Light vs. Dark Event and GSF

So one of the objectives for the "Light vs. Dark" event is to do 5 GSF matches for the "Ace Pilot" objective.

Although in theory this could increase the number of players, I'm afraid the reality is that it's going to increase the number of people throwing matches to get it out of the way. The swathe of self-destructers we get in "Clash in Hyperspace" or "Total Galactic War" event weeks is bad enough, this is only going to add to that I'm afraid.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So one of the objectives for the "Light vs. Dark" event is to do 5 GSF matches for the "Ace Pilot" objective.

Although in theory this could increase the number of players, I'm afraid the reality is that it's going to increase the number of people throwing matches to get it out of the way. The swathe of self-destructers we get in "Clash in Hyperspace" or "Total Galactic War" event weeks is bad enough, this is only going to add to that I'm afraid.

~ Eudoxia

I wanted to say "Thanks, Captain!", but then I realized that the 5 GSF objective is for legendary rank only, so the actual number of people attempting this may not be high, or even noticeable in between the various conquest farmers. Not to mention this particular objective may not be anywhere near the top of their list, so I am not exactly expecting locust swarms of kamikaze Legendary Victors-to-be on day one.

At any rate, I reserve judgement until the event hits.

Food for Thought -

In recent weeks I've started new toons on Harbinger and the GSF here is pretty fantastic. The factions are about equal. For the first time in years I've been in matches where both sides are full teams. Something to consider if you are tired of that 45 minute window for GSF on the other servers. I'm on East Coast and the server location seems to have little effect on my gameplay probably because of the Low Graphic Requirements of GSF. Again this is just helpful information being shared. If the LvD event requires new toons to be made then keep an open mind where you'd like to be.

Given the current feedback about the event - I would be willing to bet a few million credits that the event isn't going to have a noticeable impact on the queue. People might blame the event for the random new pilots they see, but you're more likely to see leechers and newbie pilots from conquest.

I agree with Roland. There's not going to be many people that even take the event that far and those that do, only have five flights needed across the entire thing. It's not like they have to master full hangers or anything.

Well, event's here, and TRE was swarmed with people new to GSF. I don't remember the last time I've seen 12v12 an hour before reset this early in the week.

That said, at least rep side, the new guys were not a massive drag. They listened, mostly, and basically you wouldn't be able to tell whether those guys are just farming event and screw everyone else, or players putting in decent effort in trying out new game mode to see if they like it. Not sure if imps had some guidance on their side, but I can't complain overmuch about the guys we got on our team, as I expected much much worse.

Wonder if it will hold, though.

~ Eudoxia

The problem is GSF penalizes anyone willing to give it a try with unbalanced teams of veteran grouped pilots in geared ships against players who literally have a basic ship. Frankly, GSF needs to grant everyone 1 ship that is Tier 3 to start. They can pick it. Or make the unlocks account wide. I'm literally enter matches that are auto lost based on no one on the team having anything but a starter ship.

They have to do something if they are going to keep pushing people to try GSF. I'd just say everyone gets everything unlocked. This notion of scaled balanced GSF is bad. At least give people the illusion they have a chance.

The problem is GSF penalizes anyone willing to give it a try with unbalanced teams of veteran grouped pilots in geared ships against players who literally have a basic ship.

Just a couple days ago, I did the intro quest on a toon I made up for the DvL event. I had two other people with me doing the same thing. We got a Denon and ended up just rolling the other team. Both teams consisted of new ships and no names that I was familiar with. So to say that "gear" in ships matters is a mistake.

There have also been multiple stock events on different servers that say the same thing. Not saying "gear" doesn't matter at all though is also wrong. If eight new ships are against eight mastered ships, then the fight might go differently. However, it's usually pilot skill that makes the difference.

Frankly, GSF needs to grant everyone 1 ship that is Tier 3 to start. They can pick it. Or make the unlocks account wide.

Just doing one lousy match gives them enough fleet comms from the starter mission to buy any ship they want.

Edited by HeatRacer

I'm someone who can't play GSF but is going for Legendary. I've done 3 matches so far. I've had a hit % of 5% or less, but at least I'm not intentionally self-destructing right?

Yes, that's right. See the guides in my signature if you're interested in getting some tips about improving.

