though, I do wonder if this will accomplish enough. Seeing the state of the game currently, I've been growing more and more concerned that the quality and expansiveness (or lack thereof) of the March patch will probably make or break this game from a population standpoint going forward. Edited by Blev

don't know if my leader can attend or not, if we even got invited or not. Can representatives be sent in the leader's place is my first question

edit: i just re-read it. sorry bout the pointless question.

Edited by Saseav

I like this idea, but the issue I see is the full cost of traveling being given to the attendee. I would think with this being a limited person event, that's being organized by EA/Bioware, some compensation could be made. I in no way believe or assume that EA/Bioware would, or should, completely cover the cost of so many people traveling, but surely some vouchers could be provided, arrangements of discount deals due to the event. Even CCP covers (or at least at one point covered) most of the charges for their Council of Stellar Management member's travel expenses, so certainly EA/Bioware should have the capability of providing some assistance to Officers or Leaders attending to lessen the financial strain of traveling in such economic times, especially considering the symbolic importance of bringing members of the player community into the process of development like this.

I went to a bunch of Dev MeetUps back when UO was owned by Origin here in Austin, and I can honestly say the devs were always more than willing to chat about just about anything. Not only that, but having an insight as to why certain things were made/implemented was always pretty cool.

I think this could be a huge opportunity. I'm hoping our guild gets selected, as we are located here in Austin-- and I won't have to travel. :)

An interesting idea I must say. Do we know if this event will be streamed or not? It would be nice for the rest of us who don't live in Texas to know what's going on too.

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out anyway.

I'm not being funny but seriously i am really impressed with the feedback that BW are willing to listen. I've been playing since early release and the one thing ive noticed compared to playing other MMO's is the feedback and 'general' honesty from BW. I hope there is some constructive feedback.

I'm not being funny but seriously i am really impressed with the feedback that BW are willing to listen. I've been playing since early release and the one thing ive noticed compared to playing other MMO's is the feedback and 'general' honesty from BW. I hope there is some constructive feedback.

tr00.

I like this idea, but the issue I see is the full cost of traveling being given to the attendee. I would think with this being a limited person event, that's being organized by EA/Bioware, some compensation could be made.

I'd bet that for the representatives of the guilds that Bioware pre-selected themselves, at least a part of the travel costs is being covered.

Also, something like this should have been done 2/3 years ago. It's still nice that you're doing it now, and the feedback is certainly going to be more focused than what you get here, but you probably could have profited a lot from including community representatives a lot earlier.

I think it’s imperative that Bioware add a virtual portion to the conference so that guild leaders do not have to travel to Austin for the event. They are going to get a lot more participation if people don’t have to fork over 1000’s of dollars in travel fees just to participate in a user feedback session.

They don’t have to open it up to everyone on the internet. They can still limit the virtual participation to pre-selected guild leaders. Just allow the guild leaders to participate virtually via streaming and webcams.

Big giant waste of money, resources (which is also money and time), time, and money.

Seriously, what does Bioware hope to accomplish? Are they really on the fence about what players want? Do they really expect people to shell out airfare or what have you to basically brainstorm ideas with the devs, and NOT get paid for it, like an employee would?

So now you expect your customers to pay travel fees, and lodging prices, to repeat what they've already told you, and what is wallpapered all over these forums.

It's bad enough we need to "suggest" the basic amenities of mmorpg gaming for free on these boards.

Now they want a mini-convention with select guild leaders? Can you possibly alienate your players more?

Is this really the best use of developer time? It almost seems like someone hasn't told them about one of the millions of online methods for communication, and this is the only way they can come up with, to interact with players.

You know what message this sends to the players Bioware? It tells us that everything we've said here on the boards, amounts to jock, and that even after you've been force fed feedback of all kinds, you still need some ridiculous stunt.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

guild leaders from around the world will gather together to discuss the state of the game .

Read More

I suggest you guys don't do this because you are going to get flamed so bad for what state the game is in right now. I would say fix the game(hint hint guild features hint hint) features first and do some nonsense like this.