Edited by Greezt

The problem is GSF penalizes anyone willing to give it a try with unbalanced teams of veteran grouped pilots in geared ships against players who literally have a basic ship. Frankly, GSF needs to grant everyone 1 ship that is Tier 3 to start. They can pick it. Or make the unlocks account wide. I'm literally enter matches that are auto lost based on no one on the team having anything but a starter ship.

They have to do something if they are going to keep pushing people to try GSF. I'd just say everyone gets everything unlocked. This notion of scaled balanced GSF is bad. At least give people the illusion they have a chance.

You can give a new player all the ships they want, it will not make a difference. You have to play in order to get good. I played 5 matches on a new toon for this event in a stock ship and topped the boards in 4 out of matches. Being competitive has very little to do with ships.

You can give a new player all the ships they want, it will not make a difference. You have to play in order to get good. I played 5 matches on a new toon for this event in a stock ship and topped the boards in 4 out of matches. Being competitive has very little to do with ships.

This. Very much this.

I was in a TDM on pub side on Shadowlands and some guy on our team decided it would be fun to see how many times he could self destruct. He got to 28 deaths, enough to completely change the result of the match, and of course made no offensive effort at all.

I hope this problem is not raising its ugly head again because of this event.

A couple of people in my guild with no experience ran GSF with me a couple of matches for the L vs D event. They weren't very good, as they expected, though each got a kill, but they tried their best and had some fun and I hope they will play more often and get good.

I was in a TDM on pub side on Shadowlands and some guy on our team decided it would be fun to see how many times he could self destruct. He got to 28 deaths, enough to completely change the result of the match, and of course made no offensive effort at all.

I hope this problem is not raising its ugly head again because of this event.

A couple of people in my guild with no experience ran GSF with me a couple of matches for the L vs D event. They weren't very good, as they expected, though each got a kill, but they tried their best and had some fun and I hope they will play more often and get good.

Had that. The only consolation is that people who do this will probably only stay for their 5 matches and vanish.

I'm definitely one of those people that tried GSF when it first came out for a match or two and never went back again. Not until this event, anyway! A few guildies and I queued up last night at least 10 times in a row for the achievement and we kept queuing after we got it. We suck, granted, and barely got kills (but did manage assists lol, some people having amazing shields and I felt like I was hitting them with water guns) and I personally want to continue the effort and try and fix my ship and hopefully improve. If nothing else, this event will get people to try it that probably wouldn't have before. It's sad to hear about trolls invading GSF though...like that guy that kept self-destructing on purpose. It's a waste of time if all he's going to do is give the other team points. :rolleyes: Edited by blindxsecrets

Good we agree. Just give out a fully geared ship or the equivalent coms to purchase 1 ship that is geared. That way I have a reasonable chance of not being farmed in the matches that feature clearly geared teams using voice coms and who have tons of matches played.

Zero kills and spawn camped isn't my idea of a good way to start players in your game.

Lets face it GSF is abandoned. Conceptually its a good idea, horribly implemented without resources to support it. Like any shooter just make everyone equal. This is a space shooter. Originally it was intended to operate like our pvp/pve. Its been abandoned. Just leave it the shooter. Give everyone geared out ship(s) and be done.

Knowing what a geared Gunship does vs. a Gunship with no upgrades is not fun and I am sure you do alright with a gunship. A stock fighter or stock Strike? Its like shooting spit balls.

No one is going to play to level in GSF. Those of us who bothered on alts? I am annoyed. Oh great ungeared gunship. ungeared scout I don't want and ungeared strike. Which junk ship do I want to die in for this week. I pray for the oh... no one else has a geared ship.

I'm sure we'd lose to the geared team. They play gsf. At least this would give those of us who have played as well a chance to help and maybe get a satellite and hold it so they cannot just farm the entire team.

Just putting it out their gsf moderator. You roll un geared in que on an alt. You should go against a geared team around 11pm eastern. Then rate your new player experience.

I'd give it a 1 out 5. Its too bad as GSF is ok once you have a descent ship. I wouldn't call it good or fun a lot of times, but its a space flight sim with star wars themes. As is with the gearing of ships?

Oh and I freely attempt to suiciding. I ask others to do it as well when I see the obvious guilded gsf players. I'd rather end the match fast in team death match then be farmed. Its like a lvl 10 in a lvl 65 wz. Ok. No shot. Just lose fast so we can get another match. Its better than trying to get a gsf queue to pop again.

Wait are you the same guy that posted this?

No MMO needs a solo queue were you cannot group with friends and play together. I agree that the team composition needs to be better and pulling from multiple servers is a huge plus. Cross faction? Sure.

What I don't like is when a player blames the players for grouping. You are fundamentally supposed to form a group in an MMO. The entire game and genre is about questing and grouping with friends. It drives my absolutely crazy to read threads bashing the players for grouping and queuing.

If you want to play alone MMO's are not for you. They are almost certainly not going to be designed for you. The entire solo play group content is exceptionally terrible for an MMO company to push forward. Instead of fixing the grouping mechanics Bioware has introduced solo everything. Next up will be Solo operations.

Solo play is fine to an extent. No one wants to group to level. Its more fun, but come on. Don't be mad because you got beat by a group when you refuse to even try and group up. Its literally the worst commentary and feedback. I want to play alone against other players and win and cannot in an MMO? That is seriously your complaint? Tell me you've got more than that as an issue? I mean I want 100 million credits to go on a crazy GTN shopping spree. If we are granting dumb requests start with mine.

Poor pvers. I had no idea that a pvp event made you rage quit the game. Maybe you can register with Bioware as a pve player, demonstrate how badly you perform at the game and get a skill called iwin. Which lets you instant kill anything. That way you won't ever die in the game and won't feel sad.

I mean who knew your soul was crushed instantly by dying in pvp. I was unaware of the sadness and loss you feel as you die to the two classes with no burst. I mean aren't you just free casting heals and dots with your Sorc's running around lol trolling? Oh that is right they kill you because you have no pvp gear. And you are in a pvp event in a designated pvp area. And during pvp you died. Oh how sad for you. Man I hope bioware figures out a way to really simplify pvp for you.

Maybe they can add some dumb boring PVE mechanics to kill you in the game. So that if we attack you to long we instant die because we didn't target swap. Something magically so you feel better about your elite useless pve skills. Oh sorry I didn't know I had to stand in exactly this spot. My bad my pvp skills be damned I take 1000% damage when attacking you from the rear. You have a butt shield. Lets me move over slightly to get off my maul. Should we tank swap at 5 stacks or 8 stacks? Who is clicking the buttons in the wrong puzzle order! Damn you steve. Its r5 l2, c3. Don't you have that committed to memory by now!!!! We all wiped trying to kill the pve player because of you! Ok roll on this piece of 204 pvp gear. Not you dork. You got something already.

Maybe we can do something like that in the pvp events so that you don't die as easily.

Proof:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8884754#post8884754

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8932267#post8932267

Edited by RickDagles

In addition to Siraka's great reply, I'm simply going to add what I wrote in the Are you for real thread:

On my main republic pilot, I have played 698 battles with only 398 wins, and earned a total lifetime ship req of over 955 k and fleet req of over 114k. I have every ship mastered, but I earned my ship masteries over twenty months prior to this post. Now, I have no idea how many of my wins came in the 20 months since I've mastered every ship. But I can promise you that upgrades simply do not equate to instant winning.

Many others in this thread have posted helpful links to threads, guides, and videos outlining strategies for choosing the right ship components and spending requisition to improve your effectiveness.

But, with nearly seventy times the number of matches as yourself and mastered ships, I'm still barely over 50/50 win rate. That doesn't include the GSF played on my imperial main or any of my alts, but my win rate isn't any better.

Skill in this game trumps everything. It happens in the ground game too: someone who is a pro at keybinds, target switching, etc but 204 pvp gear will probably outperform someone of the same discipline who is in 208 gear but terrible at those things. You don't have a 4:1 loss ratio because you are in non-upgraded ships. You have a poor win:loss ratio because you have a tiny fraction of the number of games veterans have. Did you feel this way the first time you wiped on HM Nefra? Or when you lost 6-0 at Huttball? Or did you put on your grown up pants and try to do better next time?

The bolded sentences are particularly relevant in light of Siraka's links. Seems like the poster needs a little of his own medicine. Or, maybe he thinks we should all be given free 208-rating optimized geared Sorcs to pvp with?

This event is a double edged sword for GSF.

On the good side it has brought people in, making things look like they did when went it first launched.

Yet on the bad side matches have become a mess. A great deal of bad habits being taught or learned, going TDM when it's a DOM and when they do a DOM right it's all about 3 caps (defense is a 4 letter word to many), far more people doing the lagging and teleporting things. Oh and people aren't really talking anymore not even the big mouths.